For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    IN for tonight, and will be refreshing ESPN.com for NYR updates more times than I can count.
    :corn:
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Jwmcc wrote:
    IN for tonight, and will be refreshing ESPN.com for NYR updates more times than I can count.

you and me both ! I get the updates on my cellphone, so im good.

Rumour is this show will be off the hook.
    Last show stateside until they return from Europe.
    Tom Morello is out on the East Coast
    ( he was on Fallon Monday night with Ben Harper )
    so speculation is he will show up at tonights gig. :thumbup:

Totally psyched.
    Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce !

oh and Lets Go Rangers !!!
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    JenfarrJenfarr Posts: 644
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Jwmcc wrote:

Totally psyched.

Nice! Jwmcc (my husband) and I will be in 215...Where are you sitting?
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03
  • Options
    Jenfarr wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Jwmcc wrote:

Totally psyched.

Nice! Jwmcc (my husband) and I will be in 215...Where are you sitting?

The day of oriiginal onsales,...
    I got lucky and pulled Section 8
    Row 22 1 & 2 right on the aisle.
    I'll be there with my GF.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    JenfarrJenfarr Posts: 644
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    The day of oriiginal onsales,...
    I got lucky and pulled Section 8
    Row 22 1 & 2 right on the aisle.
    I'll be there with my GF.

That's great! We got our tickets day of original sale too, and we just took the first seats that popped up so we would be in the house!

Have a great time! And GO RANGERS!
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03
  • Options
    you guys enjoy the show too- gonna be crazygood !

A religious experience

http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/ ... s_aga.html

http://media.nola.com/tpphotos/photo/20 ... -large.jpg

I've been to many concerts over the years. But the 2012 Jazz Fest had a show for the ages, one that will always be remembered by anyone who was there. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band put on more than a show. It was more like a religious experience.

What can you say about a band that begins with six straight songs without stopping? What can you say about a performer who body surfs, pulls up people from the crowd to join him in song, dances with a slew of female audience members and runs around the stage and off the stage with more energy than performers half his age? Then when you think you've seen it all, he performs a slow melodic version of "When the Saints Go Marching In" toward the end of his show that would be suicidal for most ordinary performers.

My only beef for the day was that the guys in the video truck were so far behind Springsteen that we missed some of his best moves. The few people that I saw packing up their chairs in the middle of this show so that they could beat the traffic should be banned from Jazz Fest for life. Leaving early when the Boss is on stage is not only an insult to rock 'n'roll -- it's a sin!

Steven Scaffidi
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Bump!
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    Newch91 wrote:

Yes it is. Now for our turn to see him in Europe!
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

incredible

show/ show notes

Setlist:
    No Surrender
    We Take Care of Our Own
    Wrecking Ball
    Badlands
    Death to My Hometown
    My City of Ruins
    Bishop Danced
    It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City
    Jack of All Trades
    Candy's Room
    She's the One
    Shackled & Drawn
    Waitin' on a Sunny Day
    The Promised Land
    Talk to Me
    Apollo Medley
    The Rising
    Lonesome Day
    We Are Alive
    Land of Hope and Dreams
    The Weight
    Rocky Ground (with Michelle Moore)
    Born to Run
    Dancing in the Dark
    Rosalita
    Tenth Avenue Freeze-out

May 2 / Prudential Center / Newark, NJ
    Notes:It was a homecoming show, in a city Bruce has never played. Such an occasion is bound to be a bit strange. It was a leg-closer with a "Last Dance" feel — loosey-goosey, celebratory, loaded up with rarities — even though Bruce and the band will be back on stage in a mere week-and-a-half. It went from sloppy to fierce to holy-shit to predictable to party-time. Considering all that, it's no wonder there was little post-show consensus on this one; for my money, it was the most compelling concert I've caught since the Apollo. And through it all, Bruce seemed to be having the time of his life, without much of a care — which doesn't necessarily make for an intense show, but it makes for a night when anything can happen.

"No Surrender" kicked things off — only the second appearance of the song in a Wrecking Ball set, with the house lights bright, eventually going down just in time for the line "on the streets tonight the lights grow dim." The performance itself may have been on shaky ground, but it was a refreshing start, and they soon found a powerful groove on the traditional opening stretch. Max was particularly noteworthy as his powerhouse drums carried us from "We Take Care of Our Own" into "Wrecking Ball," just the beginning of a major workout for the Mighty One here in his hometown.

"Good evening, Newark, New Jersey!" Springsteen greeted the packed-to-the-rafters Pru Center before "My City of Ruins," taking care to salute this major Jersey city that he was, suprisingly, playing for the very first time. "Birthplace, not but two blocks from here, of the Mighty Max Weinberg himself! Birthplace of badass author Philip Roth. Birthplace — I think — of George Clinton: Parliament-Funkadelic, a lot of good soul coming out of Newark. [And if he was techincally mistaken, Clinton hailing originally from North Carolina, he was right in spirit: George formed the Parliaments in Newark in 1955.] In keeping with his loose, relaxed vibe, Bruce also had greetings for a specific pair right down front: "You two are psychotic — you guys are my stalkers, man..." Soon during Roll Call, he noted Patti Scialfa's absence, singing, "Ohhh, I'm lookin' for my baby... Where, oh where is my baby? Mr. Garry W. Tallent just won't do, I'm sorry! Patti's not here tonight — she's at home, keeping the kids out of our drug stash."

The whole place was into "City of Ruins," hands in the air all around; as the song ended, Bruce gave his positive appraisal: "This is a good building! This building feels good! So in honor of our first time here, we'll do something for the first time! You fans are gonna go, huh? Wha?" And he was right — "Bishop Danced" was a stunner. It may not be the most obscure of obscurities (it was officially released on Tracks, after all, in a live version from 1973 at Max's Kansas City). But it's close, with the shock value and long odds against its performance right up there with "Song for Orphans" in Trenton '05. Bruce hadn't performed the song in nearly 40 years, and never with the full E Street Band. And unlike the meandering "Song for Orphans," this one wasn't just cool in theory. Arranged for the full band, "Bishop Danced" was a blast, stretching out with multiple violin and accordion solos from Soozie and Charlie, Curtis rocking the washboard. Just like "Jack of All Trades" says, "We take the old, we make it new."

"Saint in the City" kept the rarities rolling, the Professor banging it out, Bruce and Steve facing each other at the end for their classic guitar call-and-response as Max's drumroll crescendoed the whole thing to a frenzy. "Jack of All Trades," its stoic majesty grounding the middle of the set, featured a moving solo from Nils, as Curt Ramm came down front on trumpet and Bruce beat that big bass drum. Then Max was on point again as the monster pairing of "Candy's Room" and "She's the One" showed off his versatility, power, and precision. Without feeling forced, everybody was getting a spotlight moment, Cindy coming down to shake it with Bruce at ceneter stage on "Shackled & Drawn," and even guitar tech Kevin Buell called out to the stage again for "Waitin' on a Sunny Day": "Kevin Buell! Where is Kevin Buell? This is my homeboy's 1,002nd show! Help me out..." and Kevin counted in, 1-2-3-4.

An audibled "Talk to Me" might have been slightly less fun without Patti around as a foil, but there was nothing else wrong with this one, a horn-heavy treat from The Promise, played here in Southside country by request for a sign that read "Talk to (or Kiss) Me on my Birthday." And whatever flirting Bruce couldn't do with his baby, he took straight to the crowd. If things lost a bit of steam from here to the end of the set, he picked it back up with a sublime "We Are Alive," nicely intro'd as he had in New Orleans: "Coming to the end of the Wrecking Ball album... I realized I needed to consult the spirits. I decided I'd throw a party for ghosts. The voices of the dead always inform the living. They always inform the future. They're always on your shoulder." "Land of Hope and Dreams" had the horns turned up, with the glorious noise from the brass and another strong showing from Max turning this occasional set-closer into a truly grand finale.

The encore was just the kind of communal party you want it to be, and another completely unexpected treasure (right up there with "Bishop Danced," really) lifted it up from the start. "These guys have been holding this sign all night," Bruce said, taking it from the front of the pit; and while anybody standing behind that sign surely hates to see the positive reinforcement, it was hard not to smile when Bruce turned it around: "PLAY 1 FOR LEVON. Up on Cripple Creek, The Weight, Atlantic City. RIP LEVON." After some strummng, Bruce said, "I used to play this one when we were real young..." but it was the E Street Band debut of "The Weight." Springsteen had plenty of kind words for the dear departed "Levon Helm, the great drummer of The Band... one of the greatest voices in country, rockabilly, and rock 'n' roll. Just staggering — while playing the drums! When I auditioned Max, I actually made him sing." Speaking of staggering... I mean, sure, we know the E Street Band is unstumpable, but it was still astounding that they were able to pull off this beautiful, confident tribute with so little notice. Bruce started on acoustic, soon Garry joined in, Charlie on organ, the horns... Max, Roy, the whole band making it happen and making sonic space for each other. And of course, they had plenty of help from the crowd, the whole darn place singing along on the chorus. From there Bruce didn't miss a beat, strumming his acoustic right into "Rocky Ground."

After a plug for Table to Table, it was houselights up for "Born to Run" (13 guitar windmills at the end, by my count), "Dancing in the Dark," and then, before "Tenth," a bonus "Rosalita": "Are your hands hurting? Is your back hurting? Is your voice hurting? Are your sexual organs stimulated? Are your sexual organs stimulated? Ahhh, not yet! This'll do it!" This third audible of the night did indeed take it all over the top, Bruce mugging with Steve, hugging the roadie who came out to replace his mic, dancing and running all over the stage, even bringing up a few enthusiastic kids at the end who were over the moon to share that moment. Ah, the Last Dance... Wait, huh? Wha? Not even close! "Thank you, New Jersey! We'll see you in September!"

And over in Europe, they know it's just the beginning.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    LanternjawLanternjaw Posts: 553
    Great review -- thanks for sharing and glad you had a great time! :)
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    I don't get why he still playing rocky ground. It's awful and just ruins the encore. If you wanna play something slow, play born in the usa acoustic or devils and dust. Hope to god he ditches it next time I see him.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Any rumors on whether Bruce will play more USA arenas in the fall?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:
    Any rumors on whether Bruce will play more USA arenas in the fall?

as far as theyve announced its all stadiums when they return from Europe,...
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Lanternjaw wrote:

this was off o0f backstreets--
    i cann0ot take credit-
    alltho it nailed the experience pretty well.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    GivenToJam88GivenToJam88 NJ Posts: 1,187
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Lanternjaw wrote:

i cann0ot take credit-

Best site for Bruce reviews!!!
    2006: 5/28
    2008: 6/19, 6/24, 6/25
    2009: 6/14 (EV), 10/27, 10/28
    2010: 5/17
    2011: 6/21 (EV), 6/22 (EV), 9/11, 9/12
    2012: 9/2
    2013: 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/21, 10/22, 10/27, 11/23, 11/24
    2014: 10/19
    2016: 5/1, 5/2, 5/8
    2018: 8/20, 9/2, 9/4
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Lanternjaw wrote:

i cann0ot take credit-

Best site for Bruce reviews!!!

:thumbup:
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Anyone here attending the European shows, UK in particular?
  • Options
    i cann0ot take credit-

Was that one of Stan's reviews? I talked with him at the Izod2 show in the pit line. He's always terrific.
  • Options
    Lanternjaw wrote:
    i cann0ot take credit-

Was that one of Stan's reviews? I talked with him at the Izod2 show in the pit line. He's always terrific.

http://www.backstreets.com/news.html
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Anyone see this? I've been wanting to read a book about Bruce and could not find one. This should be good.

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Bruce ... 0.facebook
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Anyone see this? I've been wanting to read a book about Bruce and could not find one. This should be good.

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Bruce ... 0.facebook

Wow, unprecedented access to Bruce and his bandmates. This should be the definitive biography. The two Dave Marsh books, Born To Run and Glory Days are a must-read also.
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Bruce at Fenway 8/14th.
    I'm in.
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    so this is how it went today...

first, the promise... then, the darkness on the edge of town... and I've just finished watching BS and ESB live in NYC 2001 DVD, thanks to popmarket.com... now it's time for Real Time with Bill Maher... I guess I will leave Live in Barcelona for tomorrow...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options

first, the promise... then, the darkness on the edge of town... and I've just finished watching BS and ESB live in NYC 2001 DVD, thanks to popmarket.com... now it's time for Real Time with Bill Maher... I guess I will leave Live in Barcelona for tomorrow...
    That's hilarious! I just finished watching the first disc of the NYC DVD that I got from Pop Market last week.
  • Options
    Bruce at Fenway 8/14th.
    I'm in.
    Me, too... :D
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    Newch91 wrote:

That's hilarious! I just finished watching the first disc of the NYC DVD that I got from Pop Market last week.

I am watching Bruce Springsteen Live in Barcelona DVD, those people are insane, the crowd is as good as PJ in Buenos Aires... I'm thrilled, sound is at top volume, feels like I'm at the show, Dancing in the dark has just finished, the roar of the crowd is deafening...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    Newch91 wrote:

I am watching Bruce Springsteen Live in Barcelona DVD, those people are insane, the crowd is as good as PJ in Buenos Aires... I'm thrilled, sound is at top volume, feels like I'm at the show, Dancing in the dark has just finished, the roar of the crowd is deafening...
    He's all over Europe for the next couple of months... including Barcelona again, if I'm not mistaken -- catch a show if you can! It's never too late to see Bruce. :D