Options

Dark Matter - Out Now

Comments

• Options
    DL236795DL236795 Gold Coast, Australia Posts: 29
    What an album! First album in a while by any artist that I loved immdeiately! Enjoying the nods to U2, Tom Petty, Crowded House and the Cure, but is it just me or is the shadow of R.E.M. running thru this? Love it!
    Brisbane 1998 #1, Brisbane 2003 #1, #2, Brisbane 2006 #1, #2, Brisbane 2009, Gold Coast 2014
  • Options
    Kcuff meKcuff me Posts: 34
    This album is ridiculously good start to finish, good lord, playing start to finish over and over, these tunes are going to be legit BANGERs live!!!  Cant wait for Barcelona and Philly 2 and if the PJ gods smile upon me, Balt.  Thanks fellas, phenomenal music
    "Ya know time is long, and life is short, begin to live while you still can"
  • Options
    ColaresiColaresi Posts: 8
    I have not connected with a PJ album this intensely since at least Avocado and I love the sonic undulations within songs and across the album. The tracks that standout to me as great and memorable are Upper Hand, Wreckage, Waiting for Stevie, Setting Sun, Got to Give, Scared of Fear, and Won’t Tell. I also like DM and Something Special; Running and React/Respond have their moments and fit well within the album but so far are less memorable (for me) than the powerful opening with Scared of Fear, the  3-7 sequence that is the beating, feeling heart of the album and then the great G2G to Setting Sun close. Great album. I feel very lucky. Looking forward to the shows.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,351
    People whining about not getting the vinyl on release day is hilarious to me. Just listen on an app til you get it in the mail. Manbabies
    Everyone does not have streaming.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    schaefferlaxschaefferlax Posts: 163
    BF25394 said:
    People whining about not getting the vinyl on release day is hilarious to me. Just listen on an app til you get it in the mail. Manbabies
    Free spotify and apple music exist. It is not hard to find this music online. 
    Wrigley 7/19/2013
    Philadelphia 10/22/2013
    Baltimore 10/27/2013
    Hampton 4/18/2016
    Ft. Worth 9/13/2023
    Ft. Worth 9/15/2023
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,972
    It’s in YouTube 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 928
    What did Ben Harper say as MSG in.2003
    .'this is the greatest band in the world' 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    tradrrrtradrrr Posts: 23
    First listen, first thought: this is the most rock and roll album PJ has ever put out. Not rockin or heavy, it just sounded…classic rockish? Eddie’s voice sounded so clear, maybe a little less in your face? I won’t know for a while where I put it against their other albums but I do love that they put themselves out there and try new things and I dig this one so far! 

Ok now off to read what some of you others thought! 
  • Options
    DAVEPJDAVEPJ Posts: 14
    so incredibly grateful for this band...
    he'e nalu
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    Free spotify and apple music exist. It is not hard to find this music online. 
    You don't understand. It's not a question of "finding" the music. I listened to the album on YouTube Thursday night when that was my only option, before I received the downloads that I burned to a CD that I could listen to in my car and on my stereo system. For me to listen to this music online, I have to sit at my computer. That's something I don't enjoy. I can't stream it to my stereo, or to my car. If that (or listening on your phone) works for you, great. Other people are different. It doesn't make them "manbabies." Regardless, none of it excuses the fact that pre-orders were placed two months before release date, and it's reasonable for people to be annoyed that the CDs or LPs that they ordered in February did not arrive by April 19, a date we've all had circled on our calendars.
  • Options
    tino_11 said:
    It’s in YouTube 
    Yes, see above. I think the best part of the experience were the ads disrupting the transitions from one song to the next. In a pinch, it was fine. But I wasn't going to sit around on YouTube all weekend until the official CD arrives. I have a life, and it isn't at my desk or in my phone.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,841
    eboweddie said:
    What did Ben Harper say as MSG in.2003
    .'this is the greatest band in the world' 
    2010 too. The other Ben from band of horses! Msg 5/22/10
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077
    I’m a manbaby because I want something I paid a premium for through the fucking fan club to arrive on time?  Dumb ass comment. 
  • Options
    ryansgr8ryansgr8 Posts: 3
    Colaresi said:
    I have not connected with a PJ album this intensely since at least Avocado and I love the sonic undulations within songs and across the album. The tracks that standout to me as great and memorable are Upper Hand, Wreckage, Waiting for Stevie, Setting Sun, Got to Give, Scared of Fear, and Won’t Tell. I also like DM and Something Special; Running and React/Respond have their moments and fit well within the album but so far are less memorable (for me) than the powerful opening with Scared of Fear, the  3-7 sequence that is the beating, feeling heart of the album and then the great G2G to Setting Sun close. Great album. I feel very lucky. Looking forward to the shows.
    Nailed it! Dark Matter is a great album...in my top 4-5 of their catalog. 
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,640
    edited April 20
    Finally had the time to sit down and listen to the album from cover to cover and wow!!!
    FUCK ALL ……this shit rocks!
    It’s so well crafted…. and has good flow….damn, boys!!,  who knew you’d pull this out so late in the  
    game?!?

🙋
    Post edited by URthekey on
  • Options
    YieldwaukeeYieldwaukee Posts: 100
    Really, really enjoying the album. I liked most of Gigaton but this just hits me different. I like the tempo throughout the album. Something for everyone it seems. Hell, I’m not an expert but I know what I like and this is it. Can’t wait to hear these songs live with the rest of you! 

2014 - Milwaukee
    2016 - Fenway N1
    2018 - Wrigley N1
    2022 - Oakland N1
    2023 - St Paul N1
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    Had my fifth listen from start to finish. 

It’s a fantastic album! Love it. Music food for the next while…. 

Matt is just amazing. Credit to all those involved! 

Well done! 
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    Moffat12Moffat12 Posts: 25
    I’m a manbaby because I want something I paid a premium for through the fucking fan club to arrive on time?  Dumb ass comment. 
    Agreed, still don't have a delivery date 
  • Options
    schaefferlaxschaefferlax Posts: 163
    You can’t always get what you want. 
    Wrigley 7/19/2013
    Philadelphia 10/22/2013
    Baltimore 10/27/2013
    Hampton 4/18/2016
    Ft. Worth 9/13/2023
    Ft. Worth 9/15/2023
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,246
    Now that I have had a day of listens with the lyrics - not afraid to think this album stands the test of time to become Pearl Jams 4th Masterpiece album.

Dark Matter joins Ten/Vs/No Code. 

Congrats.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    Now that I have had a day of listens with the lyrics - not afraid to think this album stands the test of time to become Pearl Jams 4th Masterpiece album.

Congrats.
    Yield>DM totally agree!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 230

Congrats.
    I'm with you.  Dark Matter joins the Pearl Jam Masterpiece collection.  I don't have those albums individual ranked, outside of VS being my all time favorite.  I get heavy enjoyment out of this collection of albums, and I'm very happy (and surprised) to be adding Dark Matter to the collection of VS, Ten, Vitalogy, No Code, and Yield.  I continue to spin these albums heavily, and these are no-skip masterpieces from front to back.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077
    You can’t always get what you want. 
    You’re right but people can and should be held accountable when mistakes are made. 
  • Options
    elsicomoroelsicomoro Detroit Posts: 1
    I don't think it's unreasonable in April 2024 that, if you ordered the vinyl direct from PJ/10C, it should arrive on or before release day. Looks like mine will finally be here tomorrow!

That said, glad to have it downloaded and have been listening to it all weekend...what a great record!
  • Options
    MikeDigs said:

Congrats.
    I'm with you.  Dark Matter joins the Pearl Jam Masterpiece collection.  I don't have those albums individual ranked, outside of VS being my all time favorite.  I get heavy enjoyment out of this collection of albums, and I'm very happy (and surprised) to be adding Dark Matter to the collection of VS, Ten, Vitalogy, No Code, and Yield.  I continue to spin these albums heavily, and these are no-skip masterpieces from front to back.
    I would sooner give up my left pinky finger than my copy of Vitalogy, but the only reason I don't skip "Bugs" is that I just don't skip songs in general. So it's a masterpiece, but I don't know if it's a "no-skip masterpiece." (Along the same lines, No Code features "Habit," the worst "real" song on any studio album, "Mankind," which should have been a B-side, and "Lukin," which is not their best work. First half of No Code >>> second half of No Code, although "Present Tense" and "Around the Bend" are great.)
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 230
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:

Congrats.
    I would sooner give up my left pinky finger than my copy of Vitalogy, but the only reason I don't skip "Bugs" is that I just don't skip songs in general. So it's a masterpiece, but I don't know if it's a "no-skip masterpiece." (Along the same lines, No Code features "Habit," the worst "real" song on any studio album, "Mankind," which should have been a B-side, and "Lukin," which is not their best work. First half of No Code >>> second half of No Code, although "Present Tense" and "Around the Bend" are great.)
    I like Bugs where it's placed, as a nice interlude.  The only one I have a tendency to skip is Stupid Mop, but I've powered through.  Habit is a top track for me on No Code, love it so much and that outro rocks really hard.  I also like Mankind and Lukin.  My tough track on No Code is I'm Open, and even still I don't mind listening on album run throughs.  Out of my list of "no-skip" Masterpieces, for me, the only track that's a struggle is Stupid Mop.

Dark Matter is wonderful, no skips, it sounds great together.  So happy we have this new album added to the already amazing catalog.
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    Four days of listening to this album and it just gets richer with each listen. 

What an album. Wow! 
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 625
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:

Congrats.
    I agree with a whole lot of your posts but this is Lukin slander and it will not stand 😜
  • Options
    The best album since ‘Yield.’ First listen left me scratching my head, thinking ‘WTF was that?’ After a few more listens with headphones…blown away! I’ve never hated an album they’ve put out, just haven’t necessarily loved some of them. Pure love for this album! 
  • Options
    kmcmanus said:
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:

Congrats.
    I agree with a whole lot of your posts but this is Lukin slander and it will not stand 😜
    Well, I appreciate the general agreement and am on record about your own pattern of quality posting, but the only way you could disagree with what I said about "Lukin" would be to say that it *is* their best work, and you can't possibly believe that. Even Matt Lukin doesn't believe that, and he probably thinks that song is about him (don't he, don't he).