Kamala Harris VEEP Pick

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,299
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,360
    Josh Shapiro
    Vance certainly was full of shit a lot, but I really still do not see what people like about Walz.  Such a weird pick in an important election.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,856
    edited October 2
    Josh Shapiro
    He’s incredibly affable and seems like a decent empathetic human who’s had normal life experiences before turning to politics. He’s probably the most relatable politician on the National stage. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    Josh Shapiro
    I mean, every election people talk about the candidate you’d have a beer with. Like, he is THAT dude. Just normcore as fuck (outside of running a US state)
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,227
    He’s incredibly Affable and seems like a decent empathetic human who’s had normal life experiences before turning to politics. He’s probably the most relatable politician on the National stage. 
    Agreed, & it's very refreshing after the last 8 years. 
    edited October 2
    Josh Shapiro
    Trump is exhausting after 10 years of him being a known political quantity. I think both sides, people don’t want to be exhausted anymore. I get why he was the pick. He’s just normal and has that Dad energy. He’s not exhausting. You can be “hey man thanks so much”, or “whatever dad” and go about your life. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,703
    Josh Shapiro

This was an odd exchange for sure. Immediately after saying he's "focused on the future" he asks a question (a stupid one) about four years ago.

Vance did well. His strategy was clearly to poke at Harris instead of be a rabid dog. But I think he lost all he gained right here.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    Josh Shapiro
    I mean, every election people talk about the candidate you’d have a beer with. Like, he is THAT dude. Just normcore as fuck (outside of running a US state)
    And the same people that used to make fun of that around these parts are all for it now.  He is not a very good candidate.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,856
    "I've become friends with school shooters" is a sentence you wouldn't expect to hear from a person.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Josh Shapiro
    It is crazy to me that people care more about 1 gaffe than any substance or policy.  Now, if the gaffes continue (like Biden), then you start to worry about a person.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    Josh Shapiro
    In my reassessing the situation, Kamala clear should have picked Pete.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    Josh Shapiro
    And the same people that used to make fun of that around these parts are all for it now.  He is not a very good candidate.
    I think people made fun of it because NONE of the people would be nice to have a beer with. This dude seems like your neighbor. 
    Josh Shapiro

I mean, yeah Pete is a better communicator. Shapiro may have helped more in PA. I didn’t see what’s wrong with pick a dude who is Midwest as hell. He’s closer to the median voter than Pete or Josh or any other VP candidate name tossed about. 
    Josh Shapiro
    He’s a dude who won a congressional seat in a highly red district. I’d say if he can appeal to that, he’s a very good candidate 
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,108
    Gretchen Whitmer
    What cohort would Pete have helped secure that are at risk of being swayed towards Trump? With Tim Walz, I suspect it’s suburbs and rural America in some regions.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • In my reassessing the situation, Kamala clear should have picked Pete.  
    if everyone voting were a reasonable non-bigot, yes, he'd be fantastic. but too many people would never vote a black woman and gay man. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,227
    if everyone voting were a reasonable non-bigot, yes, he'd be fantastic. but too many people would never vote a black woman and gay man. 
    Agreed. 
    edited October 2
    Josh Shapiro
    People need to remember the VP only hurts the candidate. Never helps. Waltz doesn't hurt Harris. He has the highest likability of ALL the candidates on the ballot.

Josh Shapiro
    yeah I'm not sure this country is ready for a homosexual potus and/or vpotus...unfortunately

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,709
    Josh Shapiro

This was an odd exchange for sure. Immediately after saying he's "focused on the future" he asks a question (a stupid one) about four years ago.

Vance did well. His strategy was clearly to poke at Harris instead of be a rabid dog. But I think he lost all he gained right here.
    Someone I follow on twitter compared this to giving up a grand slam in the 9th after pitching a 2 hit shutout through 8. 

All of the lies aside (that Walz should have done a better job of calling him out on), Vance did well acting like a normal politician, but you lose this debate if you cannot admit Trump lost in 2020. Also this will likely be the only real clip that stands out from last night. 

I wonder if all the news about Vance performing better than Trump will eat at Trump's ego and force him into attending the next debate...
    www.myspace.com
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,299

Someone I follow on twitter compared this to giving up a grand slam in the 9th after pitching a 2 hit shutout through 8. 

All of the lies aside (that Walz should have done a better job of calling him out on), Vance did well acting like a normal politician, but you lose this debate if you cannot admit Trump lost in 2020. Also this will likely be the only real clip that stands out from last night. 

I wonder if all the news about Vance performing better than Trump will eat at Trump's ego and force him into attending the next debate...
    That would be insane can you imagine trumpollini on another debate right before the election 😂 I’d love to see him go nuts 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    edited October 2
    Josh Shapiro
    If anything it forces the country to have a dialog about it for a few weeks and makes people have an opinion on it or at least draws the line in the sand. People who aren't ok with gayness were never gonna vote D anyway. 

Over 70% of Americans are fine with same sex marriage (so assume homosexuality too), it probably won’t be that big of an issue. 

My issue is Pete has Ivy League airs. CA lawyer + ivy leaguer who worked at think tanks, come across as elitist which Dems definitely have an issue with. 

He is still the best communicator for the admin and campaign. So he’s doing the job he needs to do anyway. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,547

No, Harris has slipped the last few days in the betting markets from 57 to 54% on the dollar. It’s insane how close this election is considering everything trump has done and how competent the Harris campaign has been, last night may have been its first slip. Very mediocre Walz performance and let Vance look reasonable and likable. Did not make the obvious policy attacks for the majority of the debate.
    Josh Shapiro
    Waltz was never a 'go in for the kill' guy. He was level and competent and thats all he needed to be. Vance came off better than hes been. 

this is the only valuable metric from the night of any importance.

Josh Shapiro

No, Harris has slipped the last few days in the betting markets from 57 to 54% on the dollar. It’s insane how close this election is considering everything trump has done and how competent the Harris campaign has been, last night may have been its first slip. Very mediocre Walz performance and let Vance look reasonable and likable. Did not make the obvious policy attacks for the majority of the debate.
    I wouldn't say he "let" Vance look reasonable. Vance definitely took that approach which was the best decision his dumbass campaign has made so far.

edited October 2
    Josh Shapiro

No what? He won't debate because his betting odds have improved a little bit  over the last couple days (due, likely, to a lot of right leaning polls coming out lately)? From 538 to Silver to the Economist etc etc etc....the race has hardly changed in the last month +. Harris remains a slight ( all around 55%) favorite to win.

Some good swing state polling for Harris this morning too...
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    Josh Shapiro
    I never put stock in the betting markets anyway. Its just driven peoples vibes. 

Josh Shapiro
    If anything, last night was bad for Trump personally, because it demonstrated just how normal politics can be, and that he is an outlier with his excessiveness and his rambling. 

edited October 2
    Josh Shapiro
    I never put stock in the betting markets anyway. Its just driven peoples vibes. 

They tend to swing wildly on a daily basis.Tim Simmons said:
    If anything, last night was bad for Trump personally, because it demonstrated just how normal politics can be, and that he is an outlier with his excessiveness and his rambling. 

One thing universally agreed on last night was how civil it was. It was a normal debate. I mentioned this the other day that this is what we can look forward to after Trump is defeated once and for all. 
    www.myspace.com
    Josh Shapiro
    I think the is the best take from last night.