Options

" ~~~ U2 ~~~ "

Comments

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Oh i didnt say they were good or bad, only that they dont usually stray off the standard setlist.
    Check them out for yourself :

Saturday
    Set List

Breathe*
    No Line On The Horizon*
    Get On Your Boots*
    Magnificent*
    Beautiful Day*
    Elevation*
    I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For*
    Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of <<<
    Unknown Caller*
    The Unforgettable Fire *
    City Of Blinding Lights *
    Vertigo*
    I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Remix)*
    Sunday Bloody Sunday*
    Pride (In The Name Of Love)
    MLK*
    Walk On*
    Where The Streets Have No Name*
    One*
    Bad <<<

Encore
    Ultraviolet (Light My Way)*
    With Or Without You*
    Moment Of Surrender*

Sunday
    Set List

Breathe*
    No Line On The Horizon*
    Get On Your Boots*
    Magnificent*
    Beautiful Day*
    Elevation*
    Your Blue Room <<<
    Unknown Caller *
    Until The End Of The World <<<
    Stay (Faraway, So Close!) <<<
    The Unforgettable Fire *
    Vertigo*
    Sunday Bloody Sunday*
    MLK*
    Walk On*
    One*

Encore
    With Or Without You*
    Moment Of Surrender*

here are Chitowns 2 setlists.
    * = both nights
    <<< = 1 night not the other
    some places the songs are pushed up or down a slot, but still played both nights.
    Dont forget that this was " opening night " which youd think might make it special in 1 way or another, but i guess we wont know until the tour culminates.

As anyone can see, the setlists these 2 nights only varied slightly, Bad being played one night and not the other .
    I like how they omitted PRIDE one night ( i have had wayyy too much of that one live ) ,
    what i am really looking forward to and would
    like to ask anyone that was in Chicago-

what exactly was the remix of " if i dont go crazy tonight" like in a live setting ?
    i like how they bang out the new album material right off the bat- 1-2-3-4 and then its older stuff.
    nice .

looking forward to Giants Stadium- i ccannot belive its next week already-
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,731
    U2s sets are so predictable.

So unvaried and dull
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    pdalowsky wrote:

So unvaried and dull

Edge is quoted as saying it is very difficult to change the set list drastically because of the stage settings.
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:

So unvaried and dull
    To each their own....

But the show I went to a couple of nights ago, was anything but dull.

Granted, I felt like I was at Disneyland, and not a rock concert.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    petrocs wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:

So unvaried and dull

Edge is quoted as saying it is very difficult to change the set list drastically because of the stage settings.

so ditch the stage, people go to see the band, not a flaming circus ;)
  • Options
    Green day are currently doing the same thing.....

forgetting the point of the show is the music. Kerrang just ran a piece on the green day being the greatest show in the world, because it has little explosions, people up on stage, and water cannons. Whoopee fucking do, anyone who checked out Green Day on the insomniac/nimrod/warning tour will tell you what they preferred.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    pdalowsky wrote:
    petrocs wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:

So unvaried and dull

so ditch the stage, people go to see the band, not a flaming circus ;)

why the fuck do you care? i don't bitch about what bands i don't like do... what are you hoping to accomplish?
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:

forgetting the point of the show is the music. Kerrang just ran a piece on the green day being the greatest show in the world, because it has little explosions, people up on stage, and water cannons. Whoopee fucking do, anyone who checked out Green Day on the insomniac/nimrod/warning tour will tell you what they preferred.
    Did you get enough coffee this morning???

You seem to be a little angry today......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    quote]

why the fuck do you care? i don't bitch about what bands i don't like do... what are you hoping to accomplish?[/quote]

sorry Norm

it was just an opinion. But I am sorry anyway.

I have never recovered from paying £65 on the vertigo tour, to see that those paying more could get closer (£130) and they actually sectioned off the standing area into price levels....goes against everything U2 stand for IMHO. and the fact they played Vertigo twice. I couldnt for the life of me understand that.

Sorry again
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:

Did you get enough coffee this morning???

You seem to be a little angry today......

Im actually having a great day Speedy. I genuinely feel the above though, and its disappointing to see one of your very favourite bands walk that path. I once loved Green day, thought they were terrific, but not so anymore after catching the american idiot tour. I know you shouldnt live in the past and things progress, but in this case i think they lost ground but gained the mainstream. Good luck to them, many people are enjoying it, and they are getting very rich in the process (off pocket money :lol: )

The only band I have seen who spectuarly blow you away with a 'show' rather than a gig are rammstein....man they pull that off well. Dont know a single word, have no idea what on earth they are on about, but its so fine its untrue.
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    sorry Norm

it was just an opinion. But I am sorry anyway.

I have never recovered from paying £65 on the vertigo tour, to see that those paying more could get closer (£130) and they actually sectioned off the standing area into price levels....goes against everything U2 stand for IMHO. and the fact they played Vertigo twice. I couldnt for the life of me understand that.

Sorry again

no problem... i know it's your opinion and you have every right to voice it but i think this thread is really for fans (or it at least should be)... i get what you're saying and u2 has become something else than they once were but having been a fan for 25+ years they're still a part of my musical life... well you know what i mean :oops: :lol:

i'll be honest in that i'm not all that fired up to see them in october... mostly because i'm not a fan of stadium shows and the pomp and circumstance that they go through... that claw is a bit much... but it's their art :D
  • Options
    as predictable the 2 shows might be
    i wouldnt miss the area stadium tour in my area
    giants stadium is huge
    hopefully there will be an inside arena tour
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    as predictable the 2 shows might be
    i wouldnt miss the area stadium tour in my area
    giants stadium is huge
    hopefully there will be an inside arena tour

oh yeah i wouldn't miss a show... i even considered going to vegas or pheonix :D

but yeah, hopefully the second leg will be a arena tour
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261
    pdalowsky wrote:

and the fact they played Vertigo twice. I couldnt for the life of me understand that.
    The playing of Vertigo twice at some shows in 2005 was supposed to be a sort of homage to the early days when they didn't have a lot of material and an encore was a true "encore" a repeat of a song already played. Bono said as much on a few occasions. Obviously it was lost on most at the shows. I saw 6 shows that tour, and only saw the repeat once and actually enjoyed it.

As for setlist variance....its never been their strong suit, and this tour much like ZooTV is tied so much to the stage, it lends itself to less variance. As I said I saw 6 Vertigo shows, and none were identical, including the Dec 4, 2005 show (my birthday in fact) where they did 3 encores a very rare feat for this band. Certain cities get more variance and rarities from them, I'm lucky to be in Boston, one of the cities they definitely pull out the stops in more than others due to their history here.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    It's true I didn't know this. The back catalogue here is too good for this though. U2 have a stunning list of songs. For me vertigo doesn't even make the top 20 and they played it twice. Homage or not it's not what you want at a show

I'll not go on but I saw three dates of that tour and by the end bonos constant preaching to tony Blair drove me mad, as did the inequality of the standing areas pricing. Plus stadium shows rarely impress, not even u2 cab truely pull it off.

I still think u2 are a great band, however they seem to need the gimmicks on the live stage now, I was left disappointed

Poncier wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:

and the fact they played Vertigo twice. I couldnt for the life of me understand that.
    The playing of Vertigo twice at some shows in 2005 was supposed to be a sort of homage to the early days when they didn't have a lot of material and an encore was a true "encore" a repeat of a song already played. Bono said as much on a few occasions. Obviously it was lost on most at the shows. I saw 6 shows that tour, and only saw the repeat once and actually enjoyed it.

As for setlist variance....its never been their strong suit, and this tour much like ZooTV is tied so much to the stage, it lends itself to less variance. As I said I saw 6 Vertigo shows, and none were identical, including the Dec 4, 2005 show (my birthday in fact) where they did 3 encores a very rare feat for this band. Certain cities get more variance and rarities from them, I'm lucky to be in Boston, one of the cities they definitely pull out the stops in more than others due to their history here.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261
    pdalowsky wrote:

. Plus stadium shows rarely impress, not even u2 cab truely pull it off.

I agree...in the US both the Elevation and Vertigo tours were in arenas, much better. I am seeing them Sunday and Monday in a stadium for the first time since Popmart, not overly pleased about it, but I'll be close thanks to the Red Zone auctions.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Check them out for yourself :

Saturday
    Set List
    Breathe*
    No Line On The Horizon*
    Get On Your Boots*
    Magnificent*
    Beautiful Day*
    Elevation*
    Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of <<<
    Unknown Caller*
    The Unforgettable Fire *
    Vertigo*
    Sunday Bloody Sunday*
    Pride (In The Name Of Love)
    MLK*
    Walk On*
    One*
    Bad <<<
    Encore
    With Or Without You*
    Moment Of Surrender*

Sunday
    Set List
    Breathe*
    No Line On The Horizon*
    Get On Your Boots*
    Magnificent*
    Beautiful Day*
    Elevation*
    Your Blue Room <<<
    Unknown Caller *
    Until The End Of The World <<<
    Stay (Faraway, So Close!) <<<
    The Unforgettable Fire *
    Vertigo*
    Sunday Bloody Sunday*
    MLK*
    Walk On*
    One*
    Encore
    With Or Without You*
    Moment Of Surrender*
    mmm stay
  • Options
    WWSWWS Ontario Posts: 458
    Well I am looking forward to Night one in TO tomorrow. Good seats. I hope we have half the crowd PJ had in August.
    '93 Toronto, '98 Barrie, '00 Toronto, '03 Buffalo, '05 Hamilton, '06 Toronto 1&2 '09 Toronto, '09 Philly #4, '11 Hamilton, '13 London, '13 Wrigley,    '13 Buffalo, '14 Detroit Rock City,'16 Ottawa, '16 Toronto 1&2, '16 Fenway '18 Wrigley 1&2, '20 Baltimore. '22 Hamilton, '24 Wrigley 1&2
  • Options
    In 2001, I at least thought that they did a fair amount of set changing on a nightly basis, now it looks like they keep it pretty standard, Regardless, I love to see Stay and Ultraviolet live in a few weeks.
  • Options
    someone offered me a ticket and i entered 2 contests and am waiting for this "free concert tickets an hour" thing to go down at this radio station. i also just contacted another person about a ticket just in case i get screwed since this person decided to stop contacting me (though of course they stopped around 6 hours ago, not like it's been days, but im sooo desperate).

I.
    will.
    be.
    at.
    a.
    show.

i'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO determined to attend a show it's nuts.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    for those who have been on this tour, do they just focus all their time to the "front" of the stage or do they work all the way around it? I'm sitting in the endzone very close to the stage next week and hope they dont' focus all their time to the people in the GA area. I thought the whole 360 thing meant there is no front/back of the stage, but I could be wrong
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,518
    for those who have been on this tour, do they just focus all their time to the "front" of the stage or do they work all the way around it? I'm sitting in the endzone very close to the stage next week and hope they dont' focus all their time to the people in the GA area. I thought the whole 360 thing meant there is no front/back of the stage, but I could be wrong

I'll be there on 9/21. Hopefully we'll get a setlist like Chicago night 1. What time are you getting to Gillette?
  • Options

I'll be there on 9/21. Hopefully we'll get a setlist like Chicago night 1. What time are you getting to Gillette?

ya, i'm there the same night, out of work at noon then on the road by 1 hopefully. I'm from Agawam so it's about a 1 1/2 hour drive, hope traffic won't be too bad at that time
  • Options
    I may have an extra pair for Giants Stadium on THURSDAY night.
    These are venue presale tickets ( All Access )
    sec 127
    Of course I am only looking for face costs,
    so that i can recoup my spendings.

( 220 for the pair )
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,518

ya, i'm there the same night, out of work at noon then on the road by 1 hopefully. I'm from Agawam so it's about a 1 1/2 hour drive, hope traffic won't be too bad at that time

so about 2:30-3ish---that's what you want. Traffic will SUCK. I don't think I'll be seeing Snow Patrol. :lol::mrgreen: :P
  • Options
    9/23 and 9/24 are dropping on TM right now
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    yep! i bought a GA ticket 2 hours ago :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Bathgate66 wrote:

see now..you got me all excited and I go and log on and nothing left in GA
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    petrocs wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

see now..you got me all excited and I go and log on and nothing left in GA
    yesterday morning there were tickets, around 10am today i got tickets, try again tomorrow morning if you get the chance, they might just be selling a few each day and they sell out each morning
  • Options
    reissue of Unforgettable Fire

http://www.livedaily.com/news/20119.html

Rock and Roll Hall of Famers U2 [ tickets ], fresh from launching the North American leg of their ongoing world tour, will give fans a treat next month with the release of an expanded version of their breakthrough 1984 album "The Unforgettable Fire."

Due Oct. 27 from Island/Universal, the re-issue will be available in four configurations, among them a 2-CD edition that contains rarities and B-sides, including the previously unreleased "Disappearing Act" (a.k.a. "White City"), which the band began recording in 1983 with Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois.
    Also available will be a standard remastered edition on both CD and vinyl, and a deluxe box set containing both CDs (the original album and the rarities disc) as well as a 56-page bound book and a DVD featuring rare videos, concert footage and more.

The iconic Irish rockers, who launched the North American leg of their U2 360 world tour last weekend in Chicago, continue the trek Wednesday (9/16), the first of two shows in Toronto. The outing is currently scheduled to run through an Oct. 28 concert in Vancouver, British Columbia. Dates are below.

The band is touring behind its 12th studio album, "No Line on the Horizon," which surfaced in February. The set debuted at No. 1 in 30 countries, including the US, where it posted first-week sales of about 484,000 copies.

The album's first single, "Get on Your Boots," peaked at No. 37 on Billboard's Hot 100, with the second single, "Magnificent," surfacing in May. A third track, "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight," hit radio last month.
    platessmall.jpg