*** SEATTLE 2 - 2024 SETLIST THREAD ***

Comments

• Zen23Zen23 Posts: 453
    I'm just bitching at your bitching. I bitch therefore I am.
    Sounds like a cool vocal line.
  • Charlie_modCharlie_mod Posts: 136
    Go Animal said:
    vito said:
    This makes me miss Sleater-Kinney  :blush:
    🎸
    No Janet, no dice.
    🔥🔥🔥
  • ekwiptekwipt Posts: 530
    Always night 2..that's the rule 
    Home Shows Seattle N2 was my favorite ever.
    That was an amazing night. 
    The greatest. I’ve found the people who disagree weren’t there 😝

Last night was great! Thankful I finally got to see Stevie and complete Dark Matter. In My Tree was the highlight for me. Only went to Van1&2 and Sea2 so setlist wise last night was probably the top of the three. Van1 was my fav though because of being the first to see the new stuff and still being blissfuly ignorant of the setlist formula that would follow that show. 
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,415
    edited May 31
    Seattle used to be a special show. Maybe that's why they don't play their much anymore. Expectations are sky high since 2000. They didn't even get extra songs. Nail in the coffin on an era of special shows. 2000 to 2018 may you RIP. Was holding out hope Seattle would see something legendary again like the home shows (even if shorter).

Seems like a solid set, just Seattle expectations were for that little extra umph.
    Post edited by jimjam1982 on
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,826
    edited May 31
    Seattle used to be a special show. Maybe that's why they don't play their much anymore. Expectations are sky high since 2000. They didn't even get extra songs. Nail in the coffin on an era of special shows. 2000 to 2018 may you RIP. Was holding out hope Seattle would see something legendary again like the home shows (even if shorter).

Seems like a solid set, just Seattle expectations were for that little extra umph.
    I would argue that Seattle in 2013, 2018 and 2024 aren't even in the contest for best setlist of that respective year.  (Again, purely talking about setlist, doesnt account for crowd, vibes etc.)

I think there is this expectation about Seattle shows that people have, which I have not really understood, since they haven't done anything "special" in Seattle since I have been following for 15 years or so.  

The only city that seems to get special treatment is Philly/Camden.  That city consistently gets special shows or has arguably the best setlist of the tour.  
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore

I would argue that Seattle in 2013, 2018 and 2024 aren't even in the contest for best setlist of that respective year.  (Again, purely talking about setlist, doesnt account for crowd, vibes etc.)

I think there is this expectation about Seattle shows that people have, which I have not really understood, since they haven't done anything "special" in Seattle since I have been following for 15 years or so.  

The only city that seems to get special treatment is Philly/Camden.  That city consistently gets special shows or has arguably the best setlist of the tour.  
    Which 2018 setlist do you like better than the 37 song epic Seattle 2? 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429

Seattle N2 2018 absolutely is in the talks with best set of that tour. 
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,415
    ekwipt said:

Not to mention bringing out multiple guests on stage and adding fun to it.
    PJNB said:

Not even a conversation imo. King that one. 
    ekwipt said:

Not to mention bringing out multiple guests on stage and adding fun to it.
    Bingo 👆. Debate is whether it was the best all time, not the best of 2018. And as I said above, the naysayers always seem to have missed that show 😏
  • Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 315
    Great energy last night.  The setlist was not top tier, but it featured just enough nuggets to make me content.  Black as the opener was absolutely epic.  The fuse was lit by that opener.  Pilate wasn’t one I wanted to hear, but it was awesome.  Ed’s speech was poignant and spot on, but too long.  No DTE or Even Flow as well.  

Van N2 was slightly better IMO, but last night was great.  I know the band feels extra pressure playing at home.  They continue to sound great, and my favorite part of the night was watching Stone, by himself on his side absolutely grooving and looking like he was having an absolute blast.

Already thinking about Ruoff….
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Seattle 5-30-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • TahoeJeffTahoeJeff Posts: 30
    I remember reading an interview with Stone before the tour, and he specifically said that they would be playing a lot off of Dark Matter this tour
    and to be ready for it. 
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    edited May 31

I just saw this band ten times in 27 days. It was special all the way through. If you have lost perspective on that-- and especially if you're declaring that a show last night that you apparently didn't even attend wasn't special-- you need a reality check. On paper, last night's set list would not have stood out to me, but I can tell you that it was pretty awesome being there. For example, when I see "Rockin' in the Free World" on a set list, I imagine a routine performance of a song I've seen dozens of times. But that's not what I saw last night. Last night, I saw Stone killing it on his solo, I saw Jessica and Patti from Deep Sea Diver belting it out as they traded lines in the second verse, and Patti bouncing across that stage radiating energy from the first note to the final one. I saw Matt playing the tambourine like a damned fool while giving up his kit to DSD's drummer, all while Josh was banging away on his kit like a madman. It was freaking awesome, and if you told me before these shows that "RITFW" would be played a few times, I would have thought, "I'd prefer not." I would have been wrong.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • BH76306BH76306 Posts: 98
    BF25394 said:

I just saw this band ten times in 27 days. It was special all the way through. If you have lost perspective on that-- and especially if you're declaring that a show last night that you apparently didn't even attend wasn't special-- you need a reality check. On paper, last night's set list would not have stood out to me, but I can tell you that it was pretty awesome being there. For example, when I see "Rockin' in the Free World" on a set list, I imagine a routine performance of a song I've seen dozens of times. But that's not what I saw last night. Last night, I saw Stone killing it on his solo, I saw Jessica and Patti from Deep Sea Diver belting it out as they traded lines in the second verse, and Patti bouncing across that stage radiating energy from the first note to the final one. I saw Matt playing the tambourine like a damned fool while giving up his kit to DSD's drummer, all while Josh was banging away on his kit like a madman. It was freaking awesome, and if you told me before these shows that "RITFW" would be played a few times, I would have thought, "I'd prefer not." I would have been wrong.
    Yes! Well said, 100% agree. RITFW was pure joy last night. 
  • KS245363KS245363 Posts: 20
    ekwipt said:
    PJNB said:

Yeah, I was at N2 2018 and last night. That 2018 show was up there with the best concerts I've seen in my life from any band. It's by far my favorite PJ show. Will admit I went in last night hoping for something similar, but like others have said it was more of a standard show. But I do think there's something pretty amazing and different in the vibe due to the local connection. Like when the guys were all talking about their day jobs around Seattle before PJ took off, and how Jeff used to live like 100 yards away from the venue. There's deep history here obviously, and that seemed to come through from the crowd and the band. There were some really special moments last night and it was a super solid show but comparing it to N2 of the Home Shows isn't really giving it a fair shake. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,704
    BH76306 said:
    BF25394 said:

Yes! Well said, 100% agree. RITFW was pure joy last night. 
    Funny story - last year when Inhaler opened Ed called them out on stage during RITFW. I was up front in the pit and heard Ed tell Bono's son to grab a mike and sing with him. Bono's son said, "I don't know this song" :o

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 9,017
    Funny^^^
  • TahoeJeffTahoeJeff Posts: 30
    KS245363 said:
    ekwipt said:
    PJNB said:

Yeah, I was at N2 2018 and last night. That 2018 show was up there with the best concerts I've seen in my life from any band. It's by far my favorite PJ show. Will admit I went in last night hoping for something similar, but like others have said it was more of a standard show. But I do think there's something pretty amazing and different in the vibe due to the local connection. Like when the guys were all talking about their day jobs around Seattle before PJ took off, and how Jeff used to live like 100 yards away from the venue. There's deep history here obviously, and that seemed to come through from the crowd and the band. There were some really special moments last night and it was a super solid show but comparing it to N2 of the Home Shows isn't really giving it a fair shake. 
    Yeah, when Ed was talking about the old jobs they used to work, I was like “I know those places”. I didn’t know that Mike used to work at Piecoras. I used to go there for pizza years ago. Good spot. Or like when Ed was talking about how they are out there driving around in the cars next to you. It’s like, oh yeah. 
  • GhostChileGhostChile Posts: 1,140
    TahoeJeff said:
    KS245363 said:
    ekwipt said:
    PJNB said:

Yeah, when Ed was talking about the old jobs they used to work, I was like “I know those places”. I didn’t know that Mike used to work at Piecoras. I used to go there for pizza years ago. Good spot. Or like when Ed was talking about how they are out there driving around in the cars next to you. It’s like, oh yeah. 
    We were next to Eddies family last night and when Ed said" maybe we cross with each other by driving our kids to school", Jill laughed and said to her daughter " yeah, like he drove you to school Lol"
    Mexico City 17/7/2003 Mexico City 18/7/2003 Mexico City 19/7/2003 Santiago Chile 22/11/2005 Santiago Chile 23/11/2005 Buenos Aires Argentina 13/11/2011 Santiago Chile 16/11/2011 Lima Perú 18/11/2011 Sao Paulo Brasil 31/3/2013 Buenos Aires Argentina 03/4/2013 Santiago Chile 06/5/2013 Santiago Chile 4/11/2015 Buenos Aires Argentina 7/11/2015 Porto Alegre Brasil 11/11/2015 Sao Paulo Brasil 14/11/2015 Brasilia Brasil 17/11/2015 Belo Horizonte Brasil 20/11/2015 Rio de Janeiro Brasil 22/11/2015 Bogota Colombia 25/11/2015 Mexico City 28/11/2015 Ft. Lauderdale, FL 8/4/2016 Miami, FL 9/4/2016 Tampa, FL 11/4/2016 Santiago Chile 13/3/2018 Santiago Chile 16/3/2018 Rome Italy 26/6/2018 Prague Czech Republic 1/7/2018 Krakow Poland 3/7/2018 Berlin Germany 5/7/2018 Barcelona Spain 10/7/2018 Dana Point, CA 1/10/2021 Dana Point, CA 2/10/2021 Seattle, WA 28/05/2024 Seattle, WA 30/05/2024
  • KS245363KS245363 Posts: 20
    TahoeJeff said:
    KS245363 said:
    ekwipt said:
    PJNB said:

We were next to Eddies family last night and when Ed said" maybe we cross with each other by driving our kids to school", Jill laughed and said to her daughter " yeah, like he drove you to school Lol"
    😂 😂😂
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,980
    TahoeJeff said:
    KS245363 said:
    ekwipt said:
    PJNB said:

I think she also gave him shit at Ohana one year when he mentioned going to the grocery store; she was side stage wondering when Ed had gone grocery shopping. 🤣
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    So I saw seven shows on this leg and I thought they all were great. Yes, even with lots of DM — my only quibble there is that they virtually ignored Got to Give!

They sound great, they have a ton of energy, and most of all they seem genuinely excited to be out playing for us. I’m exhausted and now camped in a hospital waiting room on two hours of sleep and I have zero regrets.

Also: Seattle 2 2018 was, I’d argue, one of the best rock concerts ever — period. I’m still recovering from that one.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    KS245363 said:
    ekwipt said:
    PJNB said:

100%. Two totally different animals. I don’t really expect I’ll ever see a better show than Sea N2 2018 for the rest of my life. 
    BF25394 said:

Patti was awesome during RITFW! I found it hard to watch the rest of the stage cuz she was putting so much energy out there. 
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    edited May 31

For the record, the 2000 shows were generally 2-2.5 hours long. Most closer to 2 hours and a large batch of songs that were played at most shows. 

On another note, I’ve seen 23 Pearl Jam shows, and the longest one, which was over 3.5 hours, was easily in the bottom 5, maybe even bottom 2 of shows I’ve attended. Halloween at the Spectrum is the show I’m referring to. Longer isn’t always better, just like deep cuts aren’t always better.

Also, while they didn’t get more songs, the show last night was in fact the longest of the tour to this point. 
    Post edited by Lifted on
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,190
    It seems like fanboy privilege to bitch about the repeats and the "order" of them and somehow being disappointed.

Stay fucking home if you can't take it. Go to one show.  
    I mean yeah. That's what we're saying. Or at least that's what I'm saying.
    BF25394 said:
    Bruce Springsteen repeated 23 songs on the second night of his recent two-night stand in L.A. (out of 31). I don't think Pearl Jam needs to apologize for having nine repeats (out of 25), with eight of them being brand-new songs that no one had ever seen live as of four weeks ago.
    This is like if Pearl Jam played a full set of covers and I came in proclaiming "well Me First and The Gimme Gimmes do that!"
    Zen23 said:
    It seems like fanboy privilege to bitch about the repeats and the "order" of them and somehow being disappointed.

Stay fucking home if you can't take it. Go to one show.  
    So I have - as far as I can look at it objectively and calmly - expressed an opinion. The bitching in this case - how could it be otherwise - once again comes from those who accuse others of bitching. Strong language, accusations and orders to individuals are the typical behavior patterns of bitchers in the wild. Yep, that fits. I'd say we've got a direct hit.

I have learned that nothing will get someone to yell fuck at you faster than voicing displeasure at the current state of setlist structure
    After seeing Wreckage performed the first 2 nights of the leg and again last night it still seems like that’s the 1 new one that isn’t connecting well with the crowd. 1/2 the diehards are into it but 1/2 aren’t and the normies seem really tuned out when it’s played. If that one could get good radio support I think the casual fans would really start to enjoy it and it would completely change the live experience of it. 
    ekwipt said:
    After seeing Wreckage performed the first 2 nights of the leg and again last night it still seems like that’s the 1 new one that isn’t connecting well with the crowd. 1/2 the diehards are into it but 1/2 aren’t and the normies seem really tuned out when it’s played. If that one could get good radio support I think the casual fans would really start to enjoy it and it would completely change the live experience of it. 
    It’s a very good, very catchy “adult contemporary” song. I don’t want to like it as much as I do, but it keeps burrowing into my brain. I agree that radio support (is that still a thing — radio?) should make this song very popular.