Options

First time going to Fenway - any advice?

Comments

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,836
    BF25394 said:
    Loujoe said:
    If u want to meet ev...(the rest of the band just waved and cruised by) after the show...go have fun...maybe bring person you are with back to hotel...come back to fenway and wait outside with a few others. You'll find them. Last show I went to he came out to say hi at 4am. Scored a couple of picks and didn't feel like sleeping anyway.
    My first Pearl Jam show was in Boston in 1994. It was also the only time I've ever met any of the core members of the band, despite having seen them 70 times now. At their hotel after the show (a guy I went to school with was from Seattle and knew where they were staying somehow; he was with me), I met Ed, Jeff and Dave in the lobby. They were all very friendly. Ed chatted with a few of us for several minutes. So did Jeff. I asked Jeff what the new songs they played that night were called, and I learned from him that the titles were "Corduroy" and "Immortality," which was pretty cool.
     B)

• Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,511
    BF25394 said:
    Loujoe said:
    If u want to meet ev...(the rest of the band just waved and cruised by) after the show...go have fun...maybe bring person you are with back to hotel...come back to fenway and wait outside with a few others. You'll find them. Last show I went to he came out to say hi at 4am. Scored a couple of picks and didn't feel like sleeping anyway.
    My first Pearl Jam show was in Boston in 1994. It was also the only time I've ever met any of the core members of the band, despite having seen them 70 times now. At their hotel after the show (a guy I went to school with was from Seattle and knew where they were staying somehow; he was with me), I met Ed, Jeff and Dave in the lobby. They were all very friendly. Ed chatted with a few of us for several minutes. So did Jeff. I asked Jeff what the new songs they played that night were called, and I learned from him that the titles were "Corduroy" and "Immortality," which was pretty cool.
    My college buddies and I tried to go to these shows, even went to the Garden to see if we could get cheap tix. If I remember correctly Eddie either kicked through the stage or came up the stage wearing basketball sneakers, we’re it was joked they were Larry Birds.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,331
    BF25394 said:
    Loujoe said:
    My college buddies and I tried to go to these shows, even went to the Garden to see if we could get cheap tix. If I remember correctly Eddie either kicked through the stage or came up the stage wearing basketball sneakers, we’re it was joked they were Larry Birds.
    Yes, during "Blood" he rammed a hole in the stage with the mic stand and then climbed down through it, out of sight. This was the April 11 show. (They also played there the night before.)
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Ew276016Ew276016 Posts: 54
    I didn't know that happened at a Boston show. ( or that Eddie had never worn a pair of white shoes before. LOL) Love hearing all the stories and keep them coming. 

I'll be down in the area for the better part of 4 days so i will definitely be on the hunt for the best chowder and lobster rolls. Also, when heading home i'm hoping to hit the ocean side and drive up the coast, If anyone has any hidden gems to check out? 
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,961
    Do a tour of Fenway if possible.  Very cool. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,930
    JojoRice said:

See if you can find the Sam "Mayday" Malone jersey.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,961
    JimmyV said:
    JojoRice said:

See if you can find the Sam "Mayday" Malone jersey.
    One of the best pitchers in BoSox history!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,996
    GlowGirl said:
    Ew276016 said:
    Capacity for PJ show at Fenway is about 40,000 guessing. Trying to navigate through the mob as you say will  be fun for the first time. I wonder if there are many choices to get a bite to eat after the show just outside of Fenway? A bowl of Hot Chowder would be great on a cool night!

If you want good seafood, you may want to seek it out before the shows, or maybe on the off day in between. Jimmy mentioned Union Oyster house which is an iconic spot and probably as good as any. It's < 4 miles from Fenway, and if you have the legs for it, would make for a very nice walk up Comm Ave from Fenway and through the Public Gardens / Boston Common / Beacon Hill area. If not, it won't be too expensive of an uber or cab if it's not at a peak time / rush hour. UOH is down near the north end, and Faneuil Hall & other iconic spots, so you may want to spend some of that off day exploring that area. 

I would recommend avoiding Chinatown and the theater district late night... those are the only two neighborhoods between Fenway & downtown I would be wary of. (truth be told, I might walk around rather than through the public gardens and common if it's well into the night as well... better safe than sorry) 
    In 2018 we ate at Union Oyster. It was crowded, but the food was amazing. We then took a walk and passed Paul Revere’s house and stopped at Mike’s Pastry - a well known Italian bakery - for a cannoli. 
    I love cannoli so much
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,515
    GlowGirl said:
    Ew276016 said:
    Capacity for PJ show at Fenway is about 40,000 guessing. Trying to navigate through the mob as you say will  be fun for the first time. I wonder if there are many choices to get a bite to eat after the show just outside of Fenway? A bowl of Hot Chowder would be great on a cool night!

If you want good seafood, you may want to seek it out before the shows, or maybe on the off day in between. Jimmy mentioned Union Oyster house which is an iconic spot and probably as good as any. It's < 4 miles from Fenway, and if you have the legs for it, would make for a very nice walk up Comm Ave from Fenway and through the Public Gardens / Boston Common / Beacon Hill area. If not, it won't be too expensive of an uber or cab if it's not at a peak time / rush hour. UOH is down near the north end, and Faneuil Hall & other iconic spots, so you may want to spend some of that off day exploring that area. 

I would recommend avoiding Chinatown and the theater district late night... those are the only two neighborhoods between Fenway & downtown I would be wary of. (truth be told, I might walk around rather than through the public gardens and common if it's well into the night as well... better safe than sorry) 
    In 2018 we ate at Union Oyster. It was crowded, but the food was amazing. We then took a walk and passed Paul Revere’s house and stopped at Mike’s Pastry - a well known Italian bakery - for a cannoli. 
    I love cannoli so much
    My high school GF was Italian, and her Nonna made the best food, including the best cannoli I have ever had. When the GF broke up with me, I missed Nonna's food more than the GF.
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,237
    GlowGirl said:
    Ew276016 said:

I love cannoli so much
    My high school GF was Italian, and her Nonna made the best food, including the best cannoli I have ever had. When the GF broke up with me, I missed Nonna's food more than the GF.
    Ha! 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,996
    My partner is Italian... I never knew of cannoli before..
     I do now. And nonnas will feed you so much to the point of diabetes!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I never liked cannolis and we had some good ones where I grew up. Lemon ice hell yes!
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,240
    BF25394 said:
    Loujoe said:
    The Charles Hotel. 
    By staying outside, I only managed to meet and chat with Mike. Had met Jeff the night before at the rear alley entry to the Orpheum pre-show.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    edited March 28
    Poncier said:
    BF25394 said:
    Loujoe said:
    The Charles Hotel. 
    By staying outside, I only managed to meet and chat with Mike. Had met Jeff the night before at the rear alley entry to the Orpheum pre-show.
    Yup. See below. (The WAAF sticker is Ed; the lower right is Dave.) And I think the Orpheum was the next night, on the 12th, no?

EDIT: Are people able to see the attachment?
    Post edited by BF25394 on
  • Options
    Yes it works. Love the old ticket stubs
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    Poncier said:
    BF25394 said:
    Loujoe said:
    The Charles Hotel. 
    Yup. See below. (The WAAF sticker is Ed; the lower right is Dave.) And I think the Orpheum was the next night, on the 12th, no?

I met Mike the day after the Orpheum show (4/13). Was driving through Harvard Sq area for work, had known they were staying at the Charles (Boston Herald's celebrity gossip column at the time "The Inside track" had mentioned it), so diverted by the hotel and saw the bus out front running/being loaded so stopped, and was standing outside for a few minutes, one other (female) fan was there so we chatted , then all of a sudden Mike walked out and was headed right towards us. We said hello, he stopped to chat for a few minutes (he was mind blown that I had seen all 3 Boston shows, that pales in comparison to what some of the fanbase does nowadays), signed an autograph for each of us, then went off into Harvard Sq. Returned a few minutes later with a box with some coffees and Snapples and such for the guys loading the bus. didn't see any of the other guys and eventually had to move on as I was on the clock. Found out the next day (from the same column in the Herald) that Ed had stayed behind so he could go to the Celtics game even though SNL had required them in NYC for rehearsals.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    BF25394 said:
    Poncier said:
    BF25394 said:
    Loujoe said:
    The Charles Hotel. 

I met Mike the day after the Orpheum show (4/13). Was driving through Harvard Sq area for work, had known they were staying at the Charles (Boston Herald's celebrity gossip column at the time "The Inside track" had mentioned it), so diverted by the hotel and saw the bus out front running/being loaded so stopped, and was standing outside for a few minutes, one other (female) fan was there so we chatted , then all of a sudden Mike walked out and was headed right towards us. We said hello, he stopped to chat for a few minutes (he was mind blown that I had seen all 3 Boston shows, that pales in comparison to what some of the fanbase does nowadays), signed an autograph for each of us, then went off into Harvard Sq. Returned a few minutes later with a box with some coffees and Snapples and such for the guys loading the bus. didn't see any of the other guys and eventually had to move on as I was on the clock. Found out the next day (from the same column in the Herald) that Ed had stayed behind so he could go to the Celtics game even though SNL had required them in NYC for rehearsals.
    On the night of the 11th, the van was bringing them back from the Garden in pairs. Dave and Jeff were the first to arrive, and both came through the lobby, then Mike and Ed, but Mike went around the side instead of coming through the lobby. He was probably tired. Anyway, in the conversation with Ed, I asked him where they were headed next, and he said, "We're going to go do that show," in reference to Saturday Night Live. (This was only Monday. Based on your story, they must not have headed to New York until Thursday.) I just thought it was funny that he said it that way.
  • Options
    Apparently, they headed out Wednesday for NYC and SNL except for Ed who hung in Boston to take in the Celtics game Wednesday night. Assume he went to NYC on Thursday.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Apparently, they headed out Wednesday for NYC and SNL except for Ed who hung in Boston to take in the Celtics game Wednesday night. Assume he went to NYC on Thursday.
    Sorry. You said Ed stayed behind and I misread it as the whole band stayed behind.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    edited March 29
    Went to Fenway show in 2016 and parking was $60 back then, if you can, avoid driving and having to park.  Even if it means paying extra for hotel, trust me, avoiding the traffic and parking nightmare will be worth it.  Get there early as it was a mad house.  And definitely at least do the walk around the underground concourse, a lot of cool Red Sox stuff to see, even if you're not a BoSox fan.  It's history, oldest ballpark park in the country.   Went to my first baseball game there as a young girl, fell in love with the game there.  Holds a very special place in my heart.
    Post edited by PureandEasy on
  • Options
    Went to Fenway show in 2016 and parking was $60 back then, if you can, avoid driving and having to park.  Even if it means paying extra for hotel, trust me, avoiding the traffic and parking nightmare will be worth it.  Get there early as it was a mad house.  And definitely at least do the walk around the underground concourse, a lot of cool Red Sox stuff to see, even if you're not a BoSox fan.  It's history, oldest ballpark park in the country.   Went to my first baseball game there as a young girl, fell in love with the game there.  Holds a very special place in my heart.
    I am very much looking forward to seeing and feeling the history of Fenway! So I have a question about 2016 shows. Do you or anyone else remember how early the line ups were for merchandise outside the venue? Also, did they have show specific T shirts for each night? Just curious if there will be for a need to line up for both shows to get a shirt?
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,510
    Ew276016 said:
    I am very much looking forward to seeing and feeling the history of Fenway! So I have a question about 2016 shows. Do you or anyone else remember how early the line ups were for merchandise outside the venue? Also, did they have show specific T shirts for each night? Just curious if there will be for a need to line up for both shows to get a shirt?
    They'll probably have a popup store on Jersey St as they did the last two times they played here... if so, the store will be open the days of the shows, as well as the off day in between. (I don't know this for a fact, but they love selling their merch, so I can't see why they would change it up now) 

If you're in & out of the Fenway area all three days, you should have a good chance of scoring everything you want. 
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,873
    Ew276016 said:
    Definitely go the day between the shows, especially if your car/hotel isn't nearby. We did this in 2016 and 2018, and it is sooo much less stress. In 2018, the stands opened at 8:00. We got there around 7:00 (maybe a bit earlier) grabbed some coffee with our fellow weirdos, got our merch, then went and had breakfast. I don't think they did unique shirts for each night either time. I know they did for Toronto in 2016 (I am STILL jealous of the hockey jerseys (and Binaural)), but the Fenway shows have been the same merch each night. If they did do day-specific shirts, I wouldn't be surprised if they were both available the day between the shows.

"I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    OK cool! Yes, I’ll be in town for a few days so trying to plan what to see and do. Just hope standing in a merch line burn the whole day. 

• Options
    mpedone said:
    Ew276016 said:
    Definitely go the day between the shows, especially if your car/hotel isn't nearby. We did this in 2016 and 2018, and it is sooo much less stress. In 2018, the stands opened at 8:00. We got there around 7:00 (maybe a bit earlier) grabbed some coffee with our fellow weirdos, got our merch, then went and had breakfast. I don't think they did unique shirts for each night either time. I know they did for Toronto in 2016 (I am STILL jealous of the hockey jerseys (and Binaural)), but the Fenway shows have been the same merch each night. If they did do day-specific shirts, I wouldn't be surprised if they were both available the day between the shows.

In 2016 & 2018 they did have show specific shirts, posters (obvi), hats, pins, fuggin' socks, pregnancy tests, suppositories, etc etc 
  • Options
    LMFAO 🤣 
  • Options
    mpedone said:
    Ew276016 said:

In 2016 & 2018 they did have show specific shirts, posters (obvi), hats, pins, fuggin' socks, pregnancy tests, suppositories, etc etc 
    But not for each night. They have multiple posters, but they had both dates. Same with the shirts.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

• Options
    Ew276016 said:
    OK cool! Yes, I’ll be in town for a few days so trying to plan what to see and do. Just hope standing in a merch line burn the whole day. 

We've done 4 different merch lines (Fenway in 2016 and 2018, Hamilton and Toronto in 2022). It's a couple of hours, but never felt like we'd wasted the whole day. Your other option is to make friends with someone from the area who's going to be there anyway and ask them to grab you a couple of things (don't go crazy) so that you can enjoy a city you've never seen before.

• Options
    mpedone said:
    mpedone said:
    Ew276016 said:

But not for each night. They have multiple posters, but they had both dates. Same with the shirts.
    Ah, fair point. You are correct... yes, they were venue specific, but not night specific. 
  • Options
    Perfect, so really only need to do the merch line once. One stop shopping is ideal.