*** Boston, MA 1 Fanviews Here 9.15.24 ***

SeaSea Posts: 3,001
edited September 16 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam
Fenway Park
Boston, MA
September 15th 2024
Show One

Opening Band: Glen Hansard with guest Olivia Vedder.  They performed “My Father’s Daughter”
Walk On Music: Dark Entree

Band Onstage 7:52
Band Offstage 10:20

Set List
01. Footsteps
02. Release
03. Given To Fly
04. Hail, Hail
05. Corduroy
06. Scared Of Fear
07. React, Respond
{Ed acknowledges guy dressed as a cow who is often at Boston shows.  He talks about Howard Zinn for whom the next song was written. Zinn was an optimist but he knew democracy was very important for this nation.  Our rights are important and were once fought for.}
08. Down
(Ed speaks emotionally about climbing trees with his friend Chris Cornell.  After the song he said he forgot to mention they called the tree The Green Monster)
09. In My Tree
10. Wreckage
11. Even Flow
12. Dark Matter
13. Do The Evolution
{Ed addressed Ted Nugent saying they love his guitar playing. Ed likes archery and throwing axes.  “We have more in common than you think” we just want sensible gun laws.}
14. Glorified G
15. Jeremy
16. Something Special
17. Rearviewmirror (Ed pauses song for incident in crowd. Checking on safety)

Encore Break.  Ed tells a story about Red Sox pitcher Tim Wakefield with Jason Varitek catching.  He mourns Tim and Stacy Wakefield’s passing.

18. Just Breathe (song briefly paused for incident in crowd)
(Ed mentions Chip and Griffin, father and son. Chip has cancer)
19. Song Of Good Hope-(Hansard) w/ Glen Hansard acoustic guitar and harmony vocals. Ed lead vocals
20. Blood (very brief Atomic dog. Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie aye for 5 seconds)
21. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling) 2:52
22. Setting Sun
23. State Of Love And Trust
24. Alive
25. Rockin' In The Free World-(Young) w/ members of Glen Hansard band, Olivia and friends)
26. Yellow Ledbetter/Star Spangled Banner
(Ed brings Peter Gammons onstage at end of show to wave goodbye)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you!
Thank you, John for the set list & notes

Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• Best of the 5 Fenway shows for me!
  • DL136722DL136722 Posts: 685
    edited September 16
    PLEASE STOP PLAYING WRECKAGE! 🙏

Other than that, Just Breathe and Song of Good Hope do sort of suck some energy out of the set, otherwise, excellent show! 
    Post edited by DL136722 on
    Tweeter Center - Aug 29, 2000;Tweeter Center - Aug 30, 2000;Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000;Pepsi Arena - Apr 29, 2003;Bryce-Jordan Center - May 03, 2003;Bell Center - Jun 29, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 05, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 06, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 08, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003;TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006;TD Banknorth Garden - May 25, 2006;Fleet Center - Sept 28, 2004;Fleet Center - Sept 29, 2004;Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 New England Dodge Music Arena - May 13, 2006;Grant Park - Aug 05, 2007;Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008;Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008 XL Arena - May 15, 2010;TD Garden - May 17, 2010;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sept 03, 2011;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011 Corel Centre - Sep 16, 2005;Colisee Pepsi Arena - Sep 20, 2005; Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 15, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 16, 2013; Fenway Park - August 5, 2016; Fenway Park - August 7, 2016

Oh Dude!
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,377
    Nice to see something special appear
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • DL136722 said:

Other than that, Just Breathe and Song of Good Hope do sort of suck some energy out of the set, otherwise, excellent show! 
    I’m not a fan of the Dark Matter album at all; I consider it their second weakest album after Riot Act. I don't get the hype. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,613
    Pretty damn good.
    More detail tomorrow.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • DL136722DL136722 Posts: 685
    edited September 16
    DL136722 said:

I’m not a fan of the Dark Matter album at all; I consider it their second weakest album after Riot Act. I don't get the hype. 
    I don't get the hype for Wreckage, the other songs on the album aren't bad. This setlist was very good, they sounded great but I would agree with other's comments about the songs choices coming back for the encore. Song of Good Hope is a beautiful song but it simply doesn't belong on the PJ set. It should be the closer of GH's set. 
    Post edited by DL136722 on
    Tweeter Center - Aug 29, 2000;Tweeter Center - Aug 30, 2000;Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000;Pepsi Arena - Apr 29, 2003;Bryce-Jordan Center - May 03, 2003;Bell Center - Jun 29, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 05, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 06, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 08, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003;TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006;TD Banknorth Garden - May 25, 2006;Fleet Center - Sept 28, 2004;Fleet Center - Sept 29, 2004;Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 New England Dodge Music Arena - May 13, 2006;Grant Park - Aug 05, 2007;Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008;Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008 XL Arena - May 15, 2010;TD Garden - May 17, 2010;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sept 03, 2011;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011 Corel Centre - Sep 16, 2005;Colisee Pepsi Arena - Sep 20, 2005; Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 15, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 16, 2013; Fenway Park - August 5, 2016; Fenway Park - August 7, 2016

Oh Dude!
  • JH59748JH59748 Posts: 96
    Dark Matter album so much better then Gigaton and lightning bolt   I’ve gone to 4 shows this tour and so thankful they didn’t play any Gigaton. Also tonite was awesome best of the shows I’ve gone to Ch1,2 Msg1
  • booboolisciousboobooliscious Hebron, KY Posts: 261
    I love the Dark Matter focus, especially Wreckage. Best album since Avocado IMHO. Different strokes for different folks is what makes it great. Somehow Release has evaded me since pre-Covid, so that was awesome. Down, In My Tree, Glorified G, Blood & a patriotic closer…thank you @wavesrollby for convincing me to line up early. I still haven’t had a drink of Ed’s wine, but my Riot Act T-shirt is now stained with it. Loved the show and the people around me as always. 
  • southpsouthp Posts: 292
    edited September 16
    Perfect show. So happy with that setlist and my first time ever setting foot in Fenway. I got all my favourites, and it was great to get the new DM songs. It’s our only show this tour, and We were thrilled to hear Wreckage and Setting Sun. Personal highlights were Corduroy (I have to have it), Betterman with SIFL ( my wife loves that song), In my Tree and SOLAT

What made this trip extra special was the lovely time we had in Boston. Bumping into Matt Cameron on Charles st in Beacon Hill yesterday was an added bonus. Oh and slight correction to the first post. It was John Krasinski and Justin Theroux who came out for RITFW.  That was the cherry on top for my wife. We are huge Office fans. 

And speaking of other fanboy moments we also bumped into this Bruins-killer at the show. Coming from Montreal this was a huge thrill. (For those of you who aren’t hockey fans that’s retired NHLer PK Subban)
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    edited September 16
    Footsteps into Release into GTF made me think we were in for something historic .

But very quickly it became a a pretty standard setlist for this tour with casual fan favorites "Jeremy" "Corduroy " "Betterman" and "RVM". 

Thank god for the fan request of "Blood" and Mike's full star-Spangled Banner tag onto Yellow Ledbetter ; otherwise there were no surprises . 
    "Blood" replaced "Never Destination" on the setlist which would have been a horrible choice to play to the Fenway crowd . It seems that Ed loves that song but nobody else does!
    "Blood" was ferocious!

I personally wished they had played "Undone" for howard zinn because "Down" has been played into the ground here in Boston.

I realize RITFW gives Ed the time to circulate all the tambourines, but it's Needs to be retired. Fucking Up would be a nice replacement .

I predict Fenway 2  will be a much much better Setlist for hard-core fans.

A quick sidenote, Ed's vocals upfront work crystal clear and Mike's guitar was super loud. Which is a good thing. Matt's drums seemed a bit muddled in the sound mix. I'm hoping they get that better night number two. 

Stay safe everybody!
    Post edited by locked on
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,414
    Great show but the stopping mid song for crowd issues is getting really old.  3 of the 4 shows I did had a stoppage mid song.  Love Down was great to hear. Being in Fenway is always cool for An outsider.  Cool as hell to be on.m field,  I’m sure a lot will complain about as all the hits but damn they still sound fantastic .  Not the best show ever but damn fun, 
  • Need a good sleep to digest tomorrow. In the meantime....
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • mjd327mjd327 Posts: 160
    I went to both MSG and then tonight. I thought the setlist was great, and some I really liked hearing (Glorified G, In my Tree, extended Better Man). But the sound really let things down - MSG vs Fenway it was a huge downgrade. I think it probably depends where you are? Some people said they heard the guitar super clear above and the drums were muddled in the mix. For me, I heard the drums super clear but the guitar was muddled in the mix, and so it was hard to distinguish the guitar parts, making things just sound overall noisy and muddled rather than clear. I feel bad for people that don't know the songs well because from that angle (We were on the side) it was very hard to actually hear the music behind the songs in a way that is understandable. Tuesday I'm going with my mom whose never seen them before, and I hope it sounds better than tonight because she doesn't really know their music well and you couldn't really make out what they were actually playing from where I sat tonight! 

Am I crazy or did they skip the best part of Do the Evolution with Stone's guitar riff? I feel like we went right to the choir? Or did I just totally space out? Haha. Anyway it was a very great setlist marred only by the sound - having seen them at MSG I think it isn't the band's fault. But they sounded so tight and powerful and energetic at MSG and from where I sat tonight it didn't come across that way -Im sure they were playing great, but the sound difference of an arena vs a stadium was hard to get over. It did somehow send better to me on the encore - maybe my ears got used to it? I loved the encore set and Blood was a fun surprise though I would have liked Never Destination too!

I also loved getting Something Special, it's one of my favorites on the album.
  • mjd327 said:
    Am I crazy or did they skip the best part of Do the Evolution with Stone's guitar riff? I feel like we went right to the choir? Or did I just totally space out?
    Ed def missed a verse there.
  • ragejoeragejoe Posts: 1,417
    Another fun one at Fenway. Hard to rank all 6 Fenway shows cause of how the shows are now but my 44 th I went to both MSG and I’ve been to all 5 Fenway. Felt like we had great energy tonight and a fun setlist where the main set flew by.   The dedications this tour bring the focus of Eddie’s talk   Just makes me love this guys perspective even more then I already did prior to the last year or two.  Band in great spirits and sound great every show and say what you want setlist wise but they are absolutely keeping us on our toes for the most part despite the drop of the 2 nd encore     1 more to go.  Gotta believe they got a surprise or two in store for Tuesday.  My #1 and pretty much only white whale is DIRTY FRANk full version and they did tease it Fenway 2 2018….    Something about Jeremy at Fenway is always such great energy and hair raising.  My wife’s first Pearl Jam show she has been to Eddie solo/earthlings a couple times with me.  To see her face when the lights went on for the Alive Jam and RITFW she was 100% moved by the engagement between the band and the crowd and it was a beautiful thing to witness!!!   1 left.  They won’t disappoint! 

One negative side note my ten club tickets were super Bizarre tonight (210xxx).  Field B1 which was cool but cause we were on the aisle we were so far even right of stone we could NOT see the stage hardly at all and had to rely on the video board all night despite being row 9 B1   Im same section and row Tuesday but the complete other side of it so I’ll be almost in front of stone 
    1998 Tour- Hartford 9/13
    2000 Tour- Saratoga 8/27 Boston 8/29, 8/30
    2003 Tour- Albany 4/29 Boston 7/2,7/3,7/11 Philadelphia 7/5,7/6 MSG 7/8,7/9
    2004 Tour-
    Boston 9/28,9/29
    2006 Tour-
    Albany 5/12 Hartford 5/13 Boston 5/24,5/25
    2008 Tour-
    MSG 6/24,6/25 Hartford 6/27 Boston 6/28,6/30 Eddie- Boston 8/1
    2009 Tour-
    Eddie- Albany 6/9 Philly Spectrum- 10/30, 10/31
    2010 Tour-
    Hartford 5/15 MSG 5/20,5/21
    2011 Tour-
    Eddie- Hartford 6/18
    2013 Tour- Worcester,MA 10/15,10/16 Hartford 10/25
    2016 Tour- MSG 5/1,5/2 FENWAY 8/5,8/7
    2018 Tour- Fenway 9/2, 9/4 (My 40th show)!
  • MM70435MM70435 Posts: 279
    locked said:
    Footsteps into Release into GTF made me think we were in for something historic .

But very quickly it became a a pretty standard setlist for this tour with casual fan favorites "Jeremy" "Corduroy " "Betterman" and "RVM". 

Thank god for the fan request of "Blood" and Mike's full star-Spangled Banner tag onto Yellow Ledbetter ; otherwise there were no surprises . 
    "Blood" replaced "Never Destination" on the setlist which would have been a horrible choice to play to the Fenway crowd . It seems that Ed loves that song but nobody else does!
    "Blood" was ferocious!

I personally wished they had played "Undone" for howard zinn because "Down" has been played into the ground here in Boston.

I realize RITFW gives Ed the time to circulate all the tambourines, but it's Needs to be retired. Fucking Up would be a nice replacement .

I predict Fenway 2  will be a much much better Setlist for hard-core fans.

A quick sidenote, Ed's vocals upfront work crystal clear and Mike's guitar was super loud. Which is a good thing. Matt's drums seemed a bit muddled in the sound mix. I'm hoping they get that better night number two. 

Stay safe everybody!
    I love Never Destination.  Go Animal likes it as well.  It has only been played 8 times total.  It seems Ed loves it?  
    00 - Atlanta                                            10 - MSG I&II    
    03 - Birmingham, Atlanta                       22 - L̶a̶s̶ ̶V̶e̶g̶a̶s̶, Camden, Nashville   
    04 - Asheville, Kissimmee                     23 -  Ft Worth II                                                                                
    08 - Tampa, Columbia                           24 -  Philadelphia I&II, Baltimore
    09 - Atlanta I&II (EV)
                    " if hope could grow from dirt like me. It can be done.
  • yosiyosi Posts: 2,982
    edited September 16
    DL136722 said:

Glad this petition wasn’t going on when I saw them. LOVE Wreckage and was thrilled to hear it three times!

Looks like a solid show, hope everyone enjoyed!
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Trio of Won't Tell, Upper Hand and Stevie was somehow absent. Needed back on setlist for tomorrow. 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,107
    edited September 16
    mjd327 said:
    I went to both MSG and then tonight. I thought the setlist was great, and some I really liked hearing (Glorified G, In my Tree, extended Better Man). But the sound really let things down - MSG vs Fenway it was a huge downgrade. I think it probably depends where you are? Some people said they heard the guitar super clear above and the drums were muddled in the mix. For me, I heard the drums super clear but the guitar was muddled in the mix, and so it was hard to distinguish the guitar parts, making things just sound overall noisy and muddled rather than clear. I feel bad for people that don't know the songs well because from that angle (We were on the side) it was very hard to actually hear the music behind the songs in a way that is understandable. Tuesday I'm going with my mom whose never seen them before, and I hope it sounds better than tonight because she doesn't really know their music well and you couldn't really make out what they were actually playing from where I sat tonight! 

Am I crazy or did they skip the best part of Do the Evolution with Stone's guitar riff? I feel like we went right to the choir? Or did I just totally space out? Haha. Anyway it was a very great setlist marred only by the sound - having seen them at MSG I think it isn't the band's fault. But they sounded so tight and powerful and energetic at MSG and from where I sat tonight it didn't come across that way -Im sure they were playing great, but the sound difference of an arena vs a stadium was hard to get over. It did somehow send better to me on the encore - maybe my ears got used to it? I loved the encore set and Blood was a fun surprise though I would have liked Never Destination too!

I also loved getting Something Special, it's one of my favorites on the album.
    Yeah the other thing with DTE was something weird happened with the sound as they came out of Dark Matter. DM sounded fantastic and then it was like someone leaned on a button and the high end just dropped out. I think it would have been a great transition. Not sure if that led to whatever happened with DTE itself.
  • So. It looked like good crowd energy. Interesting set list. Sitting across the field, I thought the cameras and lighting enhanced the experience.

Our tweet-sized take was: good show, but some of the people around us were awful. A lot of people were really, really drunk well before the band took the stage. And it’s hard to say how the sound was thanks to the two drunk dorks who loudly regaled each other with their wits The. Whole. Time. So, 👋 if you and your bud were in field box 22, shouting and shit-talking for 2.5 hours straight, you might want to tone it down tomorrow night (they told everyone they’ll be back); the very large man sitting next to you spent the show resisting the urge to stomp you both, and I doubt that many people have his patience and forbearance. 

We managed to enjoy the show nonetheless. Ballpark shows are a different vibe than arena shows; I’m not a big fan of Fenway — it has a lot of history, but … it needs updating. Anyway: we are looking forward to tomorrow night.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,268
    So. It looked like good crowd energy. Interesting set list. Sitting across the field, I thought the cameras and lighting enhanced the experience.

Our tweet-sized take was: good show, but some of the people around us were awful. A lot of people were really, really drunk well before the band took the stage. And it’s hard to say how the sound was thanks to the two drunk dorks who loudly regaled each other with their wits The. Whole. Time. So, 👋 if you and your bud were in field box 22, shouting and shit-talking for 2.5 hours straight, you might want to tone it down tomorrow night (they told everyone they’ll be back); the very large man sitting next to you spent the show resisting the urge to stomp you both, and I doubt that many people have his patience and forbearance. 

We managed to enjoy the show nonetheless. Ballpark shows are a different vibe than arena shows; I’m not a big fan of Fenway — it has a lot of history, but … it needs updating. Anyway: we are looking forward to tomorrow night.
    Damn. Cannot stand people like that. My nightmare 
  • ragejoe said:

One negative side note my ten club tickets were super Bizarre tonight (210xxx).  Field B1 which was cool but cause we were on the aisle we were so far even right of stone we could NOT see the stage hardly at all and had to rely on the video board all night despite being row 9 B1   Im same section and row Tuesday but the complete other side of it so I’ll be almost in front of stone 
    Dang - I'm B1 for tomorrow, row 11 but on the outside aisle. I was afraid of the view. I'm tall as fuck so hopefully that helps.
  • If you’re not happy with that setlist, just stop going to shows. 
    Wrigley 7/19/2013
    Philadelphia 10/22/2013
    Baltimore 10/27/2013
    Hampton 4/18/2016
    Ft. Worth 9/13/2023
    Ft. Worth 9/15/2023
    Wrigley 8/31/2024
    Baltimore 9/12/2024
    Fenway 9/15/2024
  • Had a blast. My daughter's first show so was happy to get a good mix of hits and other stuff.  Fun people in our section. I wished they would put Setting Sun at the end, or at least next to last. Weird placement. But that's a minor nitpick.  

Sound on the field is tremendous. We were over in B7. Great view and sound.  Hoping to get back tomorrow night. 
  • Fun show last night.  Incredibly strong start and crowd was very good for a ballpark show.  Thought the main set flowed really.  Encore was a little clunky to start but they finished strong with Blood and SOLAT.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,268
    If you’re not happy with that setlist, just stop going to shows. 
    I do understand the complaints back in 2021. It was a hard pill to swallow. But this year I think they perfected a formula. New , hits and a few deep for 25-27 songs. Can’t ask for more than that. Can’t see how anyone could be disappointed setlist wise. I do understand personal experiences due to seats or idiots around you affecting your review though. 
  • bstoosbstoos Posts: 38
    First show in ten years, ninth overall; first at Fenway. We were in F39 second row behind home plate. We really enjoyed seeing them play again. Footsteps was an unexpected opener for me but a great start. Release is always a favorite and the song my wife most wanted to hear. Corduroy was a barn burner. I enjoyed the Dark Matter songs - it makes the album so much better after I hear songs live. I love the drum part for In My Tree and was excited to hear that for the first time since 96. I loved hearing Glorified G for the first time ever as it is one of my two favorite Vs songs. Following that up with Jeremy was awesome. Just Breathe was our first dance when we got married so always welcome. My wife loved Song of Good Hope. I thought it was well done. Blood was a great surprise -Eddie’s vocals sounded strained but the song is so much fun. Another I had seen in 96 but never expected to get again. Betterman is always a fun sing along. They could play SOLAT at every show I see and I would be happy. It always kills live. The rest of the encore was a great celebration with the Star Spangled Banner a great way to cap it off. 

Overall it was an enjoyable show. Our seats were odd because they were separated from the field seats due to the infield. Made us feel a little apart from the crowd and we didn’t feel enveloped by the sing alongs like I do in an arena. Also, we felt terrible for the couple behind us. During RVM some drunk guy in the row behind them threw up and I think splashed them. Stadium staff escorted him out and cleaned it up quickly but that was a bit of a vibe killer. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,107
    nicknyr15 said:
    If you’re not happy with that setlist, just stop going to shows. 
    I do understand the complaints back in 2021. It was a hard pill to swallow. But this year I think they perfected a formula. New , hits and a few deep for 25-27 songs. Can’t ask for more than that. Can’t see how anyone could be disappointed setlist wise. I do understand personal experiences due to seats or idiots around you affecting your review though. 
    If the last time you saw them was pre-formula it's hard not to compare/contrast
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,613

This guy just keeps getting better and better.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • merlin401merlin401 Posts: 230
    Here’s my snobby review because I always have a wonderful time going to see Pearl Jam so that would be boring to just say over and over.  So instead I’ll give my pluses and minuses compared to all my other concerts.

First my own fuck up:  had no idea they were going to go on before 8!  I missed the opener in the bathroom, oh well!  

Had seats in field 69 which was nice.  A little further back then expected but I liked being a little elevated.  Sound was good 

Beginning had a lot of energy with a lot of crowd favorites.  Hail Hail is a great live song.  Corduroy had a lot of call/response crowd interaction (as did better man later on).

ed sounded a little tipsy early and it let to some really enjoyable exchanges and stories (especially with cow man saying he was surprised he hadn’t been turned into hamburger by now and him telling a long meandering story about his childhood tree climbing only to come on after In my tree to say “oh yeah, I forgot the whole point of that story.  The tree was called the green monster” lol).  Love in my tree live btw.

I don’t think we will hear a ton of the new album again.  They are fine but not memorable live to me.  Ironically wreckage was the new one I enjoyed the most. 

I wish even flow and DTE went into rotation instead of being staples.  Sometimes they start to feel stale to me when they are amazing songs. By contrast Jeremy was just awesome. Everyone seemed pumped for that and the singing was the best all night.  But I wouldn’t want that every night either. Didn’t help that DTE had like a full minute missing from the beginning so they messed it up quite a bit!

Momentum was great going into RVM and then they stopped awkwardly to check on the crowd.  Honestly they should have just gone to encore right there since it was a reasonable place to stop the song.  Starting it up for the last 30 seconds was … eh… we all just stood around.  Then another interruption in just breathe.  

I enjoy the slow encore starts and liked song of good hope. It would be cooler though if it was slow full band starts (hard to imagine or parting ways starts etc would be lovely).  The transition from folksy sit down to blood was jarring though .  Encore in general felt up and down.  Energy then went all the way back down to zero for setting sun and ramped all the way back up for SOLAT.  That combined with the stoppages and encore break made the second half of the show feel a little whiplashy.  

RiTFW is always fun but agree with someone else on wishing it would be more rare.  Fucking up is just as great.  Also wouldn’t mind PJ stuff (why go? life wasted? Leash?  Would love to hear all)

great first half.  Ok second half.  Very good show but not epic.  See y’all next tour!
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden I, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022), MSG I, Fenway 1 (2024)