Options

U N C L E *B R U C E* S P R I N G S T E E N *

Comments

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Newch91 wrote:
    so this is how it went today...

first, the promise... then, the darkness on the edge of town... and I've just finished watching BS and ESB live in NYC 2001 DVD, thanks to popmarket.com... now it's time for Real Time with Bill Maher... I guess I will leave Live in Barcelona for tomorrow...
    That's hilarious! I just finished watching the first disc of the NYC DVD that I got from Pop Market last week.

I am watching Bruce Springsteen Live in Barcelona DVD, those people are insane, the crowd is as good as PJ in Buenos Aires... I'm thrilled, sound is at top volume, feels like I'm at the show, Dancing in the dark has just finished, the roar of the crowd is deafening...
    I've seen that one on TV before but I can't wait to rewatch it. I still have to watch disc 2 of the NYC DVD.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    Newch91 wrote:
    I've seen that one on TV before but I can't wait to rewatch it. I still have to watch disc 2 of the NYC DVD.

Watching the London Calling DVD, half way disc one... Out on the street, just fastastic...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,570
    Newch91 wrote:

Watching the London Calling DVD, half way disc one... Out on the street, just fastastic...

This DVD is awesome. I just love how you can see how much fun the band is having. I'm really debating skipping the Berlin PJ shows and doing the Springsteen shows in Paris.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

That DVD got me hooked on Bruce. After watching it, I was mad I didn't see him when he came to CT twice in 2009. Absolutely amazing DVD. I love that version of "Out On the Street". "Johnny 99" is also really fun to watch.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    Whatever happened to the legendary "master tape" of Bruce Springsteen's famed 1978 show at the Agora?

If he can get an approving nod from Springsteen's management, visionary Agora owner Henry LoConti hopes the recording can be heard by fans, and yield a Boss-scale benefit for the city that first embraced him 40 years ago.

For now, however, the reel-to-reel tape, handled only by gloved hands, rests in a vault at the Western Reserve Historical Society, where LoConti donated it.

Visitors can hear other Springsteen material on listening stations at the society, spokeswoman Angie Lowrie said, but that tape is not in a format to be included.

The tape, more than three hours long, was for a live album that never was. The show was the WMMS 10th anniversary concert of Aug. 9, 1978, for which more than 1,200 fans, who were awarded free tickets in a postcard giveaway, packed the Agora's original site on East 24th Street. Springsteen and the E Street Band, who had been touring since May, stayed in town for several days for it.

WMMS simulcast the concert live in stereo to a network of FM stations -- more than 30 of them, in LoConti's recollection, including Chicago and Detroit -- which made it one of Springsteen's most widely bootlegged shows. Former WMMS programmer John Gorman recalls in his book "The Buzzard" that Bob Seger told him he recorded it off the radio in Detroit, calling it "the greatest rock 'n' roll show I ever heard," and drummer Max Weinberg called it the best show the E Street Band ever did.

One audio feed from the show went to a production truck outside the Agora for radio.

agora1.jpgPeggy Turbett, The Plain DealerHenry LoConti would like to release the boxed set to support the Western Reserve Historical Society, but so far Springsteen's manager won't approve the release.

Another line, LoConti said, went directly upstairs to Agency Recording Studios, and was captured on 24-track tape for a possible album. That's the pristine master recording in the vault.

"It's one of the biggest bootlegs out there," LoConti said, which may explain why the album never happened. But he notes that bootlegs don't have the full show, because Springsteen played an encore after the radio broadcast ended, "and not the quality of 24-track."

LoConti recently made the recording into a very limited edition four-disc box set (so limited there were only 10 copies) that also included the 16-track recording of an hourlong Springsteen show at the Agora from June 1974, when the E Street Band included keyboardist David Sancious.

He sent copies to Springsteen, Miami Steve Van Zandt and Springsteen's management, asking permission to issue the set for sale, with all proceeds going to the Western Reserve Historical Society.

"Unfortunately," he said, "the manager said no."

But LoConti hasn't given up the idea. He would, in fact, like to take it up a notch with a higher-cost version of the box set that would add a DVD from an Aug. 30, 1978 show at the Agora with Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes. For its last 28 minutes, they're joined onstage by Springsteen, Miami Steve and Clarence Clemons, who came from playing a show at the Richfield Coliseum.

Five cameras recorded video because the show was being shot for the "Live at the Agora" TV series. Miami Steve would not allow the 28-minute closing jam to be used in the show, however, because he did not want the high-profile guests to take attention away from Southside Johnny.

LoConti hopes he now can get permission to use the video. In his vision, the money from the box sets would be used to give the historical society's Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum its own separate home in Midtown on the Euclid Corridor.

"I put the box set together for that purpose," he said. "It's a good-sounding album. And it's history."
    http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... sprin.html
  • Options
    I don't know why Landau is saying no. I wonder if Bruce is also saying no?
  • Options
    I wonder how great the Born In The USA 30th Anniversary reissue is gonna be... may be they are working on that...

• Options
    I wonder how great the Born In The USA 30th Anniversary reissue is gonna be... may be they are working on that...
    That would be a really good one, but we're still waiting on "The River" and "Nebraska". There were outtakes released on the "Tracks" collection.
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Newch91 wrote:
    That would be a really good one, but we're still waiting on "The River" and "Nebraska". There were outtakes released on the "Tracks" collection.

I wonder if they'll ever release the "Full Band" version of Nebraska, which is rumored to exist.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

I wonder if they'll ever release the "Full Band" version of Nebraska, which is rumored to exist.
    Yeah, that would be really interesting to hear. I know they've done full band versions of songs like "Atlantic City", "Mansion on the Hill", and "Johnny 99" live. I wonder if they resemble those versions. If he does reissue "Nebraska", I hope we get the full band version also.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Yeah, that would be really interesting to hear. I know they've done full band versions of songs like "Atlantic City", "Mansion on the Hill", and "Johnny 99" live. I wonder if they resemble those versions. If he does reissue "Nebraska", I hope we get the full band version also.

I absolutely love full band version of Reason to Believe that they've done live...great song..lots of energy!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

I absolutely love full band version of Reason to Believe that they've done live...great song..lots of energy!
    Never heard that one. Will have to look it up.
  • Options
    GivenToJam88GivenToJam88 NJ Posts: 1,187
    Newch91 wrote:
    Better Dan wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Never heard that one. Will have to look it up.

I got to hear it at Nassau 08 it was great!! Open All Night is another great one off Nebraska i cant stop listening to it. Eddie did a great cover of it at the beacon!
    2006: 5/28
    2008: 6/19, 6/24, 6/25
    2009: 6/14 (EV), 10/27, 10/28
    2010: 5/17
    2011: 6/21 (EV), 6/22 (EV), 9/11, 9/12
    2012: 9/2
    2013: 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/21, 10/22, 10/27, 11/23, 11/24
    2014: 10/19
    2016: 5/1, 5/2, 5/8
    2018: 8/20, 9/2, 9/4
  • Options
    Are there anymore full band versions of "Nebraska" that haven't been discussed in the last few posts?
  • Options
    This was a really good band performance of "Reason to Believe".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piMODx-_KYk
  • Options
  • Options
    MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    Newch91 wrote:
    Are there anymore full band versions of "Nebraska" that haven't been discussed in the last few posts?

There's Open All Night, Seeger Sessions band.
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,249
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    Even the outtakes for "Born in the USA" are incredible! Just heard Bruce's version of "Protection" that he wrote for Donna Summer. Amazing. I wonder how many songs he wrote for that album? I hope when he reissues the album that he puts all the outtakes on there, released and not released.

Here's "Protection".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMIs8Y23mBc
  • Options
    LanternjawLanternjaw Posts: 553
    Here's the best youtube video of Bruce's bustout of the extended guitar intro Prove It All Night (on hiatus since 1980) in Barcelona a few nights back... f'ing killer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH44kx24 ... re=related

Little Steven kills it on the outdo as well... wow -- what a holy grail moment for the hardcores in attendance! :shock:
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Lanternjaw wrote:
    Here's the best youtube video of Bruce's bustout of the extended guitar intro Prove It All Night (on hiatus since 1980) in Barcelona a few nights back... f'ing killer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH44kx24 ... re=related

Little Steven kills it on the outdo as well... wow -- what a holy grail moment for the hardcores in attendance! :shock:

:thumbup:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    30 song setlist and a 3 hour 21 minute show last night in Frankfurt. :shock:
  • Options
    Lanternjaw wrote:
    Amazing.
  • Options
    Lanternjaw wrote:

WOW!
  • Options
    Wait... here's the best video of the extended Prove It from Barcelona:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaULxVQ2 ... re=related

Until the next one comes along! :lol:
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,942
    Lanternjaw wrote:

:o :shock: :shock:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Lanternjaw wrote:

:o :shock: :shock:

Here's one of the epic 1978 versions... only a few were captured on video -- this one from the Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWos8TS9yaE
  • Options
    The Promise overdose weekend, saw all three DVD now ending with The Darkness CD... can't get enough of it... waiting for a friend for pizza, beer and Pearl Jam Twenty movie...

• Options
    Lanternjaw wrote:

Fantastic!! :D Go Steve!