*** New York, NY 2 Fanviews Here 9.4.24 ***

Comments

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,547
    edited September 7
    Get_Right said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    yosi said:
    Been thinking about it, but honestly, I’m thrilled with the two MSG shows. 52 songs, only seven repeats (4 from the new album they are touring!) Band sounded great. Not sure what else there is to say. 
    I agree. It’s just after that main set the thought of “what could’ve been” inevitably crept into my mind. And I legit was losing patience during the encore. I hate covers so it was a nightmare for me. But I would totally get if other people loved it. 

The grass is always greener. Sometimes they do add that one song or two and it feels a bit contrived or out of place. I kind of felt that way about Leash. At this point it is what it is. Starting on stools, slow encores etc. I loved that Patriot. I was hoping to hear Rats. Oh well. There is not one song on that list I did not enjoy.

It may be just a coincidence but Patriot (given all the other political tunes) had the feel of a personal response to the heckling Ed got about his political talk. I agree with Patriots message 100%, but just don’t love the tune. I don’t think Bruce covers it, and it’s weird that PJ plays it. Doesn’t feel at all like a PJ tune or that I am even at a PJ show when he sings it. To play a song because that artist is in the crowd, ok I get it, but it’s not a good policy for setlist construction. If it must be there, one of the other political tunes had to go and be replaced by a PJ banger at that point.

Now had they instead banged out Why Go at that slot, the place would have exploded, EXPLODED!, and all the talk of a lackluster encore here would not exist. Why Go has to be a top five crowd enthusiasm song, yet it did not make the MSG stage, while five covers N2 did. Strange decisions.

i appreciate Ed’s politics and how he stands up to the bizarre elements of American politics since 2015, but it’s a double edged sword. When he gets too into it, and uses either the D or R word (which he did) the Pearl Jam Live Show Magic loses its luster in that moment. Definitely took N2  down a peg. Still, great to see them twice in our hometown after so many years. Very Grateful.

• jrfiggjrfigg Posts: 92
    I was really hoping for Patriot in Eddie’s solo spot. I like the song, especially the way Eddie played it darker and harder back in 2003. I guess it worked out for me that little Steven was there!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,957
    Get_Right said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    yosi said:
    Been thinking about it, but honestly, I’m thrilled with the two MSG shows. 52 songs, only seven repeats (4 from the new album they are touring!) Band sounded great. Not sure what else there is to say. 
    I agree. It’s just after that main set the thought of “what could’ve been” inevitably crept into my mind. And I legit was losing patience during the encore. I hate covers so it was a nightmare for me. But I would totally get if other people loved it. 

The grass is always greener. Sometimes they do add that one song or two and it feels a bit contrived or out of place. I kind of felt that way about Leash. At this point it is what it is. Starting on stools, slow encores etc. I loved that Patriot. I was hoping to hear Rats. Oh well. There is not one song on that list I did not enjoy.

It may be just a coincidence but Patriot (given all the other political tunes) had the feel of a personal response to the heckling Ed got about his political talk. I agree with Patriots message 100%, but just don’t love the tune. I don’t think Bruce covers it, and it’s weird that PJ plays it. Doesn’t feel at all like a PJ tune or that I am even at a PJ show when he sings it. To play a song because that artist is in the crowd, ok I get it, but it’s not a good policy for setlist construction. If it must be there, one of the other political tunes had to go and be replaced by a PJ banger at that point.

Now had they instead banged out Why Go at that slot, the place would have exploded, EXPLODED!, and all the talk of a lackluster encore here would not exist. Why Go has to be a top five crowd enthusiasm song, yet it did not make the MSG stage, while five covers N2 did. Strange decisions.

i appreciate Ed’s politics and how he stands up to the bizarre elements of American politics since 2015, but it’s a double edged sword. When he gets too into it, and uses either the D or R word (which he did) the Pearl Jam Live Show Magic loses its luster in that moment. Definitely took N2  down a peg. Still, great to see them twice in our hometown after so many years. Very Grateful.

Took me back to the Ralph Nader rally. It was not a coincidence IMHO. Ed will always say something about the state of our country, for better or worse. I like when he chooses something different instead of playing another song from Ten. I enjoyed the show, but the sound was so bad where I was. I am surprised more people are not talking about that instead of the song choices.
    edited September 7
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    yosi said:

Took me back to the Ralph Nader rally. It was not a coincidence IMHO. Ed will always say something about the state of our country, for better or worse. I like when he chooses something different instead of playing another song from Ten. I enjoyed the show, but the sound was so bad where I was. I am surprised more people are not talking about that instead of the song choices.

I agree, to my ears when Dolan decided to put in the bridges, they destroyed the elite acoustics of the garden. 100% the sound is nowhere near as good there post renovation. No way.

If Ed cut one cover song, sure, but the political heaviness he created was unfortunate. Given the events in GA, and the overall insanity in the states since 2015,and a big event the first Tuesday in November , I understand why he wanted to sing Patriot. It was just too much given the construct of the post break setlist.

I agree that ten is played too much, but why go would have brought an epic feel to the show. If I had my choice, I would take anything from Yield over any cover, any day, any time. Chalk it up to another thing I don’t get about the band or the faithful. Which is cool.

Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    yosi said:

I agree, to my ears when Dolan decided to put in the bridges, they destroyed the elite acoustics of the garden. 100% the sound is nowhere near as good there post renovation. No way.

If Ed cut one cover song, sure, but the political heaviness he created was unfortunate. Given the events in GA, and the overall insanity in the states since 2015,and a big event the first Tuesday in November , I understand why he wanted to sing Patriot. It was just too much given the construct of the post break setlist.

I agree that ten is played too much, but why go would have brought an epic feel to the show. If I had my choice, I would take anything from Yield over any cover, any day, any time. Chalk it up to another thing I don’t get about the band or the faithful. Which is cool.

It is an election year. You know Ed will not be quiet about that with an audience. MSG is hit or miss. Sometimes the sound is amazing, sometimes not. And 100% agree that not enough songs from Yield, No Code, and Binaural are not played. We are nit picking. At the end of they day they still bring it, which is why we keep going.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,299
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    yosi said:

The thing about the political talk from Ed even if it connects with one fan at the show it’s worth it for him to say what’s on his mind! That happened to be my Daughter who was attending her 1st PJ show that message of women’s rights she felt he was talking directly to her and play Daughter was so on point she was overwhelmed with emotion! It made our night complete I’m not into nitpicking set lists anymore I enjoy what ever Ed puts down in paper! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    yosi said:

The thing about the political talk from Ed even if it connects with one fan at the show it’s worth it for him to say what’s on his mind! That happened to be my Daughter who was attending her 1st PJ show that message of women’s rights she felt he was talking directly to her and play Daughter was so on point she was overwhelmed with emotion! It made our night complete I’m not into nitpicking set lists anymore I enjoy what ever Ed puts down in paper! 

And that is exactly why he does it. One ear is all it takes. 
  • RD81760RD81760 Posts: 127
    MS4677 said:
    Was with my good buddy who is a casual fan and he had a blast!! For me, the show was really a mixed bag.  As crazy as it sounds, with the exception of Leash and Setting Sun, I feel that if I left the show after the first set I would feel more satisfied. As has been said by some,  the opening encore absolutely sucked the life out of the room. I've never been a fan of Sonic so it didn't necessarily "bring me back" and the rocking and yellow endings really need to be retired. Watt's passion, excitement, and enthusiasm saved it for me.
    First experience with "tier 2" seating having been a member since 97 and it is certainly a different experience for sure. Agree the sound wasn't great where I was but MSG isn't a place known for the best sound. Loved seeing my buddy having a blast but for me it wasn't a standout show. Subjective of course. 9/11 MSG was another level compared to last night in every facet. Very happy to see some members really loved the show especially those with their kids. 

Side note. I've lived in NY my whole life and I have rarely found MSG crowds to be that communal in my experience. Sometimes very enthusiastic yes. Many many corporate types who only attend so they can post a picture on social media that they were there. My highlight was meeting a Brazilian couple who lived in London and sharing show stories. Very cool, down to earth, and refreshing.  
    Couldnt agree more, the encore really was a 180 from the main set. Sonic is I saw it once and Im good, but seems to recur at MSG RITFW YL in the last 10 songs should be retired, and even Leash, its a novelty song IMO, also always comes back into the MSG setlists.. lots of other songs could have carried the engergy from the main set. Would have loved SOLAT, RM, SMILE, Footsteps etc.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,264
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    yosi said:

This is it exactly. Political speech is always gonna be divisive. One should expect part of the audience to boo or jeer - it's silly to get huffy about that. Those aren't the people he's trying to reach.
  • Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    yosi said:

Exactly!  His message followed by daughter also connected heavily for my daughter and I 
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,875
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    yosi said:

What political heaviness? Eddie was talking about voting for freedom and for human rights, nothing wrong with what he said. Pj has been political and sharing their thoughts for 33 plus years, not sure how anyone is shocked or even upset by it. It wasn’t too much, not at all. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,299
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    yosi said:

What political heaviness? Eddie was talking about voting for freedom and for human rights, nothing wrong with what he said. Pj has been political and sharing their thoughts for 33 plus years, not sure how anyone is shocked or even upset by it. It wasn’t too much, not at all. 
    On point! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • kosteva2kosteva2 Posts: 325

Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    yosi said:

Agree.
    Making a comment about gun laws before Glorified G on the day of (yet another) school shooting on point too
    TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22, MSG I,II '24, Philly I,II '24
    kosteva2 said:

Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    yosi said:

Agree.
    Making a comment about gun laws before Glorified G on the day of (yet another) school shooting on point too

I agree with the comments on  gun laws and women’s rights but he went too far because he specifically mentioned the “Republican” word in a derogatory manner which takes away from the magic of a PJ show …just a bit… and will get and did get boos….because that will divide. 

A basic rule of showmanship is do not knowingly insult your audience.

He knows that. If that meant adding Patriot or a couple other political songs, then it’s too bad for those of us that want to get Why Go or Faithfull or one or many of the other great Pearl Jam tunes we didn’t get at MSG. Still two wonderful shows.

And respectfully Jo, I believe you have a much better chance influencing your daughter’s politics than Ed. If he did, great, but he should have left it short of putting down Rs and influencing the setlist. Patriot should not stand up against any PJ classic at a PJ show, and if they were simply respecting their guest, then a different cover should have been pulled. And it seemed the band was also not too happy with the encore. It’s unfortunate democracy seems to not exist on that stage ;) They were definitely arguing about something. 

kosteva2 said:

Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    yosi said:

Agree.

I agree with the comments on  gun laws and women’s rights but he went too far because he specifically mentioned the “Republican” word in a derogatory manner which takes away from the magic of a PJ show …just a bit… and will get and did get boos….because that will divide. 

He knows that. If that meant adding Patriot or a couple other political songs, then it’s too bad for those of us that want to get Why Go or Faithfull or one or many of the other great Pearl Jam tunes we didn’t get at MSG. Still two wonderful shows.

And respectfully Jo, I believe you have a much better chance influencing your daughter’s politics than Ed. If he did, great, but he should have left it short of putting down Rs and influencing the setlist. Patriot should not stand up against any PJ classic at a PJ show, and if they were simply respecting their guest, then a different cover should have been pulled. And it seemed the band was also not too happy with the encore. It’s unfortunate democracy seems to not exist on that stage ;) They were definitely arguing about something. 

Haha. So they weren’t respecting their audience because they played a song they have played for 30 years with the original artist in the building? Cmon man. I think the R word here is ridiculous. 
    He has been saying that line for years. It is not like he broke out the Bush mask and the fancy suit.  :) 
  • seanwonseanwon Posts: 447

The last thing I need to hear is Why Go, Present Tense or SOLAT ever again.
    1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
    2024: 9/3 MSG 1, 9/4 MSG 2 , 9/15 Fenway 1, 9/17 Fenway 2
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,552
    Free speech....unless you are dumb enough to try it. (Know your rights).
    Speak truth everywhere .
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,434
    Amazing show and the band and crowd brought incredible energy all night. I thought the main set was awesome but up until leash that was about as dud of an encore as you can get. I can understand why the band was arguing about it as Ed mentioned. Still an unbelievable gig but that encore prevents it from going into the pantheon of the all time greats.
    kosteva2 said:

Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    yosi said:

Agree.

Haha. So they weren’t respecting their audience because they played a song they have played for 30 years with the original artist in the building? Cmon man. I think the R word here is ridiculous. 

Man BE, you certainly love to mix it up here. I'm not falling for that. If you re going to disrespect my comments,  at least be accurate. 

The discussion was about the leader of the band likely using his veto power in a visible disagreement with his band, to sidetrack a show that was heading towards epic status for his personal need to trash talk Republicans, and play a series of needless political tunes and covers to likely serve a personal political need. (There is no other need to play patriot, as its inferior to about 100 PJ tunes for PJ fans).

Given the construct of Philly1, seems this is what occurred MSG2. 
  • ceskaceska Posts: 1,115
    I thought there would be more love for Patriot. When I began collecting bootlegs in the late 1990s one of the first shows I got was Bridge School 1992 which has that song. So I've always considered it one of their quintessential covers.
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 15,028
    If Ed played Patriot and then the band came out and they played Pearl Jam songs it would have been fine.  Patriot is a good cover and probably very relevant to today.  The probable was the Just Breathe into the GH duet and then followed up by another cover.  The show flows better when Ed keeps it to one solo song. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,341
    on2legs said:
    If Ed played Patriot and then the band came out and they played Pearl Jam songs it would have been fine.  Patriot is a good cover and probably very relevant to today.  The probable was the Just Breathe into the GH duet and then followed up by another cover.  The show flows better when Ed keeps it to one solo song. 
    It’ll go down as one of the worst decisions he ever made for a setlist imo. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,415
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    Totally agree. I can see why the band argued about it.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    kosteva2 said:

Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    yosi said:

Agree.

Man BE, you certainly love to mix it up here. I'm not falling for that. If you re going to disrespect my comments,  at least be accurate. 

The discussion was about the leader of the band likely using his veto power in a visible disagreement with his band, to sidetrack a show that was heading towards epic status for his personal need to trash talk Republicans, and play a series of needless political tunes and covers to likely serve a personal political need. (There is no other need to play patriot, as its inferior to about 100 PJ tunes for PJ fans).

Dude, ur argument is silly.  Trump is going to lose regardless of what Eddie sang at their concert. I hope they play patriot at every remaining show pj does. It’s a great song and I love the part where he sings I only know one partyyyyy and it is freeeeeeeeedooooom.  No need to carry this on any more, ur views are not worth anymore replies from me. Just talk about the show. Did you like the poster? What did you think of the T shirt quality? 
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 15,028
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    Yup. And I think Ed knows it. I feel like the Philly setlist was his way of making up for it. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    Yup. And I think Ed knows it. I feel like the Philly setlist was his way of making up for it. 
    He better make up for it AGAIN tomorrow night hahah 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,796
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:

I do agree with you but I'd also throw out Arms Aloft in there. 
    kosteva2 said:

Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    yosi said:

Agree.

Dude, ur argument is silly.  Trump is going to lose regardless of what Eddie sang at their concert. I hope they play patriot at every remaining show pj does. It’s a great song and I love the part where he sings I only know one partyyyyy and it is freeeeeeeeedooooom.  No need to carry this on any more, ur views are not worth anymore replies from me. Just talk about the show. Did you like the poster? What did you think of the T shirt quality? 

I would not be so sure about that. Ed has been doing this for a long time. Voting, guns, violence, women's rights, etc. it always comes up one way or another. To go see Pearl Jam and not expect some kind of commentary from Ed, well then you may just be unfamiliar with how they do their shows.
    cutz said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:

I do agree with you but I'd also throw out Arms Aloft in there. 
    Agreed