*** Chicago, IL 2 Fanviews Here 8.31.24 ***

Comments

• SM10080SM10080 Posts: 239
    SM10080 said:
    Show #19 for me. Funky show and lots of fun from the pit. RVM was pretty epic - one of the best I’ve heard. Band is playing solidly and Mike has been on fire the last 2 nights. The new songs sound surprisingly good and the guys look like they’re having a blast playing them. 

I’m feel like entering that phase of my PJ concert era where I can’t expect too many firsts anymore. Would’ve loved Oceans (to finish up Ten for me) and Love Boat Captain (because that’s a goddam gorgeous beautiful song). But you can’t win ‘em all. Either way - super grateful for an awesome night.

Just happy to have been able to attend all 4 Chicago shows in the last year. Glad this band is still touring and grateful to hear them still kill it every night. 
    Oh, you’ve seen throw your arms and the full little wing?  You don’t even understand what you saw.  That show is going to be referenced for a long time as an all-timer.  And love boat captain sucks.  
    To each his own, friend. I love LBC, but you don't have to.
    And yes - I've seen both. Throw Your arms last year at United Center, and Little Wing in Philly 09 at the Spectrum.
    And Throw Your Arms was the first dance at my wedding, so it's not a song I take lightly.

Was a great show and I'm not complaining. But I still have my own personal wishlist which is... personal.

Glad you loved the show!
    Ok, my bad.  If you had throw your arms as your wedding song, I digress.  I’m not joking—I tip my hat to you.  That’s top drawer.   
  • whoyouare72whoyouare72 Posts: 2,146

• cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 238
    This was my 22nd show, and my first of the Dark Matter era. Had seats in section M, row 18 on the field.

I happened to have an awesome day hanging out with friends, so probably entered the venue on a high note and had a positive bias going in, but I would say the night is probably top three for me (along with Seattle 2 2018 and Spectrum 3 2009; tonight was better than Chicago 1 last year). It was shorter than other shows in the aughts and 2010s, but other than Wreckage (not the best live song) everything was outstanding. In every show I have been to since 2000 I would say there has been some fat that could have been cut, but tonight the only thing I would have dropped is Wreckage. Very little talk from Eddie - not saying that’s good or bad, it just happened to be minimal compared to the other post Covid shows I have been to. Also, we got to see Stone get down on one knee to propose to Jeff after Eddie said they have been playing together for 40 years!

Garden - Porch - Wishlist has to be one of the better openings. To prove this isn’t just all fluff, I will say that Come Back isn’t my favorite song, but I get why others are attached to it. In Hiding, Betterman, RVM were all phenomenal in the main set, but again, everything else was solid.

Before the first encore, my friend who I brought (his second show) asked about the likelihood of them playing Throw Your Arms Around Me. I told him not great, and then looked it up and saw it had been played at 4% of shows…and then Eddie proceeded to play it. Falling Slowly was tremendous, and when Eddie introduced Jeff on guitar, I started screaming for Smile.

Two other random things - either Laura Linney or someone who looked just like her gave me a high five while walking towards the concourse on right field, field level side during Baba and Little Wing was unexpected and crazy good. Also, this was my first time seeing them this tour/with the big screens, and I really liked it.

Went to Sluggers after to have a beer while traffic cleared, and it was full of fans singing at the top of their lungs. Cannot wait to see them in NY on Tuesday and in Baltimore in a couple of weeks!
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimore; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY; 23-St Paul1&2, Chicago1; 24-Chicago2, NY1, Baltimore
  • tylermooretylermoore Posts: 921
    Daner90 said:
    Thursday was great but tonight was a AAA show. The buzz in Wrigleyville leading up to the concert was abundant and the boys did not disappoint. The energy on stage was matched by the crowd and tonight was one big party. So happy to be a part of such a great evening and meet so many amazing pearl jammers around the city over the last few days. Not back to reality
    My baseball brain, and then playing Wrigley, at first I thought the AAA comment was going to be negative. Like AAA the minor leagues 😅
    Out of my 3 shows this leg, this was by far my favorite. The start was something crazy, and I would be happy with an Alive, Baba, Yellow Wing closer any night. Thought maybe they’d throw I’ve got a feeling in there too and just end with a few covers. Wish they’d hug that curfew a little closer too. Great night! Now they gotta get outta here so I can watch my mediocre baseball team again on Monday. Quick turnaround for the Wrigley crew 
  • SM10080 said:
    Show #19 for me. Funky show and lots of fun from the pit. RVM was pretty epic - one of the best I’ve heard. Band is playing solidly and Mike has been on fire the last 2 nights. The new songs sound surprisingly good and the guys look like they’re having a blast playing them. 

I’m feel like entering that phase of my PJ concert era where I can’t expect too many firsts anymore. Would’ve loved Oceans (to finish up Ten for me) and Love Boat Captain (because that’s a goddam gorgeous beautiful song). But you can’t win ‘em all. Either way - super grateful for an awesome night.

Just happy to have been able to attend all 4 Chicago shows in the last year. Glad this band is still touring and grateful to hear them still kill it every night. 
    Oh, you’ve seen throw your arms and the full little wing?  You don’t even understand what you saw.  That show is going to be referenced for a long time as an all-timer.  And love boat captain sucks.  
    To each his own, friend. I love LBC, but you don't have to.
    And yes - I've seen both. Throw Your arms last year at United Center, and Little Wing in Philly 09 at the Spectrum.
    And Throw Your Arms was the first dance at my wedding, so it's not a song I take lightly.

Was a great show and I'm not complaining. But I still have my own personal wishlist which is... personal.

Glad you loved the show!
    Very respectful response.  I like your vibe homie!
    and love, what a different life had I not had this love with you.
  • pjman75pjman75 Posts: 849
    cbbjr said:
    This was my 22nd show, and my first of the Dark Matter era. Had seats in section M, row 18 on the field.

I happened to have an awesome day hanging out with friends, so probably entered the venue on a high note and had a positive bias going in, but I would say the night is probably top three for me (along with Seattle 2 2018 and Spectrum 3 2009; tonight was better than Chicago 1 last year). It was shorter than other shows in the aughts and 2010s, but other than Wreckage (not the best live song) everything was outstanding. In every show I have been to since 2000 I would say there has been some fat that could have been cut, but tonight the only thing I would have dropped is Wreckage. Very little talk from Eddie - not saying that’s good or bad, it just happened to be minimal compared to the other post Covid shows I have been to. Also, we got to see Stone get down on one knee to propose to Jeff after Eddie said they have been playing together for 40 years!

Garden - Porch - Wishlist has to be one of the better openings. To prove this isn’t just all fluff, I will say that Come Back isn’t my favorite song, but I get why others are attached to it. In Hiding, Betterman, RVM were all phenomenal in the main set, but again, everything else was solid.

Before the first encore, my friend who I brought (his second show) asked about the likelihood of them playing Throw Your Arms Around Me. I told him not great, and then looked it up and saw it had been played at 4% of shows…and then Eddie proceeded to play it. Falling Slowly was tremendous, and when Eddie introduced Jeff on guitar, I started screaming for Smile.

Two other random things - either Laura Linney or someone who looked just like her gave me a high five while walking towards the concourse on right field, field level side during Baba and Little Wing was unexpected and crazy good. Also, this was my first time seeing them this tour/with the big screens, and I really liked it.

Went to Sluggers after to have a beer while traffic cleared, and it was full of fans singing at the top of their lungs. Cannot wait to see them in NY on Tuesday and in Baltimore in a couple of weeks!
    M 18 was a blast tonight!! So glad you enjoyed it too :)
    I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.

8/17/98 Noblesville, 8/18/00 Noblesville, 6/5/03 San Diego, 6/22/03 Noblesville, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 5/7/10 Noblesville, 9/15/11 Hamilton, 11/21/12 Memphis (Ed w/ Glen), 7/19/13 Wrigley, 10/11/13 Pittsburgh, 10/01/14 Cincinnati, 10/03/14 Saint Louis, 4/16/16 Greenville, 4/26/16 Lexington, 5/1/16 NYC, 5/2/16 NYC, 8/20/16 Wrigley, 8/22/16 Wrigley (For Hank), 8/18/18 Wrigley, 8/20/18 Wrigley (For Hank), 9/18/22 Saint Louis, 9/5/23 Chicago, 9/7/23 Chicago
  • Best show ever. Worst show ever.
  • What exactly did Ed say in the encore about driving into the show, seeing everyone out and about... then dropped something like "we may never do this again" ?? hope he just means Wrigley! 
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,552
    He probably means anything can happen and nothing is guaranteed the longer you live the more people you lose and realise how precious every day is
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • MG182478MG182478 Posts: 35
    What exactly did Ed say in the encore about driving into the show, seeing everyone out and about... then dropped something like "we may never do this again" ?? hope he just means Wrigley! 
    I didn’t catch this, but he seemed extra grateful and emotional tonight. And then said something about “hoping” to see us again towards the end of the show. 

1994 : Cleveland
    1995 : Chicago
    1996 : Toronto, Buffalo
    1998 : East Troy x2, East Lansing, Auburn Hills, Pittsburgh, Cuyahoga Falls
    2000 : Columbus, Pittsburgh, Auburn Hills
    2003 : Cleveland
    2004 : Toledo
    2005 : Toronto
    2006 : Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati
    2010 : Cleveland
    2013 : Buffalo
    2014 : Detroit
    2016 : Tampa, Wrigley 
    2018 : Wrigley 
    2022 : Chicago (EV & The Earthlings)
    2023: Chicago 1
    2024: Vegas 1, Wrigley 2, MSG 2
  • I was in the pit and it was awesome… but to the guy who weaseled his way up to the 4th row and held up a giant camera above his head (sometimes two lol) the entire show, you’re a giant tool… hope you enjoyed watching the show through all 3 of your screens
    Wrigley 7/19/2013
    Philadelphia 10/22/2013
    Baltimore 10/27/2013
    Hampton 4/18/2016
    Ft. Worth 9/13/2023
    Ft. Worth 9/15/2023
    Wrigley 8/31/2024
    Baltimore 9/12/2024
    Fenway 9/15/2024
  • The band sounded great and you can always tell Eddie is genuinely happy to be in Chicago. First three songs were incredible and porch in the two spot was in real. Come back is my favorite from ST, but it felt out of place. Energy was crazy up to that point…..

6 songs from DM was great to hear, but a bit too much perhaps. Upper hand sounded phenomenal but it didn’t get the crowd response it should have. 

Song choice was great last night, but something just didn’t click. I love Eddie stories as much as the next guy, but the show just seemed to choppy. 

Also the amount of middle aged people, men and women I saw that were so drunk they could barely walk was embarrassing. If you’re in your late 40’s or early 50’s like a lot of us are do you really need to get so drunk you’re barely coherent? Yikes
  • The band sounded great and you can always tell Eddie is genuinely happy to be in Chicago. First three songs were incredible and porch in the two spot was in real. Come back is my favorite from ST, but it felt out of place. Energy was crazy up to that point…..

6 songs from DM was great to hear, but a bit too much perhaps. Upper hand sounded phenomenal but it didn’t get the crowd response it should have. 

Song choice was great last night, but something just didn’t click. I love Eddie stories as much as the next guy, but the show just seemed to choppy. 

Also the amount of middle aged people, men and women I saw that were so drunk they could barely walk was embarrassing. If you’re in your late 40’s or early 50’s like a lot of us are do you really need to get so drunk you’re barely coherent? Yikes
    I agree, energy seemed to get killed as it got going a few times during the set. First 2 songs were the highlight for me. Great show as always though 
    Wrigley 7/19/2013
    Philadelphia 10/22/2013
    Baltimore 10/27/2013
    Hampton 4/18/2016
    Ft. Worth 9/13/2023
    Ft. Worth 9/15/2023
    Wrigley 8/31/2024
    Baltimore 9/12/2024
    Fenway 9/15/2024
  • He probably means anything can happen and nothing is guaranteed the longer you live the more people you lose and realise how precious every day is
    He said “we probably won’t get to play here again” at Hyde Park a couple of years ago too, I didn’t take it to mean they wouldn’t want to, just that time and chance happen to us all.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,341
    The band sounded great and you can always tell Eddie is genuinely happy to be in Chicago. First three songs were incredible and porch in the two spot was in real. Come back is my favorite from ST, but it felt out of place. Energy was crazy up to that point…..

That last paragraph is what has kept me away from concerts the last year or so. I have zero patience for those types. I’m too old to have to throw idiots around and protect my wife from them. Spilling their drinks, acting belligerent, I hate them. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,264
    What exactly did Ed say in the encore about driving into the show, seeing everyone out and about... then dropped something like "we may never do this again" ?? hope he just means Wrigley! 
    Probably referring to Wrigley. The ballpark/Missoula merch that has all the years makes me think this will be the last round for the foreseeable future. These parks anyway.
  • RyanRyan Posts: 1,104
    pjl44 said:
    Probably referring to Wrigley. The ballpark/Missoula merch that has all the years makes me think this will be the last round for the foreseeable future. These parks anyway.
    They also did shirts in 2018 for Seattle, Chicago and Boston that had all the dates/shows in those cities, and they’ve played there since.  I wouldn’t read anything into the merch. 
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • crober72crober72 Posts: 86
    pjl44 said:
    I caught this, too...Ed seemed to be a little more emotional both nights but especially last night. Like the rest of you, I suspect/hope that he's just talking about Wrigley. After 7 shows, I want to say that after 7 shows, the whole Wrigley thing has kind of run its course....but think I think about how much better these shows were than than the 2 at the UC last September (at least in my opinion) and wonder if even I believe what I'm saying. 

If these were the last two shows they'll play at Wrigley, then I feel like they went out on a high note.
  • charles.charles. Posts: 26
    Show #23 for me... appropriately in Chicago. Like the all time greats, sometimes the highlights aren't exotic, but at the end of the night, you take a look at the numbers and realize just how many points were scored in the process of a win.... Garden opener with Porch at #2...Come Back... In Hiding... Not For You... thought for sure Better Man was closing the main set and then got hit with RVM in a frenetic release of energy... EV solo and with Glenn to start the encore sounded magnificent... Smile... a Jeremy singalong and Baba O with a Yellow Wing closer... the new stuff sounded excellent and Setting Sun is a gorgeous song... the water was deep enough for newer folks to hear some gems, and the vets got to swim around at the sand bar and have some fun... all in all it is always a great thing to see a band you've listened to since you were 11 (now 44) in a new city amongst the faithful... 
    Witness to the Full Thrown Magic:
    9.28.96 Randall's Island NYC
    7.14.03 Holmdel NJ
    9.30.05 Atlantic City NJ
    6.1.06 East Rutherford NJ 6.3.06 East Rutherford NJ
    6.24.08 MSG NYC 6.25.08 MSG NYC
    10.30.09 Philly Spectrum III
    5.21.10 MSG NYC
    10.18.2013 BRKLYN 10.19.2013 BRKLYN
    10.1.2014 Cincinnati OH
    5.28.2016 Philly 5.29.2016 Philly 5.1.2016 MSG NYC 5.2.2016 MSG NYC 8.5.2016 Fenway I 8.7.2016 Fenway II
    9.2.2018 Fenway I
    Witness to the Magic in Other Manifestations:
    3.23.11 Tres Mts. Philly 6.21.11 EV NYC 6.22.11 EV NYC 11.7.16 Temple Of The Dog MSG NYC
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    edited September 1
    Just an old man knowing that the future isn't guaranteed and living like it could be the last. It was 6 years since the last time they played Wrigley, where are they going to be 6 years from now? He'll be 65! Then again, I saw Bruce last year at Wrigley and he was 73, and these guys are still going strong. I don't think it'll be the last, at least not by choice, but you just don't know.
    Also, it was clearly a lead-in to Throw Your Arms.
    Post edited by mattcoz on
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    edited September 1
    It was so nice to hear no politcal shit (especially during an election year and the DNC being in Chicago), and for his talking, which seemed way less than normal than a Chicago show usually gets, was so rooted in the songs and their origins.  Glen's VOTE hat was perfect, all that was needed.
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,765
    No. 34 for me. Would have liked a few rarities but they sounded great. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • SteffyLouSteffyLou Posts: 370
    Numbers 15 and 16 for me. Hometown shows. While I haven’t seen as many as others, I’ve been fortunate and was at the right places at the right times and saw the Yield, No Code, and Vs full album shows. I’ve amazingly finished Ten as well and one song away from two other albums. Basically, I know I’m a lucky one. 

I personally liked the setlist for Thursday better, but overall, I thought the crowd atmosphere and honestly the weather, made Saturday a better show. Never thought I would count the weather as a factor but it was so damn humid and the allergies in Chicago were awful, along with the amount of issues in the pit Thursday between Glen and Pj just set me on edge. Jeez you can tell I’m getting older as these things weighed so much on me. 😆 

Reading what others said, yeah I too thought Ed was more emotional and thankful at this show. But I also think the Dark Album in general feels the exact same way; thankful for what they have but recognizing we are closer to the end than the beginning. Pair that with the fact that they keep losing loved ones that it makes sense for him to be more retrospective. I mean, for those of us who have been with them since the beginning, aren’t we all? 

With that being said all I hoped to hear was Release and Garden and got that over the two nights. I’m a much bigger fan of the new album after hearing it live and thought Falling Slowly was absolutely beautiful. 
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    Full little wing was great, and I am not a big cover person.
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    edited September 1
    nicknyr15 said:
    The band sounded great and you can always tell Eddie is genuinely happy to be in Chicago. First three songs were incredible and porch in the two spot was in real. Come back is my favorite from ST, but it felt out of place. Energy was crazy up to that point…..

That last paragraph is what has kept me away from concerts the last year or so. I have zero patience for those types. I’m too old to have to throw idiots around and protect my wife from them. Spilling their drinks, acting belligerent, I hate them. 
    Agree.  I haven’t been drunk since 12th grade.  We were on the field and had one of these asses right beside us night one.  Guess who’s beside us Saturday….and more drunk than Thursday.  We left and stood up in the back and it was soooooo much better.  It was a shame though  because we were all the same type of fans sitting together both nights, there for the music.  Idiot kept yelling “fuck yeah!”  And singing all the wrong versus.  🤮

why do some people act like they haven’t been out since college?  Such a waste.  
    Post edited by cblock4life on
    Oh here’s a good one…..I got urinated on in Pittsburgh and got my crotch grabbed (no not trump) in Atlanta by a girl trying to stop from falling over due to overindulgence.  
  • BC657749BC657749 Posts: 10
    Wow, a lot of varying opinions on this show! I get it, I'm kinda in the middle. I enjoy the deep cuts, and there just weren't very many. Garden and Porch to open was phenomenal. I'm not a fan of the song so I may be biased, but following those with Wishlist seemed like a bit of a buzzkill. I really dig the new record, so I was probably happier than most to hear those songs, especially Upper Hand. Loved having Glen out there for Falling Slowly and Smile. All in all a solid show though. Not an all timer for me, but the band was in top form like usual, and even if you've heard them a million times it's still fun to sing along with all the hits with everyone in the crowd. 
    8/23/09 - Chicago; 8/24/09 - Chicago; 9/21/09 - Seattle; 9/22/09 - Seattle; 9/25/09 - Vancouver; 5/03/10 - Kansas City; 5/04/10 - St. Louis; 10/03/14 - St. Louis; 4/26/16 - Lexington; 8/22/16 - Chicago; 8/18/18 - Chicago; 8/20/18 - Chicago; 4/2/20 - Nashville; 4/4/20 - St. Louis
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,341
    nicknyr15 said:

Agree.  I haven’t been drunk since 12th grade.  We were on the field and had one of these asses right beside us night one.  Guess who’s beside us Saturday….and more drunk than Thursday.  We left and stood up in the back and it was soooooo much better.  It was a shame though  because we were all the same type of fans sitting together both nights, there for the music.  Idiot kept yelling “fuck yeah!”  And singing all the wrong versus.  🤮

It’s brutal honestly. I have zero patience for these types especially around my wife. I have to be on guard the whole time instead of being able to just enjoy the show. It’s the worst feeling. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,703
    We stayed at Broadway and Roscoe... After the show I popped into a Chinese takeout joint and was waiting on the order. This couple came in that were plastered... The guy stumbled around and when the lady (a nice clearly Chinese lady) asked for his order he says "we'll just get the beef tacos to go". It was hilarious watching his confusion. The menu board directly behind her was the standard Chinese menu. Fucking moron 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    edited September 1
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

It’s brutal honestly. I have zero patience for these types especially around my wife. I have to be on guard the whole time instead of being able to just enjoy the show. It’s the worst feeling. 
    Yep my husband’s the same way!  He’s not tall but he’s in great shape and knows how to subdue convicts so a drunk, no matter how big, is gonna go down in minutes.  But why get thrown out for some ass?  And possibly go to jail?  The field was great cause you went in private entrance, got a wrist band, got directed to the field and you were free to roam to get away from the goofs.  Definitely recommend the field if it’s always that way.  Even reserved seating doesn’t give you much room anywhere.  

Seriously such a classy group of fellows and wonderful organization. 

I get Ed’s melancholy….PJ always makes me emotional especially as you’re driving away from the city you’re in at that time.  His feelings are so normal for his age.  You start to realize you really aren’t invincible, but for real this time
    Post edited by cblock4life on