** KAMALA HARRIS FOR PRESIDENT -PART DEUX **

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,549
    edited September 13
    This is how it’s done. 

Trump says he won’t tax overtime. Harris has copied some of his proposals before. Does anyone think she may copy this one as well? 

The response he would have got: 

We don’t know the full details though. This could impact social security depending on how the payroll tax would come into play. Hard to tell if it’s workable. 
    Post edited by Sea on
  • those peons working overtime need to pay their fair share!!!!

am i doing this right?
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • those peons working overtime need to pay their fair share!!!!

am i doing this right?
    at this point trump is just throwing anything at all at the wall to see what sticks. meanwhile we all know that he lied 30,000 times while president, so if he forgets this campaign promise it actually would not be that big of a surprise.

• SeaSea Posts: 3,002
    Please remember to discuss, disagree and debate politely. Discuss the topic, not the people discussing the topic. Thank you

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,397
    OnWis97 said:
    The more I see MAGA talking about eating cats and dogs the more likely I think there'll actually be a MAGA cat/dog eating scandal...Of course I could just be influenced by all of their other accusations (election stealing, pedophilia) that turn out to be confessions.
    Let's just hope a Haitian immigrant doesn't get killed by some crazed group of magats for something that hasn't happened. Very irresponsible of the trump team to push this bullshit. And he's doubling down on it...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    This is how it’s done. 

Trump says he won’t tax overtime. Harris has copied some of his proposals before. Does anyone think she may copy this one as well? 

We don’t know the full details though. This could impact social security depending on how the payroll tax would come into play. Hard to tell if it’s workable. 
    not taxing tips is a focus on lower income taxpayers...anytime the GOP is willing to cut taxes on the lower/middle class the dems will take it.

My opinion is that Harris jumped on this to hold the GOP feet to the fire if it is part of her tax bill. 

Not taxing overtime is ridiculous. The rules behind that trick would be impossible to follow.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,396
    Wouldn't companies just find a way to make anything over 40 hours be 1099'd or something?
    www.myspace.com
  • There's nothing conservative about "no taxes on tips," "free IVF for everyone!" "no taxes on overtime!" etc.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • njhaley1njhaley1 Posts: 553
    This is how it’s done. 

Not taxing overtime is ridiculous. The rules behind that trick would be impossible to follow.
    Maybe that's the point. We need yet another tax dodging loophole. 
    njhaley1 said:
    This is how it’s done. 

As a tax guy I cannot imagine the parameters placed on such a rule. Is there an income limit? Is that limit an overall limit or just on your W-2?

Would the non taxable OT be deductible by the business? How could an law firm bring in income...deduct wages paid to it's owners as OT and then not pay tax on it at the individual level. Just a ridiculous proposal.

mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Lindsey Flimsey Flip Flop Faloozy, as predicted:

Sen. Lindsey Graham (S.C.), a Republican who is close to Trump, said he is encouraging the former president to do another debate, in part because he thinks Harris should have to answer “a tough question” — which he didn’t think she had to do tonight.

The moderators sucked,” he said. “I thought it was horrible. It was awful.” Graham said he told Trump that one of his strongest moments was his closing argument — challenging Harris on why she hasn’t done more to change Americans’ lives over the past three and a half years.

“I think the president thinks he achieved his goal tonight of challenging her,” Graham said, “that you [Harris] own this. And you talk about all the things you’re going to do, why should we believe you?'”

He said he thinks Trump is open to another debate.

It's funny to me (but not surprising) that they are going after the moderators. They let trump take over the mic several times. I was kind of pissed off about it because he would just start talking and they would let him go. Harris did a few times but they seemed to push her off...partly because she was courteous and trump is a fucking idiot she would stop talking.

I haven't seen talking time stats yet...curious to see what those look like. Maybe I'm wrong but it seemed like he talked a lot more than her. And maybe that was her plan?
    I actually didn't think that part was that bad. They said they would get a 1 minute rebuttal. It looked like to me Trump would just take that 1 minute without waiting to be prompted to respond, so it might have looked like he was just going off. Or he'd ask for a rebuttal before moving on and they'd grant it to him. The time seemed fair and within the rules that they set.
    Harris spoke 23 times for 37 minutes. 
    Trump spoke 39 times for 42 minutes.

They always seemed to let him get the last word....which worked to his detriment because he is an aging lunatic.
    Difference of 4-5 minutes in a 90 minute debate is marginal. 
    47% of time for Harris, 53% for trump....
    I agree with most of what is being said about the debate. 
    Only 2 differences in my opinion is Harris didn't look good either, Trump just looked a lot worse. She didn't have to make any good points, she just had to let Trump talk in order to win. But by doing so, you don't get your message out and you don't make yourself look strong either. I don't think she started out strong. She didn't answer questions either. She just didn't make any really weird statements that made you stop and be like "Wait, what? What cult is she in?" That's a pretty low bar though if that's what we expect in a president. 

And that difference in time is negligible. Who cares about 47 - 53% talking time. Trump got more rebuttals because he asked for it. I don't recall Harris being cut off or denied a chance to speak. Trump asked for a chance to respond and got it every time. She didn't. I just don't see this as being an issue one way or another. 
    I think your analysis is way off base. He spoke 16 more times than she did. That is significant. Most of those times were to have the final word, which was not part of the rules. Usually the audience remembers the final thing the candidate says more than the rest....which is why Trump opted to give his closing statement last. So, yes, those extra 30-45 seconds at the end of every top mattered....only it backfired on him because he's just not up for this anymore. 

Also---Harris didn't look good either? I'm sorry...what? I think your bias is showing. You can argue she evaded some questions but that is what every candidate does in a debate when asked something they don't like. I understand you do not agree with her on a lot. But the argument you are making against her not looking good is what most argued against Trump in the first debate. This ain't that...at all. She pounded him on the issues that she needed to like abortion, and healthcare etc....and then she deftly threw grenades at him on topics she is vulnerable on like with immigration. This is when she pivoted to his rallies and Hannibal Lecter etc---completely threw him off his game on the topic he most wants to succeed at. That is the sign of an excellent debate performance.

Sorry Mace. She was fantastic. She made Trump look like a fool last night. The difference in the last debate is Biden did it all to himself. 

www.myspace.com
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252
    njhaley1 said:
    This is how it’s done. 

As a tax guy I cannot imagine the parameters placed on such a rule. Is there an income limit? Is that limit an overall limit or just on your W-2?

Would the non taxable OT be deductible by the business? How could a law firm bring in income...deduct wages paid to it's owners as OT and then not pay tax on it at the individual level. Just a ridiculous proposal.
    I don't get the no tax on tips or overtime.
    Just because your income is mostly tips, you shouldn't pay taxes like everyone else? What is the rationale behind that? But seems like both sides are getting behind that.
    OT should be taxed too, but at the normal rate. And why ar bonuses taxed at a higher rate? Everything should be the same, or are they trying to keep accountants and tax guys in business? 
    Initial post debate polling looks decent. Prob will know for sure by this time next week though

www.myspace.com
    mace1229 said:
    njhaley1 said:
    This is how it’s done. 

Would the non taxable OT be deductible by the business? How could a law firm bring in income...deduct wages paid to it's owners as OT and then not pay tax on it at the individual level. Just a ridiculous proposal.
    Just because your income is mostly tips, you shouldn't pay taxes like everyone else? What is the rationale behind that? But seems like both sides are getting behind that.
    OT should be taxed too, but at the normal rate. And why ar bonuses taxed at a higher rate? Everything should be the same, or are they trying to keep accountants and tax guys in business? 
    Bonuses are not taxed at a higher rate. Your tax depends on your taxable income and tax bracket.

But yeah...tips are income so it's really stupid. My opinion is that the dems are just going along with it since it benefits mainly lower/middle income Americans. Any time the GOP is willing to cut taxes for lower/middle income taxpayers it should be taken advantage of....no matter how stupid.

mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Lindsey Flimsey Flip Flop Faloozy, as predicted:

Sen. Lindsey Graham (S.C.), a Republican who is close to Trump, said he is encouraging the former president to do another debate, in part because he thinks Harris should have to answer “a tough question” — which he didn’t think she had to do tonight.

The moderators sucked,” he said. “I thought it was horrible. It was awful.” Graham said he told Trump that one of his strongest moments was his closing argument — challenging Harris on why she hasn’t done more to change Americans’ lives over the past three and a half years.

“I think the president thinks he achieved his goal tonight of challenging her,” Graham said, “that you [Harris] own this. And you talk about all the things you’re going to do, why should we believe you?'”

He said he thinks Trump is open to another debate.

It's funny to me (but not surprising) that they are going after the moderators. They let trump take over the mic several times. I was kind of pissed off about it because he would just start talking and they would let him go. Harris did a few times but they seemed to push her off...partly because she was courteous and trump is a fucking idiot she would stop talking.

I haven't seen talking time stats yet...curious to see what those look like. Maybe I'm wrong but it seemed like he talked a lot more than her. And maybe that was her plan?
    I actually didn't think that part was that bad. They said they would get a 1 minute rebuttal. It looked like to me Trump would just take that 1 minute without waiting to be prompted to respond, so it might have looked like he was just going off. Or he'd ask for a rebuttal before moving on and they'd grant it to him. The time seemed fair and within the rules that they set.
    Harris spoke 23 times for 37 minutes. 
    Trump spoke 39 times for 42 minutes.

They always seemed to let him get the last word....which worked to his detriment because he is an aging lunatic.
    Difference of 4-5 minutes in a 90 minute debate is marginal. 
    47% of time for Harris, 53% for trump....
    I agree with most of what is being said about the debate. 
    Only 2 differences in my opinion is Harris didn't look good either, Trump just looked a lot worse. She didn't have to make any good points, she just had to let Trump talk in order to win. But by doing so, you don't get your message out and you don't make yourself look strong either. I don't think she started out strong. She didn't answer questions either. She just didn't make any really weird statements that made you stop and be like "Wait, what? What cult is she in?" That's a pretty low bar though if that's what we expect in a president. 

And that difference in time is negligible. Who cares about 47 - 53% talking time. Trump got more rebuttals because he asked for it. I don't recall Harris being cut off or denied a chance to speak. Trump asked for a chance to respond and got it every time. She didn't. I just don't see this as being an issue one way or another. 
    I think your analysis is way off base. He spoke 16 more times than she did. That is significant. Most of those times were to have the final word, which was not part of the rules. Usually the audience remembers the final thing the candidate says more than the rest....which is why Trump opted to give his closing statement last. So, yes, those extra 30-45 seconds at the end of every top mattered....only it backfired on him because he's just not up for this anymore. 

Also---Harris didn't look good either? I'm sorry...what? I think your bias is showing. You can argue she evaded some questions but that is what every candidate does in a debate when asked something they don't like. I understand you do not agree with her on a lot. But the argument you are making against her not looking good is what most argued against Trump in the first debate. This ain't that...at all. She pounded him on the issues that she needed to like abortion, and healthcare etc....and then she deftly threw grenades at him on topics she is vulnerable on like with immigration. This is when she pivoted to his rallies and Hannibal Lecter etc---completely threw him off his game on the topic he most wants to succeed at. That is the sign of an excellent debate performance.

Sorry Mace. She was fantastic. She made Trump look like a fool last night. The difference in the last debate is Biden did it all to himself. 

yeah those people crying about bias need to STFU. He was allowed to bloviate as much as he wanted. That's why he lost.

• KatKat Posts: 4,831
    Sounds yummy. :how_interesting::relaxed:

From The Hill:
    Ben & Jerry’s co-founders, Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, are unveiling a new ice cream flavor, “Kamala’s Coconut Jubilee,” as part of a get-out-the-vote initiative to elect Vice President Harris and other downballot Democrats in November.

Cohen and Greenfield will join progressive organization MoveOn Political Action for its “Scoop the Vote” ice cream truck tour, which kicks off in Philadelphia on Sept. 16, the same day early voting begins in Pennsylvania.
    Falling down,...not staying down
    mace1229 said:
    njhaley1 said:
    This is how it’s done. 

My opinion is that the dems are just going along with it since it benefits mainly lower/middle income Americans. 
    And they know it was 100% bluster - it'll never pass in congress. But now they have them on record.
    edited September 13
    njhaley1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    njhaley1 said:
    This is how it’s done. 

My opinion is that the dems are just going along with it since it benefits mainly lower/middle income Americans. 
    And they know it was 100% bluster - it'll never pass in congress. But now they have them on record.
    yep...they'll put it in the tax bill and let the GOP vote against it. 

same crap going on with the GOP pushing that Harris wants to tax unrealized gains. That hasn't been proposed by her but the piece of Biden's proposal only applied to people with net worth greater than $100mil. And even then, it was a deposit on future tax on the gains. Refundable.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252
    edited September 13
    mace1229 said:
    njhaley1 said:
    This is how it’s done. 

Bonuses are not taxed at a higher rate. Your tax depends on your taxable income and tax bracket.

But yeah...tips are income so it's really stupid. My opinion is that the dems are just going along with it since it benefits mainly lower/middle income Americans. Any time the GOP is willing to cut taxes for lower/middle income taxpayers it should be taken advantage of....no matter how stupid.
    I almost never get bonuses as a teacher, but several years ago we got one through a grant through Bill Gates somehow. Was a few thousand. It was taxed at like 50%. Maybe its changed since then, but I only saw about half of it. Had a separate tax form (like a w-2, but for a bonus) that we had to file. Maybe it was considered a gift instead of a bonus or something, I just know Bill Gates donated about half to teachers and about half to the government with this.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,275
    edited September 13
    Kat said:

From The Hill:
    Ben & Jerry’s co-founders, Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, are unveiling a new ice cream flavor, “Kamala’s Coconut Jubilee,” as part of a get-out-the-vote initiative to elect Vice President Harris and other downballot Democrats in November.

Cohen and Greenfield will join progressive organization MoveOn Political Action for its “Scoop the Vote” ice cream truck tour, which kicks off in Philadelphia on Sept. 16, the same day early voting begins in Pennsylvania.
    Ugh I hate coconut. Guess I'll have to vote for Trump now. There goes PA. (LOL)
    Post edited by Johnny Abruzzo on
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21;
    Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,549
    Sounds good. Would prefer chocolate to caramel. Feel like that works better with coconut. 
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    njhaley1 said:
    This is how it’s done. 

I almost never get bonuses as a teacher, but several years ago we got one through a grant through Bill Gates somehow. Was a few thousand. It was taxed at like 50%. Maybe its changed since then, but I only saw about half of it. Had a separate tax form (like a w-2, but for a bonus) that we had to file. Maybe it was considered a gift instead of a bonus or something, I just know Bill Gates donated about half to teachers and about half to the government with this.
    They may have taken half out, but you ended up paying a bit less in taxes (or got a slightly larger return) in the filing year.

Correct, @gern?
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,308
    Sounds good. Would prefer chocolate to caramel. Feel like that works better with coconut. 
    You're a fucking Marxist. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    You're a fucking Marxist. 
    Marxist, communist, socialist, libtard.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • And fuck the pope. Well, at least the repubs aren’t killing anyone, eh?

https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/13/politics/pope-francis-trump-harris-abortion/index.html
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    njhaley1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    njhaley1 said:
    This is how it’s done. 

They may have taken half out, but you ended up paying a bit less in taxes (or got a slightly larger return) in the filing year.

Correct, @gern?
    Correct... Withholding is not necessarily what you pay. If they withheld 50% you probably got a good refund 

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,618
    Kat said:

From The Hill:

I can see Donnie now" Ben and Jerry, I never liked them. It's an inferior ice cream. I like Breyer's."
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Poncier said:
    Kat said:

From The Hill:

I can see Donnie now" Ben and Jerry, I never liked them. It's an inferior ice cream. I like Breyer's."
    i can see him doing this bit at his next rally.

i agree with whomever above said chocolate may have been better. i am not a big coconut fan, but coconut with caramel sounds like it could be good.

• Kat said:

From The Hill:

Ugh I hate coconut. Guess I'll have to vote for Trump now. There goes PA. (LOL)
    lol i knew deep down this would backfire somehow!!

• And fuck the pope. Well, at least the repubs aren’t killing anyone, eh?

https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/13/politics/pope-francis-trump-harris-abortion/index.html
    Is anyone else surprised by the last line in that article:

"a majority of Catholics — 61% — believe abortion should be legal in all or most cases"