Options

framed poster thread

Comments

• Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    mrussel1 said:

Holland said:

Holland said:

Another quick question. While trying to match up mattes I seem to want to match a colour that is displayed on the print. For example I can not get away from trying to use a blue and/or red matte for The Catch and with my Worcester 1 poster I keep going back to orange and brown. Is this the way most people do their framing by trying to match and bring out colours that are already in the print?

A bit of advice that I recently learned is that a good starting point is to use the same or a similar color to the main focus of the print. So if the letters 'Pearl Jam' are in a light blue, start with a light blue and work from there.
    I just followed this advice with The Catch and used brown as a matte. It really makes Pearl Jam pop out but not sure if I want to be so close to the Worcester matte. I am never going to decide haha.
    So I framed something with beige as the base and I didn't like it. I felt like it neutralized the whole piece, rather than making the colors pop. I ended up putting blue on top and I'm much happier. Your results may vary, but I just didn't like it when it was done. Here they are:

you do this at Michaels? you remember what blue you used? that exactly the way i wanna frame mine
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    mrussel1 said:

Holland said:

Another quick question. While trying to match up mattes I seem to want to match a colour that is displayed on the print. For example I can not get away from trying to use a blue and/or red matte for The Catch and with my Worcester 1 poster I keep going back to orange and brown. Is this the way most people do their framing by trying to match and bring out colours that are already in the print?

That's what I do.. try to draw colors out. I'm not sure a real artist would do that or not though.
    I do the same and it's always been the recommendation of my framer.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    edited January 2017
    JP218404 said:

mrussel1 said:

Holland said:

Holland said:

A bit of advice that I recently learned is that a good starting point is to use the same or a similar color to the main focus of the print. So if the letters 'Pearl Jam' are in a light blue, start with a light blue and work from there.
    I just followed this advice with The Catch and used brown as a matte. It really makes Pearl Jam pop out but not sure if I want to be so close to the Worcester matte. I am never going to decide haha.
    So I framed something with beige as the base and I didn't like it. I felt like it neutralized the whole piece, rather than making the colors pop. I ended up putting blue on top and I'm much happier. Your results may vary, but I just didn't like it when it was done. Here they are:

you do this at Michaels? you remember what blue you used? that exactly the way i wanna frame mine
    I did it myself but the two bottom mats were from Michael's and the top blue was from AC Moore. Michael's has a very similar blue. The good thing about this poster is that there are several different shades of blue in it, so almost any of them will match and look good. I have found that AC Moore has MANY more options when it comes to the 'standard' colors... the ones that are 8.99 vs the premium which go from $15 to $50. I use those when I want something textured or the color is unique. The frame is from Michael's too.
  • Options
    HollandHolland Posts: 73
    mrussel1 said:

Holland said:

mrussel1 said:

Holland said:

Holland said:

I agree the blue does look better. Great job. I felt the same way with the brown for my print. I am now looking at doing a top matte of Bay blue and a bottom one of dark chocolate. It will still bring the brown out of the name but not overshadow the print. I am all set with my worcester print too. I am going with a tangerine orange on top and dark chocolate again for the bottom. Hopefully having 2 dark chocolate mattes look good side by side in the same room. If not I may split them up with Quebec in the middle.
    Sounds good. Love to see Quebec when that's done too. I have that as well and need to figure out what to do. I really like the print though.
    I actually framed that one already but it's a straight up 12 X 36 with no bells and whistles. Maybe down the road I may give it the proper treatment but I think with all of its colors it looks pretty good on its own.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

JP218404 said:

mrussel1 said:

Holland said:

Holland said:

I did it myself but the two bottom mats were from Michael's and the top blue was from AC Moore. Michael's has a very similar blue. The good thing about this poster is that there are several different shades of blue in it, so almost any of them will match and look good. I have found that AC Moore has MANY more options when it comes to the 'standard' colors... the ones that are 8.99 vs the premium which go from $15 to $50. I use those when I want something textured or the color is unique. The frame is from Michael's too.
    thanks. with the $79 deal going on planned on dropped it off
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    JP218404 said:

mrussel1 said:

JP218404 said:

mrussel1 said:

Holland said:

Holland said:

What does the 80 bucks get you? Is that just the labor and then frame and mat(s) are on top of it? Also, will they do multiple mats or just single for that price?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    mrussel1 said:

JP218404 said:

mrussel1 said:

JP218404 said:

mrussel1 said:

Holland said:

Holland said:

What does the 80 bucks get you? Is that just the labor and then frame and mat(s) are on top of it? Also, will they do multiple mats or just single for that price?
    can choose from 5 different colored frames, one standard color mat and uv glass all for $79. was $85 with tax. runs til the end of the month.
    Post edited by JP218404 on
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Just picked up this one yesterday. Kinda wish I went with a double matte with black on the inside instead of the single matte with white and black on the inner part, but it still turned out pretty good. It's such a sharp looking poster...looks great in person.

• Options
    msswmssw Brazil Posts: 23
    I've just moved to a new house and decided to frame and hang my posters...

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

Just picked up this one yesterday. Kinda wish I went with a double matte with black on the inside instead of the single matte with white and black on the inner part, but it still turned out pretty good. It's such a sharp looking poster...looks great in person.

Very Nice! One of my recent favs.
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    edited January 2017
    Just picked up tonight.

Post edited by KC138045 on
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    UNH1995UNH1995 Worcester Posts: 356
    edited January 2017
    I went with the red frame for the red sox. The green of the tickets plays well with the monster green.
    Post edited by UNH1995 on
    Lalapalooza 1992, Orphium Boston 1994, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1998, Mansfield 2000, Mansfield 2003(1&3), West Palm 2003, State College 2003, Boston 2004, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Chicago 2006, Boston 2006, Mansfield 2008(1&2), Hartford 2008, Hartford 2010, Boston 2010, Worcester 2013 (1&2), All Four Fenway shows 2016 & 2018.
  • Options
    UNH1995UNH1995 Worcester Posts: 356

Lalapalooza 1992, Orphium Boston 1994, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1998, Mansfield 2000, Mansfield 2003(1&3), West Palm 2003, State College 2003, Boston 2004, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Chicago 2006, Boston 2006, Mansfield 2008(1&2), Hartford 2008, Hartford 2010, Boston 2010, Worcester 2013 (1&2), All Four Fenway shows 2016 & 2018.
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    UNH1995 said:

Very nice!!
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    fl4tdrivenfl4tdriven Moscow, PA Posts: 332
    UNH1995 said:

Excellent job! I'm a fan of this print to begin with, but the red frame just makes it that much better.
    Philly 10/21/13 - MSG 5/1/16 - Fenway 8/5/16 - TOTD 11/4/16
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,821
    UNH1995 said:

This looks great. Mine is getting framed right now and is basically exactly the same just with a black frame, just because I use the same black fram for all of mine.
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    UNH1995 said:

I like that. The red & white works well with the trapezoidal "frame" around the background in the image itself. Gives the artwork a sort of 3D look to it.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

UNH1995 said:

I like that. The red & white works well with the trapezoidal "frame" around the background in the image itself. Gives the artwork a sort of 3D look to it.
    Agree, I like it
  • Options
    BB162610BB162610 Upstate NY Posts: 541
    A lot of great frame jobs going on here. Remember to submit your pics to www.shouldabeenframed.com to help give other folks inspiration for framing/matting in a searchable database of images.

There haven't been a lot of updates to the site because submissions have been slow. I have a few more pics going up tonight.

You can always email pics to ben@shouldabeenframed.com or PM me some links of images and I will get them live on the site. Keep the great frame jobs coming!
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,821
    BB162610 said:

A lot of great frame jobs going on here. Remember to submit your pics to www.shouldabeenframed.com to help give other folks inspiration for framing/matting in a searchable database of images.

There haven't been a lot of updates to the site because submissions have been slow. I have a few more pics going up tonight.

You can always email pics to ben@shouldabeenframed.com or PM me some links of images and I will get them live on the site. Keep the great frame jobs coming!

Sent you 2 over the weekend, hope you got them (MIA and a Brandon Boyd print). Will hopefully be sending you a few more in the next couple weeks. Great work!
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,437
    I just ordered 3 frames from American frame for a few pj related projects. Will post after I get them put together.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    I am thinking about doing the deal at Michael's for a few posters (you cannot beat $80). I usually do a double mat for my prints and wanted to get opinions from the board about how much a difference the 2nd mat makes. Mist of the prints are going to be in the same room and I was not sure if it would look weird to have a mix of prints with different matting.
  • Options

:-)
  • Options

:-) :-)
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    PJ-Cubs said:

I am thinking about doing the deal at Michael's for a few posters (you cannot beat $80). I usually do a double mat for my prints and wanted to get opinions from the board about how much a difference the 2nd mat makes. Mist of the prints are going to be in the same room and I was not sure if it would look weird to have a mix of prints with different matting.

@derbydave has a mix of all sorts of mat colors and frame types hanging all over his walls and they look great!

You don't have to go with the same frame. You don't have to hang them in a straight line. It is good, given the choice of made to order frames vs shelf stock, to have the same sized mat border all the way around a poster. But, you don't have to do that either.

Ultimately, they are yours and yours to hang. Put your personality into what you do. Whatever you do, just do something that makes you happy to hang them up.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    And for a little extra fun...just dropped off Charlotte 96 at the framers too :)

https://www.facebook.com/isaac.stein1/posts/10154893475951445
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    edited January 2017
    photo IMG_2073_zpszmwolkri.jpg

photo IMG_2072_zpsrbkq8i7i.jpg

photo IMG_2080_zpsofumo6xe.jpg

photo IMG_0189_zpsmtb8ovdu.jpg
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I really love the Edmonton above. The light pink matting really brings out that similar shade of color at the top of the poster. A gray matte looks great too like the other examples in this thread but went in a different direction with it.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Some others that recently came back from the framers. Unfortunately the glare is strong in these ones.

Reused a frame and matte for the Pitt. Like it but better options out there for the matting I think. The '98 East Troy never appealed to me but I love it with the black matting. Tough to tell but the Bogota has three sigs on it (Mike, Matt and Stone)! Damn Jeff didn't say hello and Ed wasn't signing anything!

photo IMG_0160_zpsvtmmdoth.jpg

photo IMG_0159_zpsyau4w1wx.jpg
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,437
    Nice framing!!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore