Give us a favorite 1980s song!

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,786
    Here's one of my favorite TV performances from the 80s:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• soph189soph189 Posts: 345
    GlowGirl said:

40 years ago - mulletpallooza

I’m into it 
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    Flock of seaguls. I RAN

• GlowGirlGlowGirl Posts: 10,787
    LB260405 said:
    I’m going to see the Pixies tonight. It will be my 4th time seeing them. Should be a great show. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,744
    This weekend we rock Portland
    ^^^ Two more excellent choices, thanks!  Would loved to have seen either or both the Police and B-52's!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• GlowGirlGlowGirl Posts: 10,787
    brianlux said:
    ^^^ Two more excellent choices, thanks!  Would loved to have seen either or both the Police and B-52's!
    In 2006 or so I went to the Indy 500 with a friend who lives there. The day before the race the B-52s and Third Eye Blind played a show at the racetrack. It was a great show. That was the only time I have seen either of those bands. 
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:
    In 2006 or so I went to the Indy 500 with a friend who lives there. The day before the race the B-52s and Third Eye Blind played a show at the racetrack. It was a great show. That was the only time I have seen either of those bands. 

Nice!  How cool that B-52's were still at it.

Edit:  wow, I just checked.  Appears they are still an active band!

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,214
    brianlux said:

This moves the needle huh?
    In honor of Pride Month Frankie Goes to Hollywood song Relax.

'Relax, don't do it.  When you want to cuck or chew it"

https://youtu.be/Yem_iEHiyJ0?si=TKPhoggCYEz7d9Ag
    brianlux said:

A little.  I didn't follow Bjork much beyond The Sugercubes' Life's Too Good LP, but it's fun and seemed rather different at the time.  I love here voice and that distinctive growling.  :-)

One of the cool things about the 80s was the coming out (so to speak) of gays and lesbians in American culture, particularly in places like San Francisco, NYC, and to some extent, Los Angles.  I remember this really cool club on the edge of the Castro district in S.F. near the corner of Castro and Market St. (wish I could remember the name of it) that played great music- post punk, new wave, hip disco, even some no wave- and was a place that was kind of a coming together of gay and straight patrons.  Really cool place.
    Then there was the time some of my crew from Da Anza College Bookstore went up to the city to hit a few clubs.  One of our little group was openly gay (and, sadly, one of the first to be lost to AIDS), and he said, "OK you guys, I went to your clubs, now lets go to one of mine," and he took us to The Stud in the heart of the Castro.  That was a trip.  The artwork on the walls would make most of us blush, lol.  Good times.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

A little.  I didn't follow Bjork much beyond The Sugercubes' Life's Too Good LP, but it's fun and seemed rather different at the time.  I love here voice and that distinctive growling.  :-)
    I dug her for a bit then grew tired of her, lol.  I think the swan dress I wrote her off.  Google swan dress to see what i'm talking about.
    brianlux said:

One of the cool things about the 80s was the coming out (so to speak) of gays and lesbians in American culture, particularly in places like San Francisco, NYC, and to some extent, Los Angles.  I remember this really cool club on the edge of the Castro district in S.F. near the corner of Castro and Market St. (wish I could remember the name of it) that played great music- post punk, new wave, hip disco, even some no wave- and was a place that was kind of a coming together of gay and straight patrons.  Really cool place.
    Then there was the time some of my crew from Da Anza College Bookstore went up to the city to hit a few clubs.  One of our little group was openly gay (and, sadly, one of the first to be lost to AIDS), and he said, "OK you guys, I went to your clubs, now lets go to one of mine," and he took us to The Stud in the heart of the Castro.  That was a trip.  The artwork on the walls would make most of us blush, lol.  Good times.
    I went to Neighbours in Seattle.  One of the biggest gay clubs at the time.  Circa 1996.  The music was amazing.  The scene was all new to me and had NEVER experienced seeing anything like that before, lol.  We went w a group of 12 and were all straight.  Had a fun time dancing.  I'm sure your experience was like mine then @brian
    brianlux said:

I went to Neighbours in Seattle.  One of the biggest gay clubs at the time.  Circa 1996.  The music was amazing.  The scene was all new to me and had NEVER experienced seeing anything like that before, lol.  We went w a group of 12 and were all straight.  Had a fun time dancing.  I'm sure your experience was like mine then @brian

For sure, bud.  Sounds like a good time.  And I don't know how it is today, but Seattle was a great town in my years up on the Olympic Peninsula in the early 90s.

I didn't appreciate this back then but I do now.  What a great song/album.  I somehow developed a love for Roy Orbison.  I saw a live performance of him on TV and was captivated hence the new found love for this.

"Super groups" are an interesting idea, but seldom produce anything lasting.  Bit the Traveling Wilburys really got it together and did some great, enduring work!

Another top notch "super group" from the 80s was The Highwaymen.  Their first album, Highwayman, is excellent and produced  some great work:
    Primary

• darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,559
    I didn't appreciate this back then but I do now.  What a great song/album.  I somehow developed a love for Roy Orbison.  I saw a live performance of him on TV and was captivated hence the new found love for this.

My dad loved the hell out of this album and played it a lot when it came out. He was a huge Beatles and Orbison fan. It's sad Roy passed away shortly after Vol. 1 came out, but the guitar in the rocking chair in this video is a nice tribute.

The 80s aren't complete without Genesis.

Accept song Balls to the Wall
    I still dig this.  Early hair metal had some teeth to it.  This is one of those songs.
    https://youtu.be/B_3TlrZLpQ0?si=LrHqcXhF9oC74Q4T
    I still dig this.  Early hair metal had some teeth to it.  This is one of those songs.

I got a stiff neck watching those guys play.  :lol:        

brianlux said:

I got a stiff neck watching those guys play.  :lol:        
    LOL now that's funny!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,460

My dad loved the hell out of this album and played it a lot when it came out. He was a huge Beatles and Orbison fan. It's sad Roy passed away shortly after Vol. 1 came out, but the guitar in the rocking chair in this video is a nice tribute.

That's embarrassing Genesis though.  Their 70s stuff and the Genesis album in the early 80s was way better.

Genesis - Mama (Official Music Video) (youtube.com)
    pjhawks said:

That's embarrassing Genesis though.  Their 70s stuff and the Genesis album in the early 80s was way better.

Genesis - Mama (Official Music Video) (youtube.com)
    I wasn't around for Peter Gabriel Genesis but I do remember this video and the buzz it created.