U N C L E *B R U C E* S P R I N G S T E E N *

Comments

• MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Posts: 1,188
    Newch91 wrote:
    Better Dan wrote:
    Listened to The River on vinyl for the first time the other day. Wow! It's amazing how much better it sounded. Almost like a completely new album for me.
    :thumbup: So, so good on vinyl.

I feel the same way too.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Exclusive footage of "Springsteen and I."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/video ... c-20130711
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Wow, great trailer! Thanks for sharing man!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Rome = Only The fourth performance of “New York City Serenade” of the 21st Century.

“Can you feel the spirit?” Bruce sings in falsetto, still hiding himself behind the stage while the organ notes of “Spirit in the Night” suddenly turn the vast Roman hippodrome into the Main Point, Max’s Kansas City, or one of those other clubs where the E Street Band used to stir the crowd into rapture back in 1973. That July, Springsteen was a promising singer-songwriter wrestling with the recording of his second album, The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle. 40 years have passed, but he’s still that visionary artist, always in search of perfection: in fact, he rehearsed for two days in a small club in Rome to prepare the biggest surprise of the tour so far. But I’m getting ahead of myself…

After “Spirit in the Night,” the one-two punch of “My Love Will Not Let You Down” and “Badlands” was just the warm-up for an energetic first part of the show, with “Roulette,” “Lucky Town,” and a trio of rock ’n’ rollers, “Summertime Blues,” “Stand on It,” and “Working on the Highway,” all played by request. Then Bruce let the crowd choose between two signs, “Candy’s Room” and “Brilliant Disguise,” but he ended up playing both of them, with a stunning “She’s the One” in the middle.

Already a great, great show. But then… “Kitty’s Back,” the first one of 2013, and for 15 minutes we were all back to 1973 again. And, wait a minute… What’s next? Is it really “Incident on 57th Street?” Yes it is, and when Bruce’s own West Side Story is about to end with Roy’s carillon-like outro on the piano, almost everybody in the field starts to dream about “Rosalita,” as it is next in sequence on The Wild, the Innocent & The E Street Shuffle. Boom! Delivered! This show is becoming a real event. Now, don’t tell me that the sequence will go on with “New York City Serenade”…

It did. The fourth performance of “New York City Serenade” of the 21st Century, obviously a tour premiere, broke the hearts of all 35,000 gathered in the Eternal City. I’ve never heard this song played so well: for the piano intro Roy followed the score, coloring the jazzy original of David Sancious with his romantic touch, and a string section from the Roma Sinfonietta (Morricone’s orchestra) helped the band wrap up this unforgettable present that Bruce wanted to give to his Italian fans. Some magic happened when he was singing “hook up to the night train” and a night train actually crossed the railway at the right-hand side of the hippodrome—a real surprise!

The rest of the setlist was standard, with “Land of Hope and Dreams” closing the main set and “Born in the U.S.A.” and “Born to Run” opening the encores. For “Dancing in the Dark” Bruce invited on stage a girl holding a big sign: “If you dance with me, he will marry me,” Bruce hauled her boyfriend up, too, forcing him to kneel down and make the promise. “Twist and Shout” and “Shout” followed “Tenth Avenue Freeze-out,” and a moving “Thunder Road” played acoustic by Bruce ended the best show of the Wrecking Ball Tour.

Did we feel the spirit? You bet your life.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    platessmall.jpg
    So I guess there's no longer any hope he will be returning to the states this fall? :cry:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    Better Dan wrote:
    So I guess there's no longer any hope he will be returning to the states this fall? :cry:
    :cry: I would have loved a Bruce and PJ show in the fall.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I picked up the Darkness on the Edge of Town deluxe bluray set. I have the album and The Promise on vinyl but was swayed by the 3 blurays which have the entire album performed live in 09 plus the behind the scenes of the recording process and a complete live performance from Houston in 1978.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    youngster wrote:
    I picked up the Darkness on the Edge of Town deluxe bluray set. I have the album and The Promise on vinyl but was swayed by the 3 blurays which have the entire album performed live in 09 plus the behind the scenes of the recording process and a complete live performance from Houston in 1978.
    Hands down, probably the best reissue set for an album I've ever seen and owned.
    Newch91 wrote:
    youngster wrote:
    Hands down, probably the best reissue set for an album I've ever seen and owned.

Yes, it's a great set! Love the 09 album performance and all the bonus features on that disc (includes both studio and concert footage). I haven't watched Houston since I picked up the set. Might need to put it on this weekend. :)
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,272
    darkness box set was a must have
    bought it 2 weeks ago
    was hoping it would come down in price like the BTR box set did, but...
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Anyone going to springsteen and I tonight? I think I'm gonna try next Tuesday
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    Tonight in Cardiff. TV Movie world premiere. Janey Don't You Lose Heart solo acoustic. These shows have had heaps of surprises. Hope he comes back to Europe next year... :)

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bruce-spr ... 69bf6.html
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
    veddertown wrote:
    Tonight in Cardiff. TV Movie world premiere. Janey Don't You Lose Heart solo acoustic. These shows have had heaps of surprises. Hope he comes back to Europe next year... :)

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bruce-spr ... 69bf6.html
    He needs to tour here again, first. ;)

Tonight's Cardiff set list is just unreal.
    only a handful of shows remaining,
    i think Bruce will take a long deserved break before anymore ( US ) shows.

I had to laugh at that article floating around for the " Greatest American Band " and they put PJ number one ( not a problem with that as I might do the same ) but Bruce and company tied for 15th, with Creedance.
    Whatkind of crap is that?

really?

15th ?

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/col ... andy_x.htm

:nono: :nono: :crazy:
    platessmall.jpg
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Bathgate66 wrote:

I had to laugh at that article floating around for the " Greatest American Band " and they put PJ number one ( not a problem with that as I might do the same ) but Bruce and company tied for 15th, with Creedance.

really?

15th ?

Yeah there are some headscratchers on that list, the only american in Fleetwood Mac is Stevie :lol:
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bruce-spr ... 691ce.html

Another gem of a show just finished in Leeds. Slightly shorter than recent shows but still broke the 3hr mark. Quality not quantity etc... :D

A few more tour premieres and really interesting first third but I think the acoustic solo If I Should Fall Behind would have been worth the trip alone... :shock:

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Bathgate66 wrote:

really?

15th ?

Bruce and E Street and PJ tied at #1 for me.\

Here are two options Bruce may do if he takes an extended break:
    1) "River" reissue
    2) New album
    veddertown wrote:
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bruce-springsteen/2013/first-direct-arena-leeds-england-bc691ce.html

Another gem of a show just finished in Leeds. Slightly shorter than recent shows but still broke the 3hr mark. Quality not quantity etc... :D

A few more tour premieres and really interesting first third but I think the acoustic solo If I Should Fall Behind would have been worth the trip alone... :shock:

some of those preshow sets by Bruce really shocked the entire universe !
    Awesome shows and rarities o'er there on the other side. !
    platessmall.jpg
    Newch91 wrote:
    Bruce and E Street and PJ tied at #1 for me.

ditto

:thumbup:
    platessmall.jpg
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Posts: 1,188
    Anyone seen the film, Springsteen & I? I enjoyed it very much....lots of funny moments, lots of touching moments, couple of creepy moments.
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Hello Springsteen officionados - I'm listening to Working on a Dream, and thinking how horrible the 'production' is - a real let down after Magic. What do others think? Does this record sound any good to anyone in the universe?
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
    I think from the more recent albums it is a pretty poor effort. I love The Rising, Magic and Wrecking Ball, all very good but Working On A Dream is drastically short of standout songs and I find it a pretty tedious affair all round. Wrecking Ball on the other hand is sheer class! :D

• tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    veddertown wrote:
    I think from the more recent albums it is a pretty poor effort. I love The Rising, Magic and Wrecking Ball, all very good but Working On A Dream is drastically short of standout songs and I find it a pretty tedious affair all round. Wrecking Ball on the other hand is sheer class! :D

Yes I get on very well with Wrecking Ball too. At the moment though I'm trying to understand where Working on a Dream is coming from. It's growing on me slowly!
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • LanternjawLanternjaw Posts: 553
    Anyone seen the film, Springsteen & I? I enjoyed it very much....lots of funny moments, lots of touching moments, couple of creepy moments.
    I went and saw it with my daughters on Monday.... I felt about the same as you did.

Although the anecdotes were sweet, I loved the vintage cuts of Springsteen on stage. Many of them I had seen already, but seeing them on a giant HD digital screen was really nice, and the acoustic Thunder Road that played right after the film was very nostalgic, as I saw Bruce open the Fenway2 show in 2012 with that...

I told my daughter to submit something for consideration when they were calling for material... The old bones in this thread have seen it, but proud papa always has to throw it out there:

Alexis and Bruce in Albany, 2012:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSiR2wqz ... e=youtu.be

:D:D:D
    Lanternjaw wrote:
    I went and saw it with my daughters on Monday.... I felt about the same as you did.

Although the anecdotes were sweet, I loved the vintage cuts of Springsteen on stage. Many of them I had seen already, but seeing them on a giant HD digital screen was really nice, and the acoustic Thunder Road that played right after the film was very nostalgic, as I saw Bruce open the Fenway2 show in 2012 with that...

I told my daughter to submit something for consideration when they were calling for material... The old bones in this thread have seen it, but proud papa always has to throw it out there:

:clap::clap::clap:
  • LanternjawLanternjaw Posts: 553
    Newch91 wrote:
    Lanternjaw wrote:

:clap::clap::clap:

Lol -- thanks!

We'll have to hook up in Hartford for a round of brews and Bruce banter. I'll be there with both daughters and we're staying at the adjacent Hilton so lets make it happen... :)
    Lanternjaw wrote:
    Lol -- thanks!

We'll have to hook up in Hartford for a round of brews and Bruce banter. I'll be there with both daughters and we're staying at the adjacent Hilton so lets make it happen... :)
    Sounds like a plan! It will be a good time at the pre-party. Perfect for me: no Friday classes and will try to get that Friday off so I don't have to work at all.
    I'm guessing a small South American tour and then that's it for touring for this year and a majority of next year?
    tremors wrote:
    veddertown wrote:

Yes I get on very well with Wrecking Ball too. At the moment though I'm trying to understand where Working on a Dream is coming from. It's growing on me slowly!

I have a hard time with Working on a Dream. Not only are the songs not that good, but I think the production/mixing/mastering sounds horrible and makes it difficult for me to get through more than a few songs on the album at a time.