• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,709
    edited July 23
    Joe Biden
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    seanwon said:
    teskeinc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    You can bet that tRump's camp is wishing they had that Vance pick back. I bet they would go with Haley right now given the circumstances.

Interesting argument.  Would she have taken it?

I bet she would; she's every bit as ambitious/ craven as Vance is. She would have been a far more palatable option, too, since her foreign policy views are reality-based, at least.
    Let’s be honest if she was picked she would be slandered here by the lefty liberals just like any other candidate. That’s what you do here.

End of the day it doesn’t matter. The 10-20 posters here are voting for an empty chair over Trump. It’s people like me who have voted mostly Democrat in their life that needs a centrist candidate to be better than Trump. That isn’t Kamala. That’s what is going to decide the swing states and ultimately the election.
    I don't believe that for a second. Sorry.
    Believe it.  I never have and never would vote for Trump.  I have voted for just 1 Republican presidential candidate in my life.  I WASN'T voting for Biden, I will grudgingly vote for Harris.  But not excited about it.  And none of the liberals I know are excited about it, or the direction of the Dem party recently.  To be fair, none of the Cons I know are excited by the republican party in recent years either.  I suppose I am lucky to be surrounded by a lot of normal people, rather than people brainwashed by the far left and right. 
    Fair,  but you're replying to discussion with someone else.  That person believes Pelosi is blackmailing a federal judge to increase Huntet's sentence.  And that Harris "slept her way" to the top.  People who believe this nonsense are voting for Trump. 
    agreed.

people that are voting for trump are voting for trump. end of story. they are ungettable, so democrats should stop trying to sway them to their side. it isn't going to work.

the people the dems need to engage are swing voters and reasonable people, and confused/dismayed republicans. those are the only gettable votes outside of the dem base. 
    To this point I would add I think Dems really need to focus on making the positive case for Harris and not just keep shit talking Trump. His favorables are well underwater. The problem is hers are too but I think she's in a much better position to reframe/reintroduce herself as a candidate.
    to this point i believe the gop should tell trump to tone down the violent and hateful rhetoric. he needs to be an adult for once and conduct himself like an adult and like a serious player on the world stage. dems cannot let it go unchecked or they will be called weak by trump.

i think the dems actually know what they are doing with regard to their new strategy. 

anybody that is positive on trump is a waste of time for democrats. they will not get those people.
    It's Donald fucking Trump. People outside of his base hate him. He is historically disliked and tried to end democracy as we know it. Hammer the hell out of him relentlessly. Nonstop. Remind people how much they hate him. Day after day until November. When elections are about him, he loses. 

The playbook is simple. Her being twenty years younger and being able to fully articulate this intelligently is an enormous bonus that maga, typically, is underestimating. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    seanwon said:
    teskeinc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    You can bet that tRump's camp is wishing they had that Vance pick back. I bet they would go with Haley right now given the circumstances.

I bet she would; she's every bit as ambitious/ craven as Vance is. She would have been a far more palatable option, too, since her foreign policy views are reality-based, at least.
    Let’s be honest if she was picked she would be slandered here by the lefty liberals just like any other candidate. That’s what you do here.

End of the day it doesn’t matter. The 10-20 posters here are voting for an empty chair over Trump. It’s people like me who have voted mostly Democrat in their life that needs a centrist candidate to be better than Trump. That isn’t Kamala. That’s what is going to decide the swing states and ultimately the election.
    Believe it.  I never have and never would vote for Trump.  I have voted for just 1 Republican presidential candidate in my life.  I WASN'T voting for Biden, I will grudgingly vote for Harris.  But not excited about it.  And none of the liberals I know are excited about it, or the direction of the Dem party recently.  To be fair, none of the Cons I know are excited by the republican party in recent years either.  I suppose I am lucky to be surrounded by a lot of normal people, rather than people brainwashed by the far left and right. 
    Fair,  but you're replying to discussion with someone else.  That person believes Pelosi is blackmailing a federal judge to increase Huntet's sentence.  And that Harris "slept her way" to the top.  People who believe this nonsense are voting for Trump. 
    agreed.

people that are voting for trump are voting for trump. end of story. they are ungettable, so democrats should stop trying to sway them to their side. it isn't going to work.

the people the dems need to engage are swing voters and reasonable people, and confused/dismayed republicans. those are the only gettable votes outside of the dem base. 
    To this point I would add I think Dems really need to focus on making the positive case for Harris and not just keep shit talking Trump. His favorables are well underwater. The problem is hers are too but I think she's in a much better position to reframe/reintroduce herself as a candidate.
    to this point i believe the gop should tell trump to tone down the violent and hateful rhetoric. he needs to be an adult for once and conduct himself like an adult and like a serious player on the world stage. dems cannot let it go unchecked or they will be called weak by trump.

i think the dems actually know what they are doing with regard to their new strategy. 

anybody that is positive on trump is a waste of time for democrats. they will not get those people.

The playbook is simple. Her being twenty years younger and being able to fully articulate this intelligently is an enormous bonus that maga, typically, is underestimating. 
    Oh I think they know, that's why they've been freaking out since Biden dropped out.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    That money will go to a PAC and the new candidate will make up the difference in no time.

I've heard many a Dem strategist say it will be not that big of a deal.

A bigger deal is sticking with a candidate that is the equivalency of the Titanic sinking. 

https://prospect.org/power/2024-07-02-campaign-finance-laws-harris-big-boost-biden-dropout-scenario/
    Yup, I understand all that.

It's not going to be easy. But I do think there will be a lot of donors willing to open their wallets for a new exciting candidate.

100 million I think could be raised in no time. 

There are currently a lot of big wallets closing shut for Biden as we speak.

Do you think if Biden stays he can pull this off? Honest question.
    Apparently Democrats have raised over $250 million in under 2 days.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,299
    Joe Biden
    teskeinc said:
    Ok that seals it for me I won’t vote for her because of a YouTube video clip 🤡
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,709
    Joe Biden
    teskeinc said:
    Sadly for Trump, these couple of clips from years ago are way more articulate than something you can find him saying on a daily basis currently.

Trump is just too old to be president again. He needs to drop out. 
    www.myspace.com
    Joe Biden
    teskeinc said:
    Sadly for Trump, these couple of clips from years ago are way more articulate than something you can find him saying on a daily basis currently.

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,703
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    seanwon said:
    teskeinc said:
    mrussel1 said:

agreed.

Oh I think they know, that's why they've been freaking out since Biden dropped out.
    And they keep throwing out the "tRump is the OLDEST person nominated to be president" which is absolutely true. Biden had not yet been nominated.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    And Megan Kelly....damn that chick has gone full magat. 

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,214
    And Megan Kelly....damn that chick has gone full magat. 
    yeah. that happened like 8 years ago.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,108
    teskeinc said:
    Thanks for sharing, it's always great to be reminded how much or little ammunition the opposition has. So far it's her laugh, and her explanation of a Venn diagram (which, in complexity, is quite a bit higher than Man Woman Person Cow TV, or whatever those five words Trump had to utter to prove his most basic of intelligence).
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,195
    Joe Biden
    seanwon said:
    teskeinc said:
    mrussel1 said:

I'm trying to follow the logic here, and I can't.
    I'm a centrist -- like, right down the middle, due south of center centrist. Obama was the first Democrat I voted for; Sarah Palin pushed me off of the fence. I still seek out centrist people because I like to consider diverse opinions. 
    I'm confused by the use of terminology above. Liberals aren't centrists. I'm not a liberal -- I'm a civil libertarian.
    In reality, there are a whole bunch of people who are part of a pro *democracy* (not Democrat -- democracy) movement who are trying to preserve small-d democratic norms and prevent an authoritarian takeover of our country. That movement encompasses everyone from AOC to Liz Cheney, and I defy anyone to call Liz Cheney a liberal to her face.
    There is one issue at stake this election, and it's not taxes, or inflation, or the price of gasoline, or drag queen story hour. Do you want to continue to live in a free country? Yes or no? That's the only question.
    If we stabilize things, we can get back to arguing about tax policy or federal regulations or whatever. I hope that happens.
    And, objectively, an empty chair is better than T---p. I can get in my car right now, drive to Target, and grab the first person I see and they will be better than T---p. The former president is manifestly unfit, as a human, to do anything: I wouldn't hire him to park cars let alone to sit on a corporate board or be POTUS. That has nothing to do with his policies -- he has no policies per se, beyond "what's in it for me?" He's a malignant narcissist and a sociopath who has defrauded people, cheated on his taxes, sexually assaulted women, cheated on his wives, tried to extort other countries, praised murderous tyrants, mocked our military, mishandled a pandemic leading to thousands of excess deaths, lacks empathy, intelligence, and curiosity, is profoundly vain, ignorant, and lazy.  He makes me miss George W Bush and want to come up with a list of nice things to say about W. His own Cabinet members referred to him as a "f---ing moron" and "not so much a person as a collection of terrible traits."
    You want to talk small government, lower taxes, fiscal restraint, tough stances against Russia? I'm all ears. Want to hear me say nice things about Republicans? Okay: Mitt Romney was right about Russia! I don't believe for a minute that W is a racist and I think he believed he was doing the right thing in Iraq (even though I vociferously disagree with that decision!). I admire Liz Cheney's courage and devotion to protecting the Constitution!
    This isn't about politics. It's about keeping one person from ending our 248 year experiment.

why target, why not walmart....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    I was thinking about it, and in a way, it's actually not the worst thing that Biden went so far as to get the Trump campaign legitimately thinking he'd stay in. Think of the things that Republicans have attempted to weaponize: cognitive decline and nominee age. Look at the old guy left in the running demonstrating cognitive decline now! Look at the ad spends that have been wasted selling exactly that message, when they can now be rebranded and apply directly to Trump. Add to that the contrast between crime-committer and prosecutor, and I think the underdogs are very clearly Republicans now.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,668
    Other
    benjs said:
    I was thinking about it, and in a way, it's actually not the worst thing that Biden went so far as to get the Trump campaign legitimately thinking he'd stay in. Think of the things that Republicans have attempted to weaponize: cognitive decline and nominee age. Look at the old guy left in the running demonstrating cognitive decline now! Look at the ad spends that have been wasted selling exactly that message, when they can now be rebranded and apply directly to Trump. Add to that the contrast between crime-committer and prosecutor, and I think the underdogs are very clearly Republicans now.
    How? There is polling. Focus groups etc. Harris couldn’t even make it to the first primary in 2020. She is very unfavorable like 36% approval as VP. What changed over 72 hours that makes people approve of her? 
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,786
    Joe Biden
    brianlux said:
    This isn't about politics. It's about keeping one person from ending our 248 year experiment.

Post of the day!
     Week!
    Month!
    Hell, I've give ya the whole year!  Magnificent!  Mwwwwwwah!

Aww, thanks, guys.
    I am motivated by a deep love of our Constitution and gratitude for the rights I have. I feel that the power our nation has comes with responsibility. I worry about what will happen, not only to people in the US, but to people in Ukraine, Moldova, the Baltics, Poland, and Taiwan if T---p is re-elected. And I think we ought to care about what happens to other humans. Everything else pales in comparison to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Good point about how this goes beyond just us in the U.S.  The repercussions of a second Trump term, if it happens, would be felt far and wide.  We just can't let that happen.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

teskeinc said:
    benjs said:
    How? There is polling. Focus groups etc. Harris couldn’t even make it to the first primary in 2020. She is very unfavorable like 36% approval as VP. What changed over 72 hours that makes people approve of her? 
    How many tRump flags you flying bro?

• teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,668
    Other
    teskeinc said:
    benjs said:
    How many tRump flags you flying bro?
    All of them. House is covered. My truck is only getting 4 miles to the gallon because of the draft. I order red hats by the dozens. 
    Joe Biden
    benjs said:

Hard to say if this was planned all along, but as things developed- the poor showing at the debate, the massive pressure to drop out, Biden coming down with COVID- taking all that into account and moving forward has thus far been masterfully planned and carried out.  MAGA have good reason to be freaking out.
    teskeinc said:

That would probably be a smart move for Republicans, but I can't imagine Trumps hugely inflated ego allowing that to happen.  Of course, that wouldn't bother me as long as he took Vance with him (another incredibly stupid move by the GOP).  
    I've always leaned (sometimes strongly so) Democrat, but it would be healthy and good for the country to have a respectable Republican Party again in stead of the authoritarian MAGA party that so many members of the GOP rolled over like lame dogs and allowed it to take over their party.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Posts: 36,679
    Joe Biden
    teskeinc said:
    benjs said:
    The machine has now shifted to being behind her. The voting public will be told how to think about her, and many/most will fall in line. It’s all about narrative, and how much money you have to control it. She now has a LOT. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

teskeinc said:
    benjs said:
    What changed? Here's what comes to mind off-hand.

1. After the right's meagre attempts to weaponize age and cognitive decline, only one candidate currently demonstrates that.
    2. After the right has been criticizing the "Biden crime family" for months, a prosecutor is now being nominated by Democrats and only one candidate is a convicted criminal.
    3. There is no more infighting on the Democrat side between those advocating for progressive vs. traditional politicians - all are unified behind Kamala Harris
    4. More demonstrated incompetence from the Republican side increases Democrat will to prevent them from having power
    5. Access to Biden funds and campaign infrastructure
    6. The fact that you and your ilk are here criticizing her constantly tells me there's Republican fear. I can smell the stench from here.

I know you'd love to show one part of the story in isolation - Harris' favourability ratings - but what matters is how she fares against Trump, not her favourability outright. 

EV
  • ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 1,000
    Joe Biden
    One thing polling isn’t likely to accurately capture is young, first time voters who overwhelmingly favor Kamala over Darth Trump. A large wave of those could easily swing the election. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,264
    Josh Shapiro
    ZoSoTim said:
    One thing polling isn’t likely to accurately capture is young, first time voters who overwhelmingly favor Kamala over Darth Trump. A large wave of those could easily swing the election. 
    Some potential bad news on that front....

Josh Shapiro
    It's one poll but also just in general if you need to count on young voters you're doomed
    Joe Biden
    Polls, LOL.  Or as Trump would say, "Pole". 

Joe Biden
    It’s gonna be a tough fight no matter which way KH approaches the next 100 days! She’s the underdog!
    Joe Biden
    It’s gonna be a tough fight no matter which way KH approaches the next 100 days! She’s the underdog!

Tough fight, yes.  But she's a tough lady.
    And as history has proven, when people fight for freedom, they rise above.  Never forget, friend, we are fighting for freedom.

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,701
    edited July 23
    No polls should be taken seriously until they cover a time period where she is actually running for president (now)
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,506
    Kamala Harris
    pjl44 said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    Some potential bad news on that front....

First, this poll began and ended before Harris announced. 

Second, QP doesn't provide the cross tabs.  So we know nothing about the size and distribution of the 18-34.  Drawing conclusions from this is a waste. 

https://poll.qu.edu/poll-release?releaseid=3901
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,478
    Kamala Harris
    That's a total joke. No way in hell Trump gets 59% of 18-34 vote. Polls are not elections folks.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Josh Shapiro
    Yes, I agree with all of this. My point was don't just automatically assume it's locked down.