*** New York, NY 2 Fanviews Here 9.4.24 ***

Comments

• jatimbojatimbo Posts: 98
    Every show I’ve been to I feel like PJ was reading my mind. I don’t know how they do that! Also, regarding crowd vibes, Ed would dumpster dive for anyone in there I’m sure and come up with an unopened bottle of their favorite beer, open it, hand it to them, and put a smile on their face and kind words on their lips!
    It would be nothing but the best fucking show ever!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,957
    Good sets, very happy with the band and the songs. Am I the only one that thought the sound was not great?  
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,796
    Probably my favorite show I've seen on this Tour and I've seen a few now. That First Set was terrific.  Encore was a little slow but overall I still enjoyed it.  Leash is always good and I haven't seen Sonic Reducer for quite sometime. 

The Train broke down at the Elizabeth Stop and now I'm in a Uber to Princeton, but thats not bringing me down at all after that show.
    Acoustics of a place can be a bitch sometimes for sure!
  • 4 or 5 virgins...and some Ketel One
    how about those Cubs... Anyways. I liked the show. I wasn't aware of the request for Glorified G but glad they played it. Leash was a highlight too, but the whole show was good. I loved hearing Not for You as well. I had a feeling it would a little longer than night one based on Ed talking about the 50th show thing. And I couldn't stop thinking "Silvio Dante" when they brought Steven Van Zandt on stage.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • A typical night 2 at MSG - starts like a ‘67 Mustang out the garage and turns into a VW camper filled with weirdo guests and random songs by the end. 

Always a fun night and overall vibe - unforgettable for sure but never the greatest show you’ve ever seen.

Added note: Andrew Wyatt blew the place up with his playing on Stevie - Mike looked lost for a bit. It was great and very weird at the same time. 

"Hey, listen asshole, one more fucker throws a fuckin' quarter up here and we're outta here, I'm tellin' ya, FUCKER! What the fuck, you're blowin' it for fuckin' everybody. Hit me with a fuckin' quarter again and, fuck it, I'm outta here. We're all outta here. Fuck you, and if anyone sees someone throw fuckin' change right next to them, you have my permission to beat the fuckin' holy shit outta them."
  • Do do do do do do do....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 15,028
    The first set was flawless and topped night one with all the great songs.  But as others said… the encore let all the energy out of the building.  I’m generally not a big fan of Ed coming out solo for the encores.  I really feel like we’re all here to see Pearl Jam and it feels like the rest of the team is missing when they’re not out there.  Now maybe the rest of the band is fine with it so I guess it’s fine but I really wish he had just played Patriot and then brought the rest of the band out.  The Just Breathe and Glen Hansard duet really put people to sleep.  They were well done but it seriously took us off the track of what was shaping up to be an all time show.  And then to do another cover with Know Your Rights with the band was an odd choice.   I get the need for shorter shows these days and I’m fine with it. But I would prefer the covers be left to a minimum if we have fewer songs each night.  The rest of the encore pumped the room back up and we left really happy.  The encore was a minor bump in the road and I’m so happy to have been back in NYC for another show especially after all the time missed due to Covid. Overall I really liked the show but I’m left with a little bit of a “what if” due to the encore.  Can’t wait for Philly and Baltimore!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• merlin401merlin401 Posts: 230
    I wonder if they shouldn’t go back to 2 encores because it was a great format (set, slow start to encore 1 that builds to a big finish, then blast off for an epic encore 2).  This could still be accomplished with the shorter setlists, something like 14 songs, 6 songs, 5 songs 

I used to love those middle encores that had the slow start.  I was there yesterday not today so I can’t speak first hand but I get what people might be feeling that the slow encore start doesn’t allow enough time for the high energy finish when there is only one 
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden I, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022), MSG I, Fenway 1 (2024)
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,246
    The friend who requested Glorified G was Howard Stern. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,415
    The friend who requested Glorified G was Howard Stern. 
    And was in the crowd last night.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,552
    Full band should be standard. Ed solo there is no point in an encore they are all fit enough 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,299
    on2legs said:
    The first set was flawless and topped night one with all the great songs.  But as others said… the encore let all the energy out of the building.  I’m generally not a big fan of Ed coming out solo for the encores.  I really feel like we’re all here to see Pearl Jam and it feels like the rest of the team is missing when they’re not out there.  Now maybe the rest of the band is fine with it so I guess it’s fine but I really wish he had just played Patriot and then brought the rest of the band out.  The Just Breathe and Glen Hansard duet really put people to sleep.  They were well done but it seriously took us off the track of what was shaping up to be an all time show.  And then to do another cover with Know Your Rights with the band was an odd choice.   I get the need for shorter shows these days and I’m fine with it. But I would prefer the covers be left to a minimum if we have fewer songs each night.  The rest of the encore pumped the room back up and we left really happy.  The encore was a minor bump in the road and I’m so happy to have been back in NYC for another show especially after all the time missed due to Covid. Overall I really liked the show but I’m left with a little bit of a “what if” due to the encore.  Can’t wait for Philly and Baltimore!
    It was John Lennon’s Give me some truth not Know your Rights which is a Clash classic! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • merlin401merlin401 Posts: 230
    edited September 5
    Full band should be standard. Ed solo there is no point in an encore they are all fit enough 
    Or if the band needs a rest have the full band do a 2-3 song sit down where you could even throw some strings back there if you like 
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden I, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022), MSG I, Fenway 1 (2024)
  • dgaterdgater Posts: 54
    Had a blast night night, that opening set was FIRE! This was my first Dark Matter show and I really enjoyed hearing those songs live (esp Dark Matter and Stevie). I thought Ed sounded great and the band was tight. Highlights for me were Not For You, Gloried G and Leash. Like others, I thought the Encore started flat and had too many covers, but did have an awesome finish. The screens were nice as I was on the floor towards the back so hard to see stage and they provided a way to experience more than the backs of heads! Looking forward to Philly (hoping to upgrade to GA)!
  • That was probably my favorite “Garden” in person besides 9/11/22. Encore was deflating until Leash. Also, a decent amount of repeats…even from 2022. But 27 FULL songs, great energy in the stands, and Eddie sounded great on a back to back. If Animal was played right after Hail Hail, MSG would have needed a rebuild. 
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 15,028
    Agreed.  They’re a band.  It’s not Ed and The Earthlings.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• tusevuntusevun Posts: 231
    Get_Right said:
    Good sets, very happy with the band and the songs. Am I the only one that thought the sound was not great?  
    I thought the sound where I was was terrible. 
  • On paper this set seems solid, and expectations must have been so high after the first set, hence the apparent disappointment of some from the start of the encore. 

But I would have flown in just for Sonic Reducer (no love for it here it seems). Seems it’s played at 50% of the NYC shows, and I’m fine with that (was amazing in 2022). 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Daron OshayDaron Oshay Posts: 2,551
    On paper this set seems solid, and expectations must have been so high after the first set, hence the apparent disappointment of some from the start of the encore. 

But I would have flown in just for Sonic Reducer (no love for it here it seems). Seems it’s played at 50% of the NYC shows, and I’m fine with that (was amazing in 2022). 
    Thought this was the best version of that I ever saw 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,415
    edited September 5
    The main set was straight fire, absolutely no complaints.  Stevie and RVM were highlights for me, Watt brought both of those songs to a new level.  Encore was definitely a bit slow but perhaps the band needed a break?  Patriots was awesome, just breathe was great (I know I know), the Glen duet was pretty but man did it suck the life out of the building.  At that point give us something to bring us back but no we went with gimme some truth.  
    Definitely a sensational night, a million times better than night one.  Best show for me in a long long time.  
    I'm glad to be done with nyc, took an hour to get thru the Lincoln Tunnel last night.

See everyone in Philly!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • JenfarrJenfarr Posts: 677
    Not sure if it has been mentioned, but that shout out to Andrew Greenhall is member here Bathgate66!  It shows he hasn't been active since Dec. 2023, I know he had a kidney replacement years ago and don't know how he is doing currently as he isn't too active on SM.  But it was nice of Ed to mention him!
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,703
    I'm surprised that we still haven't heard Got to Give again...played once (May 6th) 

I was really hoping for it at Wrigley and it was clearly skipped at MSGx2. I don't get it. Great song.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • jrfiggjrfigg Posts: 92
    Show lucky number 7 for me and what a night. Main set was on fire. Garden was a great opener, hail hail is a personal favorite, glad to add won’t tell and Stevie to the seen list. My friend said he hoped to hear Glorified, and then Eddie said there was a request from a friend and played it. I had randomly hoped to hear Eddie play I am a Patriot for his encore song and got it! I think enough has been said about how the next two slow encore songs played for the room, but then they brought us home and DROPPED THE LEASH! That one was at the top of my wish list and I went bonkers in the pit when I heard those first notes hit. 

It looked like Stone was really feeling it tonight. It was cool getting to see Watt play with them, and then RITFW with the whole gang plus Little Steven was a treat. And maybe it was all the gummies but seeing someone vacuum the stage before PJ came on was hilarious to me. All in all it’s going to be hard for any show to top this experience for me. Thank you Pearl Jam!
  • SoybeansSoybeans Posts: 256
    edited September 5
    I've been to over 100 shows.  This was a top tier show.  Opening with Garden, then giving us some real highlights.  Hail, Hail was amazing, I am mine, Glorified G, Sonic Reducer, LEASH!! (P*ssies no more!).

The guests were great.  Amazing to see E Street royalty, Lil Stevie in the house. Ed's cover of Stevie's "I Am a Patriot" is always a treat. 

Andrew Watt was great too. You can see he is really a fan and quasi member of the band.  His solos were wild and energetic.  Shear joy on his face the whole time. Much love for what he did for this band. It felt great to cheer for Andrew. He deserves his moment.  

As for the political stuff, it was somewhat reminiscent of Long Island back in 2003 when Ed sparred with the George W Bush faithful during Bush Leaguer. Those same people that now despise George W., have grown up to be full blown Maga cultists. On the floor, last night,  I only heard a smattering of disdain from the cultists, but Ed pushed through.  Proud of my guy,  and my band.  

Also, great to see Theo Epstein rocking throughout the show and Danny Clinch hunting like a shark for the perfect shot, all night. 
    Post edited by Soybeans on
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,394
    Jenfarr said:
    Not sure if it has been mentioned, but that shout out to Andrew Greenhall is member here Bathgate66!  It shows he hasn't been active since Dec. 2023, I know he had a kidney replacement years ago and don't know how he is doing currently as he isn't too active on SM.  But it was nice of Ed to mention him!
    Hey I remember Bathgate66! So cool he got a shout out!
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Jenfarr said:
    Great point. Shout out Andrew
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,257
    edited September 11
    Jenfarr said:
    That was very cool. I went to one of the 2008 shows with him and interacted with on the massive New York Rangers thread on here that still exists somewhere.
    Post edited by xavier mcdaniel on
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Jenfarr said:
    That was very cool. I went to one of the 2008 shows with and interacted with on the massive New York Rangers thread on here that still exists somewhere.
    Hope you had a great show man! Let’s Go Rangers