Show your AIC love!

Comments

• VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    That song RULES BUENA! Nothing can top the Unplugged version of that one for me though. Loooove that one to bits!

BUMP this shit up cuze HEAVEN BESIDE YOU just came on the radio. :)

"And you know you have it still, heaven inside you"

Sooo beautiful...and I just adore this bendy guitar work. :o And how about this solo?! :o Makin my brain twirl.

This band can do no wrong!!

**SPREAD THE AIC LOVE**
    :)
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • BUENA wrote:
    You can't talk Alice In Chains without talking about the so under-rated Alice In Chains album that came out in 1995... A grunge/pschydelic freak out masterpiece

"Sludge Factory"

You insult me in my home
    You're forgiven this time
    Things go well, your eyes dilate
    You shake, and I'm high?
    Look in my eyes deep and watch
    The clouds change with time
    20 hours won't print
    My picture milk carton size
    Carton size
    Carton size

Call me up congratulations
    Ain't the real why
    There's no pressure besides brilliance
    Let's say by day 9
    Endless corporate ignorance lets
    Me control time
    By the way, by the way, by the way, by the way

Once again you see an in
    Discolored skin gives you away
    So afraid you kindly gurgle out a date
    For me

Now the body of one soul I adore wants to die
    You have always told me you'd
    Not live past 25
    I say stay long enough to repay
    All who caused strife

Once again you see an in
    Discolored skin gives you away
    So afraid you kindly gurgle out a date
    For me

Oh yeah dude, the Tripod album was the best!!! I think the only thing that comes close to it was their Unplugged performance. Yeah, Dirt got me into AIC, and Jar of Flies was beautiful, but "Alice in Chains (Tripod)" was the shit!!! I love this album so much!! I think it really helps the fans tap in to the mind of Layne Staley.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    That song RULES BUENA! Nothing can top the Unplugged version of that one for me though. Loooove that one to bits!

BUMP this shit up cuze HEAVEN BESIDE YOU just came on the radio. :)

"And you know you have it still, heaven inside you"

Sooo beautiful...and I just adore this bendy guitar work. :o And how about this solo?! :o Makin my brain twirl.

This band can do no wrong!!

**SPREAD THE AIC LOVE**

Yeah. We Die Young was on the radio just a lil' while back, and I was watching this show on VH1 called "The 100 Most Metal Moments", and Alice was in there! I was like "Holy shit!". I guess they were on this episode of the MTV show "Headbangers Ball", and, they went to this waterpark and did some funny shit. I really wanna' find that episode on DVD or download it somehow, but it's probably virtually impossible. Those guys are just so hilarious. Jerry Cantrell was wearing a speedo...but anyways, Heaven Beside You is just a great song. On "Tripod" pretty much every song is worthy of the radio. I mean, there is no greatest hits with them really. Especially on Tripod. You can take your pick on "Tripod", or with pretty much all the Alice tracks. Oh yeah..just been done teaching myself the part in the beginning of "No Excuses"..and what a cool part. I think that "Jar of Flies" had some really tasty drumming..and Tripod too.
    7/10/06
  • Also, Alice In Chains kicks ass. w00t 200th post on Alice...
    7/10/06
  • BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    showing love!
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    i have been guilty of kicking my self in the teeth
    i will speak no more on my feelings beneth
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    Alright, smarchee kicked me into AIC mode just now (not like it was hard to do :p ) and I just had to come BUMP this.

WOOO! FACELIFT! :D \m/

\BLEED THE FREAK/

My cup runneth over
    Like blood from a stone

These stand for me
    Name your god and bleed the freak
    I like to see
    How you all would bleed for me

When the pig runs slower
    Let the arrow fly
    When the sin lies bolder
    I'll pluck out thine eye

These stand for me
    Name your god and bleed the freak
    I like to see
    How you all would bleed for me

If you scorn my lover
    Satan got your thigh
    If you steal in hunger
    I will kick you when you try

"Lo√e, you know the word

Yeah. We Die Young was on the radio just a lil' while back, and I was watching this show on VH1 called "The 100 Most Metal Moments", and Alice was in there! I was like "Holy shit!". I guess they were on this episode of the MTV show "Headbangers Ball", and, they went to this waterpark and did some funny shit. I really wanna' find that episode on DVD or download it somehow, but it's probably virtually impossible. Those guys are just so hilarious. Jerry Cantrell was wearing a speedo...but anyways, .

OH SHIT... that MTV footage is the best!! :D YEAH Jerry in a speedo!!! :p haha. Aww they really are total goofballs too. I LOVE that! :)

"Lo√e, you know the word

• smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I just watched the Unplugged DVD yesterday, it had been so long since I had watched it. I initially wanted to put it on while I was making some notes for my class, but I couldn't stop keep looking at it, so I just sat down and watched it straight through.

I love when Layne yells "fuck" after missing a line (I think) in Sludge Factory. Jerry also seems really laid back and engaging with the audience in this performance.

Layne looks so frail. When he takes off his shades and you see the close up of his eyes, its kinda creepy
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • smarchee wrote:
    I just watched the Unplugged DVD yesterday, it had been so long since I had watched it. I initially wanted to put it on while I was making some notes for my class, but I couldn't stop keep looking at it, so I just sat down and watched it straight through.

I love when Layne yells "fuck" after missing a line (I think) in Sludge Factory. Jerry also seems really laid back and engaging with the audience in this performance.

Layne looks so frail. When he takes off his shades and you see the close up of his eyes, its kinda creepy

oh my goodness..Layne's eyes..I hear you on that one. Whenever you see them, there is an eerie emotion just compacted..a million emotions in fact. Very moving when you see them..the look of one who seemed to have lost it all yet kept that glimmer of hope..almost reaching out for someone to help him, just a pleading..gorgeously tragic...

Glad to see this thread alive yet again, however. I've been on a Facelift binge as well, and I have really been getting into It Ain't Like That. An absolutely phenomenal album. Long live AIC in our hearts.

It Ain't Like That

There I was, laid out on a table
    Screamin' sweat and bare feet to the floor
    In my life, I'd not soften
    Things that cut, and burn so often

But I sit, think of somethin'
    Scared to face, the dyin' nothin'
    See the cycle I've waited for
    It ain't like that anymore

Where I go is when I feel I'm able
    How I fight is why I'm feelin' sore
    In my sight, not forgotten
    Feel as though, a tooth were rotten

Behind the smile, a tongue that's slippin'
    Buzzards cry, when flesh is rippin'

Here I sit writing on the paper
    Trying to think of words you can't ignore
    In my eyes, what I'm lacking

Score at face, a ten for slacking
    Sign the deal, set in motion
    Smaller fish, so huge the ocean

"Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
    YES! Awesome reachdown12! I already know that while we both love ALL the albums, we share a very special bond with FACELIFT. :) Now I'm just in awe that you chose to post my FAV song from the album! haha. How cool is that? Man we have kick ass taste. :D GREAT choice. I loooove that chunky bad boy. \m/ Seriously rocks my world! It was one of the very first songs that I got into. Again, GREAT selection my friend. :D

smarchee, I love that DVD so much but it honestly is very difficult to watch. :( Sad, sad things there. Layne is just wasting away right before your very eyes. It hurts. And to hear him sing certain lyrics that ring so true to him and his actual physical apperance is just beyond haunting. :( At the same time I can't praise the Unplugged sessions enough- some of my fav versions of fav songs are on there. That performance was incredible and sounded SOOO amazingly good. I think the added sadness that we can see/hear with Layne added to the greatness of the show too really. AIC has always been dark, and this just really took it to a whole different level. Very intense. It definitely lures you in and demands you to feel. I'm not surprised you weren't able to get any schoolwork done. :p

((**LONG LIVE AIC**))

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Yes Vedhead27, a very amazing song indeed. Also one of my first songs, which I experienced during Singles. Great performance. ahh, love this band..need we say more? lol. And amazingly yes, I am still on my Facelift binge, and yes I do know of the special placing for it.;) and I shall post Confusion, yet another phenomenal song from this album. Cheers to one of the greatest bands to rock us to end! lol :D

Confusion

There's no time to give at all
    I cause you grief and blow my hatred
    Further in your mind
    You reach, I run, you fall
    On skinned knees you crawl

I want to set you free, recognize my disease
    Love, sex, pain, confusion, suffering
    You're there crying, I feel not a thing
    Drilling my way deeper in your head
    Sinking, draining, drowning, bleeding, dead

So you sit and think of love
    I wait, hate all the more, I fall
    On skinned knees I crawl

Now there's time to give it all
    I put my fears behind again
    On skinned knees we'll crawl

"Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
    My second fav right there! ;) HA! What the?! YOU ROCK reachdown12! ROCK ON my friend!!! :D CONFUSION is such a tripped out song. I absolutely LOVE that intro. :o Layne's voice is strong as hell!!! When he gets to the "On skinned knees you crawl" line?! Shit! That "craaaaaaaawl" never fails to just blow my mind. Yeah, the voice is strong as hell here...so are these words...the song digs deep. Mmmm, love that solo too...and then how it gets all quiet again afterward, the voice comes in and just sends us. I think, once again cuze this band is BRILLIANT, that the music (mainly that tweaked out guitar) just fits the entire mood, every word, spot on. A-MAZING! *yells* This band is TOO MUCH!!!

Ahhh the Singles performance indeed! :):):)

Yep, this band will never stop rocking our worlds....and we'll never stop praising it. :D

"Lo√e, you know the word

• smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    hey now, where is the respect for Sunshine !!!!! Tis my favourite song from Facelift.

Show your love for Sunshine \m/

Am I too contagious
    Full of sick desire
    Am I that I promise
    Burning corpsed pyre
    Then some dude came down to touch the Mother
    Mother touched, and dude ain't here no more
    Am I your reflection
    Melting mirror smile
    Am I worth the value
    Do my love defile
    Then some dude came down to touch the Mother
    Mother touched and dude ain't here no more
    Ain't no day the sun don't crack
    Try brand some name across my back so you care?
    Find someone to tell you
    CHORUS
    Sunshine...sweet love my labor
    Don't mind...I don't care no more
    Can you face the queston?
    Is my soul entire?
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Oh, there is plenty enough of respect to go around for it, Smarchee. Definitely a great one I will agree. The entire album is a masterpiece to me that will never die. Although I love everything AiC has done, I feel there is a certain element, certain passion flowing through the music of this album that is not on any of their workings. It is a timeless beauty mixed in with a deep rage and loss that is entwined so intricately that it proves to be simply flawless to all those who hear it. I as well speak very deeply of those things that I am passionate about and know that the love for this album is undying.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    the greatest band in history. i am not prone to over-emotion but layne is the only musician i have ever heard who makes me want to cry. the day i bought unplugged i had a 45 minute bus ride home. i had never heard nutshell before and by the time i got home, i had yet to move to track 2. i listened to nutshell repeatedy thinking that i would have paid the full price just for that one song. it is astonishing. given circumstances, "if i can't be my own, i'd feel better dead" seems prophetic. layne lost himself and never found himelf again.

5 songs that make layne the most moving singer in history

shame in you - 3 simple words ... Oh my god
    Nutshell - the most emotional track i have ever heard
    River of deceit - just for the first line "my pain is self chosen..."
    Dirt - anyone else would make this sound wallowing, layne makes it stunning
    Junkhead - the reason is in the lyrics
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    oh i forgot to add a PS. that dirt is never recognised as the greatest album ever made is the single most ridiculous travesty in modern music.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    oh i forgot to add a PS. that dirt is never recognised as the greatest album ever made is the single most ridiculous travesty in modern music.

Amen.........
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    I love AIC, their music helped me through a lot of dark times.
    Did you know that Layne's mother gets tons of emails and she answers them all?
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • What does friend mean to you?
    A word so wrongfully abused
    Are you like me, confused
    All included but you
    Alone...

The sounds of silence often soothe
    Shapes and colors shift with mood
    Pupils widen and change their hue
    Rapid brown avoid clear blue

Why's it have to be this way
    Be this way

Flowers watched through wide brown eyes bloom
    A child sings an unclaimed tune
    Innocence spins cold cocoon
    Grow to see the pain too soon

Why's it have to be this way
    Be this way (5x)

"At 7 am on a Tuesday, usual August ...
    Next week I'll be 28...
    I'm still young, it'll be me...
    Off the wall I scrape... you...
    I can't wake, I gotta wake...
    To cause this wake, I gotta wake no more...
    It causes wake, to drown this hate....
    To never really stay, never will.....
    You take your plate...
    Put me through hell, live, live...
    Direct your fate...
    You say I can do it so well...
    Your expiration date...
    Fate, date, expiration date...
    (this was the last time)
    Hate...
    And don't fuck with me again...
    My own clean slate...
    Don't fuck with me again...
    Makes your eyes dilate...
    Makes you shake...
    Irate..."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~PJ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥ KoL ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1/14/95, Charlotte 2000, 2003:4/15, 4/16, 7/1, 7/5, 7/6, 7/8, 7/9, 2006: 5/27, 5/28, 5/30;6/17/08, 6/28/08
    *** www.myspace.com/pirljamgirl***
  • It's so sad how Layne Stanley went through all that trouble with drugs; such great talent from him and the rest of the band. I really miss their music, and respected their music so much.
    RIP Layne
    Vancouver 9/2/05
    Gorge 7/23/06
  • Wow..what a long overdue BUUUMP!

I've been listening to Jar Of Flies and felt the need to resurrect this thread. Once more the haunting qualities of this music truly shines through. And that hope and yet the hopelessness of it...absolutely gorgeous. This EP is just wringing with emotion that never ceases to amaze. And just when you thought it wasn't possible to praise the music even more, here I am doing so yet again. It's so refreshing and beautiful how one thing can do so that much. What an amazingly phenomenal band. Cheers to them!!
    Wow..what a long overdue BUUUMP!

I've been listening to Jar Of Flies and felt the need to resurrect this thread. Once more the haunting qualities of this music truly shines through. And that hope and yet the hopelessness of it...absolutely gorgeous. This EP is just wringing with emotion that never ceases to amaze. And just when you thought it wasn't possible to praise the music even more, here I am doing so yet again. It's so refreshing and beautiful how one thing can do so that much. What an amazingly phenomenal band. Cheers to them!!
    a WELL overdue bump. Yeah JOF is awesome. Rotton Apple is sooooooo good and then Nutshell just comes along and floors you every time. and has anyone else noticed that even though Layne doesn't feature on whale and wasp, he is there anyway? by that i mean jerry's guitar and that viola or whatever is in the song just sound like Layne anyway. it's as if it is the musical equivalent of his voice and that is what made AiC so special. They were four parts of one whole. Jerry's playing and Layne's voice were one and same
  • prljam85prljam85 Posts: 227
    I can never get enough of AIC. One of my fav. bands. its too bad layne died I would have loved to see them.
  • I really wish I could see Alice in Chains live, but some things in life will never happen. At least we still have the Unplugged performance to look back on, and how infuckingcredible that was!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • VONVON Posts: 259
    I only recently got into AIC and they're incredible, watching over now on music bank gave me chills. Would has to be one of my all time favorite songs. Layne and Jerry both have amazing voices. (and Layne has a cute giggle at the start of over now :D) I loved the king 5 documentary. It had heaps of insite into the band before they were big. I wish I had the opportunity to go back in time and see them. I love dirt. :)

:( R.I.P Layne
    Better late than never VON! Welcome to the dark and beautiful world of AIC my friend. :) Yes, both Layne & Jerry both have absolutely amazing voices...and it's mind-blowing how crazy amazing they sound together. WHAT A MATCH!! :o And DIRT....hell yes! You just can't deny an album as classic and great as this. What a beast! A HOLY beast.

Excellent call with the BUMPING action reachdown12. ;)

OOOoooooh, so not too long ago I FINALLY heard a rough copy of the tsunami-relief show from last year!!! The remaining 3 performaing together for the first time in 6 YEARS! :eek: AHHHH!!!!!!! WHAT A SHOW!!! I still can't believe this happened! HAIL HAIL the lucky ones that were actually there. :eek: Can you imagine????? :o Jerry, Mike and Sean performed AIC songs with a ton of special guests... Wes Scantlin (Puddle of Mudd), Pat Lachman (Damageplan),Ann Wilson (Heart)....and most importanly, MAYNARD!!!!!! Damn!!! Ok, even though the copy I heard was reeeeeally rough I had chills the whole way through. I could not believe my ears!!! They played a TON of songs too. I was thinking maybe a few AIC songs but nope...a WHOLE bunch...

>>>BROTHER, KILLER IS ME, AGAIN, WOULD,ANGRY CHAIR. They also played IT AIN'T LIKE THAT reachdown12!!!!:eek: :D

Ahhh I was freaking out even more once I heard that opening riff. :D The set was, as the show itself, out of this frickin woooorld. MAYNARD absolutely NAILED Man in the Box & Them Bones. ***chills just thinking about it** I would LOVE to get my hands on a copy of this. You honestly stop caring about the super crappy quality because the show just has you mesmerized! Unreal.

Mentioning it above made me realize it hasn't been posted yet so....allow me to BUMP it up with this sick, sick, SICK ass # from one of THE greatest bands EVER. As it's been discussed many times in here, the power behind Layne's voice is seriously incredible. Even just when he sings the "yeah" part over and over here it's fuckin AMAZING!!!!!!! The voice has SO much power & it is one of the few that remain untouchable, in a league all it's own.

Will forever miss this band, this voice, this face......
    Will forever love & praise the greatness....
    The power lives on.

••::AGAIN::••

Hey, let them do it again, yeah
    Hey, you said you were my friend
    Hey, turn me upside down, oh
    Hey, feelin’ so down
    Hey, hey...hey...hey...

You made a fool of me again
    Again
    Again
    Again
    Again
    Again
    Again
    Again
    Again

Hey, I know I made the same mistake, yeah
    I, I won’t do it again, no
    Why, why you slap me in the face, oww
    I, I didn’t say it was ok, no
    No, no...

You violate a part of me again
    Again
    Again
    Again
    Again
    Again
    Again
    Again
    Again

Ah, ooo
    Doot doot, yeah...yeah......
    yeah......yeah......
    yeah......yeah......
    yeah......yeah......

Hey, you had time to think it out, yeah
    Hey, your weak will won’t help her heal her heart
    Hey, I’ll bet it really eats you up

Extending part of me again
    Again
    Again
    Again
    Again
    Again
    Again
    Again
    Again

Ooo
    Doot doot,
    yeah(x16)

"Lo√e, you know the word

• oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    cant wait to see them in March in Atlantic City.. i know layne will only be there in spirit...but should still be a killer show
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    been in an AIC mood meself this whole weekend..listened to Sap,Dirt,JOF and Tripod
    and yeh that Tsunami show wasnt too bad at all!
    Man in the Box was awesome...i always did prefer the song when its played live cos its faster and has more energy
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • This thread is awesome! Back in the day they were my favorite band in the world (yes I liked them more than PJ)! Everybody's pretty much summed up the way I feel about AIC. I got Facelift for x-mas when I was 12 and it totally blew me away.After Real Thing ended I just sat there exhausted like, "Wow! What was that? This band kicks ass." Like a musical orgasm. I noticed how unique and powerful Layne's vocal were. Every great album has a strong intro and I loved the riff and then SCARY'S ON THE WALL... so heavy.
    I remember somebody talking about the headbanger's ball episode at the water park and i think i have that on VHS still. I hope it didn't get taped over, you know i'm gonna spend all my free time tomorrow looking for it. There was another earlier one where they were at some mansion (Hugh Hefner's?) and they were pointing out celebrity 'barf marks' as Sean put it and throwing each other in the pool. LOL. Anyone remember that? i don't know if anyone's mentioned it but i like the Nona Tapes where Jerry's dressed as a woman and Sean as a drunk clown. Those guys are so goofy!
    "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" - The Young Ones