Options

U N C L E *B R U C E* S P R I N G S T E E N *

Comments

• Options
    ii44 wrote:
    Has anyone ordered a Magic vinyl from backstreets? Any idea when they ship?

I ordered one too, and I haven't heard anything about it shipping or anything else. I thought we were supposed to get it yesterday.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I just started getting into Bruce and so far I have listened to Nebraska, The River, and Devils and Dust. I love the slow haunting songs that make up the majority of Nebraska and Devils and Dust. I think The River is decent, some great songs, some filler.
    What albums should I look into next?

Also, why does everyone seem to hate Devils and Dust? I thought it sounded very similar to Nebraska, which seems to be a well liked album.

you have to listen to Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J, The Wild, The Innocent, & the E Street Shuffle, and Darkness on the Edge of Town. Those are the best in my opinion and are definitely essentials.
  • Options
    I still really enjoy devils and dust (except silver palamino) I'm hoping he arranges some of these songs (specifically the title track, all the way home and mariah's bed) for the E street as this tour progresses.
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    ii44 wrote:

I ordered it.. think delivery date is 10/2
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,125
    if anyone wants to hear it try this link, not sure if it's samples or the whole album:

http://www.q1043.com/pages/newsletter/
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    Scored 4 GA for Monday

sweet dude

i'm in!! ;)
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    if anyone wants to hear it try this link, not sure if it's samples or the whole album:

http://www.q1043.com/pages/newsletter/

keyword : bruce at Q104.3s website

its the entire album.

:)
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    ii44 wrote:

i received mine on monday.

the packing gatefold is fucking awesome.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I just heard about the 3rd show this afternoon on the radio.
    I was so sad driving by the Asbury Park exit on my way to Long Beach Island...
    No tix for Boston either..
    BUT....my friend that works for the NHL put in for 4 seats in the NHL box at msg for the show.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    there will be drops for the 3rd CAA rehearsal show.
    now the dilemna is

do i wait out at rockefeller plaza, to hear 3, maybe 4 songs ?

or do i wait at the dropline out in the swamps of jersey, to maybe get inside and hear an entire show ( the first show of the tour in a normal arena and stagesetup in that arena.

they actually set up the arena stage at convention hall ( i do not know why--- they used to use the stage at CH but this time they setup the actual tour stage inside convention hall and it took up half the floor & GA spots )
    see it here
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    pulled down this interesting info regarding the today show Friday morning:

Jim Bell Executive Producer:

1) bring a sleeping bag and come over the night before

2) might play 5 or 6 songs...may tape one for Weekend Today...usually artists don't go past 9AM but they lifted usual rules

3) they're going to put up a massive jumbotron near the skating rink

4) probably biggest crowd ever

5) might interview him live at around 8:15

6) who knows with bruce how long he'll actually play

7) one of their entertainment producers has connections and got Bruce to say OK to this

the whole 8:30 half our will be for bruce..might well be 2 songs, break, 2 songs break (830 half our usually has 2 breaks)

9) if it goes past 9am..so be it..remember today show is now 4 hours

10) might play promised land

this entire interview should be posted on wfan.com later on

for those who don't know: WFAN is the all sports talk radio station here in the NY/NJ area...mike and the mad dog is the #1 rated sports talk afternoon show in the US..one of there hosts, chris "mad dog" russo is a gigantic bruce fan, is going to opening night in hartford..and was playing cuts from magic which prompted the whole convo that ended up with jim bell being on the show
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Hinckley On Springsteen & ESB

nice piece:
    Bruce Springsteen still manages to surprise

Tuesday, September 25th 2007, 3:58 PM

Click photo for pix from Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's first rehearsal show.

At a Giants Stadium show during Bruce Springsteen's 1985 "Born In The U.S.A." tour, a front-row fan named Mark held up a sign saying "Thundercrack."

"Thundercrack" wasn't part of the top-10 hit run Bruce was enjoying at the time. It was a decade old and revered as one of his most exuberant, top-down, pure rock 'n' roll love songs:

She's straight from the Bronx
    Hung off the line
    She slips, she slides, she slops, she bops, she bumps, she grinds

Mark didn't get his request. But Monday night in Asbury Park's Convention Hall, 22 years later, Bruce dusted it off again.

Springsteen fans say he has the best fastball in rock 'n' roll, that no one has ever done a more consistently powerful live show. But as hard as he's worked on that fastball, he's spent the last 25 years working just as hard on his changeups and curveballs.

He could still be riding the "Born in the U.S.A." wave today. Instead, he's explored folk music, acoustic music, message music and whatever else his muse found tantalizing.

On the surface, Springsteen's new CD "Magic" and its accompanying E Street Band tour looks like your basic rock reunion. But Monday's show, an early draft of a work in progress, reconfirmed that Bruce is not the Stones, who play their hits - some of the best rock 'n' roll ever - the way the fans in the $450 seats like 'em.

The fact Monday's crowd loved "Born to Run" and "Promised Land" does not mean that's what the show will be about.

Equally important to Springsteen, it was clear, were the tracks from "Magic," which were written to be melodic, guitar-driven rock that flows together easily.

"Last to Die" and "Long Walk Home" blended well, for instance, and that's the kind of thing Bruce always works on.

His challenge at this point is that he's working with such a wide palate of music and ideas.

"Last to Die" and "Livin' in the Future" want you to think. "Girls In Their Summer Clothes" follows a Springsteen tradition of tucking a bittersweet reflection under a lovely rippling song.

He sang three songs from "The Rising" Monday, next to the earlier likes of "She's the One." He turned E Street into a version of last year's Sessions Band for "American Land," and then there's "Thundercrack."

The official tour starts next Wednesday in Hartford and comes to Continental Arena Oct. 9-10 and the Garden Oct. 17-18. So far it's sold out everywhere, in part no doubt from expectations about the E Street reunion.

This show clearly is that. But Bruce's best tours also have personalities of their own, and it's a safe bet he's looking for the combination of new and old that will shape this one.

In search of the thundercrack.

SET LIST

"Radio Nowhere"
    "No Surrender"
    "Gypsy Biker"
    "Empty Sky"
    "Something in the Night"
    "Girls in Their Summer Clothes"
    "Night"
    "The Promised Land"
    "Livin' in the Future"
    "Devil's Arcade"
    "Candy's Room"
    "She's the One"
    "Lonesome Day"
    "My Hometown"
    "The Rising"
    "Last To Die"
    "Long Walk Home"

Encore:
    "Thundercrack"
    "Born To Run"
    "Darlington County"
    "American Land"
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    hey bathgate what time should i head down to the today show if that says bring a sleeping bag
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    hey bathgate what time should i head down to the today show if that says bring a sleeping bag

i think he meant thursday night,....

but who knows for sure.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i think he meant thursday night,....

but who knows for sure.
    ahhhh ok, thanks

• Options
    ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i received mine on monday.

the packing gatefold is fucking awesome.

I can't wait. I've already listened to the leak, and I can't wait to make it legit.

here's hoping Bruce plays somewhere besides the Tacoma Dome when he comes tot the NW... and on a weekend.
  • Options
    ii44 wrote:
    here's hoping Bruce plays somewhere besides the Tacoma Dome when he comes tot the NW... and on a weekend.

Amen to both of those brother. That being said I think we should also get a show on the stadium leg. Safeco Field or Qwest Field
  • Options
    Just talked to the Fiancee,

Looks like Oakland/Bridge School may again be an option. For those of y'all who have seen Bruce before, is it worth going into debt/selling guitars for?
  • Options
    For those of y'all who have seen Bruce before, is it worth going into debt/selling guitars for?

definitely, without question .

:)
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    After reading about camping out in the Plaza and the largest crowds ever, I am not going tomorrow...:(
    I remember going to the tree lighting ceremony one year and it was mayhem. I am not good with big crowds like that...
    Have fun all of you braving it. :)
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    TrixieCat wrote:
    After reading about camping out in the Plaza and the largest crowds ever, I am not going tomorrow...:(
    I remember going to the tree lighting ceremony one year and it was mayhem. I am not good with big crowds like that...
    Have fun all of you braving it. :)

haha ummm 200,000 at lolla ???

but the bruce thing will be mayhem so i dont blame ya
  • Options
    Springsteen Will Jolt The Rock Scene At 'Today' Show

Springsteen will jolt the Rock scene at 'Today' show

By RICHARD HUFF
    DAILY NEWS TV EDITOR

Thursday, September 27th 2007, 4:00 AM

Rockefeller Center is expected to be packed with people tomorrow morning when Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band perform live on NBC's "Today" show.

To handle the huge crowd, producers are rearranging the normal concert routine, preparing for what they expect to be the biggest "Today" concert in a long, long time.

"The concert series is always extraordinarily popular here," said "Today" executive producer Jim Bell. "It's a free concert in the heart of Manhattan, with unusual access to be up close and see big-time performers doing their thing. With Springsteen, we're at another level."

To accommodate the crowd and the show, the usual stage setup will be flipped so that Springsteen and his band face 49th St. Large video screens will be installed in front of 30 Rockefeller Plaza, so that those away from the stage can see.

"The response has been incredible, as expected," said Bell, who credited senior producer Melissa Lonner for landing the concert. "It's the kind of thing that generates buzz beyond the typical concert."

Springsteen, who is on the show to launch his new CD, "Magic," is to do a "Today" interview at 8:20 a.m. As of yesterday, the band was expected to play at least five songs. Because Springsteen is known for playing more songs than planned, the show has permission to go beyond the standard 9 a.m. cutoff.

Springsteen is no stranger to "Today," having launched his CD "The Rising" in 2002 with a live concert from Asbury Park, N.J.

Bell likened the expectations for Springsteen to the Ricky Martin "Today" concert of the late '90s, which drew thousands to Rockefeller Center and locked up parts of town.

"I think we're going to be in that situation this Friday," Bell said. "It's going to be something unusual in terms of turnout. It's Bruce."

Sherry Ross On The Boss ( Yes the same writer who writes about Hockey and the NY Rangers )
    Bruce Springsteen brings the 'Magic' at second rehearsal

By SHERRY ROSS

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Wednesday, September 26th 2007, 8:26 PM

Print Email Suggest a Story

Bruce Springsteen brings it at Tuesday night's open rehearsal in Asbury Park.

Full moon over the boardwalk, Bruce and the E Street Band in the house. All is well in this little corner of New Jersey.

In the sweltering confines of what Springsteen playfully referred to as "the world-famous, air-conditioned Convention Hall" in Asbury Park, no one was complaining. On the second of two nights of rehearsal shows (there will be a third in the soulless cavern of the Continental Airlines Arena Friday night), Springsteen brought the heat, and the magic.

"Good evening, guinea pigs," Bruce announced, as the band trooped onstage just shy of 8:40 p.m. (the lateness due to drummer Max Weinberg pulling double duty as bandleader on "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" in the city).

The huge stage – more than twice the size of what the band used for the holiday shows at the same venue - ate up nearly half of the floor, which was all general admission (no wonder tickets were so hard to get). There was a big platform behind the stage, which should gladden the hearts of anyone holding "rear stage" tickets for any date on the tour.

Any concerns that the new material wouldn't mesh with the familiar vanished as Bruce called out "is there anybody alive out there?" The band ripped through "Radio Nowhere" (the first single, but not the best song by far, off the new CD), into the "Darkness" era's "Prove It All Night," melting into "Lonesome Day" from "The Rising," a hat trick encompassing almost 30 years of Bruce's career.

Even though "Magic" won't be officially released until Oct. 2, enough fans had already gotten their hands (and ears) on it to know the "na na na" chorus of "Livin' in the Future" (one of the few songs given a detailed political introduction and one Bruce described as the first written for the album). As with "Hungry Heart," "Livin'" has a jaunty melody that belies some of its darker undertones.

The new songs that are most enhanced by the live treatment live are the heartbreaking "Gypsy Biker" and the heartfelt "Long Walk Home." The latter makes me think of an older, wiser, more scarred but still optimistic narrator from "My Hometown" (which wasn't performed last night but was played at the first rehearsal show).

One snarky prediction: the beer run/bathroom break song will be "Town Called Heartbreak," which is showcased to bolster Patti Scialfa's solo CD.

For those keeping score at home, there were seven songs (out of the 12 album tracks) from "Magic." For lovers of the classics, the highlight moments were "Night" into "She's the One," and the rollicking "Thundercrack."

There was only a quick band intro at the end of the night. Surely by the time the shows start for real (Oct. 2 in Hartford), there will be a longer band intro and Bruce rap, if only to allow everyone to catch his or her breath. The show clocked in at a tight two hours.

Complete setlist: Radio Nowhere/Prove It All Night/Lonesome Day/Gypsy Biker/Magic/Night/She's the One/Livin' in the Future/Promised Land/Town Called Heartbreak/Darlington County/Born in the USA (full band; not acoustic)/Devil's Arcade/The Rising/Last to Die/Badlands.
    First encore: Girls in Their Summer Clothes/Thundercrack/Born to Run.
    Second encore: American Land
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,552
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Springsteen Will Jolt The Rock Scene At 'Today' Show

Springsteen will jolt the Rock scene at 'Today' show

By RICHARD HUFF
    DAILY NEWS TV EDITOR

Thursday, September 27th 2007, 4:00 AM

Rockefeller Center is expected to be packed with people tomorrow morning when Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band perform live on NBC's "Today" show.

To handle the huge crowd, producers are rearranging the normal concert routine, preparing for what they expect to be the biggest "Today" concert in a long, long time.

"The concert series is always extraordinarily popular here," said "Today" executive producer Jim Bell. "It's a free concert in the heart of Manhattan, with unusual access to be up close and see big-time performers doing their thing. With Springsteen, we're at another level."

To accommodate the crowd and the show, the usual stage setup will be flipped so that Springsteen and his band face 49th St. Large video screens will be installed in front of 30 Rockefeller Plaza, so that those away from the stage can see.

"The response has been incredible, as expected," said Bell, who credited senior producer Melissa Lonner for landing the concert. "It's the kind of thing that generates buzz beyond the typical concert."

Springsteen, who is on the show to launch his new CD, "Magic," is to do a "Today" interview at 8:20 a.m. As of yesterday, the band was expected to play at least five songs. Because Springsteen is known for playing more songs than planned, the show has permission to go beyond the standard 9 a.m. cutoff.

Springsteen is no stranger to "Today," having launched his CD "The Rising" in 2002 with a live concert from Asbury Park, N.J.

Bell likened the expectations for Springsteen to the Ricky Martin "Today" concert of the late '90s, which drew thousands to Rockefeller Center and locked up parts of town.

"I think we're going to be in that situation this Friday," Bell said. "It's going to be something unusual in terms of turnout. It's Bruce."

Sherry Ross On The Boss ( Yes the same writer who writes about Hockey and the NY Rangers )

Complete setlist: Radio Nowhere/Prove It All Night/Lonesome Day/Gypsy Biker/Magic/Night/She's the One/Livin' in the Future/Promised Land/Town Called Heartbreak/Darlington County/Born in the USA (full band; not acoustic)/Devil's Arcade/The Rising/Last to Die/Badlands.
    First encore: Girls in Their Summer Clothes/Thundercrack/Born to Run.
    Second encore: American Land

Born in the USA???? Woah.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:

bruce and ricky martin.

hmmmmm :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

NOT !
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    yeah im probably not going either tommrow, my legs are still sore from walking the around the city tuesday night and plus im not camping out at 11pm for this

• Options
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    check out the video for "Long Walk Home":

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily

the songs amazing, way better than those live versions with the Seeger band. sounds like something he could have written in the 70s
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    Did anyone go? Not that you would be telling us now..lol
    He totally kicked a$$ this morning.
    How cute was he saying how desperate he was to sell records that he was out there that early?? :)
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,125
    what else did he play? i only caught a few songs.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    what else did he play? i only caught a few songs.
    What did you hear? lol
    Wasn't he amazing?????
    I see my friend tomorrow that is trying to get me tix. I hope I can go! :)
    I am guessing you didn't go?