*** SEATTLE 2 - 2024 SETLIST THREAD ***

Comments

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    TahoeJeff said:
    I remember reading an interview with Stone before the tour, and he specifically said that they would be playing a lot off of Dark Matter this tour
    and to be ready for it. 
    Yep, and Jeff said things were changing.  I’m baffled that fans missed these clear verbal statements.  Talk of change had been going on for at least 3 years.  
  • bootlegbootleg Posts: 675
    I think some of the expectations are built too high based on previous experiences.  Usually Seattle gets something a little extra, and usually the final shows of the leg get something a little extra so of course you start to hope for one of those all time epic shows. And while I don’t there was anything that pushed the shows into epic territory the shows were still good, the band sounded great and seemed to be enjoying themselves, and the crowds seemed to be into both the old and new material.  Normally I would hope for less hits, less Ten and more rarities, but with this being the first time seeing them in Seattle and after driving around and seeing the places where they first rehearsed, or played their first show etc it was kind of special hearing those songs in the place where they were born. 
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    ekwipt said:
    After seeing Wreckage performed the first 2 nights of the leg and again last night it still seems like that’s the 1 new one that isn’t connecting well with the crowd. 1/2 the diehards are into it but 1/2 aren’t and the normies seem really tuned out when it’s played. If that one could get good radio support I think the casual fans would really start to enjoy it and it would completely change the live experience of it. 
    It’s a very good, very catchy “adult contemporary” song. I don’t want to like it as much as I do, but it keeps burrowing into my brain. I agree that radio support (is that still a thing — radio?) should make this song very popular.
    Adult Album Alternative more than Adult Contemporary. I don't think many AC stations are playing it, but lots of Triple-A stations are.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Bruce Springsteen repeated 23 songs on the second night of his recent two-night stand in L.A. (out of 31). I don't think Pearl Jam needs to apologize for having nine repeats (out of 25), with eight of them being brand-new songs that no one had ever seen live as of four weeks ago.
    This is like if Pearl Jam played a full set of covers and I came in proclaiming "well Me First and The Gimme Gimmes do that!"
    I think we agree on this subject, but I need your analogy explained to me.
    ekwipt said:
    BF25394 said:
    Seattle used to be a special show. Maybe that's why they don't play their much anymore. Expectations are sky high since 2000. They didn't even get extra songs. Nail in the coffin on an era of special shows. 2000 to 2018 may you RIP. Was holding out hope Seattle would see something legendary again like the home shows (even if shorter).

Seems like a solid set, just Seattle expectations were for that little extra umph.
    I just saw this band ten times in 27 days. It was special all the way through. If you have lost perspective on that-- and especially if you're declaring that a show last night that you apparently didn't even attend wasn't special-- you need a reality check. On paper, last night's set list would not have stood out to me, but I can tell you that it was pretty awesome being there. For example, when I see "Rockin' in the Free World" on a set list, I imagine a routine performance of a song I've seen dozens of times. But that's not what I saw last night. Last night, I saw Stone killing it on his solo, I saw Jessica and Patti from Deep Sea Diver belting it out as they traded lines in the second verse, and Patti bouncing across that stage radiating energy from the first note to the final one. I saw Matt playing the tambourine like a damned fool while giving up his kit to DSD's drummer, all while Josh was banging away on his kit like a madman. It was freaking awesome, and if you told me before these shows that "RITFW" would be played a few times, I would have thought, "I'd prefer not." I would have been wrong.
    Patti was awesome during RITFW! I found it hard to watch the rest of the stage cuz she was putting so much energy out there. 
    She was having so much fun that you couldn't help but have fun watching her.
  • ekwiptekwipt Posts: 530
    TahoeJeff said:
    KS245363 said:
    ekwipt said:
    PJNB said:
    Seattle used to be a special show. Maybe that's why they don't play their much anymore. Expectations are sky high since 2000. They didn't even get extra songs. Nail in the coffin on an era of special shows. 2000 to 2018 may you RIP. Was holding out hope Seattle would see something legendary again like the home shows (even if shorter).

Seems like a solid set, just Seattle expectations were for that little extra umph.
    I would argue that Seattle in 2013, 2018 and 2024 aren't even in the contest for best setlist of that respective year.  (Again, purely talking about setlist, doesnt account for crowd, vibes etc.)

I think there is this expectation about Seattle shows that people have, which I have not really understood, since they haven't done anything "special" in Seattle since I have been following for 15 years or so.  

The only city that seems to get special treatment is Philly/Camden.  That city consistently gets special shows or has arguably the best setlist of the tour.  
    Seattle N2 2018 absolutely is in the talks with best set of that tour. 
    Not even a conversation imo. King that one. 
    Yeah, I was at N2 2018 and last night. That 2018 show was up there with the best concerts I've seen in my life from any band. It's by far my favorite PJ show. Will admit I went in last night hoping for something similar, but like others have said it was more of a standard show. But I do think there's something pretty amazing and different in the vibe due to the local connection. Like when the guys were all talking about their day jobs around Seattle before PJ took off, and how Jeff used to live like 100 yards away from the venue. There's deep history here obviously, and that seemed to come through from the crowd and the band. There were some really special moments last night and it was a super solid show but comparing it to N2 of the Home Shows isn't really giving it a fair shake. 
    Yeah, when Ed was talking about the old jobs they used to work, I was like “I know those places”. I didn’t know that Mike used to work at Piecoras. I used to go there for pizza years ago. Good spot. Or like when Ed was talking about how they are out there driving around in the cars next to you. It’s like, oh yeah. 
    We were next to Eddies family last night and when Ed said" maybe we cross with each other by driving our kids to school", Jill laughed and said to her daughter " yeah, like he drove you to school Lol"
    I think she also gave him shit at Ohana one year when he mentioned going to the grocery store; she was side stage wondering when Ed had gone grocery shopping. 🤣
    😂 To be fair I think Ed is way too famous to casually go to the store often in most parts of the world. He’s “attract the crazies” famous. I can’t imagine what it’s like trying to pick out some produce at a grocery store and have to worry about people grabbing at you and breaking down into an emotional mess at the mere sight of you. 
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    ekwipt said:
    TahoeJeff said:
    KS245363 said:
    ekwipt said:
    PJNB said:

I would argue that Seattle in 2013, 2018 and 2024 aren't even in the contest for best setlist of that respective year.  (Again, purely talking about setlist, doesnt account for crowd, vibes etc.)

I think there is this expectation about Seattle shows that people have, which I have not really understood, since they haven't done anything "special" in Seattle since I have been following for 15 years or so.  

The only city that seems to get special treatment is Philly/Camden.  That city consistently gets special shows or has arguably the best setlist of the tour.  
    Yeah, I was at N2 2018 and last night. That 2018 show was up there with the best concerts I've seen in my life from any band. It's by far my favorite PJ show. Will admit I went in last night hoping for something similar, but like others have said it was more of a standard show. But I do think there's something pretty amazing and different in the vibe due to the local connection. Like when the guys were all talking about their day jobs around Seattle before PJ took off, and how Jeff used to live like 100 yards away from the venue. There's deep history here obviously, and that seemed to come through from the crowd and the band. There were some really special moments last night and it was a super solid show but comparing it to N2 of the Home Shows isn't really giving it a fair shake. 
    Yeah, when Ed was talking about the old jobs they used to work, I was like “I know those places”. I didn’t know that Mike used to work at Piecoras. I used to go there for pizza years ago. Good spot. Or like when Ed was talking about how they are out there driving around in the cars next to you. It’s like, oh yeah. 
    We were next to Eddies family last night and when Ed said" maybe we cross with each other by driving our kids to school", Jill laughed and said to her daughter " yeah, like he drove you to school Lol"
    I think she also gave him shit at Ohana one year when he mentioned going to the grocery store; she was side stage wondering when Ed had gone grocery shopping. 🤣
    😂 To be fair I think Ed is way too famous to casually go to the store often in most parts of the world. He’s “attract the crazies” famous. I can’t imagine what it’s like trying to pick out some produce at a grocery store and have to worry about people grabbing at you and breaking down into an emotional mess at the mere sight of you. 
    He's definitely at regular stores and businesses.  See him and the fam around quite a bit actually!
    NERDS!
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,190
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Bruce Springsteen repeated 23 songs on the second night of his recent two-night stand in L.A. (out of 31). I don't think Pearl Jam needs to apologize for having nine repeats (out of 25), with eight of them being brand-new songs that no one had ever seen live as of four weeks ago.
    This is like if Pearl Jam played a full set of covers and I came in proclaiming "well Me First and The Gimme Gimmes do that!"
    I think the setlist issue is more comparing "what Pearl Jam is doing now vs what they've done the last 25 years" than "what Pearl Jam is doing now vs what other bands do."

Sure Bruce or U2 keep setlists standard. Pearl Jam never did that. I don't like seeing them move in that direction even though Bruce and U2 do that.

Me First and The Gimme Gimmes play all covers. Pearl Jam doesn't do that. I would not like to see them move in that direction even though Me First do that.
  • Seattle used to be a special show. Maybe that's why they don't play their much anymore. Expectations are sky high since 2000. They didn't even get extra songs. Nail in the coffin on an era of special shows. 2000 to 2018 may you RIP. Was holding out hope Seattle would see something legendary again like the home shows (even if shorter).

No one is mentioning it, but what about the Gorge shows from 2005-2006?

September 1st, 2005 Gorge show is my favorite of the 4 shows I've seen by far, 36 songs deep.

Home show 2 from 2018 was close, but the set list of 05 Gorge was sublime and no one is mentioning that in this "Seattle shows" conversation.

Last night, the 30th of May was good, I don't want to hate at all, the energy was great, it was a mix of the new stuff, the singles, and a few deep cuts - I hadn't seen Come Back or Inside Job live before and Hurt was a total curveball. 

Going from 36 songs at both Gorge 05 and night 2 Home show of 2018 to 25 last night... I can't rate last night as highly.

I wonder if they won't bring an opener if they'll do a super long set again - both of the above referenced shows didn't have an opening act (they did an acoustic set at the Gorge)
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,980
    BF25394 said:
    ekwipt said:
    After seeing Wreckage performed the first 2 nights of the leg and again last night it still seems like that’s the 1 new one that isn’t connecting well with the crowd. 1/2 the diehards are into it but 1/2 aren’t and the normies seem really tuned out when it’s played. If that one could get good radio support I think the casual fans would really start to enjoy it and it would completely change the live experience of it. 
    It’s a very good, very catchy “adult contemporary” song. I don’t want to like it as much as I do, but it keeps burrowing into my brain. I agree that radio support (is that still a thing — radio?) should make this song very popular.
    Adult Album Alternative more than Adult Contemporary. I don't think many AC stations are playing it, but lots of Triple-A stations are.
    Fair enough; I don’t think I’ve listened to radio outside of Sirius XM in a decade, but AAA makes sense.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.

September 1st, 2005 Gorge show is my favorite of the 4 shows I've seen by far, 36 songs deep.

Home show 2 from 2018 was close, but the set list of 05 Gorge was sublime and no one is mentioning that in this "Seattle shows" conversation.

Last night, the 30th of May was good, I don't want to hate at all, the energy was great, it was a mix of the new stuff, the singles, and a few deep cuts - I hadn't seen Come Back or Inside Job live before and Hurt was a total curveball. 

Going from 36 songs at both Gorge 05 and night 2 Home show of 2018 to 25 last night... I can't rate last night as highly.

I wonder if they won't bring an opener if they'll do a super long set again - both of the above referenced shows didn't have an opening act (they did an acoustic set at the Gorge)
    Definitely epic shows at the Gorge. A nice one in Spokane too that people forget about. 
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,826

I wouldn’t group the Gorge with Seattle proper

The Gorge and the Sphere are my two no-budget shows.  An all hits show at the Gorge would be epic based on the venue alone.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
    ekwipt said:
    TahoeJeff said:
    KS245363 said:
    ekwipt said:
    PJNB said:

He's definitely at regular stores and businesses.  See him and the fam around quite a bit actually!
    Glad to hear this! Some of the footage I’ve seen of ultra ravenous fans waiting outside the venues for him for hours makes me cringe. 
  • ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,282

I think regarding the super lengthy setlists pre-2021/2022, that may be unlikely just because of them most likely picked the shorter set lengths so they can pace themselves more and keeping the stamina up - Ed in particular.  I think the current set lengths will be pretty much what we get for shows that are a part of a normal tour leg, and are not advertised as any more of a special show than another given show that tour

I could see a more 30+ lengthy set happening if they did another PJ20-type of one-off special celebration though!
    I think 25 is a good number if they were limiting the number of repeated songs in two city shows to 3-4.  I think it’s only when 9 songs are repeated that 25 feels thinner.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    TahoeJeff said:
    KS245363 said:
    ekwipt said:
    PJNB said:

Hilarious!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • GhostChileGhostChile Posts: 1,140
    i believe the repeated songs and the order of them is more about a technical stuff like the visuals, lights, etc
    Mexico City 17/7/2003 Mexico City 18/7/2003 Mexico City 19/7/2003 Santiago Chile 22/11/2005 Santiago Chile 23/11/2005 Buenos Aires Argentina 13/11/2011 Santiago Chile 16/11/2011 Lima Perú 18/11/2011 Sao Paulo Brasil 31/3/2013 Buenos Aires Argentina 03/4/2013 Santiago Chile 06/5/2013 Santiago Chile 4/11/2015 Buenos Aires Argentina 7/11/2015 Porto Alegre Brasil 11/11/2015 Sao Paulo Brasil 14/11/2015 Brasilia Brasil 17/11/2015 Belo Horizonte Brasil 20/11/2015 Rio de Janeiro Brasil 22/11/2015 Bogota Colombia 25/11/2015 Mexico City 28/11/2015 Ft. Lauderdale, FL 8/4/2016 Miami, FL 9/4/2016 Tampa, FL 11/4/2016 Santiago Chile 13/3/2018 Santiago Chile 16/3/2018 Rome Italy 26/6/2018 Prague Czech Republic 1/7/2018 Krakow Poland 3/7/2018 Berlin Germany 5/7/2018 Barcelona Spain 10/7/2018 Dana Point, CA 1/10/2021 Dana Point, CA 2/10/2021 Seattle, WA 28/05/2024 Seattle, WA 30/05/2024
  • danofundanofun Posts: 987
    i believe the repeated songs and the order of them is more about a technical stuff like the visuals, lights, etc
    Completely agree with the visuals. It’s unlike any previous PJ tour. Plus, a tour promoting an album is a completely different tour. 

My biggest takeaway is the excitement and energy they brought to the new material. The state of this union is strong! I don’t want to wish away the summer, but the east coast dates cannot come soon enough! Cheers!
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 9,016
    ekwipt said:
    ekwipt said:
    TahoeJeff said:
    KS245363 said:
    ekwipt said:
    PJNB said:

Glad to hear this! Some of the footage I’ve seen of ultra ravenous fans waiting outside the venues for him for hours makes me cringe. 
    Sorry
  • Seattle used to be a special show. Maybe that's why they don't play their much anymore. Expectations are sky high since 2000. They didn't even get extra songs. Nail in the coffin on an era of special shows. 2000 to 2018 may you RIP. Was holding out hope Seattle would see something legendary again like the home shows (even if shorter).

I think regarding the super lengthy setlists pre-2021/2022, that may be unlikely just because of them most likely picked the shorter set lengths so they can pace themselves more and keeping the stamina up - Ed in particular.  I think the current set lengths will be pretty much what we get for shows that are a part of a normal tour leg, and are not advertised as any more of a special show than another given show that tour

I could see a more 30+ lengthy set happening if they did another PJ20-type of one-off special celebration though!
    Agreed - this show was closer in length to the Backspacer Seattle date (27 songs and 7 songs off the new album) - I'm lucky that out of my 4 shows, 2 were super epic long form ones and 2 have been album ones.

After the Gorge show being the first, all others have paled a bit 
    That’s possible but a little unfortunate if it dictates the set.  I paid attention to the visuals a little on night 1 because I was on the floor and it was easier see the screens sometimes.  But night 2 I was on the side and didn’t pay attention to the visuals once because I had a clear view of the whole band and would much rather watch them.  Plus I liked when the screens showed footage of the band more than the visuals and to be fair it was the band who conditioned me to be this way after not having visuals for 30+ years.
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    I think the setlist issue is more comparing "what Pearl Jam is doing now vs what they've done the last 25 years" than "what Pearl Jam is doing now vs what other bands do."

Sure Bruce or U2 keep setlists standard. Pearl Jam never did that. I don't like seeing them move in that direction even though Bruce and U2 do that.

Me First and The Gimme Gimmes play all covers. Pearl Jam doesn't do that. I would not like to see them move in that direction even though Me First do that.
    But I don't think Pearl Jam is really doing that. Almost all of the repetition is due to the Dark Matter tracks, which are brand-new. People should be able to expect that a band touring behind a new album will be emphasizing that album. They played nearly 100 unique songs over ten proper shows. They played over 100 unique songs across the eight shows of 2023. They are not really pulling back on variety.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,529
    I've bitched about setlists before but I'm done. I've also complained about cover songs with the shorter sets. 

We need to be happy they are still out there. It won't be forever and likely just a few more years. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    ekwipt said:
    TahoeJeff said:
    KS245363 said:
    ekwipt said:
    PJNB said:

I saw Chris Cornell at a Ralphs (that's a supermarket) up the street from where I lived several years ago. This was a guy who further stood out because of his height. You have to remember that as iconic as someone like Eddie (or Chris) is to us, they're still mostly unknown to most people, or at least not instantly recognizable. Not to mention that it isn't 1994 anymore. In Seattle, neither my Airbnb host nor the girl working the front desk at the gym had heard of Pearl Jam. In Seattle.
    Loujoe said:
    ekwipt said:
    ekwipt said:
    TahoeJeff said:
    KS245363 said:
    ekwipt said:
    PJNB said:

Sorry
    🤣 I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you’re one of the well behaved ones in the vids. 
  • TahoeJeffTahoeJeff Posts: 30
    lolololol That is funny. That said, he's not wrong. While Seattle may be a city, it can still feel small. They are out and about if you are looking. I ran into Ed last year in the stairwell at T-Mobile Park. I said hello, and that it was good to see him. Gave a fist bump and I said have a good night. My roommate and I also ran into Mike at a a Mariners game once. 
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:

But I don't think Pearl Jam is really doing that. Almost all of the repetition is due to the Dark Matter tracks, which are brand-new. People should be able to expect that a band touring behind a new album will be emphasizing that album. They played nearly 100 unique songs over ten proper shows. They played over 100 unique songs across the eight shows of 2023. They are not really pulling back on variety.
    Definitely no complaints here. I caught 3 shows, saw all 11 Dark Matter songs, 2 covers I’d never seen and 9 other PJ originals I’d never seen. Not too shabby. 
    BF25394 said:
    ekwipt said:
    TahoeJeff said:
    KS245363 said:
    ekwipt said:
    PJNB said:

I saw Chris Cornell at a Ralphs (that's a supermarket) up the street from where I lived several years ago. This was a guy who further stood out because of his height. You have to remember that as iconic as someone like Eddie (or Chris) is to us, they're still mostly unknown to most people, or at least not instantly recognizable. Not to mention that it isn't 1994 anymore. In Seattle, neither my Airbnb host nor the girl working the front desk at the gym had heard of Pearl Jam. In Seattle.
    Yes much of the world has moved on. It is some of “us” who are the crazy ones 🤣 
    I say this (mostly) in jest. Did I see someone holding Ed’s arm and not letting go when he wanted to get back to the stage last night 👀 😆 
  • KS245363KS245363 Posts: 20
    In retrospect, I thought it was interesting how the trippy visuals weren’t happening with every song. They seemed more geared towards the DM stuff (was it the same visuals from the movie theater album run?) Some songs they didn’t have many visuals if any at all. It didn’t matter too much to me (usually close my eyes during the songs anyways) but I did feel like it created sort of an uneven viewing experience where it was tough to get fully immersed in the band/screens dynamic. 
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    ekwipt said:
    BF25394 said:
    ekwipt said:
    TahoeJeff said:
    KS245363 said:
    ekwipt said:
    PJNB said:

Yes much of the world has moved on. It is some of “us” who are the crazy ones 🤣 
    I say this (mostly) in jest. Did I see someone holding Ed’s arm and not letting go when he wanted to get back to the stage last night 👀 😆 
    It’s not that the world moved on it’s that they probably weren’t even born yet!