Options

Dark Matter album reviews

Comments

• Options
    JR8321JR8321 Posts: 48
    Not sure if many have seen the Matt Cameron interview with Matt Pinfield but MC mentions they have a few songs that didn't make it on the record cause Watt wanted a concise 10 or 11 song record!  Need that Lost Dogs 2 please!!
    https://youtu.be/LveEoEQyGHM?si=epuxkz7deivutsBk
    59 minute mark is where he mentions it!
    Great share. Mad respect to Matt Pinfield - always loved that guy. He is gushing here. 

And how about the promise of live ToTD at some point?!
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,481
    kmcmanus said:
    It’s currently sitting at 86 on metacritic, that’s pretty universal acclaim.
    for anyone else who listens to Indiecast: think Steven Hyden wishes he had taken this in their fantasy album draft?
    Only 4 reviews though. P4K's 1.4 review coming soon
    Even with Pitchforks 63 for Gigaton it still averaged 80. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,177
    Even though the album's second half loses some of its melodic muscle, Dark Matter, like Gigaton four years earlier, finds Pearl Jam wrestling shared doubts about the future. More often than not, they claim a tentative victory.

Read More: Pearl Jam, 'Dark Matter': Album Review | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/pearl-jam-dark-matter-album-review/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    Not a review, but something.
    https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/music/pearl-jams-stone-gossard-on-dark-matter-album-seattle-shows/
    After letting the first batch of songs breathe for about a year, largely due to scheduling constraints, Pearl Jam and Watt reconvened in Malibu’s Shangri-La studio last year to finish the second half of the album. On the whole, one of the strengths of “Dark Matter” lies in how the band’s individual talents and impulses — whether it’s Ament’s anxious post-punk (“React, Respond”), McCready’s fire-raining solos or Vedder’s Who-like crescendos (“Got to Give”) — shine through in a more cohesive setting.
    I don't believe nothin', even if it's true.
    "That's a vibe" - Ryan Miller

9/11/2022 - Madison Square Garden, New York
    Other bands
    Guster - 8/12/2023
    Guster - 3/30/2024
    Guster - 8/11/2024
    Built to Spill - 9/1/2024
  • Options
    marumarukomarumaruko Frankfurt / Calgary Posts: 108
    edited April 16
    Just came back from the local cinema. Think Wreckage is the stand out song. Won't Tell a close second for me. 
    Waiting for Stevie - I don't know. Perhaps I was too hyped due to many comments on here, but I found it just normal. I like it but together with Running it's the weakest song for me so far.
    Upper Hand sounds like something that could become a first set closer every now and then. 
    Something Special is a very personal song for Eddie and we might hear it not so often live therefore. I assume, the same will apply for Setting Sun, which feels a bit like All Those Yesterdays, as in that it doesn't work live as well as we might think. 
    As I'm just guessing here, I would love to be proven wrong.

All in all, I really like the album, and I was surprised to find that I prefer all the slower songs over the harder songs as well. 
    Post edited by marumaruko on
  • Options
    Just came back from the local cinema. Think Wreckage is the stand out song. Won't Tell a close second for me. 
    Waiting for Stevie - I don't know. Perhaps I was too hyped due to many comments on here, but I found it just normal. I like it but together with Running it's the weakest song for me so far.
    Upper Hand sounds like something that could become a first set closer every now and then. 
    Something Special is a very personal song for Eddie and we might hear it not so often live therefore. I assume, the same will apply for Setting Sun, which feels a bit like All Those Yesterdays, as in that it doesn't work live as well as we might think. 
    As I'm just guessing here, I would love to be proven wrong though.

All in all, I really like the album, and I was surprised to find that I prefer all the slower songs over the harder songs as well. 
    This is common with the critics:
    In retrospect, however, Vs. appears as the moment where it became crystal-clear that Pearl Jam's ballads were ultimately stronger than their rockers. For all their clenched fury, songs like "Go", "Animal", and "Blood" mostly just thrashed awkwardly in place. "Daughter", by contrast, is plaintive and lovely, and "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town" has survived nearly two decades of dorm-room slaughtering intact, an effortless and sunlit acoustic ballad that Rod Stewart could have written for Every Picture Tells a Story.
    https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15263-vs-legacy-edition-vitalogy-legacy-edition-live-at-the-orpheum-theatre-boston/
    I don't believe nothin', even if it's true.
    "That's a vibe" - Ryan Miller

9/11/2022 - Madison Square Garden, New York
    Other bands
    Guster - 8/12/2023
    Guster - 3/30/2024
    Guster - 8/11/2024
    Built to Spill - 9/1/2024
  • Options
    CoshieCoshie Port Fairy Posts: 279
    edited April 17
    My personal review - edited for forum guidelines as I got over excited previously… Sorry 

Imagine if Backspacer made sweet dirty love with Avacado and some notable friends and influences were serenading them both from the corner of the room with blind folds on. 

Sometime later, Avacado gives birth to an illegitimate well overdue child (album….)

1. Matt Cameron’s best album - yes I’ll say it now. Still too fast sorry mate.

2. Yes Eddie sounds as you’d expect. Maybe better than expected actually😊

3. Best Mike McCready and Stone album since….No Code? 😬 

4. Best last song on an album since…. I’ll let you decide. It’s a rippa. 

5. Ignore every thing you read about early throwbacks as a ‘band’ unless you break it down to individual glimpses of….individuals… you’ll have to listen closely enough to hear it. But it’s there….(psssst…last minute of Stevie)

6. Whatever Andrew was paid. It wasn’t enough. 

7.8 Empty lubricant tubes out of 10
    8.7 Empty lubricant tubes out of 10 - Live
    Post edited by Coshie on
    Melbourne - 1998-2003-2006-2009-2014
    Eddie Vedder Solo Melbourne - 2011-2014
    Seattle 1 & 2 2018
    Missoula 2018
    Baltimore, New York 2020 😭
    EV & Earthlings New York 1 & 2 - 2022
    EV & Earthlings New Jersey - 2022
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,522
    I like that review above. 

There are definitely glimpses of Yield, Avocado, the newer ones...also some throwback sounds from early days, also some completely new stuff that just sounds amazing.  Are those outros to individual tracks, or intros to other tracks, or are they like Red Dot and Hummus?  

Honestly, I love every damn note of this album.  I was worried about Wreckage for some reason, and I was not into Something Special until I heard them both in full and they are both outstanding.  But the highlights....Man, where to go...Upper Hand? Waiting for Stevie? Scared of Fear, React/Respond?  Got to Give, Setting Sun.  I mean seriously, I know there is some recency bias, but damn, they did something tremendous here. I think they have a thing.  This album is something.  Fucking a, I cant wait to hear it all live. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    WW187806WW187806 Long Island, NY Posts: 538
    Upper hand, Waiting for Stevie and Setting Sun sounded glorious in atmos. I got dead center and just closed eyes.

It’s funny how they mention it was recorded so quick bc there is so much to discover in each track. This was my 2nd listen and best quality. 

Upper Hand and Setting Sun could close out sets. Those songs alone are like overwhelming. Overall, Yea Stone/Mike/Jeff guitar work just weaves. Upper Hand creeped me out! So great but that could fit on a boot like No F’n Messiah and you’d think it’s all same era. Same with guitar in Waiting for Stevie.

Got to Give was better on 2nd listen and just flourishes toward the end- same with Won’t Tell. Ed’s Clash like lyrical rap on React Respond was cool. I think Dark Matter and Running stand up well with other tracks. Personally I’m not sick of them, was fun to hear them and kinda know them now. 

Wreckage is like one of those Hippy throw rugs bands play on. Very Petty like, and the ending is so great… I feel like that song could’ve been even better. I also liked Something Special. Ed is comfortable in his skin, you can feel him relieved to be doing this and to feel like all the other dads in some ways. It’s a nice song, that bops along. 

TBH, I can’t say what the worst song is…I thought first two were a lil long… but ppl have made some grand comparisons to other songs/albums. Nothing in this is done to intentionally sound like something. They are just grooving. For once I think the band as an entity eclipses Ed! And I think he’s like ok with that, you know, bring it. 

This album ends the Dave A was the maaaan stuff. Cameron puts on his hard hard helmet and whips those drums. McCready also has some epic short solos and a couple epic ones…. Someone said it’s like Alive. I’d ageee regarding length and passion… but this album is all original. Sometimes Ed’s high pitch irks me but idk I have horrible allergies rn and my nose is completely clogged! Oh also! There’s a lil Into the Wild- Ed yelp/howl/grunt. 

My feeling overall is. Yes this is great. Band liberated. Having fun, perspective of lucky to all be one, and they sound like 5 v 1 again but sure more mature. Can anyone on here (gosh there’s plenty!) expect 28 year old Ed sing/write like 60 year old Ed, father of two?

Songs will be sick live, looking forward to seeing how sets are reinvigorated with this new amazing vibe. And yea, if there’s more songs, just keep it coming bc they are on rare air rn. It’s like top muscianship, lyrics seem brilliant (haven’t done deep dive) and they are actually enjoying playing. Best case scenario for the band as humans and us as fans!

-Review, Man. 5/5 of these 🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻
  • Options
    Agreed with all that....

It's familiar, like...it sounds like Pearl Jam.  But its all its own thing.  Every once in a while you hear a sound that takes you somewhere reminiscent of a possible sound, but its not intentionally trying to copy anything previous.   
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    WW187806WW187806 Long Island, NY Posts: 538
    @""Vedd Hedd" not tryin to be “mystical”’but I think they just were like fuck it. Being around Watt and Josh, it’s like some of their old signature stylistic paths are embedded in these songs. Like it just came out of them. I guess with all the 2020 heaviness a lot of ppl are experiencing times like this. They all got down to LA, one room all the way, and the plug was reconnected. Muscle memory. And their skills advanced so those signature stylistic paths are deeper with more guitar work all over. McCready alone seems like he’s just livin life. 

Not sure if none mentioned but short clip of Jeff saying hi to begin. Also, there’s a jam to start Running that pretty cool 
  • Options
    WW187806 said:
    @""Vedd Hedd" not tryin to be “mystical”’but I think they just were like fuck it. Being around Watt and Josh, it’s like some of their old signature stylistic paths are embedded in these songs. Like it just came out of them. I guess with all the 2020 heaviness a lot of ppl are experiencing times like this. They all got down to LA, one room all the way, and the plug was reconnected. Muscle memory. And their skills advanced so those signature stylistic paths are deeper with more guitar work all over. McCready alone seems like he’s just livin life. 

Not sure if none mentioned but short clip of Jeff saying hi to begin. Also, there’s a jam to start Running that pretty cool 
    Agreed. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,736
    Vedd Hedd said:

There are definitely glimpses of Yield, Avocado, the newer ones...also some throwback sounds from early days, also some completely new stuff that just sounds amazing.  Are those outros to individual tracks, or intros to other tracks, or are they like Red Dot and Hummus?  

Honestly, I love every damn note of this album.  I was worried about Wreckage for some reason, and I was not into Something Special until I heard them both in full and they are both outstanding.  But the highlights....Man, where to go...Upper Hand? Waiting for Stevie? Scared of Fear, React/Respond?  Got to Give, Setting Sun.  I mean seriously, I know there is some recency bias, but damn, they did something tremendous here. I think they have a thing.  This album is something.  Fucking a, I cant wait to hear it all live. 
    Scared of fear and react respond will sound MASSIVE live, I hope they kick off some shows with that one two
  • Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,176
    pdalowsky said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Scared of fear and react respond will sound MASSIVE live, I hope they kick off some shows with that one two
    Agree and so do a couple of others I've spoken to
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,736
    pdalowsky said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Agree and so do a couple of others I've spoken to
    Whilst sounding nothing like they remind me very much of the Go animal start to Vs - high intensity and drive and groove, with both tracks having chaotic last minute builds. They really are fantastic
  • Options
    marumarukomarumaruko Frankfurt / Calgary Posts: 108
    WW187806 said:

Songs will be sick live, looking forward to seeing how sets are reinvigorated with this new amazing vibe. And yea, if there’s more songs, just keep it coming bc they are on rare air rn. It’s like top muscianship, lyrics seem brilliant (haven’t done deep dive) and they are actually enjoying playing. Best case scenario for the band as humans and us as fans!

What I like especially about this record is that it appears as if those songs are recorded imitating a live performance, so they most likely will work out mostly well and there needs to be no extra extension or snippets or anything to make the songs more interesting. 
  • Options
    BRWillyBRWilly DC Posts: 70
    WW187806 said:

What I like especially about this record is that it appears as if those songs are recorded imitating a live performance, so they most likely will work out mostly well and there needs to be no extra extension or snippets or anything to make the songs more interesting. 
    Agree. Especially toward the second half of the album -- Upper Hand through Got to Give minus Something Special -- have a very live, jammed out end feel. If they didn't have that I feel like the results would be standard, good mid-tempo groove, but kinda cheesy soft/dad rock, but the jams make them echo some of the PJ live power and music muscle that makes the tight live show so good.
    Mansfield 6/30/08
    Boston 5/17/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
    Central Park 9/26/15
    Philadelphia 4/29/16 (TEN)
    Fenway Park 8/5/16
    Fenway Park 9/4/18
    St. Paul 9/2/23

Ev Solo Providence 6/15/11
  • Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 935
  • Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 935
    middle-of-the-road stint in the ‘00s with lacklustre, bluesy albums ‘Binaural’ and 2006’s self-titled snoozer,

Wow. Clueless I feel 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,568
    Yeah that NME review was rather unhelpful.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 750
    It’s behind a paywall but the Rolling Stone review just went up.   It’s positive - “ with Dark Matter, the band has rarely sounded more essential”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/pearl-jam-dark-matter-review-1235005622/

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Options
    Overall, though, the record is a potent reminder of Pearl Jam’s enduring power. They may be elder statesmen of grunge now, but they can still pack a punch that would make their younger selves proud. This is a record that rewards repeated listens, revealing hidden depths and unexpected twists with each spin. ‘Let us not fade,’ repeats Eddie at the end of melancholic closing track, “Setting Sun.” On the strength of these songs, there seems little risk of that.

My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    Mods: Is there any way to merge all of the reflections and thoughts from the theater showings in the Dark Matter in the Dark thread and keep this one dedicated to published reviews from the music press?
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,468
    Overall, though, the record is a potent reminder of Pearl Jam’s enduring power. They may be elder statesmen of grunge now, but they can still pack a punch that would make their younger selves proud. This is a record that rewards repeated listens, revealing hidden depths and unexpected twists with each spin. ‘Let us not fade,’ repeats Eddie at the end of melancholic closing track, “Setting Sun.” On the strength of these songs, there seems little risk of that.

I like the very last line of this review:

It’s not a return to form; it’s simply Pearl Jam being Pearl Jam, and that’s something truly special.

• Options
    TJ25487 said:

I like the very last line of this review:

It’s not a return to form; it’s simply Pearl Jam being Pearl Jam, and that’s something truly special.

Amen, brother.
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,614
    edited April 18
    It’s behind a paywall but the Rolling Stone review just went up.   It’s positive - “ with Dark Matter, the band has rarely sounded more essential”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/pearl-jam-dark-matter-review-1235005622/

Pearl Jam Dig Deep and Find a New Light on ‘Dark Matter’

John Lonsdale 4/17/2024

Pearl Jam Dig Deep and Find a New Light on ‘Dark Matter’The group worked with producer Andrew Watt for its rocking, reflective 12th studio album, and made one of its best LPs
    pearl jam dark matter album review
    Danny Clinch*

It kicks off with a big emotional bang: “We used to laugh/We used to sing/We used to dance/We used to believe,” Eddie Vedder sings on “Scared of Fear,” the rocking opener from Pearl Jam’s 12th studio album, one of their best and most personal records ever. When it came time to work on their follow-up to 2020’s Gigaton, band members headed out to Rick Rubin’s Shangri-La Studios in Malibu and worked with versatile producer Andrew Watt, who helmed Vedder’s 2022 solo album, Earthling, and has worked with everyone from Iggy Pop to pop superstars like Miley Cyrus, Dua Lipa, and Post Malone.

Post edited by Sea on
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    edited April 17
    Metacritic score: 85/100
    Not too shabby. One of the highest-rated albums of the year.
    https://www.metacritic.com/music/dark-matter/pearl-jam
    Post edited by bicyclejoe on
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,405
    After sleeping on it, I think there are still too many lyrics just in general. Also still wish the echo type effect that they use often with Ed is saved for solo stuff or forgotten moving forward. I bet I will enjoy every one of these more live. 

Still a damn good record and looking forward to spinning it a lot!
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Financial Times 

Pearl Jam: Dark Matter album review — a grunge band still in full flight

The grunge band launch themselves into their latest record with wholehearted, full-throated commitment

https://www.ft.com/content/979f5683-e695-4fb2-9532-3cc729b11524
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,273
    Using the term "grunge" with present day Pearl Jam is just silly. Kick up the nostalgia and rehash some classic stereotypes that haven't been relevant in 30 years. 
    It's a hopeless situation...