albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,177
    edited April 18
    I think it’s fair. They helped define the grunge era (and were arguably more popular than Nirvana). It’s hard to separate the two. I saw it as more of compliment and pin on the map. I’d rather them be defined as grunge than classic rock. Past the headline, it’s a great review. 
    Post edited by bicyclejoe on
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    https://blabbermouth.net/reviews/dark-matter

Blabbermouth Metal Magazine
    9/10

PEARL JAM have nothing to prove at this point, but they're still not a band to just release music without putting the time and effort into it. "Dark Matter" is an engaging listen from front to back, and what's comforting to the listener is that the album sounds 100% like PEARL JAM. There's not much experimentation here, but when you're one of a handful of bands that really pioneered an entire musical genre, you don't need to experiment. PEARL JAM are masters at their brand of driving grunge sound and impressionistic lyrics, and "Dark Matter"is simply the next step.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,224
    https://blabbermouth.net/reviews/dark-matter

Blabbermouth Metal Magazine
    9/10

PEARL JAM have nothing to prove at this point, but they're still not a band to just release music without putting the time and effort into it. "Dark Matter" is an engaging listen from front to back, and what's comforting to the listener is that the album sounds 100% like PEARL JAM. There's not much experimentation here, but when you're one of a handful of bands that really pioneered an entire musical genre, you don't need to experiment. PEARL JAM are masters at their brand of driving grunge sound and impressionistic lyrics, and "Dark Matter"is simply the next step.
    Skipped right over Wreckage LOL. Otherwise, very nice, I like.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,161
    tbergs said:
    Using the term "grunge" with present day Pearl Jam is just silly. Kick up the nostalgia and rehash some classic stereotypes that haven't been relevant in 30 years. 
    Gotta adjust expectations based on the publication
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,568
    That FT review talked about Nirvana the first two paragraphs. I was out.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,997
    I love Nirvana but I think in 2024, 30 years after they ostensibly ended, we can talk PJ without mentioning Nirvana.

• Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,757
    I love Nirvana but I think in 2024, 30 years after they ostensibly ended, we can talk PJ without mentioning Nirvana.

I agree.

I’m sure they will always link them though til the end of time. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,161
    For decades Financial Times has been my go-to for new album reviews but now I have no idea what to think anymore 
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,671
    My initial reaction is that this album is all over the place and has no flow. A lot of styles going on, and too many for it's own good. It definitely has it's moments, but the lows are very low. I'll give it more time, but if this isnt the worst PJ album in the catalog, it's probably only better than lightning bolt which isn't saying much.

For me wreckage, won't tell and something special were the lows. Upper hand, setting sun, scared of fear and running were my initial highlights. Waiting for Stevie has some great moments, and also some parts I'm not really fond of.

This album is a lot to digest....but for now I'm feeling a 6/10

And yes, I know my review sucks.
  • Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 398
    pjl44 said:
    For decades Financial Times has been my go-to for new album reviews but now I have no idea what to think anymore 
    Hahahahaha

I don't know - I feel like Yahoo Finance is just a little better for album reviews. Rolling Stone is a distant third... ;)
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    Lifted said:
    My initial reaction is that this album is all over the place and has no flow. A lot of styles going on, and too many for it's own good. It definitely has it's moments, but the lows are very low. I'll give it more time, but if this isnt the worst PJ album in the catalog, it's probably only better than lightning bolt which isn't saying much.

For me wreckage, won't tell and something special were the lows. Upper hand, setting sun, scared of fear and running were my initial highlights. Waiting for Stevie has some great moments, and also some parts I'm not really fond of.

I don’t think your review sucks. It’s honest and thoughtful. 
    Personally, based on what I’ve heard, I’d give it 8/10. Of course, I really loved Gigaton, Riot Act and Avocado. I’m also a big U2 fan (up until 2005, at least), so I appreciate the band’s occasional homage to them in Dark Matter.

I would rank Dark Matter as my seventh favorite Pearl Jam album at this point, with Lightning Bolt being the low point.
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 651
    T-Bone 82 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Hahahahaha

I don't know - I feel like Yahoo Finance is just a little better for album reviews. Rolling Stone is a distant third... ;)
    The jokes certainly write themselves, but honestly the fact that Finacial Times gave it a review at all, let alone a positive one, speaks to the surprising reach of and affection for this album. It’s getting reviewed almost everywhere (including oddball places like this) and all the reviews have been good to absolutely glowing… well except from a few individual fans. 

Yes, I realize P4K will probably put an end to that.
  • Options
    Lifted said:

6/10? Now I feel like you’re trolling. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 334
    Lifted said:

Thanks for your review!!! 
    PS- Nobody cares🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,860
    PJammin' said:
    Lifted said:

Why? Is it crazy to think someone may not enjoy it as much as you? 
  • Options
    edited April 18
    Exactly.
  • Options
    edited April 18
    nicknyr15 said:
    PJammin' said:
    Lifted said:

I ranked it 6/10 after hearing it the first time, but  it has grown on me after spending time with it.
  • Options
    Haijay said:
    Lifted said:

Thanks for your review!!! 
    PS- Nobody cares🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
    Honest question: What’s with the cruelty? 
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,224

I would rank Dark Matter as my seventh favorite Pearl Jam album at this point, with Lightning Bolt being the low point.
    This is not only very realistic, but in all honesty about what we should expect. Hope for better, but many people will never have anything crack their top 5.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 836
    edited April 18
    9/10  - even if they just released Upper Hand and Waiting For Stevie with no other songs

I can also name like 4 of the new songs that I would actually want to hear freaking live in the encore!  Can’t say that about any of the other most recent 4 albums. 

if you know, you know :)

🤘🏼
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • Options
    edited April 18
    spankyMP said:

This is not only very realistic, but in all honesty about what we should expect. Hope for better, but many people will never have anything crack their top 5.
    True. It’s hard for any band to beat that initial run of five albums from PJ, including PJ itself.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    PJammin' said:
    Lifted said:

That’s not the issue. The issue is giving it a 6. NO WAY is it a 6. That’s B.S.
  • Options
    kmcmanus said:
    T-Bone 82 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Hahahahaha

The jokes certainly write themselves, but honestly the fact that Finacial Times gave it a review at all, let alone a positive one, speaks to the surprising reach of and affection for this album. It’s getting reviewed almost everywhere (including oddball places like this) and all the reviews have been good to absolutely glowing… well except from a few individual fans. 

Yes, I realize P4K will probably put an end to that.
    It has Universal Acclaim as one of the year’s top reviewed albums over at Metacrific: https://www.metacritic.com/music/dark-matter/pearl-jam
  • Options
    Anyone giving this album a 6 is a troll. I don’t care. 
  • Options
    edited April 18
    PJammin' said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    PJammin' said:
    Lifted said:

So, your issue IS that someone has a different opinion than you. It happens. It’s all part of being in a community. We are one, but different in our own ways, which contributes to the rich tapestry of our shared fandom.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,264
    I wish more people hated it, we all know why  =)

Just empty threats  ;)
  • Options
    drandodrando Posts: 68
    I hear quite a few Punk influences, One song had some Cure like guitar work.  I am still working through it, but so far I am enjoying it very much.  I can't complain, Its new music from Pearl Jam which makes me happy.
  • Options
    edited April 18
    PJammin' said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    PJammin' said:
    Lifted said:

So, your issue IS that someone has a different opinion than you. It happens. It’s all part of being in a community. We are one, but different in our own ways, which contributes to the tapestry of our fandom.
    You can have a different opinion. 6/10 ranking comes from the trolls. That’s it.  6/10 isn’t accurate at all. 

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,860
    edited April 18
    PJammin' said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    PJammin' said:
    Lifted said:

According to who though?? I’m not understanding how you could possibly think that no one could think this album is a 6/10 or less. I give Gigaton a 4/10. Am I a troll? Such a weird stance to not understand just how subjective art is.