Options

" ~~~ U2 ~~~ "

Comments

• Options
    jr19jr19 Posts: 338
    ok, bye bye. :twisted:
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    What's going on with "Songs of Ascent"? Is that still going to be released this year?
  • Options
    jr19 wrote:
    i really was'nt trying to stir the pot. i was expressing my opinion you bunch of assholes. sorry but not everyone wants to blow Bono. FREE SPEECH FREE SPEECH.

Exactly. Since we disagree, we must want to blow Bono. I'm just going to go out on a limb and assume you are part of today's GOP.
  • Options
    did not mean to offend anyone with "blow Bono" comment , but i made my opinion like i am entitled and i got flamed in return. so i went on the defense. sorry!! i just think they get too much credit. and if you need mine or anyone else's assurance that u2 is a great band , well i wont even get into it. sorry to make anyone upset. but i thought this was America not communist China.
  • Options
    What's going on with "Songs of Ascent"? Is that still going to be released this year?

Although Bono did say they would have it out before the end of the year initially, I find the best thing to do is take what he says with a pinch of salt, Atomic is going to be a rock album etc.

I see a similar release pattern to how Zooropa appeared, most likely next summer or maybe towards the end of 2010.

I also worry that Bono's initial statement that SOA would be more like Moment of Surrender & Unknown Caller part of the album will be changed due to the commercial reception this album has received, if only they'sd dumped Boots and Stand Up Comedy, NLOTH could have been that much better.

I do still really like it and think it is their best since the early 90's but those 2 tracks feel so poor up against it's best additions MOS, UK & Breathe.

I for one would like that more experimental album that Bono eluded to but this was before No Line was so badly commercially received at least on U2 standards that is.

I can't help but think that the bands next release will play it safe like the last 2 studio efforts and be traditional U2, I would have preferred NLOTH had been more experimental but the band will always have an eye on the album being successful, hence the safeness of the last 2 albums.

I hope they will go forward with the original plan because despite witnessing an impressive show at Cardiff in August, it did sound a bit safe and has someone else said was more like a theme park ride at times as opposed to a rock concert.
  • Options
    jr19 wrote:
    but i thought this was America not communist China.

Yup...I was correct.

The best way to avoid getting flamed is to avoid posting in a thread about a band that clearly has a lot of support on here if you're just going to be negative and bash them. Problem solved.
  • Options
    who cares if your right or wrong. you want everyone to like what you do and act like you ???/ sounds like a real boring planet. get off your high horse judging me by a forum response. besides got you all worked up from a few words from a keyboard. wow!! mister sensitive. " why dont you like my band" :cry:
  • Options
    and im not a part of the "GOP". lol..
  • Options
    yup...that's what we said. crying becauce you don't like U2.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    They are playing in my town tonight. I'm excited!!! :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    There really WERE 65,000 people there. :shock:
    The stage and what was built above it was enormous. And, what a huge production the lighting was too!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    justam wrote:
    There really WERE 65,000 people there. :shock:
    The stage and what was built above it was enormous. And, what a huge production the lighting was too!

yeah a U2 gig these days is quite the spectacle.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Yes, that's the right word.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    For those of you who missed U2 at Gillette Stadium in September, it is looking like you will get another chance to see them there in July 2010.

My source? I received a "market survey" e-mail from the Kraft Entertainment Group to determine the viability of ticket sales for a return next year.
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    I saw them in Atlanta last week, my 11th time, 3rd time outdoors, and I was dissapointed. No swagger by Bono, especially not enough to temper the protstheltizing, the effects were muted by the fact it was in a dome, and a boring setlist compared to some other stop's setlists I've seen on this tour (would have loved to see Your Blue Room or Stay). Seeing them at the dome just made it feel like an indoor show, except your seats were 3 times as worse.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    wow
    so the claw does fit inside stadium/domes

that fucking thing is the most uneccesary rock and roll apparatus out there,
    IMO.
    Let the music do all the talking, no bells and whistles ,
    With all those hits recorded under their belt they surely can put something together without all that distraction.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    wow

IMO.
    Let the music do all the talking, no bells and whistles ,
    With all those hits recorded under their belt they surely can put something together without all that distraction.

I think after this tour a strip down would be the best move seriously for the next major tour. I was on the floor down front and center and I saw no need for all that spectacle. However, for the fans up in the nose bleed sections the staging may have mattered to them. Now the sound acoustics up there is whole other story.

Strip it down and U2 will STILL look sexy underneath it all.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    wow

IMO.

What makes you think the 'Claw' is unnecessary?
    From what I've read, it's essential to this tour as this allows them to use a 360° configuration in a stadium. You need some structure for the PA and that structure is the 'Claw'.

And while you have that thing anyway, why not decorate it with some lights and a videoscreen? ;)
  • Options
    MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    Great thread so far! Seems like most of you have seen 'em on their current tour; lots of mixed reviews.
    I'll just have to wait one more year before U2 visits Australia!
  • Options
    bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    Popmartijn wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    wow

IMO.

What makes you think the 'Claw' is unnecessary?
    From what I've read, it's essential to this tour as this allows them to use a 360° configuration in a stadium. You need some structure for the PA and that structure is the 'Claw'.

And while you have that thing anyway, why not decorate it with some lights and a videoscreen? ;)
    :lol::lol: Right on "Popmartijn"!!...thanks for showing us the big picture and being open and positive! I just figured that a band like U2 must have a damn good reason for this monstrosity; I'll be going to the Phoenix show on Tuesday, seats in the first level up from the floor, and I''ll see for myself. :wave: :wave:
    (PS) Thanks for a great thread! :thumbup:
    See you at the Spectrum - where there will be no claws to bitch about- :crazy: Only Rock & Roll baby!!
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    :thumbup: :thumbup:

As a U2.com subscriber, we wanted you to be first with some breaking news - this Sunday the band's 360° Show at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena will be filmed for a dvd.

As they're drafting in more cameras to create a great film, the band has decided to allow it to be streamed live on YouTube.

It'll be officially announced later today but at 8.30pm (PT) on Sunday, wherever you are in the world don't miss the chance to see the show live and uninterrupted online. See a clip on You Tube.

As well as being able to watch the show, we'll bring our subscribers news as the week progresses from our video reporter on the ground. We'll also have bulletins from Director Tom Krueger and other exclusive video footage from backstage over the weekend.

Stay tuned, should be quite a night...

best wishes,
    The U2.Com Team

http://member.u2.com/news/title/live-on ... his-sunday
  • Options
    norm wrote:

As a U2.com subscriber, we wanted you to be first with some breaking news - this Sunday the band's 360° Show at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena will be filmed for a dvd.

As they're drafting in more cameras to create a great film, the band has decided to allow it to be streamed live on YouTube.

It'll be officially announced later today but at 8.30pm (PT) on Sunday, wherever you are in the world don't miss the chance to see the show live and uninterrupted online. See a clip on You Tube.

As well as being able to watch the show, we'll bring our subscribers news as the week progresses from our video reporter on the ground. We'll also have bulletins from Director Tom Krueger and other exclusive video footage from backstage over the weekend.

best wishes,
    The U2.Com Team

beat me to this, norm!

i'll be watching
    even if only to see how very little , if at all,
    the entire production has changed since giants stadium.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    norm wrote:

best wishes,
    The U2.Com Team

beat me to this, norm!

i'll be watching
    even if only to see how very little , if at all,
    the entire production has changed since giants stadium.

c'mon bath you know it will be essentially the same show you saw...funny though, i watched a couple vids from the tour and am now starting to get excited to see the show...and one is all i need ;):D
  • Options
    NewsOK
    October 19, 2009

By George Lang

U2 fans will be talking about "the claw" for years, and how the Irish band brought a gigantic stage set to Norman that almost made Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium feel like an intimate venue -- well, maybe a basketball arena. But even with that imposing, "in the round" superstructure towering over Owen Field, the emphasis Sunday night was on U2's performance -- all the visual flash was in service to the band, which performed a lengthy set spanning 26 years -- or, as Bono said early in the set, the length of time since the group's last stop in Norman.

"It took us 26 years to travel one mile," Bono said, referring to the band's performance at Lloyd Noble Center in 1983. And throughout the concert, Bono, guitarist The Edge, bassist Adam Clayton and drummer Larry Mullen Jr. took huge leaps through U2's musical history, opening with three songs from this year's No Line on the Horizon -- "Breathe," "Get On Your Boots" and "Magnificent," before hurdling backward to 1991's "Mysterious Ways." While the group was highlighting its new songs whenever possible, U2 kept the crowd of 60,000 fans happy to the point of mass, ecstatic dancing when the group deployed its acknowledged classics such as "Beautiful Day" and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For."

This was an audience ready to play along: toward the end of "Still Haven't Found," Bono sang two lines of Ben E. King's "Stand By Me," and the stadium finished the first verse and chorus for him. Perhaps because the mood was right and the crowd was primed, U2 added two songs it had not played in previous shows on the tour, 2000's "In a LIttle While" and the new "Unknown Caller," a dramatic, half-chanted song partially constructed from computer commands. But after that deep plunge into the new disc, the band came roaring back to familiar territory with two of its most haunting songs, the Biblical melodrama "Until the End of the World" and a mesmerizing version of "The Unforgettable Fire."

Spotlighting new material can be challenging to a band with a three-decade history, but the new songs from No Line intensified in the live setting, particularly a discofied "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" and the show's closer, "Moment of Surrender." But U2 also brought an uncommon intensity to some older material, especially during a fiery version of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" that was performed against images from this year's election protests in Iran. The Edge's guitar work on "Bloody Sunday" was possibly his most energized of the evening, with Clayton and Mullen barreling through the song's martial rhythm. And the band closed out the main set by devoting "MLK" and "Walk On" to jailed Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, with Amnesty International volunteers walking the massive circular runway carrying masks bearing the imprisoned politician's face.

While the Black Eyed Peas performed an energetic set of recent hits including "Boom Boom Pow," "I Gotta Feeling" and "Meet Me Halfway," the opener was the equivalent to a slick, Auto-Tuned pep rally for U2 -- this is a group that has dominated the singles charts for most of 2009, but while the Peas had much of the crowd moving throughout their 45-minute segment, even a seemingly unstoppable dance-pop machine was merely a prologue for the stars of the evening. All in all, U2 played a long main set -- 19 songs -- and came back to play some of the most popular songs of its career, including "One," "Where the Streets Have No Name" and "With or Without You," with Bono singing into and swinging from a glowing circular microphone that dangled from the center of "the claw." Sure, it looked like an alien landing, but U2 cleverly used the dimensions of its enormous stage to bring a human focus to the band and its performances.

© NewsOK.com, 2009.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Whats so great about these guys, only heard whts been spammed on radio. But i decided to actually listen to 'one of the best albums ever' i.e Joshua Tree. I halfway through and dont really see whats thats great, its not the worst thing ever but still what the hell... 140 million records :S
  • Options
    bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    I live exactly 3.4 miles away (northeast) from the Rose Bowl. I'll be dropped off at Arroyo and Rosemont, and I'll be going for a 1.5 mile trek to the front gate of the Rose Bowl.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    NewsOK
    October 19, 2009

By George Lang
    Perhaps because the mood was right and the crowd was primed, U2 added two songs it had not played in previous shows on the tour, 2000's "In a LIttle While" and the new "Unknown Caller," a dramatic, half-chanted song partially constructed from computer commands. .

© NewsOK.com, 2009.
    George Lang needs to do a touch of research.

I'll give him a bit of a pass on "In a Little While". Played 5 times in Europe this summer and 10/3 in NC prior to OK, but Unknown Caller while having disappeared from the set for the 7 shows prior to Norman Bates, OK was played in 29 of the previous 32 shows.
    What did he look at a couple of recent setlists to determine what the entire tour had entailed?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    NewsOK
    October 19, 2009

By George Lang
    Perhaps because the mood was right and the crowd was primed, U2 added two songs it had not played in previous shows on the tour, 2000's "In a LIttle While" and the new "Unknown Caller," a dramatic, half-chanted song partially constructed from computer commands. .

© NewsOK.com, 2009.
    George Lang needs to do a touch of research.

I'll give him a bit of a pass on "In a Little While". Played 5 times in Europe this summer and 10/3 in NC prior to OK, but Unknown Caller while having disappeared from the set for the 7 shows prior to Norman Bates, OK was played in 29 of the previous 32 shows.
    What did he look at a couple of recent setlists to determine what the entire tour had entailed?

great call.
    did you write to him yet, to set him straight Poncier ?
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Couldn't be bothered.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options