Options

Why aren't "Got To Give" lyrics included?

Comments

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,815
    quartered said:
    Are all of you morons?

It's about he and his wife, which he also references at the end of Upper Hand (goes from 'just need a few of you' - i.e., his wife and two daughters to 'maybe just the two of you' - only his two daughters) and Setting Sun (which is all about he and his wife). He doesn't want to be too overt about what he's alluding to in Got to Give (although Setting Sun is pretty direct, so not sure about that), but it's clear (although I guess you could argue it could be about any of his past relationships, but seems unlikely) there are four (well five - the daughters are kind of rolled up in one) main characters in the album - Chris Cornell, Trump, Ed's wife, Ed's daughters, then one for Jeff's wife (Won't Tell), and the whole Seattle scene remnants (Wreckage).
    You're projecting a lot onto all of these songs. "Won't Tell" is about a dream that Jeff had about Joni Mitchell and Neil Young, not Jeff's wife. And sometimes, as in "Waiting for Stevie," Ed just invents characters and stories. Don't assume that these songs are autobiographical, other than "Something Special," which Ed has talked about. I don't hear "Wreckage" as being about Seattle; I hear it as being about America in a divided time, trying to figure a way out of the morass we've been in since Trump came down the escalator nine years ago and took our public discourse and politics to new lows.

I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,444
    edited May 19
    quartered said:
    Are all of you morons?

It's about he and his wife, which he also references at the end of Upper Hand (goes from 'just need a few of you' - i.e., his wife and two daughters to 'maybe just the two of you' - only his two daughters) and Setting Sun (which is all about he and his wife). He doesn't want to be too overt about what he's alluding to in Got to Give (although Setting Sun is pretty direct, so not sure about that), but it's clear (although I guess you could argue it could be about any of his past relationships, but seems unlikely) there are four (well five - the daughters are kind of rolled up in one) main characters in the album - Chris Cornell, Trump, Ed's wife, Ed's daughters, then one for Jeff's wife (Won't Tell), and the whole Seattle scene remnants (Wreckage).
    We know roughly 0,5% of these peoples lives. A small sliver that is being shown or told publically. 

And I argue the moron is the one who is cramming every line and thought of these people into that 0,5% known. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,725
    edited May 18
    quartered said:
    Are all of you morons?

Jeeze...calling people morons for, who knows what, and then pretty much creating your own narrative for someone else's art and stating it as fact.

I will not speculate on what these songs mean to Ed, but I will say that the words are beautifully written throughout the album and touch on universal themes that virtually any adult could relate to. Lyrically, i think this album is right there with No Code for the strongest in the PJ catalog. People were calling this a divorce album when it came out, which I didn't really get....and 50+ SPINS (pun intended) later, I still don't.

Lastly, why do so many people on this board want so desperately to believe that every song is about Chris Cornell? More than likely, none of these songs are about him. 
    Post edited by Lifted on
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,501
    KV4053 said:
    quartered said:
    OK, sorry about the morons comment. But really...
    Thank you. I initially took similar meanings from the lyrics as you did. But I don't really know.

Ed has very rarely written personal lyrics with some notable exceptions such as the mamasan trilogy and elderly woman.

In retrospect, I think I was just projecting my own experiences on the lyrics. 

I have since revised my thoughts on the lyrics. I now believe that Dark Matter is a concept album, at least lyrically. All of the lyrics are clearly about relationships of some kind. But, the more I listen/read them, I'm less certain that they are personal. 
    Well, I'm watching the Bill Simmons podcast with Ed and Jeff and Ed clearly says that it's not a concept album so I guess I'll give up that idea.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 4,013
    Stream the album on Apple Music and you get the lyrics. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    quarteredquartered Posts: 118
    Lifted said:
    quartered said:
    Are all of you morons?

Jeeze...calling people morons for, who knows what, and then pretty much creating your own narrative for someone else's art and stating it as fact.

I will not speculate on what these songs mean to Ed, but I will say that the words are beautifully written throughout the album and touch on universal themes that virtually any adult could relate to. Lyrically, i think this album is right there with No Code for the strongest in the PJ catalog. People were calling this a divorce album when it came out, which I didn't really get....and 50+ SPINS (pun intended) later, I still don't.

Lastly, why do so many people on this board want so desperately to believe that every song is about Chris Cornell? More than likely, none of these songs are about him. 
    All I wanted was to call someone a Moron - and then I went looking for a reason. Can't you do that anymore? WHY SO SENSITIVE?

Also, seriously, Comes then Goes is CLEARLY about Cornell, so is Scared of Fear. It doesn't mean that when you write, you're not associating other characters into your storyline or into a character, but who else did Ed have a scene with (Scared of Fear) but Cornell? He was his friend. His friend left him and Seattle (did Ed go to Chris's funeral? No. Why not?), I guess I missed part of the Won't Tell story, but the simplest explanation is usually right, and Ed's lyrics have overwhelmingly been personal (either about his perspective or of someone who he's been in contact with in some way - most often the former). All I'll say about the divorce comment is - hmm, what happened next?

I'm definitely getting banned now. 
  • Options

KNOW MY RIGHTS!!!
  • Options
    KV4053 said:
    quartered said:
    Are all of you morons?

Pretty harsh words for someone who doesn't actually know the answer and is only speculating.
    I know all the answers
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,522
    It's simply your opinion and you know what they say about opinions!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,101
    Lifted said:
    quartered said:
    Are all of you morons?

We really have no idea, it’s just opinions.  I totally agree with the last paragraph re Cornell, it’s like he’s the only friend Ed has ever had and lost…. maybe because he was the friend WE all know about? 
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 675
    edited May 19
    Comes Than Goes is about CC (and some bitterness towards VC). Brother the Cloud is about his actual brother Chris Mueller. But beyond that I think people are reading into things that probably aren’t there. I actually think that Scared of Fear is a political song, the “hurtling yourself just to hurt me” referring to someone who votes against their own economic interests to “own the libs” for example. “Have I lost my friend” could be about a loved one going down a Qanon rabbit hole, or who you don’t speak to anymore after an argument, or who died of Covid after refusing masking/vaccine.
    Dark Matter is an album thematically about personal connections, how we keep them and how we lose them. It deals heavily with topics of mortality. So people are seeing a person with whom connection was lost who died in those lyrics. But that could also be true of Layne or Lanegan, Andy or Kurt. What is death if not the ultimate lost connection? But I don’t think anything on this album is specifically about CC, the album is about the ways we lose people and he’s one of the many people they’ve lost.
    Post edited by kmcmanus on
  • Options
    Remember ed lost his brother Chris also
     Which will be very difficult to handle for him 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    kmcmanus said:
    Comes Than Goes is about CC (and some bitterness towards VC). Brother the Cloud is about his actual brother Chris Mueller. But beyond that I think people are reading into things that probably aren’t there. I actually think that Scared of Fear is a political song, the “hurtling yourself just to hurt me” referring to someone who votes against their own economic interests to “own the libs” for example. “Have I lost my friend” could be about a loved one going down a Qanon rabbit hole, or who you don’t speak to anymore after an argument, or who died of Covid after refusing masking/vaccine.
    Dark Matter is an album thematically about personal connections, how we keep them and how we lose them. It deals heavily with topics of mortality. So people are seeing a person with whom connection was lost who died in those lyrics. But that could also be true of Layne or Lanegan, Andy or Kurt. What is death if not the ultimate lost connection? But I don’t think anything on this album is specifically about CC, the album is about the ways we lose people and he’s one of the many people they’ve lost.
    How do we know that "Comes Then Goes" is about Chris Cornell? I understand contextually how it can be read that way, but has Ed ever said anything about it publicly?
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 675
    BF25394 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    How do we know that "Comes Then Goes" is about Chris Cornell? I understand contextually how it can be read that way, but has Ed ever said anything about it publicly?
    Touché. Comes Then Goes is widely speculated to be about him, and is the only song getting such speculation that I think actually IS about him. 

*opinions expressed herein do not represent the band whom I’ve never met. Use opinions as directed. Keep away from children.*
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,444
    People in the jamily hiveminding together truths about what songs are about is disturbing
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,725
    BF25394 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    No. And it drives me nuts reading people's post on here who constantly state that this song and that song is about Chris Cornell as if it's a fact. If every song that people suggest was witten about Chris Cornell was in fact about Chris Cornell, it would actually be kind of weird.

It's possible that 'comes then goes' is about Chris Cornell, but it's pure speculation either way.
  • Options
    kmcmanus said:
    Use opinions as directed.
    There's no use as directed. (There's no book on this life.)
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,383
    People in the jamily hiveminding together truths about what songs are about is disturbing
    Isn't reading song lyrics and having theories about what they mean one of the most common things music fans do?
  • Options
    Not to mention that it's certainly about Chris Cornell! Without doubt 100% Ed came to my house last night and told me personally.

Seriously, it's like Ed saying Immortality isn't about Kurt. Of course it is (it's also about Ed, so maybe that's how he justifies his misdirection). There are no other theories that makes sense. The trick is reading lyrics, not reading into lyrics (I'm sure some of you will have a field day with that point). They can all be applied to anything you want, they can all be interpreted in light of anything you want, but past history and Occam's razor would suggest that most Ed songs are about Ed's life or something he has personally experienced - and when there are corroborating facts out there in the world, then it only makes the case stronger.

Think about yourself - would you feel more emotionally connected to (and thus want to write and sing about) experiences of your own life and your own observations or about the experiences and observations of abstract characters - and which do you think would be more convincing to a listener? I'm not saying that abstract characters don't exist in song, literature, etc. - of course they do - or that when applied they aren't ever convincing - of course they are - but I would argue that most Ed songs are pretty specific, even if certain aspects of some have overlapping character or situational interpretations. For example, I wouldn't claim to know where something like Given to Fly comes from - maybe just some interesting way of playing on a biblical story - but I'd put money on where songs like Rearviewmirror and Footsteps come from. If you can't get that Comes then Goes is about Cornell, then why bother with this discussion at all? Everything is about everything, all is relative, blah blah blah boring...
  • Options
    edited May 20
    quartered said:
    Not to mention that it's certainly about Chris Cornell! Without doubt 100% Ed came to my house last night and told me personally.

Seriously, it's like Ed saying Immortality isn't about Kurt. Of course it is (it's also about Ed, so maybe that's how he justifies his misdirection). There are no other theories that makes sense. The trick is reading lyrics, not reading into lyrics (I'm sure some of you will have a field day with that point). They can all be applied to anything you want, they can all be interpreted in light of anything you want, but past history and Occam's razor would suggest that most Ed songs are about Ed's life or something he has personally experienced - and when there are corroborating facts out there in the world, then it only makes the case stronger.

Think about yourself - would you feel more emotionally connected to (and thus want to write and sing about) experiences of your own life and your own observations or about the experiences and observations of abstract characters - and which do you think would be more convincing to a listener? I'm not saying that abstract characters don't exist in song, literature, etc. - of course they do - or that when applied they aren't ever convincing - of course they are - but I would argue that most Ed songs are pretty specific, even if certain aspects of some have overlapping character or situational interpretations. For example, I wouldn't claim to know where something like Given to Fly comes from - maybe just some interesting way of playing on a biblical story - but I'd put money on where songs like Rearviewmirror and Footsteps come from. If you can't get that Comes then Goes is about Cornell, then why bother with this discussion at all? Everything is about everything, all is relative, blah blah blah boring...
    Go watch Bruce Springsteen's Broadway show where he addresses this subject and then get back to me.
    Post edited by BF25394 on
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    Isn't reading song lyrics and having theories about what they mean one of the most common things music fans do?
    Sure-- I think the thing people are reacting to is the certainty that some posters have about the subject matter of certain songs, and also the unseemliness of people asserting things about the nature of Ed's relationship with his wife and problems therein based on their reading of lyrics.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    quartered said:

Go watch Bruce Springsteen's Broadway show where he addresses this subject and then get back to me.
    Snooze
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,922
    BF25394 said:
    quartered said:
    Are all of you morons?

You're projecting a lot onto all of these songs. "Won't Tell" is about a dream that Jeff had about Joni Mitchell and Neil Young, not Jeff's wife. And sometimes, as in "Waiting for Stevie," Ed just invents characters and stories. Don't assume that these songs are autobiographical, other than "Something Special," which Ed has talked about. I don't hear "Wreckage" as being about Seattle; I hear it as being about America in a divided time, trying to figure a way out of the morass we've been in since Trump came down the escalator nine years ago and took our public discourse and politics to new lows.

Do you believe U2s vertigo video, too?
  • Options
    quartered said:
    Lifted said:
    quartered said:
    Are all of you morons?

All I wanted was to call someone a Moron - and then I went looking for a reason. Can't you do that anymore? WHY SO SENSITIVE?

Also, seriously, Comes then Goes is CLEARLY about Cornell, so is Scared of Fear. It doesn't mean that when you write, you're not associating other characters into your storyline or into a character, but who else did Ed have a scene with (Scared of Fear) but Cornell? He was his friend. His friend left him and Seattle (did Ed go to Chris's funeral? No. Why not?), I guess I missed part of the Won't Tell story, but the simplest explanation is usually right, and Ed's lyrics have overwhelmingly been personal (either about his perspective or of someone who he's been in contact with in some way - most often the former). All I'll say about the divorce comment is - hmm, what happened next?

I'm definitely getting banned now. 
    "She fell off the altar
     a vision
    you caught her again
     a wood cut in red."

How is that CC? His wife adulteress? Sliced wrists? 
    My contextualizations make more sense than suppositions?

• Options
    IF it's about cc that part is maybe about his nasty wife
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Spunkie said:
    BF25394 said:
    quartered said:
    Are all of you morons?

Refresh my memory. Isn't that the one where they're in silhouette? What about the video are you referencing?
  • Options
    bazfromozbazfromoz Posts: 206
    Some of you people need to chill out. Who cares who the songs are about. Just enjoy them. 
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    Spunkie said:
    BF25394 said:
    quartered said:
    Are all of you morons?

Refresh my memory. Isn't that the one where they're in silhouette? What about the video are you referencing?
    The make up a bunch of stories about where the song supposedly came from.
  • Options
    Spunkie said:
    BF25394 said:
    Spunkie said:
    BF25394 said:
    quartered said:
    Are all of you morons?

The make up a bunch of stories about where the song supposedly came from.
    Well, everyone should have been warned that they were dealing with an unreliable narrator when Bono skipped cuatro through trece when counting off at the start of the song.
  • Options
    Major snoozefest! 

Spunkie is likely 12-years-old and it's not clear to me that BF25394 knows how language works, so...

However, lastexitlondon has made a real leap - the one that Ed wishes had not led the character in Comes then Goes is none other than Vicky Cornell! This is not rocket science. I apologize, so sorry, about the sarcasm...