Options

Dark Matter - Out Now

Comments

• Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 625
    I'm seven listens in so far.... this album hits hard on so many levels.  I was skeptical about Andrew Watt, especially because I don't like the last Stones album, but he was clearly the right choice.  
    I don’t love the compressed “sheen” he puts on things but honestly if this is the caliber of material he’s coaxing out of them I can absolutely live with it. He really did something great here.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    jrfigg said:
    I love this album. Biggest smile on my face today. On my third listen of the morning. Thank you Pearl Jam. 
    Halfway through my 3rd listen. Sooooo good!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,687
    this might be the first pj record in a while that sounds like a collective piece of work where all the songs flow, have a universal theme. It’s really incredible. Proud of these guys. I think what hurt Earthlings, even it has some gems, is that it was all over the place in terms of genres. Punk to ballads. But Dark Matter sounds incredible with headphones, warm, fresh, just fucking good. Glad I have this, needed this right now. 
  • Options
    philp33philp33 Posts: 15
    tbergs said:
    jrfigg said:
    I love this album. Biggest smile on my face today. On my third listen of the morning. Thank you Pearl Jam. 
    Halfway through my 3rd listen. Sooooo good!
    so effin' good!!
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077
    Moffat12 said:
    Oh yeah the new record is out! 10c record variant........... crickets. Not even a delivery date. This should be completely unacceptable, clearly the business model change was not for the fans.
    It’s ridiculous. 10c dropped the ball. How can a preorder from the fan club not be here on time when everyone else gets copies?  
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 229
    this might be the first pj record in a while that sounds like a collective piece of work where all the songs flow, have a universal theme. It’s really incredible. Proud of these guys. I think what hurt Earthlings, even it has some gems, is that it was all over the place in terms of genres. Punk to ballads. But Dark Matter sounds incredible with headphones, warm, fresh, just fucking good. Glad I have this, needed this right now. 
    x2.  This right here stood out to me too, in a big way.  I think it's due to the recording process and how they all came together to build a cohesive album.  It's awesome, I love albums like this and these are the ones that usually end up being classics.
  • Options
    This album makes me smile and makes me happy. Haven't gotten that from an album in forever. Just beautiful. They all need to write and record with each other in the same room every time. They're amazing.
  • Options
    Greyhound06Greyhound06 Posts: 24
    When I started listening, I was a little confused about the placement of Wreckage. But it fits right. This 5 song stretch after that is from somewhere else and every song has its right place. 
  • Options
    Stopped into Easy Street to pick up the vinyl, and the guy at the counter said “aw you just missed Ed!”… don’t tell me these things, dude!
  • Options
    edited April 19
    Stopped into Easy Street to pick up the vinyl, and the guy at the counter said “aw you just missed Ed!”… don’t tell me these things, dude!
    :open_mouth:
  • Options
    NK10452NK10452 Posts: 33
    Been listening all day on PJ radio.  First impression is that it's a good album -- better than Gigaton.  That run from tracks 3-7 is HUGE and setting sun is a great closer.  Other than react, respond (realize taste is subjective), I dont think there's a weak track on the album.  Feels like McCready must have had a blast recording it -- he's all over the place.  Very psyched to hear this stuff live.  Let's go!
    I'm still alive
  • Options
    daveedgardaveedgar Aldridge, England Posts: 2
    Pre ordered and paid for DM on vinyl in February, it's now out and I haven't received it. I'm f**kin furious!!!
  • Options
    Max_RanMax_Ran Posts: 9
    Listened to this at a local indie record store on the 14th and thought it sounded special, Spent this evening listening again at home and it gets even better with each listen. So so good! Excited for London even more now. 
    18/08/2009 - London
    20/06/2012 - Manchester
    31/07/2012 - EV Solo - London 2
    08/07/2014 - Leeds
    11/07/2014 - Milton Keynes
    17/07/2018 - London 2
    08/07/2022 - London 1
  • Options
    I haven't been home to check my mail yet, but some of the comments above are making me nervous.  I never got an email after the pre-order. The money was taken from my account, but no receipt... ?
  • Options
    Chris SenkChris Senk Posts: 4
    So every store has the vinyl and mine is scheduled to deliver Monday. Why not ship out a little earlier so all the preorders get delivered when the record comes out?  Not sure why I’m complaining, I listened to the download a few times today and am not impressed. 
  • Options
    justmichaeljustmichael Posts: 13
    edited April 19
    jtr101 said:
    The Rock said:
    jtr101 said:
    Is there an HD download available anywhere?
    If you pre ordered any version of DM from the Tenclub store you should have received an email with a link to download the album. There's mp3, FLAC, ALAC. 

Also, HD Tracks and Qobuz have the HD too. 
    Thanks 👍 
    Yes, thank you for this. I had assumed the Ten Club download would only be mp3, but it in fact let's you download FLAC.
  • Options
    PB71405PB71405 Posts: 15
    All I know is this album is my album of the year! I’m so excited, happy and profoundly moved by this beautiful record. I’m completely blown away. Thank You Pearl Jam for all the years of music! You will always have my support and love. Please keep playing and I will keep buying!! Love You All! See You Night 2 at Wrigley Field!! 
    Priscilla Buford
  • Options
    justmichaeljustmichael Posts: 13
    Initial thoughts after listening through the album 4 times or so:

When I listen to a new Pearl Jam album, the "quality" of the music almost takes a back seat. I want the bands I love to create new music for many years to come. I want them to love getting together with each other to create some art. I understand that after 34 years (!) of history that things slow down, that getting the band members in the same room together to create becomes more difficult due to external commitments. The creative process is precious and needs to be tended to in order for new art to be created.

It's one of the reasons I didn't like Lightning Bolt initially. The album sounded like a collection of songs cobbled together individually for eventual release. I didn't get the feeling that the songs were created organically or collaboratively. There seemed to be no theme tying them together. My opinion of individual songs has increased after hearing them live, however (Pendulum is a fantastic opener). I was worried that the band was slowly moving apart.

Then Gigaton comes along and I loved it. The songs sounded fresher. The band was experimenting. They seemed to enjoy the creative process. I was hopeful for future music.

So now we have Dark Matter. All the pre-release press was promising. The band sounded excited. The reviews from listening parties and the theater experience was almost universally positive (which made me wary, but whatever). I was hopeful.

So after listening a few times what do I think? I like it. I think I liked Gigaton a touch more but I like this album. I'm just excited that my favorite band in the world is creating good, new music and that we have a tour to look forward to. Things are good.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,838
    Yooooo
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,950
    Obviously there to pick up his pre order! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    schaefferlaxschaefferlax Posts: 162
    People whining about not getting the vinyl on release day is hilarious to me. Just listen on an app til you get it in the mail. Manbabies
    Wrigley 7/19/2013
    Philadelphia 10/22/2013
    Baltimore 10/27/2013
    Hampton 4/18/2016
    Ft. Worth 9/13/2023
    Ft. Worth 9/15/2023
  • Options
    PC237837PC237837 Posts: 22
    Pearl Jam album rocks. 
  • Options
    daveedgardaveedgar Aldridge, England Posts: 2
    People whining about not getting the vinyl on release day is hilarious to me. Just listen on an app til you get it in the mail. Manbabies
    Not the point manbaby, we've paid good money for the vinyl, I don't want my first listen to be on Spotify!
  • Options
    schaefferlaxschaefferlax Posts: 162
    Just finished my 3rd listen on a long walk. It’s a great fucking album honestly. This will be controversial but I put it over self-titled. Waiting For Stevie, Setting Sun, and Dark Matter are the best songs they’ve put out in 20 years IMO and should be insane live. 

If this is it, what a great bookend for a legendary band. 30+ years of greatness, thank you PJ
    Wrigley 7/19/2013
    Philadelphia 10/22/2013
    Baltimore 10/27/2013
    Hampton 4/18/2016
    Ft. Worth 9/13/2023
    Ft. Worth 9/15/2023
  • Options
    jonposeyjonposey Posts: 139
    I'm sorry. I listened to it twice. Quick Escape and Alright from the last album are more interesting to me than anything on the new album. Lightning Bolt petered out over the second half, but given the first few listens, this is my least favorite since Avacodo.
    I eventually went back and found songs I now love off the self-titled album, like Come Back, Comatose and Severed Hand, but I don't see those hidden gems on this one.
    I hope time and live shows prove me wrong.
    I will be in Philly to be proven wrong 😜
    \m/ \m/
    www.jonposey.us
  • Options
    TheebsTheebs Posts: 35
    daveedgar said:
    Not the point manbaby, we've paid good money for the vinyl, I don't want my first listen to be on Spotify!
    this is how it always is with new releases from the ten club.  I can not recall a time when they ever arrived on release day.  Lightning bolt ended up having a number of vinyl issues also.

if you bought the ten club variant they should have emailed you a download code.  
  • Options
    ragejoeragejoe Agawam Mass Posts: 1,413
    Just finished my 3rd listen on a long walk. It’s a great fucking album honestly. This will be controversial but I put it over self-titled. Waiting For Stevie, Setting Sun, and Dark Matter are the best songs they’ve put out in 20 years IMO and should be insane live. 

If this is it, what a great bookend for a legendary band. 30+ years of greatness, thank you PJ
    I love that you mention avocado here cause as soon as Setting Sun ended on my first fill album listen my first thought was “As a diehard this is their most consistent album since avocado, for a casual fan I think it’s their most consistent album since vitology… people can piss and moan about something special if they want and sure I don’t wanna hear it at all 4 of my shows this year but it’s a 60 year old dad writing about his daughters. I’ve got 2 of them too so I can relate.  If I had to pick my second least favorite song it’s track 2 React and it’s a good tune.  The other 9 are just all pretty incredible and have so much amazing live potential and I just love Ed and the boys emoting all of this happy energy these days whether it’s on stage or through the album   Thank you once again Pearl Jam and I can’t wait to see what you got in store for me/us in September (MSG & Fenway) 
    1998 Tour- Hartford 9/13
    2000 Tour- Saratoga 8/27 Boston 8/29, 8/30
    2003 Tour- Albany 4/29 Boston 7/2,7/3,7/11 Philadelphia 7/5,7/6 MSG 7/8,7/9
    2004 Tour-
    Boston 9/28,9/29
    2006 Tour-
    Albany 5/12 Hartford 5/13 Boston 5/24,5/25
    2008 Tour-
    MSG 6/24,6/25 Hartford 6/27 Boston 6/28,6/30 Eddie- Boston 8/1
    2009 Tour-
    Eddie- Albany 6/9 Philly Spectrum- 10/30, 10/31
    2010 Tour-
    Hartford 5/15 MSG 5/20,5/21
    2011 Tour-
    Eddie- Hartford 6/18
    2013 Tour- Worcester,MA 10/15,10/16 Hartford 10/25
    2016 Tour- MSG 5/1,5/2 FENWAY 8/5,8/7
    2018 Tour- Fenway 9/2, 9/4 (My 40th show)!
  • Options
    ragejoeragejoe Agawam Mass Posts: 1,413
    NK10452 said:I
    Been listening all day on PJ radio.  First impression is that it's a good album -- better than Gigaton.  That run from tracks 3-7 is HUGE and setting sun is a great closer.  Other than react, respond (realize taste is subjective), I dont think there's a weak track on the album.  Feels like McCready must have had a blast recording it -- he's all over the place.  Very psyched to hear this stuff live.  Let's go!
    Agree with this review 100%  well said! 
    1998 Tour- Hartford 9/13
    2000 Tour- Saratoga 8/27 Boston 8/29, 8/30
    2003 Tour- Albany 4/29 Boston 7/2,7/3,7/11 Philadelphia 7/5,7/6 MSG 7/8,7/9
    2004 Tour-
    Boston 9/28,9/29
    2006 Tour-
    Albany 5/12 Hartford 5/13 Boston 5/24,5/25
    2008 Tour-
    MSG 6/24,6/25 Hartford 6/27 Boston 6/28,6/30 Eddie- Boston 8/1
    2009 Tour-
    Eddie- Albany 6/9 Philly Spectrum- 10/30, 10/31
    2010 Tour-
    Hartford 5/15 MSG 5/20,5/21
    2011 Tour-
    Eddie- Hartford 6/18
    2013 Tour- Worcester,MA 10/15,10/16 Hartford 10/25
    2016 Tour- MSG 5/1,5/2 FENWAY 8/5,8/7
    2018 Tour- Fenway 9/2, 9/4 (My 40th show)!
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,189
    edited April 20
    jonposey said:
    I'm sorry. I listened to it twice. Quick Escape and Alright from the last album are more interesting to me than anything on the new album. Lightning Bolt petered out over the second half, but given the first few listens, this is my least favorite since Avacodo.
    I eventually went back and found songs I now love off the self-titled album, like Come Back, Comatose and Severed Hand, but I don't see those hidden gems on this one.
    Yeah I had this album on all day and I don’t get it. Maybe I need to listen closer but nothing sounded overly inspiring. Felt like a full string of easy listening. 

Every time YouTube music finished the album and flipped from Setting Sun to an older PJ track my attention was grabbed. I do like the 3 singles released before today so maybe I need more time.

I really liked Gigaton so maybe this is the antithesis. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I even liked Earthing! Dark Matter… big name for such a snore. 

I’ve hard folks describe this as the next Yield… and I don’t like Yield so maybe that’s it?
    Post edited by OceansJenny on
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
    jonposey said:
    Yeah I had this album on all day and I don’t get it. Maybe I need to listen closer but nothing sounded overly inspiring. Felt like a full string of easy listening. 

Every time YouTube music finished the album and flipped from Setting Sun to an older PJ track my attention was grabbed. I do like the 3 singles released before today so maybe I need more time.

I really liked Gigaton so maybe this is the antithesis. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I even liked Earthing! Dark Matter… big name for such a snore. 

I’ve hard folks describe this as the next Yield… and I don’t like Yield so maybe that’s it?
    Agree with you both.  Too many soft rock easily listening type songs and not enough hard rockers.  Waiting for Stevie is the only standout to me with the title track a close second.