Options

U N C L E *B R U C E* S P R I N G S T E E N *

Comments

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Happy 30 years "Nebraska"!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    another interesting tidbit

More birthday craziness ensued with a full band version of “In The Midnight Hour” as it now was actually the midnight hour and therefore September 23rd, Bruce’s birthday. Let it be noted that the E Street Band had not played this song live since New Years Eve in 1980.

I really hope to get my hands in this boot. I know all 3 of the NJ shws
    are availabe on one sight or another

There's 2 different versions on guitars 101, I'd go with the baker stuff one.

Yeah I signed up for the bakerstuff version off of the Vineland @ btx
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Happy 30 years "Nebraska"!

I had no idea.

bruce-springsteen-nebraska.jpg

When Bruce Springsteen started recording a batch of new songs to a four-track tape machine in his New Jersey bedroom in January 1982, he wasn’t planning to release an album. The acoustic demos were to be used as guidelines for the E Street Band, who would bring their epic heft to the two dozen or so songs Springsteen had recently written. But something happened along the way to Springsteen’s sixth album: The more he listened to the bare, stark songs on the cassette he carried around, the more he thought this was how they were supposed to sound.

The music (mostly recorded on acoustic guitar, harmonica and organ) certainly fit the mood of the lyrics. Unlike his previous albums – especially the one that preceded ‘Nebraska,’ 1980’s ‘The River’ – the new songs weren’t hopeful fist-pumping sing-alongs. In fact, they were downright desolate. From the opening title tune (based on the true story of a pair of teens who murdered 11 people during a week-long killing spree in 1958) to the closing ‘Reason to Believe’ (not as optimistic as its title lets on), ‘Nebraska’ is a 40-minute bum trip through America’s badlands.

There are tales of fateful last chances (‘Atlantic City’), haunted wayward brothers (‘Highway Patrolman’) and blue-collar workers pushed to their breaking points (‘Johnny 99’). ‘Open All Night,’ the album’s only song to feature an electric guitar, is also the LP’s only song to stray from the core themes of futility and despair.

Surprisingly, the album was a hit when it was released on Sept. 30, 1982. It reached No. 3 and has become one of the decade’s essential recordings. Over the years, Springsteen has reworked several of the songs in concert with the E Street Band, finally giving them the full-group treatment he originally intended. And a few of the leftover cuts – including the drastically different and downcast versions of ‘Born in the U.S.A.’ and ‘Downbound Train’ – ended up on his next album, 1984’s ‘Born in the U.S.A.’

‘Nebraska’ remains one of the best folk albums of the past 30 years. It’s rooted in tradition, but it’s also a crucial leap forward for Springsteen, who sharpened his narrative skills here and found an America that wasn’t an open-armed invitation to a land of hope and dreams. Sometimes it’s a very bad place populated by very bad people who’ve made some very bad decisions.

I wouldve loved to have heard those 2 original versions of BITUSA and Downbound Train.

:thumbup:
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Isn't the original version of BITUSA on "Tracks"?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Newch91 wrote:

I think so. It's amazing.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    didnt realize-- thanks ! I havent listened to tracks in a neon.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    youngster wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

I think so. It's amazing.
    Yes it is. Listening to that version with headphones is amazing. Feels like you're there.
  • Options
    Soon...
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Soon...

excited for you, ..
    i still may make the drive up north, depends.

Been tearing apart my apartment looking for my tracks box set, cant seem to find it.
    :( :x
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Soon...

excited for you, ..
    i still may make the drive up north, depends.

Been tearing apart my apartment looking for my tracks box set, cant seem to find it.
    :( :x
    :fp: Saw it at FYE used for $18. May have to jump on that if it's still available.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Soon...
    Yes... but not soon enough.

I may have to PM catfishdancing at the BTX and ask him to pretty-please start a Rochester thread like he did for the Buffalo show on the last tour (probably the most epic "rah-rah" thread I've ever seen).

Reference: http://www.backstreets.com/btx/viewtopi ... 3&t=167340 :D

(must be logged in at BTX to view)
  • Options
    Lanternjaw wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Soon...

I may have to PM catfishdancing at the BTX and ask him to pretty-please start a Rochester thread like he did for the Buffalo show on the last tour (probably the most epic "rah-rah" thread I've ever seen).

I should be on there more often.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Lanternjaw wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Soon...

I should be on there more often.
    HA!

well... it'll probably get deleted but I just posted a request! We'll see what happens! :lol:

edit: thread has legs! http://www.backstreets.com/btx/viewtopi ... 3&t=326250 :D
  • Options
    Pretty good deal on the Live from 75-85 CD Boxset on Popmarket. I picked it up friday as an impulse buy. I have it on vinyl but would love to have this on my ipod and bring in the truck from time to time. For $22 shipped you can't go wrong.

http://www.popmarket.com/bruce-springst ... ls/5822938

• Options
    youngster wrote:
    Pretty good deal on the Live from 75-85 CD Boxset on Popmarket. I picked it up friday as an impulse buy. I have it on vinyl but would love to have this on my ipod and bring in the truck from time to time. For $22 shipped you can't go wrong.

Got that before on Popmarket and it was a great deal. Still haven't heard it on vinyl but love having it on my iPod and CD in the car.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    youngster wrote:

Got that before on Popmarket and it was a great deal. Still haven't heard it on vinyl but love having it on my iPod and CD in the car.

It's actually cheaper for the 5 LP box set. I got it for $15 back in 05 or 06 at a used record store but I have seen them on Ebay for around $10 Buy it Now.

• Options
    youngster wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    youngster wrote:

It's actually cheaper for the 5 LP box set. I got it for $15 back in 05 or 06 at a used record store but I have seen them on Ebay for around $10 Buy it Now.
    Don't need to. My dad has it. I've listened to all the others he has (BTR, Darkness, The River, BITUSA) but haven't spun the live album yet.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Don't need to. My dad has it. I've listened to all the others he has (BTR, Darkness, The River, BITUSA) but haven't spun the live album yet.

Oh I see. When you get around to it, it sounds great. Doesn't everything sound better on wax? :)

• Options
    youngster wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Oh I see. When you get around to it, it sounds great. Doesn't everything sound better on wax? :)
    Indeed it does. Nebraska sounds great on vinyl.
  • Options
    426313_500981853245283_1939307013_n.jpg

Happy 25th birthday to Tunnel of Love – released on October 9, 1987.

In 1998, Q magazine readers voted Tunnel of Love the 91st greatest album of all time.

In 1989, the album was ranked #25 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the "100 greatest albums of the 1980s". In 2003, the same magazine ranked it at number 475 on their list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    An unbelievable follow-up to BITUSA. There was no way of topping that album and he pulls a 180 with "Tunnel of Love." "Brilliant Disguise" is one of his best songs. Listening to "One Step Up" and this song is absolutely brilliant. Anyone heard Eddie cover this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISEmp_o5Jl4
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    An unbelievable follow-up to BITUSA. There was no way of topping that album and he pulls a 180 with "Tunnel of Love." "Brilliant Disguise" is one of his best songs. Listening to "One Step Up" and this song is absolutely brilliant. Anyone heard Eddie cover this one?

love this cover .
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

love this cover .
    Me too. Has he done it at his solo shows? Would love to see him do it.

Chances of Bruce doing any of Tunnel songs at any of the shows soon?
  • Options
    This is awesome, especially the end. Can't wait for the book!

http://blogs.wickedlocal.com/springstee ... z28r42GPRc

SNEAK PREVIEW: Countdown to new Springsteen bio, ‘Bruce,’ by Peter Ames Carlin

There has been no shortage of Springsteen-related books of late, including the full-fledged bio Bruce Springsteen and the Promise of Rock ‘n’ Roll, which came out last June, and the exhaustive Boss timeline Bruce Springsteen FAQ that dropped just last week. So why should you save yet another spot on your bookshelf for Bruce, the bio coming Oct. 30 from music writer Peter Ames Carlin?

You’ll have to wait for my review for the details, but I’m more than halfway through the book now, and unless something really unexpected happens — say, the last 200 pages wind up being about Springsteen-related recipes or an in-depth side-by-side analysis of Stevie Van Zandt’s bandannas — I can say pretty unequivocally that not only should you be saving space, you can pretty much sweep all those other Bruce books to the side. This one is the real deal.

Some of that is certainly luck — Carlin had the good fortune to have the cooperation of the Springsteen camp, including the artist itself, which means a level of personal detail and insight typically missing from books like this. And — get this — they came to him. In the clip below you can hear the story in the author’s own words, along with some good background on what you’ll find in between the covers of Bruce.

But while the interviews are certainly a huge factor, Carlin’s skill in weaving the information into a fascinating history of an important artist is really what makes this one a keeper. I shouldn’t share much in the way of specific passages at this point, but I came across one I feel I must include here, if only to impart the type of personal stories that permeate the book — and to make certain Bruce Tramps I know swoon (not naming names). It’s about Springsteen and one of his girlfriend in the mid-70s, a recent college grad named Joy Hannan:
    Bruce belted along to the radio whenever he liked the song it played. And when a local station happened to spin a Frank Sinatra ballad while they were driving through a blizzard in Hannan’s Asbury Park neighborhood, Bruce pulled his truck to the curb, took his girlfriend by the hand, and pulled her gently onto the street, where he waltzed her around the street singing into her ear as the snow fell through the halos of the streetlights.

Darn it. Even I almost swooned.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,942
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    426313_500981853245283_1939307013_n.jpg

Happy 25th birthday to Tunnel of Love – released on October 9, 1987.

In 1998, Q magazine readers voted Tunnel of Love the 91st greatest album of all time.

In 1989, the album was ranked #25 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the "100 greatest albums of the 1980s". In 2003, the same magazine ranked it at number 475 on their list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.
    i call tunnel of love-lucky town the dark era of bruce. just awful albums and the hypocrisy of RS is laughable.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    i call tunnel of love-lucky town the dark era of bruce. just awful albums and the hypocrisy of RS is laughable.

You must mean the Human Touch/Lucky Town era with "the other band." :) Dark days, indeed. Fortunately he came back around in a big way. Tunnel of Love was an e-street album, though... and a pretty good one, although I haven't listened to it in ages. I'm a bigger fan of the grittier rock songs in his catalog and didn't really dig the twanginess that came with TOL.
  • Options
    Lanternjaw wrote:

You must mean the Human Touch/Lucky Town era with "the other band." :) Dark days, indeed. Fortunately he came back around in a big way. Tunnel of Love was an e-street album, though... and a pretty good one, although I haven't listened to it in ages. I'm a bigger fan of the grittier rock songs in his catalog and didn't really dig the twanginess that came with TOL.
    Tunnel of Love being an E Street album is debatable.
  • Options
    Lanternjaw wrote:

lol @ " the other band ". Wasn't Randy Jackson
    from American Idol on that/those albums?

:lol:

Agree that people expected more rock and roll for a follow up to BITUSA,
    but I still enjoy the introspective TOL album nonetheless.
    Thats why he's The Boss and can change his whole " thing " in 1 swift album,...
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    atfter tearing apart my apartment for a week,
    I finally found my Tracks boxset.

Listened this morning to disc 2
    ( cuz I wanted a refresh on the original BITUSA )

Alot of these songs:

a ) couldve easily been on BITUSA

and

2 ) I love some of these - Roulette ( reminds of the shore )
    Where the bands are , Loose ends .

platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Wish there was a way for me to see him in Pittsburgh on my birthday in 2 weeks...was pretty upset I had to miss the DC show last month but I had WAY bigger things to take care of. Can't wait til I get to see the Boss again- seeing his April DC show was probably the best decision I've made all year!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2