Options

Setting Sun

1235»

Comments

• Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,470
    Setting Sun is now my second favorite closing song in the PJ catalog behind Release. The final 1-2 combo of Got To Give and Setting Sun is incredible. Bravo! 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,723
    Just hoping it stays as a closer into the following legs of the tour now.
    Same here. 
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 487
    Am I the only one...that this song is breaking down? I can't stop listening to it and being devastated by it. I'm trying to discount the recency bias, but it's skyrocketing up my all-time PJ list.

Got it 4 times, both Vegas and Seattle shows. Can't say it enough, I'm good with the song being a permanent closer.
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,723
    Got it 4 times, both Vegas and Seattle shows. Can't say it enough, I'm good with the song being a permanent closer.

Same. I was at both Seattle shows. Setting Sun closing both nights felt so damn good.

If you could see what I see now
    You'd find a way to stay somehow
    Oh, if you could see, yeah, what I see now
    You'd make your way to stay somehow

May your days be long 'til kingdom come
    May our days be long before kingdom come
    May our days be long until kingdom come
    We can become one last setting sun
    Am I the only one hanging on?
    We could become one last setting sun
    Or be the sun at the break of dawn
    Let us not fade
    Let us not fade

It gives me goosebumps, every .. single .. time.

• Options
    deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,242
    Am I the only one...that this song is breaking down? I can't stop listening to it and being devastated by it. I'm trying to discount the recency bias, but it's skyrocketing up my all-time PJ list.

This song has this ability to make me feel so emotional and ready to lose it. In Vegas i got teary eyed listening to it night two and I put my arm around my teen daughter for a sec just to soak it in. I was listening to the bootleg on my back porch and wanted to cry again. It's a very powerful song.
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 537
    It's interesting for me, this song really stood out to me on the first listen.  I initially wasn't sure what to think of the other songs, as those needed time to settled in.  But right off the bat, I knew Setting Sun was special.  Right when I heard the beautifully hypnotic guitar + percussion.  So good.  Then that outro.  This is a powerful song.
  • Options
    HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,620
    MikeDigs said:
    It's interesting for me, this song really stood out to me on the first listen.  I initially wasn't sure what to think of the other songs, as those needed time to settled in.  But right off the bat, I knew Setting Sun was special.  Right when I heard the beautifully hypnotic guitar + percussion.  So good.  Then that outro.  This is a powerful song.
    Exactly the same here and to the comments above. In the movie theater on first listen, Setting Sun was the only song I said to myself “that’s Pearl Jam”. Then I listened to it 1000x. I’ve probably watched the LV1 version on YouTube a million times. Eddie is so fucking into it. I was at that show and both Seattle shows…great sets but I most looked forward to Setting Sun.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    slyhiggsslyhiggs Posts: 113
    Watch, it will be in the next Lion King movie in December.  I know that would piss some people off but it's so powerful it would work.
    Alpine 9-03-11
    Alpine 9-04-11
    Wrigley 7-19-13
    Moline 10-17-14
    St. Paul 10-19-14
    Wrigley 8-20-16
    Wrigley 8-22-16
    Wrigley 8-18-18
    Wrigley 8-20-18
    Vegas 05-20-22
    St. Paul 08-31-23
    St. Paul 09-02-23
    Vegas 05-16-24
    Vegas 05-18-24
    "Live in the Present Tense"
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,128
    MikeDigs said:
    I blew by it initially...but damn...great fucking song. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,839
    My only problem with this song is that I am now conditioned, after seeing it as the closer to ten shows, some of which were followed by lengthy overnight drives home to L.A., to start thinking "What's the fastest way out of here?" whenever I hear it.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.