Options

Dark Matter - Out Now

Comments

• Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,496
    After a few listens I love the first half of the album. Everything through Upper Hand is really good. Best thing since Avocado. But it falls off during the second half. I like Running but nothing else grabs me. I can't get into Waiting For Stevie or Setting Sun. Something Special is too cheesy and Got to Give is just there. Still it's so much better than Gigaton or Lightning Bolt. 

It's hard to pick a favorite. I wasn't sold on Wreckage when it was released but it has really gotten me and I probably would say it and Scared of Fear are my favorites. I'm looking forward to hearing the live versions.
  • Options
    I'm pretty surprised that Running and Wreckage were the two singles after Dark Matter - in my opinion, Won't Tell is hands down the best song on the record, followed by DM. That's after about 4 listens all the way through. Just my opinion. Both Running and Wreckage are great tracks too of course, and so is Waiting for Stevie. Overall a pretty damn good album really.
    Lollapalooza 7/92, Berkeley 10/93, Mtn View 10/94, San Jose 11/95, Mtn View 10/96, Oakland 10/97, Inglewood 7/98, Mtn View 10/99, Mtn View 10/00, Mtn View 10/01, Mtn View 6/03, Mtn View 10/03, George 9/05, SF 7/06, Mtn View 10/06, LA 10/09, San Diego 10/09, Mtn View 10/10, Vancouver 9/11, Oakland 10/13, Mtn View 10/14, Seattle 8/18
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,508
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:
    Now that I have had a day of listens with the lyrics - not afraid to think this album stands the test of time to become Pearl Jams 4th Masterpiece album.

Dark Matter joins Ten/Vs/No Code. 

Congrats.
    I'm with you.  Dark Matter joins the Pearl Jam Masterpiece collection.  I don't have those albums individual ranked, outside of VS being my all time favorite.  I get heavy enjoyment out of this collection of albums, and I'm very happy (and surprised) to be adding Dark Matter to the collection of VS, Ten, Vitalogy, No Code, and Yield.  I continue to spin these albums heavily, and these are no-skip masterpieces from front to back.
    I would sooner give up my left pinky finger than my copy of Vitalogy, but the only reason I don't skip "Bugs" is that I just don't skip songs in general. So it's a masterpiece, but I don't know if it's a "no-skip masterpiece." (Along the same lines, No Code features "Habit," the worst "real" song on any studio album, "Mankind," which should have been a B-side, and "Lukin," which is not their best work. First half of No Code >>> second half of No Code, although "Present Tense" and "Around the Bend" are great.)
    I like Bugs where it's placed, as a nice interlude.  The only one I have a tendency to skip is Stupid Mop, but I've powered through.  Habit is a top track for me on No Code, love it so much and that outro rocks really hard.  I also like Mankind and Lukin.  My tough track on No Code is I'm Open, and even still I don't mind listening on album run throughs.  Out of my list of "no-skip" Masterpieces, for me, the only track that's a struggle is Stupid Mop.

Dark Matter is wonderful, no skips, it sounds great together.  So happy we have this new album added to the already amazing catalog.
    I love bugs, and stupid mop...especially when the drums kick in for stupid mop.  Both are cool, and fit well on THAT album.  Vitalogy is dark and creaky and weird, and I love that about it.   That said, I usually skip bugs and stupid mop, and put them on only occasionally.  

I have no skips on Dark Matter.   

I had skips after a couple of spins on Gigaton and Earthlings.  I like where they were going on both of those records, and I think that lead them here to Dark Matter, and Dark Matter crushed it.  

And I like Gigaton and Earthlings....I just think whatever minor mistakes they made there, they fixed on Dark Matter and then added more good stuff.  
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 241
    Vedd Hedd said:
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:
    Now that I have had a day of listens with the lyrics - not afraid to think this album stands the test of time to become Pearl Jams 4th Masterpiece album.

Dark Matter joins Ten/Vs/No Code. 

Congrats.
    I'm with you.  Dark Matter joins the Pearl Jam Masterpiece collection.  I don't have those albums individual ranked, outside of VS being my all time favorite.  I get heavy enjoyment out of this collection of albums, and I'm very happy (and surprised) to be adding Dark Matter to the collection of VS, Ten, Vitalogy, No Code, and Yield.  I continue to spin these albums heavily, and these are no-skip masterpieces from front to back.
    I would sooner give up my left pinky finger than my copy of Vitalogy, but the only reason I don't skip "Bugs" is that I just don't skip songs in general. So it's a masterpiece, but I don't know if it's a "no-skip masterpiece." (Along the same lines, No Code features "Habit," the worst "real" song on any studio album, "Mankind," which should have been a B-side, and "Lukin," which is not their best work. First half of No Code >>> second half of No Code, although "Present Tense" and "Around the Bend" are great.)
    I like Bugs where it's placed, as a nice interlude.  The only one I have a tendency to skip is Stupid Mop, but I've powered through.  Habit is a top track for me on No Code, love it so much and that outro rocks really hard.  I also like Mankind and Lukin.  My tough track on No Code is I'm Open, and even still I don't mind listening on album run throughs.  Out of my list of "no-skip" Masterpieces, for me, the only track that's a struggle is Stupid Mop.

Dark Matter is wonderful, no skips, it sounds great together.  So happy we have this new album added to the already amazing catalog.
    I love bugs, and stupid mop...especially when the drums kick in for stupid mop.  Both are cool, and fit well on THAT album.  Vitalogy is dark and creaky and weird, and I love that about it.   That said, I usually skip bugs and stupid mop, and put them on only occasionally.  

I have no skips on Dark Matter.   

I had skips after a couple of spins on Gigaton and Earthlings.  I like where they were going on both of those records, and I think that lead them here to Dark Matter, and Dark Matter crushed it.  

And I like Gigaton and Earthlings....I just think whatever minor mistakes they made there, they fixed on Dark Matter and then added more good stuff.  
    I agree and love Vitalogy even more for that reason.  It's so unique, dark, and mysterious.  I do enjoy the drums in Stupid Mop, and I believe that is a Jack Irons composition.  It's a fine closer for an album run through, but I understand wanting to quickly change the track back to Last Exit.  Bugs is fun and mysterious with that accordion sound.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,403
    I'm pretty surprised that Running and Wreckage were the two singles after Dark Matter - in my opinion, Won't Tell is hands down the best song on the record, followed by DM. That's after about 4 listens all the way through. Just my opinion. Both Running and Wreckage are great tracks too of course, and so is Waiting for Stevie. Overall a pretty damn good album really.
    "Running" wasn't really a single in the conventional sense. They didn't work it to radio. I think they just wanted to share something else with the fans, but "Wreckage" was always intended to be the second "single."
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:

I had skips after a couple of spins on Gigaton and Earthling.  I like where they were going on both of those records, and I think that lead them here to Dark Matter, and Dark Matter crushed it.  

How do you decide after only a couple of listens that a song needs to be skipped, especially when that song is by an artist with a long track record of success at producing songs you like? If Pearl Jam ever released an album that didn't do it for me-- it hasn't happened yet-- I imagine I'd probably listen to at least fifty times before giving up on it. In fact, when Wilco released Ode to Joy, an album that I really struggled to connect with from an artist that I've adored since the beginning, I listened to it every day for about six months and came to appreciate what it had to offer, even though it still doesn't stack up with the rest of their catalog.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

I had skips after a couple of spins on Gigaton and Earthling.  I like where they were going on both of those records, and I think that lead them here to Dark Matter, and Dark Matter crushed it.  

How do you decide after only a couple of listens that a song needs to be skipped, especially when that song is by an artist with a long track record of success at producing songs you like? If Pearl Jam ever released an album that didn't do it for me-- it hasn't happened yet-- I imagine I'd probably listen to at least fifty times before giving up on it. In fact, when Wilco released Ode to Joy, an album that I really struggled to connect with from an artist that I've adored since the beginning, I listened to it every day for about six months and came to appreciate what it had to offer, even though it still doesn't stack up with the rest of their catalog.
    I mean, I'm using hyperbole when I say "A few spins".  I don't literally mean like 2-3 times and I give up.  I just mean, after having had Gigaton for 4 years, and having Earthings for a couple, there are some tracks that I no longer dig.  I dont always skip them, and I still go back and give some others a chance. 

But even on first listen....Let's take Buckle Up.  I knew this would probably not be a top 10 song for me.  Which is fine, some people dig it and thats cool.   I still give it the random listen, but if I am listening to Gigaton now, I probably skip that one to get to some other songs.  But hearing it the first time, it just didn't have anything that really drew me back into it. I was like this with Do the Evolution initially, until I heard it live, then I sort of "got it".  Now I listen to that one all the time.  So it's different for different things.  Maybe someday Buckle Up will hit me.  Or "The Haves" might jump up and bite me one day too.  

My bigger point with Dark Matter is that there is not a single track on Dark Matter that I can see myself skipping at any point.  Right out of the gate, they all seem like my favorite song off the album at times. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:
    BF25394 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

I mean, I'm using hyperbole when I say "A few spins".  I don't literally mean like 2-3 times and I give up.  I just mean, after having had Gigaton for 4 years, and having Earthings for a couple, there are some tracks that I no longer dig.  I dont always skip them, and I still go back and give some others a chance. 

But even on first listen....Let's take Buckle Up.  I knew this would probably not be a top 10 song for me.  Which is fine, some people dig it and thats cool.   I still give it the random listen, but if I am listening to Gigaton now, I probably skip that one to get to some other songs.  But hearing it the first time, it just didn't have anything that really drew me back into it. I was like this with Do the Evolution initially, until I heard it live, then I sort of "got it".  Now I listen to that one all the time.  So it's different for different things.  Maybe someday Buckle Up will hit me.  Or "The Haves" might jump up and bite me one day too.  

My bigger point with Dark Matter is that there is not a single track on Dark Matter that I can see myself skipping at any point.  Right out of the gate, they all seem like my favorite song off the album at times. 
    That all makes sense, except for the part about "The Haves" possibly having merit some day. :)
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    BF25394 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

That all makes sense, except for the part about "The Haves" possibly having merit some day. :)
    Hey, you never know!  Someday, it might just sneak up on you!  maybe not, but still haha
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    BF25394 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Out of fairness to The Haves, I just gave it another spin....

So, I do like the arrangement, even though its still a little soft for my taste.  And I like some of the lyrics, I just dont think they work together.  This song would have been better if it was 2.5 minutes.  

Actually that was sort of the problem with some of the Earthlings and Gigaton songs....some could have benefitted from losing a minute or two from the final song.  Esp the slow ones. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    This album is going to age very well. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    This album is going to age very well. 
    Agree. 

It’s so wonderful to be caught up in all the community excitement, hype and discussions about new music from a band that matters so much to all of us-and what an album! 
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    Whipping_BoyWhipping_Boy Plantation, FL Posts: 138
    I am blown away by this album. I haven’t listened to an album start to finish repeatedly, like 50 times already, like this forever. It gets better every time. Favorite songs keep changing. Not a bad song on it. Tops for me are Setting Sun, Waiting for Stevie, Wreckage, Won’t Tell, Scared of Fear, React, Respond, and Dark Matter. All are incredible. This is an epic album. Can’t wait to see all of it live. Would be thrilled if they played the whole thing in one show. Haven’t felt like that in years. Thank you Pearl Jam. 
  • Options
    djjazzy276djjazzy276 Posts: 200
    I am blown away by this album. I haven’t listened to an album start to finish repeatedly, like 50 times already, like this forever. It gets better every time. Favorite songs keep changing. Not a bad song on it. Tops for me are Setting Sun, Waiting for Stevie, Wreckage, Won’t Tell, Scared of Fear, React, Respond, and Dark Matter. All are incredible. This is an epic album. Can’t wait to see all of it live. Would be thrilled if they played the whole thing in one show. Haven’t felt like that in years. Thank you Pearl Jam. 
    When you go to list your favorite songs from the album and proceed to name 7 of the 11 tracks, that alone is a ringing endorsement haha. I feel the same way. I don't know what my favorite song is because there are too many competing for that title. 
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,565
    edited April 24
    The people are smiling!  :)

Thank you Pearl Jam for an INCREDIBLE record! 

We can become one last setting sun ☀️

"Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    Whipping_BoyWhipping_Boy Plantation, FL Posts: 138
    djjazzy276 said: Yes!  Almost listed all of the songs. But had to draw line somewhere!
    When you go to list your favorite songs from the album and proceed to name 7 of the 11 tracks, that alone is a ringing endorsement haha. I feel the same way. I don't know what my favorite song is because there are too many competing for that title. 

• Options
    Pitty1975Pitty1975 Posts: 3
    edited April 24
    A throwback to the vitalogy / No Code / Yield era. Some great songs with punk influences and I am fingers crossed Waiting for Stevie is in the live encore in London in June as I think it will sound amazing with McCready losing his shit as it plays out and upper hands opening has shades of ‘inside job’
    Post edited by Pitty1975 on
  • Options
    The people are smiling!  :)

Thank you Pearl Jam for an INCREDIBLE record! 

We can become one last setting sun ☀️

I prefer the sun at the break of dawn. It's the start of something. :)
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,476
    DM is phenomenal.  I cannot get enough of it.  Listening to it for the second time this morning.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    AA295481AA295481 Posts: 101
    From VS to Gigatron, i alway got the CD the first day i could buy it, and if I liked it I would buy it on  Album. This relese I decided to do it backwards, i bought the Album First and if I liked it i would buy it on CD, I avoided listning to singles, I did hear DM on the radio a few times, but If I heard it i would change the radio station, i wanted to go in to the Album fresh once it was released, I waited about 5 days after it was released when i got the album, i'm really glad I waited, I like it from beginning to end without skipping a song, I picked it up on CD today, Yes I know I could of downloaded it, put , call me old fahioned, but I perfer to actually have something physical for my $
  • Options
    inhiding 1976inhiding 1976 NWI Posts: 580
    Sea said:

Dark Matter, the band's twelfth studio album, is officially out now.
    It’s surreal to even type out that sentence.

We’ve had the pleasure of sharing Dark Matter with you in some way this week, whether you were able to attend an early listening party or screening. Thank you all who made it out!

Now, we’re excited for you to listen to the record in the comfort of your own space. And when you do, listen to it LOUD.

- Ten Club

The Tracklist
    1. Scared of Fear

2. React, Respond

3. Wreckage

4. Dark Matter

5. Won’t Tell

6. Upper Hand

7. Waiting for Stevie

8. Running

9. Something Special

10. Got to Give

11. Setting Sun

News: https://pearljam.com/news/dark-matter-out-now

7-11-95, 6-14-98, 6-26-98, 6-27-98, 6-29-98, 8-17-98, 08-18-00, 8-20-00, 09-05-00, 10-7-00, 10-8-00, 10-9-00, 10-11-00, 4-21-03, 4-22-03, 4-23-03, 4-25-03, 04-26-03, 6-18-03, 6-21-03, 6-22-03, 6-25-03, 06-26-03, 10-3-04, 9-11-05, 9-12-05, 9-13-05, 5-9-06, 5-10-06, 5-16-06, 5-17-06, 5-19-06, 5-20-06, 6-23-06, 6-24-06, 6-29-06, 8-5-07, E.V. Milwaukee and Chicago night 1, 8-23-09,08-24-09, 5-7-10, 5-9-10, E.V. 6-28-011, 9-3-11, 9-4-11, 7-19-13, 10-11-13, 10-3-14, 10-17-14, 10-20-14, E.V. 04-26-16, 08-20-16, 08-22-16, 8-20-18, 8-22-18, 9-16-22, 9-18-22, 9-5-23, 9-7-23, 9-10-23
  • Options
    Wasn’t the 
    • DELUXE CD/BLU-RAY WITH HD AUDIO AND DOLBY ATMOS IMMERSIVE MIX - supposed to come with the purchase of a vinyl record? 

7-11-95, 6-14-98, 6-26-98, 6-27-98, 6-29-98, 8-17-98, 08-18-00, 8-20-00, 09-05-00, 10-7-00, 10-8-00, 10-9-00, 10-11-00, 4-21-03, 4-22-03, 4-23-03, 4-25-03, 04-26-03, 6-18-03, 6-21-03, 6-22-03, 6-25-03, 06-26-03, 10-3-04, 9-11-05, 9-12-05, 9-13-05, 5-9-06, 5-10-06, 5-16-06, 5-17-06, 5-19-06, 5-20-06, 6-23-06, 6-24-06, 6-29-06, 8-5-07, E.V. Milwaukee and Chicago night 1, 8-23-09,08-24-09, 5-7-10, 5-9-10, E.V. 6-28-011, 9-3-11, 9-4-11, 7-19-13, 10-11-13, 10-3-14, 10-17-14, 10-20-14, E.V. 04-26-16, 08-20-16, 08-22-16, 8-20-18, 8-22-18, 9-16-22, 9-18-22, 9-5-23, 9-7-23, 9-10-23
  • Options
    Wasn’t the 
    • DELUXE CD/BLU-RAY WITH HD AUDIO AND DOLBY ATMOS IMMERSIVE MIX - supposed to come with the purchase of a vinyl record? 
    No. Where did you get that idea?
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    Wasn’t the 

From the shop it is in the description of the vinyl packages.  Unless I misunderstood it and it’s not available yet.

• Options
    BF25394 said:
    Wasn’t the 

From the shop it is in the description of the vinyl packages.  Unless I misunderstood it and it’s not available yet.

Ah, I see what I did, it sold separately.

• Options
    BF25394 said:
    Wasn’t the 

Ah, I see what I did, it sold separately.

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,055
    The drums are great but ruined by the production. Tinny and weak  when Matt is playing his ass off. Deserves better  . 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 241
    The drums are great but ruined by the production. Tinny and weak  when Matt is playing his ass off. Deserves better  . 
    I'm curious to know how you are listening to the album when you experience the weak drums?  I've only listened to Dark Matter on Spotify with the Highest Quality audio output, and everything sound amazing, including Matt's booming drums.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,055
    MikeDigs said:
    I'm curious to know how you are listening to the album when you experience the weak drums?  I've only listened to Dark Matter on Spotify with the Highest Quality audio output, and everything sound amazing, including Matt's booming drums.
    Exactly the same Spotify and I changed the settings as I believe was suggested previously. I wasn't aware that was possible. But it's not sounding good. The live stuff on Howard stern was perfect. Not a fan of this production sound
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,868
    Wasn’t the 
    That's what I thought at first when I read the description. Thought that was why it was $$. Then I reread it a few times. Wrong...