Options

LA people!! Hotel?

Comments

• Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    cutback wrote:
    well i've never stayed at these places....i live here...;) :D

seriously, like i said, for convenience to the shows i think uni city or downtown....for a fun weekend head out to the westside....:)

oh oops-yeah, that was meant for NY Ben!

and I agree with you :-)
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    cutback wrote:
    for a fun weekend head out to the westside....:)
    'im headed out WEST sucka-becuz i wanna be a COWBOY.....' :D
    (hadd to throw some kid rock up in here!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,451
    I would try to stay around Beverly Hills, since it is sort of in the middle between Hollywood, Santa Monica, the venue, etc. It is a good base, and, if you are not renting a car, Wilshire Blvd has many busses (our bus system is lacking, but it is relatively ok to get to touristy places).

Another option is the Sunset Strip......clubs, bars and restaurants aplenty.
  • Options
    to really give u guys hotel info, WHEN are you checking in and how long do u plan on being out here? becuz when i go see shows or something out of town, if im gonna be there more than just for the 2 days of shows, i prefer to stay somewhere that the action is. Why? Becuz then what are u gonna do once the day of show is over? Cruise around the wiltern??? i think not!!!! Seriously, the time frame of your stay would help US in l.a find u a good area to stay in!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    IAnother option is the Sunset Strip......clubs, bars and restaurants aplenty.

"THE RIOT HOUSE!!! you know, the continental hyatt....sunset strip" :D

and in the other thread, i mentioned the best western in the heart of sunset. its nice and has good rates.

• Options
    SOME IDEAS:

If you want to be:
    near the Wiltern: Ramada Inn approx $95/nt
    near beaches/stuff: Best Western approx $150/nt
    near Sunset/nightlife: Best Western (good call, Senrock!) approx $170/nt
    near Universal: Ramada Inn approx $90/nt

These are just approximations, and are just to give an idea of pricing, location, etc...

• Options
    The more I think about it, the more I want to stay somewhere where there is plenty of action. We'll be coming up on Friday and staying until Monday, so we should have a little time to see the sights. It looks like you can get the Mondrian for $ 130 a night on Priceline. It looks very swank, is on Sunset Blvd in West Hollywood, and is 2 miles from the Metro (which takes you right to the Wiltern).
  • Options
    The more I think about it, the more I want to stay somewhere where there is plenty of action. We'll be coming up on Friday and staying until Monday, so we should have a little time to see the sights. It looks like you can get the Mondrian for $ 130 a night on Priceline. It looks very swank, is on Sunset Blvd in West Hollywood, and is 2 miles from the Metro (which takes you right to the Wiltern).

on Mondrian's website, it says that they will be doing renovations on guestrooms until Sept...so it might be messy/noisy...

• Options
    One thing to note about the Metro Red line. The Wilshire/Western stop, where the Wiltern is located, is on a short spur, like a culda-sac off the main line. So if you are coming from the Northwest, say from Universal, you have to exit the stop where the spur breaks off, and then catch a train to the end of the spur. If you are coming from the East, make sure your train goes down the spur or you'll get off where the spur breaks off, and switch. No prob at all, just letting you know.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,130
    SOME IDEAS:

If you want to be:
    near the Wiltern: Ramada Inn approx $95/nt
    near beaches/stuff: Best Western approx $150/nt
    near Sunset/nightlife: Best Western (good call, Senrock!) approx $170/nt
    near Universal: Ramada Inn approx $90/nt

These are just approximations, and are just to give an idea of pricing, location, etc...

I'm not going but I can offer insight on the Ramada near the Wiltern on Wilshire, which I stayed at the last two times I visited my friend in LA.

I didn't have any problems with the area and the reason why I stayed there besides price is the location. I don't drive, so I actually relied on the metro system to get around during the day. That hotel is located two blocks from the Western-Wilshire stop on the Purple Line. That connects to the Red Line which goes from North Hollywood to Union Station.

There also are a lot of buses on Wilshire. There is one local bus that ends in Santa Monica and a rapid bus that stops at the major streets and ends in Westwood.

I can't speak for the transit at night, other than that I used it to go to the Staples Center.

Hope that helps.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    One thing to note about the Metro Red line. The Wilshire/Western stop, where the Wiltern is located, is on a short spur, like a culda-sac off the main line. So if you are coming from the Northwest, say from Universal, you have to exit the stop where the spur breaks off, and then catch a train to the end of the spur. If you are coming from the East, make sure your train goes down the spur or you'll get off where the spur breaks off, and switch. No prob at all, just letting you know.
    hey! i hardly see u around here anymore, its good of you to grace this thread with your presence! :)

• Options
    i hear santa monica is lovely that time of year...
  • Options
    I'm not going but I can offer insight on the Ramada near the Wiltern on Wilshire, which I stayed at the last two times I visited my friend in LA.

I didn't have any problems with the area and the reason why I stayed there besides price is the location. I don't drive, so I actually relied on the metro system to get around during the day. That hotel is located two blocks from the Western-Wilshire stop on the Purple Line. That connects to the Red Line which goes from North Hollywood to Union Station.

There also are a lot of buses on Wilshire. There is one local bus that ends in Santa Monica and a rapid bus that stops at the major streets and ends in Westwood.

I can't speak for the transit at night, other than that I used it to go to the Staples Center.

Hope that helps.

Fantastic! Thanks for that...

• Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    hey! i hardly see u around here anymore, its good of you to grace this thread with your presence! :)
    Hey, how have you been? Been so swamped with work and a bunch of other things. Great to see you!
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    Fantastic! Thanks for that...

no problem, glad i could help. here's my official review:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g32655-d84480-r13288432-Ramada_Wilshire_Center-Los_Angeles_California.html
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options

ha! i read that review earlier :-)

• Options
    glad i can help. :)
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,576
    To you guys coming to LA for the first time: LA is very spread out. Do your research on hotels (listen to the people who live there, etc.). You do not want to stay right by the Wiltern, IMO, or at downtown, or at LAX. Figure out what you want to do and see in LA - if you want to hit Universal, stay closer to it. If you want to hang out on Sunset, stay closer to it. If you are into the beaches, there are lots of great beach communities. But be prepared for some cab rides. Locals generally do not ride the subway. It is mostly for the homeless and business commuters. Ride at your own risk. I love public transportation everywhere in the world but my home city. I never ride the subway or take buses in LA. Most people who live here would agree.

Good luck.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, Los Angeles 5/21/24, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    To you guys coming to LA for the first time: LA is very spread out. Do your research on hotels (listen to the people who live there, etc.). You do not want to stay right by the Wiltern, IMO, or at downtown, or at LAX. Figure out what you want to do and see in LA - if you want to hit Universal, stay closer to it. If you want to hang out on Sunset, stay closer to it. If you are into the beaches, there are lots of great beach communities. But be prepared for some cab rides. Locals generally do not ride the subway. It is mostly for the homeless and business commuters. Ride at your own risk. I love public transportation everywhere in the world but my home city. I never ride the subway or take buses in LA. Most people who live here would agree.

Good luck.

Some more great info. Thank you very much.
    So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
    You're batman!- George
    Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer
  • Options
    Figure out what you want to do and see in LA - if you want to hit Universal, stay closer to it. If you want to hang out on Sunset, stay closer to it. If you are into the beaches, there are lots of great beach communities. But be prepared for some cab rides. Locals generally do not ride the subway. It is mostly for the homeless and business commuters. Ride at your own risk. I love public transportation everywhere in the world but my home city. I never ride the subway or take buses in LA. Most people who live here would agree.

Good luck.
    hey stranger!
    thats what i was saying too; figure out what u wanna do while here and stay THERE. And i comPLETELY agree with you about public transportation. i LOVE it everywhere else but have not ONCE taken a cab, train, bus, etc. here in L.A!!!

• Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,576
    SENROCK! wrote:
    hey stranger!
    thats what i was saying too; figure out what u wanna do while here and stay THERE. And i comPLETELY agree with you about public transportation. i LOVE it everywhere else but have not ONCE taken a cab, train, bus, etc. here in L.A!!!

What up Senrock. Yeah, I have taken cabs. They're usually dirty but OK. Buses are completely out, as far as I'm concerned. And the metro link or whatever is pretty dicey too. I keep waiting for them to announce they are building a line between West LA and the Valley, but that will probably never happen.

I often think about what I would want to do in LA if I were visiting for the first time... I guess if you are into live bands, you should hit Sunset. If you are into shopping, Beverly Hills, etc. Obviously, there is Hollywood. I personally hang out more in West LA, but that's because I don't like the touristy stuff.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, Los Angeles 5/21/24, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    Solat13 wrote:
    Santa Monica would be great. I was planning on watching the Red Sox Yankees game the Friday between the shows at Sonny MClean's - the big Red Sox bar out on Wilshire in Santa Monica.

now that sounds like a plan!
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • Options
    what/where do you recommend?

Good luck.
  • Options
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    what mta line should I take to get to the wiltern?

well it depends....have you decided where you are staying?
  • Options
    I have been on the MTA Red Line, Blue Line and Gold line. They are safe. Even the Blue Line which goes through the filming set of "COPS". The busses are ugly, often resemble sewers on wheels, but are safe. I don't think that is an issue.

Pick where you want to have fun and stay there, travel to the Wiltern, don't stay around there.
  • Options
    Pick where you want to have fun and stay there, travel to the Wiltern, don't stay around there.

thats what we ALL are trying to tell visitors!!! :D

• Options
    Yup, I'm working on it...it looks like we might be able to get group rates if we have 10+ rooms, so I think JamBayLeaf is right, if we can get a tentative idea of how many rooms we'll need, we might be on to something...

POSSIBLE ROOMS:

JAMBAYLEAF
    SOLAT13
    NOCODE4
    KINGJEREMY
    McJuicy

Pearlgirl, can I be part of the group?. I am not sure if I´ll get tickets tomorrow, but I was planning to go to LA anyway...
    That would be my 1st. time in LA, and I´ll probably rent a car alone...so, 4 people can come along for the show
    Daniella Duarte
    **Que Porra estávamos pensando?** EV São Paulo 03/12/05
  • Options
    danielladb wrote:
    Pearlgirl, can I be part of the group?. I am not sure if I´ll get tickets tomorrow, but I was planning to go to LA anyway...
    That would be my 1st. time in LA, and I´ll probably rent a car alone...so, 4 people can come along for the show

of course! I'll add you to the list and update that post...