• ekwiptekwipt Posts: 530
    ekwipt said:
    BF25394 said:
    ekwipt said:
    TahoeJeff said:
    KS245363 said:
    ekwipt said:
    PJNB said:
    Seattle used to be a special show. Maybe that's why they don't play their much anymore. Expectations are sky high since 2000. They didn't even get extra songs. Nail in the coffin on an era of special shows. 2000 to 2018 may you RIP. Was holding out hope Seattle would see something legendary again like the home shows (even if shorter).

Seems like a solid set, just Seattle expectations were for that little extra umph.
    I would argue that Seattle in 2013, 2018 and 2024 aren't even in the contest for best setlist of that respective year.  (Again, purely talking about setlist, doesnt account for crowd, vibes etc.)

I think there is this expectation about Seattle shows that people have, which I have not really understood, since they haven't done anything "special" in Seattle since I have been following for 15 years or so.  

The only city that seems to get special treatment is Philly/Camden.  That city consistently gets special shows or has arguably the best setlist of the tour.  
    Seattle N2 2018 absolutely is in the talks with best set of that tour. 
    Not even a conversation imo. King that one. 
    Yeah, I was at N2 2018 and last night. That 2018 show was up there with the best concerts I've seen in my life from any band. It's by far my favorite PJ show. Will admit I went in last night hoping for something similar, but like others have said it was more of a standard show. But I do think there's something pretty amazing and different in the vibe due to the local connection. Like when the guys were all talking about their day jobs around Seattle before PJ took off, and how Jeff used to live like 100 yards away from the venue. There's deep history here obviously, and that seemed to come through from the crowd and the band. There were some really special moments last night and it was a super solid show but comparing it to N2 of the Home Shows isn't really giving it a fair shake. 
    Yeah, when Ed was talking about the old jobs they used to work, I was like “I know those places”. I didn’t know that Mike used to work at Piecoras. I used to go there for pizza years ago. Good spot. Or like when Ed was talking about how they are out there driving around in the cars next to you. It’s like, oh yeah. 
    We were next to Eddies family last night and when Ed said" maybe we cross with each other by driving our kids to school", Jill laughed and said to her daughter " yeah, like he drove you to school Lol"
    I think she also gave him shit at Ohana one year when he mentioned going to the grocery store; she was side stage wondering when Ed had gone grocery shopping. 🤣
    😂 To be fair I think Ed is way too famous to casually go to the store often in most parts of the world. He’s “attract the crazies” famous. I can’t imagine what it’s like trying to pick out some produce at a grocery store and have to worry about people grabbing at you and breaking down into an emotional mess at the mere sight of you. 
    I saw Chris Cornell at a Ralphs (that's a supermarket) up the street from where I lived several years ago. This was a guy who further stood out because of his height. You have to remember that as iconic as someone like Eddie (or Chris) is to us, they're still mostly unknown to most people, or at least not instantly recognizable. Not to mention that it isn't 1994 anymore. In Seattle, neither my Airbnb host nor the girl working the front desk at the gym had heard of Pearl Jam. In Seattle.
    Yes much of the world has moved on. It is some of “us” who are the crazy ones 🤣 
    I say this (mostly) in jest. Did I see someone holding Ed’s arm and not letting go when he wanted to get back to the stage last night 👀 😆 
    It’s not that the world moved on it’s that they probably weren’t even born yet! 
    No doubt. I’m well into my 40s and felt like I was in the youngest 15% of my section last night. Crowd in Seattle was noticeably older than Vancouver was. Great to see so many OGs out for the show!
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,190
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Bruce Springsteen repeated 23 songs on the second night of his recent two-night stand in L.A. (out of 31). I don't think Pearl Jam needs to apologize for having nine repeats (out of 25), with eight of them being brand-new songs that no one had ever seen live as of four weeks ago.
    This is like if Pearl Jam played a full set of covers and I came in proclaiming "well Me First and The Gimme Gimmes do that!"
    I think we agree on this subject, but I need your analogy explained to me.
    I think the setlist issue is more comparing "what Pearl Jam is doing now vs what they've done the last 25 years" than "what Pearl Jam is doing now vs what other bands do."

Sure Bruce or U2 keep setlists standard. Pearl Jam never did that. I don't like seeing them move in that direction even though Bruce and U2 do that.

Me First and The Gimme Gimmes play all covers. Pearl Jam doesn't do that. I would not like to see them move in that direction even though Me First do that.
    But I don't think Pearl Jam is really doing that. Almost all of the repetition is due to the Dark Matter tracks, which are brand-new. People should be able to expect that a band touring behind a new album will be emphasizing that album. They played nearly 100 unique songs over ten proper shows. They played over 100 unique songs across the eight shows of 2023. They are not really pulling back on variety.
    1. Repeating 8-9 songs of a 25 song set consistently in 2 night stands is a dramatic increase compared to any tour in at least the last 25 years

2. They could play 6 Dark Matter songs per night, repeating only one and that would be 1/4 of the set each night

3. It's totally reasonable for someone to say that #1 doesn't bother them or even that they prefer it but it's still a change and it's one I'm a little bummed about 
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Bruce Springsteen repeated 23 songs on the second night of his recent two-night stand in L.A. (out of 31). I don't think Pearl Jam needs to apologize for having nine repeats (out of 25), with eight of them being brand-new songs that no one had ever seen live as of four weeks ago.
    This is like if Pearl Jam played a full set of covers and I came in proclaiming "well Me First and The Gimme Gimmes do that!"
    I think the setlist issue is more comparing "what Pearl Jam is doing now vs what they've done the last 25 years" than "what Pearl Jam is doing now vs what other bands do."

Sure Bruce or U2 keep setlists standard. Pearl Jam never did that. I don't like seeing them move in that direction even though Bruce and U2 do that.

Me First and The Gimme Gimmes play all covers. Pearl Jam doesn't do that. I would not like to see them move in that direction even though Me First do that.
    But I don't think Pearl Jam is really doing that. Almost all of the repetition is due to the Dark Matter tracks, which are brand-new. People should be able to expect that a band touring behind a new album will be emphasizing that album. They played nearly 100 unique songs over ten proper shows. They played over 100 unique songs across the eight shows of 2023. They are not really pulling back on variety.
    1. Repeating 8-9 songs of a 25 song set consistently in 2 night stands is a dramatic increase compared to any tour in at least the last 25 years

2. They could play 6 Dark Matter songs per night, repeating only one and that would be 1/4 of the set each night

3. It's totally reasonable for someone to say that #1 doesn't bother them or even that they prefer it but it's still a change and it's one I'm a little bummed about 
    You're talking about ten shows behind an album that came out six weeks ago. If they're still playing eight or nine songs a night from Dark Matter in 2026, then we'll have something to talk about. Again, these songs are brand-new. How can anyone seriously complain that they heard them twice in the same city? I heard some of these songs ten times in the past month and I was still looking forward to hearing them the tenth time.

Across ten shows, there were four Gigaton songs played a total of five times. There were two Lightning Bolt songs played a total of three times. There were two Backspacer songs played a total of three times. There were four Pearl Jam songs played a total of six times. Enjoy the Dark Matter song performances while you can.

I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    edited June 1
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:

You're talking about ten shows behind an album that came out six weeks ago. If they're still playing eight or nine songs a night from Dark Matter in 2026, then we'll have something to talk about. Again, these songs are brand-new. How can anyone seriously complain that they heard them twice in the same city? I heard some of these songs ten times in the past month and I was still looking forward to hearing them the tenth time.

Across ten shows, there were four Gigaton songs played a total of five times. There were two Lightning Bolt songs played a total of three times. There were two Backspacer songs played a total of three times. There were four Pearl Jam songs played a total of six times. Enjoy the Dark Matter song performances while you can.

There are not 9 songs in their catalog I would want to see repeated. You're number 3 and that's ok. I don't agree with you. There's no way I would have felt the same excitement for the 3rd show much less the 10th especially at $175 a pop.
    Post edited by pjl44 on
    U2 has fairly standard setlists on a given tour and I know 2 people who have followed them around frequently. I could not do that but totally get people who do. The wildly varying setlists is one of two reasons why I've historically gone to multiple Pearl Jam shows on every tour.
  • Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 5,618
    I like lamp!
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II, 05/16 & 05/18/24: Las Vegas I & II, 08/29 & 08/31/24: Wrigley Field I & II, 09/03 & 09/04/24: MSG I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, Bugs/all of Vitalogy, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), The Long Road, Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways, Ghost, Bu$hleaguer, WWS, Parachutes, Army Reserve, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Fatal, Hitchhiker, Education, Black Red Yellow, Of the Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Gonna See My Friend, Amongst the Waves, Santa Cruz, Infallible, Yellow Moon, Alright, Comes Then Goes, Got to Give, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:

There are not 9 songs in their catalog I would want to see repeated. You're number 3 and that's ok. I don't agree with you. There's no way I would have felt the same excitement for the 3rd show much less the 10th especially at $175 a pop.
    On the 2000 tour, there were ten songs played at least 55 times in 73 shows. Eight of them were played at least 61 times.

On the 2013 tour, there were eight songs played at least 47 times out of 55 shows.

They were repeating a lot of songs on prior tours.

On the 2000 tour, for example, they played back-to-back nights at Wembley Stadium. They repeated 12 songs. The sets were 26 and 25 songs, the same length as the shows on the 2024 tour.

For another example, they played back-to-back nights in Philadelphia on that tour. They repeated nine songs. The sets were 28 songs long.

There's a lot of revisionist history that goes on here.

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:

On the 2000 tour, there were ten songs played at least 55 times in 73 shows. Eight of them were played at least 61 times.

On the 2013 tour, there were eight songs played at least 47 times out of 55 shows.

On the 2000 tour, for example, they played back-to-back nights at Wembley Stadium. They repeated 12 songs. The sets were 26 and 25 songs, the same length as the shows on the 2024 tour.

For another example, they played back-to-back nights in Philadelphia on that tour. They repeated nine songs. The sets were 28 songs long.

There is a lot of cherry picking with stats too. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,154
    edited June 1
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:

Never heard of anyone having the 2000-tour as the benchmark for them going crazy with mixing setlists up, but rather 2003 and forward. Have you seen the Milan and Stockholm set from 2000? 

Are you completely sure you are not the one being a little bit revisionist here for your pointmaking?

But ofc there will be a set of staples and new songs repeating. And I can't wait for it! 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,154
    edited June 1
    But maybe the 2003 also was overlap heavy
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    My fatal flaw was saying 25 years rather than 20 or 21
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,322
    pjl44 said:

BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:

Never heard of anyone having the 2000-tour as the benchmark for them going crazy with mixing setlists up, but rather 2003 and forward. Have you seen the Milan and Stockholm set from 2000? 

Are you completely sure you are not the one being a little bit revisionist here for your pointmaking?

But ofc there will be a set of staples and new songs repeating. And I can't wait for it! 
    Never heard of it? How about the specific reference to the last 25 years that I was directly responding to?
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:

There is a lot of cherry picking with stats too. 
    That is no doubt true. I pulled the first two pairs of same-city bootlegs off my shelf when writing this email late Friday night. Maybe they're not representative. But 12 is a lot of repeats. I didn't look at any specific 2013 show pairs, but if you're playing eight songs 47 times out of 55, there are probably going to be six-to-eight repeats at those second shows.
    pjl44 said:
    The answers are fatal. I really think this is true for later tours, too. I only looked at 2013 among later tours.
  • devonfzdevonfz Posts: 172
    It’s not just the dark matter songs alive dte porch daughter elderly gtf evenflow corduroy pretty much every nite I think we alll would like to see leash animal go stbc more than once a tour most were played maybe once over ten shows I think besides slow songs to open maybe two or three songs a nite were random and not predictable
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,322
    edited June 1
    The creativity behind constructing the sets seems to be lacking imo. Not complaining but it is what it is. Predicting a PJ setlist used to be difficult.
  • thomascbullockthomascbullock Posts: 412
    edited June 1
    pjl44 said:
    U2 has fairly standard setlists on a given tour and I know 2 people who have followed them around frequently. I could not do that but totally get people who do. The wildly varying setlists is one of two reasons why I've historically gone to multiple Pearl Jam shows on every tour.
    Yeah - I saw two U2 Sphere shows which differed by 2 songs - the novelty of the venue meant they both were great experiences, but I wouldn’t want to see, say, 4 on a tour like that.
    devonfz said:
    It’s not just the dark matter songs alive dte porch daughter elderly gtf evenflow corduroy pretty much every nite I think we alll would like to see leash animal go stbc more than once a tour most were played maybe once over ten shows I think besides slow songs to open maybe two or three songs a nite were random and not predictable
    "Given to Fly" and "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town" were played at four of ten shows. "Daughter" and "Corduroy" were played at five of ten shows. That's not "pretty much every [night]." That's half the time or less than half the time.
  • DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 664
    Spunkie said:
    VAN1 was great not knowing the next two songs...
    I have had the same thought a number of times over the last almost 4 weeks. Expected to hear a lot of the new album but no idea in what order etc. Loved the Wash opener, GTF, Corduroy, Red Mosi, Leatherman and not having to obsess over what rarity I just missed over the prior  few setlists.