Options

Why aren't "Got To Give" lyrics included?

13»

Comments

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,811
    quartered said:
    Major snoozefest! 

Spunkie is likely 12-years-old and it's not clear to me that BF25394 knows how language works, so...

However, lastexitlondon has made a real leap - the one that Ed wishes had not led the character in Comes then Goes is none other than Vicky Cornell! This is not rocket science. I apologize, so sorry, about the sarcasm...
    I have to admit that I sort of admire your outsized confidence despite having so little insight about art or people.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 525
    edited May 21
    BF25394 said:
    quartered said:
    Major snoozefest! 

Spunkie is likely 12-years-old and it's not clear to me that BF25394 knows how language works, so...

However, lastexitlondon has made a real leap - the one that Ed wishes had not led the character in Comes then Goes is none other than Vicky Cornell! This is not rocket science. I apologize, so sorry, about the sarcasm...
    I have to admit that I sort of admire your outsized confidence despite having so little insight about art or people.
    Ah, there's @quartered.  Got to understand him, and KNOW HIS RIGHTS, when following the song wishlist for Portland :giggle:
    Glad to see that he has recovered from HIS RIGHTS after the show :lol:
    Post edited by MikeDigs on
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,720
    I have no actual knowledge what the songs are about, but I do have some vague memory of reading that Get it Back is about Chris Cornell. Can anyone corroborate that for me?
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,177
    BF25394 said:
    Spunkie said:
    BF25394 said:
    Spunkie said:
    BF25394 said:
    quartered said:
    Are all of you morons?

It's about he and his wife, which he also references at the end of Upper Hand (goes from 'just need a few of you' - i.e., his wife and two daughters to 'maybe just the two of you' - only his two daughters) and Setting Sun (which is all about he and his wife). He doesn't want to be too overt about what he's alluding to in Got to Give (although Setting Sun is pretty direct, so not sure about that), but it's clear (although I guess you could argue it could be about any of his past relationships, but seems unlikely) there are four (well five - the daughters are kind of rolled up in one) main characters in the album - Chris Cornell, Trump, Ed's wife, Ed's daughters, then one for Jeff's wife (Won't Tell), and the whole Seattle scene remnants (Wreckage).
    You're projecting a lot onto all of these songs. "Won't Tell" is about a dream that Jeff had about Joni Mitchell and Neil Young, not Jeff's wife. And sometimes, as in "Waiting for Stevie," Ed just invents characters and stories. Don't assume that these songs are autobiographical, other than "Something Special," which Ed has talked about. I don't hear "Wreckage" as being about Seattle; I hear it as being about America in a divided time, trying to figure a way out of the morass we've been in since Trump came down the escalator nine years ago and took our public discourse and politics to new lows.

Do you believe U2s vertigo video, too?
    Refresh my memory. Isn't that the one where they're in silhouette? What about the video are you referencing?
    The make up a bunch of stories about where the song supposedly came from.
    Well, everyone should have been warned that they were dealing with an unreliable narrator when Bono skipped cuatro through trece when counting off at the start of the song.
    Bono did that on purpose. Something about an old producer coming back for their 14th album or something. It’s been a while since I read the interview. I know he took a lot of shit for it, but it seems it was on purpose. 
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 675
    yosi said:
    I have no actual knowledge what the songs are about, but I do have some vague memory of reading that Get it Back is about Chris Cornell. Can anyone corroborate that for me?
    I thought it was too. I also thought maybe Matt wrote the lyrics (he definitely wrote the music) but I can’t find anything confirming or denying that now
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,720
    kmcmanus said:
    yosi said:
    I thought it was too. I also thought maybe Matt wrote the lyrics (he definitely wrote the music) but I can’t find anything confirming or denying that now
    I’m fairly certain Matt wrote the lyrics because he had a demo of the song on his Instagram including vocals.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,811
    BF25394 said:
    Spunkie said:
    BF25394 said:
    Spunkie said:
    BF25394 said:
    quartered said:
    Are all of you morons?

It's about he and his wife, which he also references at the end of Upper Hand (goes from 'just need a few of you' - i.e., his wife and two daughters to 'maybe just the two of you' - only his two daughters) and Setting Sun (which is all about he and his wife). He doesn't want to be too overt about what he's alluding to in Got to Give (although Setting Sun is pretty direct, so not sure about that), but it's clear (although I guess you could argue it could be about any of his past relationships, but seems unlikely) there are four (well five - the daughters are kind of rolled up in one) main characters in the album - Chris Cornell, Trump, Ed's wife, Ed's daughters, then one for Jeff's wife (Won't Tell), and the whole Seattle scene remnants (Wreckage).
    You're projecting a lot onto all of these songs. "Won't Tell" is about a dream that Jeff had about Joni Mitchell and Neil Young, not Jeff's wife. And sometimes, as in "Waiting for Stevie," Ed just invents characters and stories. Don't assume that these songs are autobiographical, other than "Something Special," which Ed has talked about. I don't hear "Wreckage" as being about Seattle; I hear it as being about America in a divided time, trying to figure a way out of the morass we've been in since Trump came down the escalator nine years ago and took our public discourse and politics to new lows.

Refresh my memory. Isn't that the one where they're in silhouette? What about the video are you referencing?
    Well, everyone should have been warned that they were dealing with an unreliable narrator when Bono skipped cuatro through trece when counting off at the start of the song.
    Bono did that on purpose. Something about an old producer coming back for their 14th album or something. It’s been a while since I read the interview. I know he took a lot of shit for it, but it seems it was on purpose. 
    I had my tongue firmly planted in cheek there. I did not actually think Bono does not know how to count to four in Spanish.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,177
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Spunkie said:
    BF25394 said:
    Spunkie said:
    BF25394 said:
    quartered said:
    Are all of you morons?

I had my tongue firmly planted in cheek there. I did not actually think Bono does not know how to count to four in Spanish.
    Ah, gotcha. Hard to tell on these here interwebs!
  • Options
    quarteredquartered Posts: 118
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    quartered said:
    Major snoozefest! 

Ah, there's @quartered.  Got to understand him, and KNOW HIS RIGHTS, when following the song wishlist for Portland :giggle:
    Glad to see that he has recovered from HIS RIGHTS after the show :lol:
    You, my friend, are a scholar and a gentleman!
  • Options
    quarteredquartered Posts: 118
    Since all of you gave up, I win - thanks for playing! KNOW MY RIGHTS!!!
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,951
    It's my least favorite song off Dark Matter but I still enjoy it a lot- nothing even close to a dud on this album!
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17