Show your AIC love!

VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
edited February 2007 in Other Music
One of the greatest bands ever imo and today (on what would have been Layne's 38th birthday) Meddledeal and I thought it was long overdue to resurrect this thread of praise.

Alice In Chains- this is a sound truely all it's own. Heavy, dark, crunchy, infectious and incredibly soulful. Like the band, Layne's voice remains to this day untouchable and in a league all it's own. The pain and emotion behind this haunted voice could send shivers down anyone's spine. This is a voice that demanded to be heard, demanded to be felt. Layne had the power to move you. The power to connect every single word straight to your heart and soul. I remember the first time I heard Facelift, I was completely floored. It was one of the most ass kickin, original pieces of art I had ever heard. Then DIRT....come on?!?! How could ANYONE possibly deny this classic?!!? Jar Of Flies....the band proving they are all about quality as opposed to quantity. Only 7 songs long but the chilling, intoxicating album had enough power, emotion and intensity many full length albums could only dream of possessing. Absolutely gorgeous!!!

Like pretty much all of my fav bands, AIC chose to deliver their gift to us all wrapped in many different packages. Every single album offering a sound, style and feel all it's own.

The Unplugged performance is still one of the most emotional AIC experieces out there imo. While the band sounds absolutely beautiful, the pain in Layne's voice is undeniable. To actually WATCH that and see the man wasting away right before your very eyes?!?! Wow. Really, really painfull. Never fails to move me to tears. Perhaps that's why to this day these Unplugged versions are some of the most heartfelt versions of many greats. Completely stripped down (even more than before), haunted and dark (even more than before)....everything about AIC, the good the bad (both of which made them so great) were definitely exaggerated on Unplugged and it makes for one hell of an heartbreakingly beautiful, insanely powerful show.

I think Jerry and Layne were one of the greatest duos out there. These 2 harmonizing is straight up heaven on earth. They complimented each other in such an amazing, perfect way.

Fact is Mike Starr/MIKE INEZ, Sean Kinney, Jerry Cantrell and the legendary Layne all did their part in creating what I feel to be one the GREATEST bands EVER.

It's about time we all SHOW OUR AIC LOVE!!!

{{RIP LAYNE}} Happy Birthday~ a day we are all grateful for.
A spirit, voice, passion and presence that is very much missed. Thank you for all that you gave. All of your greatness lives on through the ass kickin, soulful music you left behind. This will live on forever. I hope you are in a better, peaceful, pain-free place now. :)

Kick off the thread with one of my absolute fav songs from the mighty band (and one that makes me miss the man even more.)

Also kick it off with an incredible site made by a friend of mine and Meddle's. Please go check it out....

http://www.laynethelegend.com/

Which reminds me, hey VIGGS20....didn't you post a Layne tribute on the old "Show your AIC love" thread?? Set to Nutshell?? I swear you did. Please feel free to post that again buddy!

(( DON'T FOLLOW ))

Hey, I ain’t never coming
Home
Hey, I’ll just wander my
Own road
Hey, I can’t meet you here tomorrow
Say goodbye don’t follow
Misery so hollow

Hey you, you’re livin’
Life full throttle
Hey you, pass me down that
Bottle, yeah
Hey you, you can’t shake
Me round now
I get so lost and don’t
Know how
And it hurts to care, i’m
Going down

Forgot my woman, lost my
Friends
Thinks I’d done and where
I’ve been
Sleep in sweat the mirrors
Cold
See my face it’s growin’
Old
Scared to death no reason
Why
Do whatever to get me by
Think about the things i
Said
Read the page it’s cold
And dead

Take me home
¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I love them so...I said this once and I will say it again...

What a band. So much talent just seeping through through each members veins that it was nearly suffocating to the listener. They were a deeply impacting band, that had such a sense of harsh reality, it was almost heartbreaking.

What with Layne's drug addiction that he wanted to kill so badly, yet lost...the music created was a force like none other. Layne's raw, emotion ridden vocals, Jerry's wailing guitar, almost as if the tears were pouring from the heart itself, Mike's haunting bass lines, and Sean's unique, powerful drumming.

It is pure amazement how the chemistry between this band and the music created by them, is still just as beautifully tragic as it was those many years back. With them making masterpieces such as Facelift, Dirt, and Jar of Flies, and then hearing them Unplugged, which is utterly undescribable. They are still immortalized to this day, idolized by many. Their songs spoke of self battles, over come, or never won, all extremely beautiful, yet speak of such an ugly reality.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They were so pure..honest..innocent. The passing of Layne had its impacts, truly saddening as much as others..one of the best bands to ever grace this planet. The song I heard..that impacted me so and made me fall so hard for this band was Down In A Hole. So beautiful it is..They will be in my thoughts.

Down In A Hole

Bury me softly in this womb
    I give this part of me for you
    Sand rains down and here I sit
    Holding rare flowers
    In a tomb...in bloom

Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
    See my heart I decorate it like a grave
    You don't understand who they
    Thought I was supposed to be
    Look at me now a man
    Who won't let himself be

Down in a hole, feelin' so small
    Down in a hole, losin' my soul
    I'd like to fly,
    But my wings have been so denied

Down in a hole and they've put all
    The stones in their place
    I've eaten the sun so my tongue
    Has been burned of the taste

I have been guilty
    Of kicking myself in the teeth
    I will speak no more
    of my feelings beneath

I'd like to fly but my
    Wings have been so denied

Bury me softly in this womb
    Oh I want to be inside of you
    I give this part of me for you
    Sand rains down and here I sit
    Holding rare flowers
    In a tomb...in bloom
    Oh I want to be inside...

Down in a hole, outta control
    I'd like to fly but my
    Wings have been so denied
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • AiC remains my second favorite band (behind PJ) of all time. Really, there's a huge drop off behind PJ and AiC in my love for any other bands. AiC isn't all that far from PJ on the list....and all the things you mentioned above are perfectly stated. He has that ability to reach in and grab your soul and pull it down to the depths of nothingness like no other singer.

Also as you mentioned, I can't watch the Unplugged tape without tearing up...especially during Nutshell. To listen to him sing words that are SO true for him...is just surreal. It's just like listening to "Wake Up" (Mad Season). We all had so much hope for a soul that felt no hope...and never truly understood what hope really was. In the Rolling Stone he interviewed in, he said he realized he didn't want to die young and wouldn't...if only he was able to fulfill that dream.

I miss this band and Layne more and more as the years go on. They'll never be forgotten.

RIP Layne...and happy birthday.
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12
  • Yep...
    for sure one of my fav bands...
    Unplugged is a classic.
    R.I.P Layne......
    Master of Zen
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    *applauds*

Ooooooh AMEN!!! Very nicely said reachdown12. I could not agree more. The band was indeed tragic. This is one obvious, out of this world case where music making was truely an art form, a healing form, a incredibly needed release. It did make for hauntingly real, super honest music. Jerry's guitar....tears pouring! :o Love it. It's so true. Jerry really did compliment every single emotion behind Layne's voice and powerful words with that guitar of his. The chemistry in AIC was definitely one of a kind. It's this chemistry that added to such powerful music. These guys brought it all out in the open, the tragedy, the pain.....they had the power to take all of these dark, horrorific things and create something beautiful out of them. :o

Long live AIC!!

Awww man, do I feel ya on DOWN IN A HOLE. That's the Unplugged performance that really gets me. :( This song just tears me apart. You gotta be heartless not to feel that! Sooooo much damn emotion. Hurts. :(
    Good/fitting pick reachdown12.

"Lo√e, you know the word

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    If I knew the words to Eddie's tribute to Layne, I would post them. A unique sound that we will miss more and more.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.

Also as you mentioned, I can't watch the Unplugged tape without tearing up...especially during Nutshell. To listen to him sing words that are SO true for him...is just surreal.

I just got chills reading that. Yeah I know Nothingbetter. it really is insane!! Him singing these words that are dead on true to him, witnessing him falling apart RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE and pratically confirming it with each song. It is surreal. It's a lot to take in. :( It's beyond sad that he didn't get to fullfill that dream.

We all had so much hope for a soul that felt no hope...and never truly understood what hope really was.

:(

"Lo√e, you know the word

tybird wrote:
    If I knew the words to Eddie's tribute to Layne, I would post them. A unique sound that we will miss more and more.

Great ideo tybird! Ed wants in on the AIC/Layne praise too.

What a song!! I definitely feel it.......

> 4/20/02 <

so all you fools
    who sing just like him
    feel free to do so now
    cuz he's dead
    using, using, using
    the using takes toll
    isolation
    just so happy to be one
    sad to, sad to think
    sad to think of him more
    lonesome friend, we all knew
    always hoped you'd pull through
    no blame, no blame
    no blame, it could be you
    using, you can't grow old using
    so sing just like him, fuckers
    it won't offend him
    just me
    because he's dead

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Great post, but where is the love for Tripod? It is my favorite Alice album, and it is so fucking underrated. They sound so mature here and maybe some hauntingly beautiful melodies.
  • what storers sell the alice in chains dvd???? ,i might have to pick it up sometime.
    "Remember that extremism in the defence of liberity is no vice ,and moderation in the time of parell is no virture" -goldwater
    I LOVE Tripod too!! I agree, it is underrated/appreciated...but imo so is this band as a whole. ;) Oooo, also loooooove SAP...RIGHT TURN with Chris Cornell!?!? :o:o:o

I was just getting the praise and love-fest started though. I couldn't pick apart every album or my response would have been even longer. :p We have the whole thread to spread that love. The point is to post about AIC ...any and everything that you love about them....so post away about Tri-pod DaytimeDilemma. :)

I'll kick it off with one of my favs all around from the band (looks around for Kaddikat). I fuckin LOVE this video too.....

{| GRIND |}

In the darkest hole, you’d be well advised
    Not to plan my funeral before the body dies, yeah
    Come the morning light, it’s a see through show
    What you may have heard and what you think you know, yeah

Let the sun never blind your eyes
    Let me sleep so my teeth don’t grind
    Hear a sound from a voice inside

Sure to play a part, so you love the game
    And in truth your lies become one and same, yeah
    I could set you free, rather hear the sound
    Of your body breaking as I take you down, yeah

Let me sleep so my teeth don’t grind

In the darkest hole, you’d be well advised
    Not to plan my funeral before the body dies, yeah

Let me sleep so my teeth don’t grind (2x)

"Lo√e, you know the word

• VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    *applauds*

Ooooooh AMEN!!! Very nicely said reachdown12. I could not agree more. The band was indeed tragic. This is one obvious, out of this world case where music making was truely an art form, a healing form, a incredibly needed release. It did make for hauntingly real, super honest music. Jerry's guitar....tears pouring! :o Love it. It's so true. Jerry really did compliment every single emotion behind Layne's voice and powerful words with that guitar of his. The chemistry in AIC was definitely one of a kind. It's this chemistry that added to such powerful music. These guys brought it all out in the open, the tragedy, the pain.....they had the power to take all of these dark, horrorific things and create something beautiful out of them. :o

Long live AIC!!

Awww man, do I feel ya on DOWN IN A HOLE. That's the Unplugged performance that really gets me. :( This song just tears me apart. You gotta be heartless not to feel that! Sooooo much damn emotion. Hurts. :(
    Good/fitting pick reachdown12.

Jeez i know, unplugged version..along with other memorables from that night..purely..saddening. I agree, you have got to be heartless not to feel that performance. No one can compare to Layne, all of those who go on imitating his vocals..never will be the same. There was only one Layne.

And your starting post by the way, gorgeous. You are dead on as well. Everything said, beautiful. All so true, emotions and all...
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • i love this band...what more can u say?...they were simply great...in Layney's honour i'll post the lyrics from my favourite AIC song:
    I stay away

Yeah, I want to travel south
    This year
    Aaah, Woah, Woah
    Won't prevent safe passage here

Why you act crazy
    Not an act maybe
    So close a lady
    Shifty eyes shade

Yeah, hey Yeah, tears that soak
    A callous heart

Why you act frightened
    I am enlightened
    Your weakness builds me
    So someday you'll see

I stay away
    "It was a kind of a sick, disturbed rock opera - if Nietzsche were to write a rock opera,"-Jeff Ament about Eddie's first three songs

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough, I'm fine now.
    Push me pull me. See ya later

<present tense inhabiter #0003 & Even Flow psycho #0036>
  • I cannot even begin to state my appreciation for SAP. The song I heard first, Right Turn, still leaves me searching for the rest of that album. Those songs, purely memorable, but the duet with Chris..amazing combination.

Right Turn

Inside always trying to get back inside
    But it's so hard to penetrate pig-thick skin
    I'm 'bout as low as I can get
    I'd leave but I can't forget
    Still I wonder why it ain't right, mmm it ain't right, oooh

Ain't right, mmm it ain't right, yeah
    'Bout as low as she can get
    She'll leave me but she won't forget
    And she wonders why she ain't right, she ain't right
    Ain't right, she ain't right

Now we're as low as we can get
    Can't leave and can't forget
    We ain't right, we ain't right
    Not right, we ain't right

Well it's hard to believe that somebody tricked you
    when you can see you were only high
    It's all up to you so you gamble
    flat on your face and into the fire
  • Shame In You

When I waken, and I'm achin', time for sleepin', yeah
    When I'm sayin' time to go and, I've been hurtin', yeah
    When I'm layin, I'm still tryin', concentrating on dyin', yeah

You're right as rain, but you're all to blame
    Agreed my crime's the same
    My sins I'll claim, give you back shed pain
    Go find a place for own shame
    So you can deal with this thing unreal
    No one made you feel any hurt, yeah

Body's movin, only provin, no one needs to move
    Still believin, yet mistaken, all God's children, yeah
    And I must say, I was stupid, selfishly she consumed, yeah

And you must change patterns all we trained
    Or n'er regain peace you seek
    Now you hear me, for the things I see
    Yeah, I believe in inner peace, yeah

Throw out, blow up, hold in
    Show fine, no signs, grow blind
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    truly one of the greatest..can't praise them enough..

Junkhead

A Good Night, The Best In A Long Time
    A New Friend Turned Me On To An Old Favorite
    Nothing BetterThan A Dealer Who's High
    Be High, Concince Them To Buy

What's My Drug Of Choice?
    Well, What Have You Got?
    I Don't Go Broke
    And I Do It Alot

Seems So Sick To The Hypocrite Norm
    Running Their Boring Drills
    But We Are An Elite Race Of Our Own
    The Stoners, Junkies, And Freaks

Are You Happy? I Am, Man
    Content And Fully Aware
    Money, Status, Nothing To Me
    'Cause Your Life Is Empty And Bare

You Can't Understand A User's Mind
    But Try, With Your Books And Degrees
    If You Let Yourself Go And Open Your Mind
    I'll Bet You'd Be Doing Like Me
    And It Ain't So Bad
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Six7Six7Six7Six7 Posts: 58
    Junkhead is my favorite AIC song
    Pearl Jam is an ok american rock n roll group
    Awww thanks for your kind words reachdown12. It's beautiful what this passionate band can bring out in us all. Yeah really, Unplugged is just utter sadness....part of what makes it so untouchable and beautiful though for sure.

RIGHT TURN?!!? :eek: :o So glad you feel me on that. Double WOW! CHRIS along with these mighty voices?! *chills* Shit! Almost too much to handle right there! It does not get any better.

Junkhead is an amazing song! Dirt is so......dirty. So many chunky, fierce ass kickin songs with such fitting raw emotion. Looove it!

BUMP it up with another fav from that motherload album. Very haunting/eery/fitting too that the day of his vigil it WAS infact raining. The sky was crying. :(

:: -RAIN WHEN I DIE- ::

Is she ready to know my frustration?
    What she slippin’ inside, slow castration
    I’m a riddle so strong, you can’t break me
    Did she come here to try, try to take me

Did she call my name?
    I think it’s gonna rain
    When I die

Was it something I said, held against me?
    Ain’t no life on the run, slowly climbing
    Caught in ice so she stares, stares at nothing
    I can help her but won’t, now she hates me

She won’t let me hide
    She don’t want me to cry

Will she keep on the ground, trying to ground me
    Slowly forgive my lie, lying to save me
    Could she love me again, or will she hate me
    Prob’ly not, I know why, can’t explain me

"Lo√e, you know the word

• I would like to venture back into the facelift days..that album..so raw, and amazing. My favorite song off that album is hard to say, as that album is amazingly rocking from the first riff to the last, but the one song that sticks out, is Love, Hate, Love. What a phenomenal song! Jeez, the vocals, the lyrics, the guitar, the slow, haunting, ryhthm that creeps up on you and explodes..love it. Great album, great song.

Love, Hate, Love

I tried to love you I thought I could
    I tried to own you I thought I would
    I want to peel the skin from your face
    Before the real you lays to waste

You told me I'm the only one
    Sweet little angel you should have run
    Lying, crying, dying to leave
    Innocence creates my hell

Cheating myself still you know more
    It would be so easy with a whore
    Try to understand me little girl
    My twisted passion to be your world

Lost inside my sick head
    I live for you but I'm not alive
    Take my hand before I kill
    I still love you, but, I still burn

Yeah, Love, hate, love
    Oooh, Love, hate, love
    Yeah, Love, hate, love
    \m/

AWESOME pick reachdown12. You're the best! :D

I LOVE Facelift with a passion. It really is so hard to pick a favorite album when it comes to this band but I will say this one has a very, very special place in my rockin heart. :) I defintiely find myself overly obsessed with CONFUSION , IT AIN'T LIKE THAT & I KNOW SOMETHING (BOUT YOU) to name a few. The album is indeed sooooo raw. It's a punch to the face for sure...lifts that shit WAY up. haha. Wtf? I don't know, it's an ass kick I sure enjoy though. :D

GREAT to see all this love guys! Let's keep it coming strong.

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Yes Vedhead! That album holds a place in my heart as well, they all do..ah the beauty of music, can't possibly choose just one. lol. Oh, Confusion, I Know Something(bout you), amazing, as well as another few personal favorites, Bleed the Freak and Sunshine. Love that album. Yet another rare band that never failed to create every album being a masterpiece. Oh I could go on..lol!

:D
  • KaddikatKaddikat Posts: 1,194
    Ok Ill admit it I was a member of the AIC fan club.. I loved AIC more than PJ.. i dunno something about the music..the lyrics the delivery.. grabbed me more than pj for some reason...Lyd, you got it! SUP DA HUGAS up in the miznitch

damn layne... happy birthday... :(

One of my favorite songs...

Rotten Apple

Hey Ah Na Na
    Ignorance is spoken
    Spoken

Confidence is broken
    Broken

Sustenance is stolen
    Stolen

Arrogance is potent
    What I see is unreal
    I've written my own part
    Eat of the apple, so young
    I'm crawling back to start

Hey Ah Na Na
    A romance is fallen
    Fallen

I repent tomorrow
    Tomorrow

Is suspended my sorrow
    Sorrow

Recommend you borrow
    **Get outa my way, just step aside, or pay the price ~ AC/DC**

You make me feel uncalm and I think I like it - 311

JEFF ROX MY SOX!

"Jeff is just a badass all the way across the board" ~aNiMaL~

"Chill out Kaddikat"
  • alice in chains is one of those bands that must have formed when the planets were perfectly aligned. i'll never stop listening to this band.

Sludge Factory

You insult me in my home, you’re forgiven this time
    Things go well, your eyes dilate, you shake, and I’m high?
    Look in my eyes deep and watch the clouds change with time
    20 hours won’t print my picture milk carton size
    Carton size, carton size

Call me up congratulations ain’t the real why
    There’s no pressure besides brilliance let’s say by day 9
    Endless corporate ignorance lets me control time
    By the way, by the way, by the way

Once again you see an in, discolored skin gives you away
    So afraid you kindly gurgle, out a date for me

Now the body of one soul I adore wants to die
    You have always told me you’d not live past 25
    I say stay long enough to repay all who cause strife

Once again you see an in, discolored skin gives you away
    So afraid you kindly gurgle, out a date for me (2x)

’i bear true and an existing witness
    To this barrel of monkeys.
    A self proclaimed immoral success,
    Perfected by each whereof
    Individually deadly and equally so
    And spread about the surrendered troops,
    For even thousands of miles will not
    Tear apart their communication, or the lack thereof.
    Vultures, liars, thieves, each proclaim their innocence
    In no suggestion or rhyme, your weapon is contained in
    The wrecking of the keeping the desired effect.
    The breaking of the spirit thwarts the whole being.
    Your weapon is guilt, your weapon is guilt, your weapon is guilt.
    Guilt.’
    And after all this, won't you give me a smile?
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,136
    Great thread VEDHEAD27. I love AIC and was deeply saddened when I found out that Layne died. Where I live, the local radio station played a good bit of AIC today as a tribute. It didn't compare to the tribute that they and Layne deserve. Loved all their albums and only wish I could have seen them live (I hear that they kicked major ass in concert).
    Such greatness going on here...for a band that damn well deserves it!

Kaddik, glad you came by. **HUGAS** back at you. ;) hehe. I know you share this undying passion for the mighty AIC. This voice truely does hit you like no other. The power and painfully real emotion here is indeed unmatched. And what a beautiful song you chose to post. That one is sooooo gorgeous. The layers on that song totally take me away. :o The way it just oozes into you. Whoooa! Puts me in a complete trance.

MoonlightDrive81, another awsome pick (I mean can you really go wrong with this band? :p )!! I love the Unplugged version of that one more than anything!

markymark550, thanks bud! Glad you feel the love as well. I hear ya...I sooooo wish I coulda seen them live as well. :( I was oh so close. They were scheduled to open for Metalllica but cancelled last minute, literally hours before the show cuze Layne was having "problems" and was in the hospital. One of his many close calls. :( Sooo, sooo close.

A local radio station here today did a little tribute too...that's actually what prompted me to finally resurrect this thread. So much sadness surrounds this band, but at the same time that really, really is something that makes you feel the impact of their greatness even more.

<~~~ listening to Unplugged (ANGRY CHAIR)

Is this not the greatest version ever?!?! :eek: Daaaaaamn!!!! I cannot stop listening to this song! Serious repeat-mode over here.
    This intro is seriously one of the most badass fuckin things I have EVER heard!!!!!! God, the twang and echo of these strings?! Eh! These voices?! This stretched out, rockin, funky, bluesy, heavenly ringing solo that just lifts you off the planet!! :o All this acoustic and super crystal clear is such a gift from above. Woooooooow AIC! Wooooow. :o Magic captured and then some.

THANK YOU!

^^ANGRY CHAIR ^^

Sitting on an angry chair
    Angry walls that steal the air
    Stomach hurts and I don’t care

What do I see across the way
    See myself molded in clay
    Stares at me, yeah I’m afraid
    Changing the shape of his face

Candles red I have a pair
    Shadows dancing everywhere
    Burning on the angry chair

Little boy made a mistake
    Pink cloud has now turned to gray
    All that I want is to play
    Get on your knees, time to pray, boy

I don’t mind, yeah
    I don’t mind, i-i-i
    I don’t mind, yeah,
    I don’t mind, i-i-i
    Lost my mind, yeah
    But I don’t mind, i-i-i
    Can’t find it anywhere
    I don’t mind

Corporate prison, we stay
    I’m a dull boy, work all da y
    So I’m strung out anyway

Loneliness is not a phase
    Field of pain is where I graze
    Serenity is far away

Saw my reflection and cried
    So little hope that I died
    Feed me your lies, open wide
    Weight of my heart, not the size

Pink cloud has now turned to gray
    All that I want is to play
    Get on your knees time to pray

"Lo√e, you know the word

• viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Which reminds me, hey VIGGS20....didn't you post a Layne tribute on the old "Show your AIC love" thread?? Set to Nutshell?? I swear you did. Please feel free to post that again buddy!
    Your wish is my command. ;)
    http://layne.meyer-3d.com/tribute.html
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
    How fitting, I just got to NUTSHELL on Unplugged. This song and this version?! **heart sinks**

"And yet I fight
    And yet I fight
    This battle all alone
    No one to cry to
    No place to call home"

Noooooo.

:( :( :(

Thanks so much for posting that though viggy. Absolutely beautiful tribute.

"Lo√e, you know the word

<~~ just watched it

Damn, it had been awhile since I last saw that..should have been prepared but wasn't. I'm over here at my desk at work crying....just can't help it. That tribute definitely nails it. What a gorgeous man...in so many ways. This is just too tragic. As Kaddikat said to me earlier, "Why Layne?!"

"lonesome friend, we all knew
    always hoped you'd pull through"

So true. These Unplugged shots really do tear some people apart.
    I miss this face so much.
    What a beautiful soul.

"Lo√e, you know the word

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,136
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    markymark550, thanks bud! Glad you feel the love as well. I hear ya...I sooooo wish I coulda seen them live as well. :( I was oh so close. They were scheduled to open for Metalllica but cancelled last minute, literally hours before the show cuze Layne was having "problems" and was in the hospital. One of his many close calls. :( Sooo, sooo close.
    Your welcome! That must have been frustrating to have them cancelled, even though I know you and the rest of the AIC fans there were hoping for a good recovery.
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    AiC remains my second favorite band (behind PJ) of all time. Really, there's a huge drop off behind PJ and AiC in my love for any other bands. AiC isn't all that far from PJ on the list....and all the things you mentioned above are perfectly stated. He has that ability to reach in and grab your soul and pull it down to the depths of nothingness like no other singer.

Also as you mentioned, I can't watch the Unplugged tape without tearing up...especially during Nutshell. To listen to him sing words that are SO true for him...is just surreal. It's just like listening to "Wake Up" (Mad Season). We all had so much hope for a soul that felt no hope...and never truly understood what hope really was. In the Rolling Stone he interviewed in, he said he realized he didn't want to die young and wouldn't...if only he was able to fulfill that dream.

I miss this band and Layne more and more as the years go on. They'll never be forgotten.

RIP Layne...and happy birthday.

Dude, I'm totally the same way. Alice in Chains is right behind Pearl Jam in my catalog, and those 2 bands are untouchable.

Layne had a lot of trouble with his addiction, and with his girlfriend, Demri. As much as I love all of their work, I think that their last album "Alice in Chains" also referred to as "Tripod" is their best work. It's their darkest and richest collection of songs that the band ever put out. Dirt was classic, but Tripod is what I think really defined who Alice in Chains is and was and will be seen as in future years to come.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    oh YES, we were going to resurrect this thread, and it FINALLY happened!! :D Thanks Lydi for doing that, b/c I know we were talking about it for hella long!

I was listening to LIVE105 today, and man, i just got so teary eyed when the DJ, Ally, was talking about the history of Alice In Chains, and then how rumors started that Layne was secluded in his apt. that he had been using drugs and his teeth rotted. :( It was just so tragic, hearing how he died, ALONE, and on the same day as Kurt Cobain:( I almost started crying when I heard that, even though I remember reading about it 3 years ago.

I love AIC...this band, I got into when I was a teen back in South Texas, I had NO idea how the hell I got a hold of one (since we only had shitty radio stations, mostly top 40 back home), it was probably when I made my monthly trips to San Antonio w/my brother (since they had the coolest rock station KISS 99.5), that is how it started. This sound was AMAZING and Jerry and Layne's voices mixed so well together. It is so beautiful that you can't even explain.

This band helped me through my teen years, hell, I think I was the only one in my class who was listening to AIC back when I was 14 or 15, and listening to DIRT every night whenever I needed to rest. I put my headphones on, and let the music flow through in my head.:)

It saddens me that people are itimiating Layne, I mean, find your own voices and stop making $ of it him. I loved it how Eddie wrote that song b/c it is so true.

Happy B-day Layne:( RIP, we miss you.

Here is one of my favorite songs from AIC

~GOT ME WRONG~

Yeh, it goes away
    All of this and more of nothing in my life
    No color clay
    Individuality not safe

As of now I bet you got me wrong
    So unsure you run from something strong

I can’t let go
    Threadbare tapestry unwinding slow
    Feel a tortured brain