That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    I dragged this in off the porch.

Bruce Springsteen will be honored as MusiCares Person of the Year during Grammy week with a tribute event featuring performances by some of the biggest names in music, including Elton John, Mumford & Sons and Kenny Chesney.

The annual event -- now in its 23rd year -- celebrates a star's artistic accomplishments as well as their philanthropic work. Previous honorees include Bono, Tony Bennett, Aretha Franklin and last year's man of the hour, Paul McCartney.

The sold-out tribute event will take place Feb. 8 in Los Angeles -- two days before the Grammy Awards air on CBS -- and will be hosted by Jon Stewart.

Other announced performers include Alabama Shakes, Jackson Browne, Ben Harper, Emmylou Harris, Faith Hill, Jim James, Juanes, John Legend, Natalie Maines, Tim McGraw, Tom Morello, Patti Smith, Mavis Staples, Sting, Eddie Vedder and Neil Young.

Attendees will also include Neil Portnow, President/CEO of MusiCares and The Recording Academy; Scott Pascucci, MusiCares Foundation Board Chair; and Paul Caine, MusiCares Board Chair Emeritus. The night's musical director is Rob Mathes.

Proceeds go to MusiCares, which provides support to struggling musicians who are in financial, medical and personal need.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Will it air? I know Palladia has aired the Neil Young one and was hoping the Paul McCartney would air but it hasn't. I'd like to see the Bruce one air. Not keen on some of the performers, though.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    I dragged this in off the porch.

Bruce Springsteen will be honored as MusiCares Person of the Year during Grammy week with a tribute event featuring performances by some of the biggest names in music, including Elton John, Mumford & Sons and Kenny Chesney.

The annual event -- now in its 23rd year -- celebrates a star's artistic accomplishments as well as their philanthropic work. Previous honorees include Bono, Tony Bennett, Aretha Franklin and last year's man of the hour, Paul McCartney.

The sold-out tribute event will take place Feb. 8 in Los Angeles -- two days before the Grammy Awards air on CBS -- and will be hosted by Jon Stewart.

Other announced performers include Alabama Shakes, Jackson Browne, Ben Harper, Emmylou Harris, Faith Hill, Jim James, Juanes, John Legend, Natalie Maines, Tim McGraw, Tom Morello, Patti Smith, Mavis Staples, Sting, Eddie Vedder and Neil Young.

Attendees will also include Neil Portnow, President/CEO of MusiCares and The Recording Academy; Scott Pascucci, MusiCares Foundation Board Chair; and Paul Caine, MusiCares Board Chair Emeritus. The night's musical director is Rob Mathes.

Proceeds go to MusiCares, which provides support to struggling musicians who are in financial, medical and personal need.

damn neil, morello, eddie and jim james.... wow.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Will it air? I know Palladia has aired the Neil Young one and was hoping the Paul McCartney would air but it hasn't. I'd like to see the Bruce one air. Not keen on some of the performers, though.

I sure hope so, either way.
    I was even hoping for a Pay Per View.

Wide range from rock to country.
    i will definiytely be watching and cant help but wonder what Ed will perform.
    He has already done so many, wonder if we'll get a repeat or yet another cover.

I'll be watching if at all possible.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

"My City of Ruins" again? "Reason to Believe" would be pretty sweet.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

"My City of Ruins" again? "Reason to Believe" would be pretty sweet.

Ed just recently covered ' Reason To Believe ' in Ft Lauderdale. I have only chatted with 1 person who was there, and he was blown away when he heard Ed covering it. Still cannot find it anywhere on youtube or even the Vineyard over at BTX .
    I've heard or heard of Ed covering quite a few ;
    Growin Up in Holmdel 2003
    Atlantic City in AC 2005
    State Trooper in Philly / Tower Theatre
    One Step Up demo
    Darkness On The Edge of Town 2004
    No Surrender 2004
    Trapped ( with ESB Chicago )
    My Hometown
    My City Of Ruins
    The Promised Land ( with Sleater Kinney ) 2005 Philly
    Open All Night
    Drive All Night
    I'm sure I missed one or a couple,.....
    will look forward to whatever he pulls out of his sleeve.

:)
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Eddie seems to cover a lot from "Nebraska."
  • Options
    If any of you can, download the October 2nd and 3rd shows from the Giants Stadium shows in 2009. Unbelievable soundboard quality.
  • Options
  • Options
    The Live Top 50

https://brucebase.wikispaces.com/The+Live+Top+50

Listed below are the 50 songs most frequently played in concert. The counts are generated via Brucebase's listings, and are accurate as of January 1, 2013. Many setlists from the early years are unknown or incomplete, so obviously the counts are not totally accurate. However, the counts of songs released after 1980 should be correct. Click on a song title for details of when and where it has been performed. See also our list displaying the number of times every song has been played, sorted by album.

Born To Run 1291
    Badlands 1034
    The Promised Land 1031
    Thunder Road 1020
    Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) 712
    Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out 674
    Born In The USA 672
    Darkness On The Edge Of Town 660
    Prove It All Night 623
    Hungry Heart 599
    Dancing In The Dark 598
    Out In The Street 588
    Bobby Jean 585
    Jungleland 578
    The River 573
    She's The One 552
    Glory Days 507
    Spirit In The Night 488
    The Rising 473
    Backstreets 452
    Ramrod 423
    Cadillac Ranch 419
    Detroit Medley 395
    Two Hearts 394
    Land Of Hope And Dreams 392
    Because The Night 388
    Twist And Shout 383
    Johnny 99 355
    Waitin' On A Sunny Day 352
    Lonesome Day 344
    Light Of Day 343
    Racing In The Street 338
    Working On The Highway 336
    Atlantic City 333
    Darlington County 322
    Cover Me 322
    No Surrender 317
    Growin' Up 302
    The Ghost Of Tom Joad 292
    If I Should Fall Behind 283
    Adam Raised A Cain 280
    My Hometown 277
    You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch) 277
    Youngstown 273
    My City Of Ruins 264
    I'm On Fire 257
    4th Of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) 254
    Sherry Darling 242
    Murder Incorporated 238
    The Ties That Bind 233
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    Don't care for them.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

I agree.
    I think its obviously because we arent seeing a full pearl jam cover of a Bruce/ESB song.
    Its Ed pulling it acoustically off on his own.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

I agree.
    I think its obviously because we arent seeing a full pearl jam cover of a Bruce/ESB song.
    What song could PJ cover?
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

I agree.
    What song could PJ cover?

something heavy;maybe:

murder incorporated
    candys room
    badlands
    youngstown
    the river
    i would love to hear so many full pearl jam band covers,..
    :lol:
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    something heavy;maybe:

murder incorporated
    candys room
    badlands
    youngstown
    the river
    Obviously they'd have to bring Jake in for a couple of them. I would definitely love to hear them do "Murder Incorporated." Ahh! I'm getting excited at the thought of them doing it.
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:

I'm a big MMJ fan and think that's awesome! Thanks for posting.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Bruce recorded "Nebraska" 31 years ago today.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Bruce recorded "Nebraska" 31 years ago today.

That's what I'll be listening to on the train ride home then :D
  • Options
    .....and now 40 years ago 'Greetings From Asbury Park' was released,..

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/bruce-sp ... -released/

Bruce-Springsteen-Columbia-Records.jpeg

Columbia Records
    It would take a few years before anybody realized it, but 40 years ago today (Jan. 5) a rock and roll revolution was launched from an unlikely place. Bruce Springsteen‘s debut album, ‘Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.,’ was released upon an unsuspecting world on Jan. 5, 1973.

Seven months earlier Springsteen, playing acoustic guitar, had passed an audition at Columbia Records with John Hammond, the legendary A&R man who had signed Bob Dylan, Aretha Franklin, Billie Holiday and many others to the label. Hammond heard the verbal dexterity in such songs as ‘Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street,’ ‘It’s Hard to Be a Saint in the City’ and the unreleased ‘If I Was the Priest’ and thought he had found the new Dylan. He wanted to record a mostly acoustic album in the singer-songwriter mode.

Springsteen, however, had been honing his craft for the previous six years or so in a variety of rock bands on the Jersey Shore, and didn’t see himself as a folkie. A compromise was reached: Springsteen would be allowed to bring in a band, but only in a limited capacity.

He hired a few of the local musicians he had played with over the years — notably keyboardist David Sancious, bassist Garry Tallent and drummer Vini “Mad Dog” Lopez — to flesh out his sound on many of the tracks, with saxophonist Clarence Clemons joining in on ‘Spirit in the Night.’ The five – with organist Danny Federici – would soon become known as the E Street Band.

However, the need to scale back the sound meant that Springsteen’s best friend, guitarist Steve Van Zandt, was told to go home on the day of the first session. Van Zandt was so hurt that he quit playing music for nearly two years.

The result of those sessions was either a strong album with a few duds, or a weak record with enough winners to justify Hammond’s belief. The opening one-two punch of ‘Blinded by the Light’ and ‘Growin’ Up’ set the tone for Springsteen’s brand of loose, verbose folk-rock. ‘Blinded’ would further the Dylan analogy when Manfred Mann’s Earth Band, who covered their share of Dylan tunes, took it to No. 1 in 1976, making it the only Springsteen song to ever top Billboard’s Hot 100.

‘Lost in the Flood’ and ‘It’s Hard to Be a Saint in the City’ were stripped of their power through the scaled-back arrangements (although, conversely, ‘For You’ would gain poignancy when Springsteen performed it solo on the piano). ‘Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street’ is a slight-but-fun romp, and the acoustic numbers, ‘Mary Queen of Arkansas’ and ‘The Angel,’ were the album’s weakest. Its most famous track, ‘Spirit in the Night,’ remains an important part of Springsteen’s legendary live shows to this day.

At the time, Columbia’s policy stated that debut albums had to feature a large photo of the act on the cover. But Springsteen felt that a vintage postcard he found in a shop in his hometown was more fitting, not only for its scenes of boardwalk bliss, but also for the title. Surprisingly, his label agreed, putting the oceanside resort town on the map for the rest of the world.

But despite having the full support of a major label and strong reviews, ‘Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.’ fell on deaf ears upon its release. As Victor Wasylczenko — owner of a record store in Freehold, where Springsteen was raised — told author Peter Ames Carlin, “I sold more Partridge Family albums than I did of Bruce that first day. I had record-breaking numbers on the Partridges, in Bruce’s hometown, the day his first album came out.”

But there’s a reason why, these days, Danny Bonaduce does reality shows and morning radio while Springsteen sells out arenas. Springsteen was too talented to be kept down for long. After his second album, ‘The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle” sold even less than his debut, Springsteen would hit the big time with ‘Born to Run,’ and he would stay on top for decades to come.

On Nov. 22, 2009, Springsteen closed out the ‘Working on a Dream’ tour in Buffalo by playing the ‘Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.’ album in its entirety. “This was the miracle,” he told the crowd. “This was the record that took us from way below zero to…one.” The performance was dedicated to former manager Mike Appel, who bullied Hammond’s secretary into giving his client an audition, and was in attendance. It was the last concert Clarence Clemons would play with the E Street Band before his passing on June 18, 2011.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    I will be listening to "Greetings..." on full blast right after I listen to Petty's "Wildflowers" album.
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    .....and now 40 years ago 'Greetings From Asbury Park' was released,..

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/bruce-sp ... -released/

Bruce-Springsteen-Columbia-Records.jpeg

Columbia Records
    It would take a few years before anybody realized it, but 40 years ago today (Jan. 5) a rock and roll revolution was launched from an unlikely place. Bruce Springsteen‘s debut album, ‘Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.,’ was released upon an unsuspecting world on Jan. 5, 1973.

Seven months earlier Springsteen, playing acoustic guitar, had passed an audition at Columbia Records with John Hammond, the legendary A&R man who had signed Bob Dylan, Aretha Franklin, Billie Holiday and many others to the label. Hammond heard the verbal dexterity in such songs as ‘Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street,’ ‘It’s Hard to Be a Saint in the City’ and the unreleased ‘If I Was the Priest’ and thought he had found the new Dylan. He wanted to record a mostly acoustic album in the singer-songwriter mode.

Springsteen, however, had been honing his craft for the previous six years or so in a variety of rock bands on the Jersey Shore, and didn’t see himself as a folkie. A compromise was reached: Springsteen would be allowed to bring in a band, but only in a limited capacity.

He hired a few of the local musicians he had played with over the years — notably keyboardist David Sancious, bassist Garry Tallent and drummer Vini “Mad Dog” Lopez — to flesh out his sound on many of the tracks, with saxophonist Clarence Clemons joining in on ‘Spirit in the Night.’ The five – with organist Danny Federici – would soon become known as the E Street Band.

However, the need to scale back the sound meant that Springsteen’s best friend, guitarist Steve Van Zandt, was told to go home on the day of the first session. Van Zandt was so hurt that he quit playing music for nearly two years.

The result of those sessions was either a strong album with a few duds, or a weak record with enough winners to justify Hammond’s belief. The opening one-two punch of ‘Blinded by the Light’ and ‘Growin’ Up’ set the tone for Springsteen’s brand of loose, verbose folk-rock. ‘Blinded’ would further the Dylan analogy when Manfred Mann’s Earth Band, who covered their share of Dylan tunes, took it to No. 1 in 1976, making it the only Springsteen song to ever top Billboard’s Hot 100.

‘Lost in the Flood’ and ‘It’s Hard to Be a Saint in the City’ were stripped of their power through the scaled-back arrangements (although, conversely, ‘For You’ would gain poignancy when Springsteen performed it solo on the piano). ‘Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street’ is a slight-but-fun romp, and the acoustic numbers, ‘Mary Queen of Arkansas’ and ‘The Angel,’ were the album’s weakest. Its most famous track, ‘Spirit in the Night,’ remains an important part of Springsteen’s legendary live shows to this day.

At the time, Columbia’s policy stated that debut albums had to feature a large photo of the act on the cover. But Springsteen felt that a vintage postcard he found in a shop in his hometown was more fitting, not only for its scenes of boardwalk bliss, but also for the title. Surprisingly, his label agreed, putting the oceanside resort town on the map for the rest of the world.

But despite having the full support of a major label and strong reviews, ‘Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.’ fell on deaf ears upon its release. As Victor Wasylczenko — owner of a record store in Freehold, where Springsteen was raised — told author Peter Ames Carlin, “I sold more Partridge Family albums than I did of Bruce that first day. I had record-breaking numbers on the Partridges, in Bruce’s hometown, the day his first album came out.”

But there’s a reason why, these days, Danny Bonaduce does reality shows and morning radio while Springsteen sells out arenas. Springsteen was too talented to be kept down for long. After his second album, ‘The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle” sold even less than his debut, Springsteen would hit the big time with ‘Born to Run,’ and he would stay on top for decades to come.

On Nov. 22, 2009, Springsteen closed out the ‘Working on a Dream’ tour in Buffalo by playing the ‘Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.’ album in its entirety. “This was the miracle,” he told the crowd. “This was the record that took us from way below zero to…one.” The performance was dedicated to former manager Mike Appel, who bullied Hammond’s secretary into giving his client an audition, and was in attendance. It was the last concert Clarence Clemons would play with the E Street Band before his passing on June 18, 2011.
    Reading this got me wondering why PJ can't work out their differences with Dave A. If Bruce can have Mike Appel on the BTR and Darkness documentaries and dedicated the performance to him after the nasty fight they had, then I'm sure PJ can work out their differences with Dave A. Even Mike Appel was at that show, as the article says.
  • Options
    January 5th 1973 – Bruce Springsteen releases his debut album ‘Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.’ It was recorded in a single week :shock: and would only sell about 25,000 copies in its first year. ‘Blinded By The Light’ was released as a single but never made a splash in the charts. Manfred Mann would later cover Bruce’s ‘Blinded By The Light’ on their album, ‘The Roaring Silence,’ which would reach #1 in 1977 claiming its spot as the most popular version of the song. :clap:
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Reading this got me wondering why PJ can't work out their differences with Dave A. If Bruce can have Mike Appel on the BTR and Darkness documentaries and dedicated the performance to him after the nasty fight they had, then I'm sure PJ can work out their differences with Dave A. Even Mike Appel was at that show, as the article says.

Big difference from Dave who hardly got a mention in PJ20..and no comments from Dave in the PJ20 book right? :fp:
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Big difference from Dave who hardly got a mention in PJ20..and no comments from Dave in the PJ20 book right? :fp:
    I think the only mention he got in the movie was from Mike discussing the drummer situation.
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    edited January 2013
    Zoso wrote:

I saw them do this in Asbury Park and really enjoyed it.
    Post edited by Yefa on
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    Started the "Bruce" book by Peter Ames Carlin tonight. Really enjoying it so far. Up to where he gets his first guitars and music becoming his main thing.

Having coffee after 9 PM may not help me get to sleep anytime soon, but at least I'll have something to do during the night while I'm wide awake.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Bathgate66 wrote:

something heavy;maybe:

murder incorporated
    candys room
    badlands
    youngstown
    the river

candys room??? thats my favouritest springsteen song. has been for... lets just say a while... im not sure i could cope with hearing ed sing it.. however as i type this i can hear him singing it in my head.... but that doesnt mean i actually want to hear him sing it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say