darkmatter.pearljam.com

Comments

• Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    JKestle said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    How is vinyl better than the best quality digital unless you want the auditory artifacts and the crackling etc?

If that's your experience with vinyl, you're not doing it right.
    This
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,692
    dwjmu84 said:
    I like Cds because I can listen to them in my work computer. Our network blocks streaming services and the building I work in has no cell signal, so unless I download a bunch of music to my phone to listen to offline, I am pretty limited. 
    Your company/office uses computers with CD drives?

I don't think I've seen such a thing since 2012.  Weird.

I'm not sure I've held a CD in my hand since maybe 2010. I mean...you literally cannot buy cars with CD players (and it's been that way for a handful of years).  I'm just so fascinated by the idea of people buying/using them.
    Yep, we are on the cutting edge of technology.
    And I should say, not all vinyl is the same. Some are juat digital rips made into vinyl. Older vinyl in particular usually sounds better. But they are getting better at making consistently better sounding vinyl now.  Gotta use the original tapes.

But yeah, the best sounding vinyl setup is better than most digital sounds. And CDs (as long as they arent the recent cheap mp3 discs) are probably the best overall quality. Even then, great vinyl is much more rich sounding.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 387
    Vedd Hedd said:
    JKestle said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    How is vinyl better than the best quality digital unless you want the auditory artifacts and the crackling etc?

This
    I thought that was part of the appeal of vinyl? The warmth and crackling (imperfections).

It's not really up for debate that vinyl is not the most high quality medium, is it?

What am I missing?
    dwjmu84 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    JKestle said:
    dwjmu84 said:

This
    I thought that was part of the appeal of vinyl? The warmth and crackling (imperfections).

It's not really up for debate that vinyl is not the most high quality medium, is it?

What am I missing?
    Warmth, yes. Crackling, not typically. Sure a few pops here and there bring about some nostalgia. But if you are hearing constant crackles, its not being done right.

There are great quality digital formats. Not all digital is created equally either, right? MP3 vs FLAC, and so on up the ladder.

But spatially, after listening to all formats, I still hear the best from a great vinyl setup.  I'm sure it's subjective. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
    Vedd Hedd said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    JKestle said:
    dwjmu84 said:

This

What am I missing?
    Warmth, yes. Crackling, not typically. Sure a few pops here and there bring about some nostalgia. But if you are hearing constant crackles, its not being done right.

There are great quality digital formats. Not all digital is created equally either, right? MP3 vs FLAC, and so on up the ladder.

But spatially, after listening to all formats, I still hear the best from a great vinyl setup.  I'm sure it's subjective. 
    Interesting!

yes - there are echelons of digital.

i have two Sonos five speakers and am looking to pair a record player with these. Of course, I can go wireless but that almost defeats the analog concept here. I can also use a hard line in to the speakers but will have to search around for something that will come out of the player and split to each speaker (while keeping stereo). 

dwjmu84 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    JKestle said:
    dwjmu84 said:

This

What am I missing?

Interesting!

yes - there are echelons of digital.

i have two Sonos five speakers and am looking to pair a record player with these. Of course, I can go wireless but that almost defeats the analog concept here. I can also use a hard line in to the speakers but will have to search around for something that will come out of the player and split to each speaker (while keeping stereo). 

Yeah something in me still feels like it has to be hard wired. I'm sure there is a good wireless setup too, but I don't know. Seems like interference from other signals would compromise the sound or playback or something. 

I will say this...I am looking forward to hearing Dark Matter in true dolby atmos. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,537
    dwjmu84 said:
    Just couldn’t keep it in the complainer thread?
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
    Seattle 5.30.2024  Noblesville 8.26.2024  Chicago 8.29.2024  Chicago 8.31.2024 
    Kwieneke said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    This is a thread about the DM observer. I made an observation. No need to get your panties in a bunch. 
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,108
    Hope we get new song teasers before album drops. Seems like short clips should be a non issue.
  • chrisr211977chrisr211977 Posts: 93
    That would make sense. A third single would be appropriate.
    I don't believe nothin', even if it's true.
    "That's a vibe" - Ryan Miller

9/11/2022 - Madison Square Garden, New York
    Other bands
    Guster - 8/12/2023
    Guster - 3/30/2024
    Guster - 8/11/2024
    Built to Spill - 9/1/2024
    Anyone else wondering why they rolled this out 2 1/2 weeks ago and then added nothing? If they were going to wait until closer to 4/19 to post clips then fine, but just roll it out then. Just seems odd….
    dwjmu84 said:
    Anyone else wondering why they rolled this out 2 1/2 weeks ago and then added nothing? If they were going to wait until closer to 4/19 to post clips then fine, but just roll it out then. Just seems odd….
    My guess is that people today have a limited attention span. The week before release I expect more activity. Prob get more clips then.  I would expect the 3rd single to be available just before release, or up to a couple of weeks after release. 

Back in the day, hype would have to build, things get sent out, etc. With instant downloads/streaming, a lot less people are buying physical copies of stuff, so they let the fan club know about it early cause we buy the multiple copies of things. Then a big push the week before and the week during release. I would think there might also be a 4th single released sometime during the tour.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,362
    Kwieneke said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    It’s a valid point. Pearl Jam misses huge on this. 
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,945
    Vedd Hedd said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    My guess is that people today have a limited attention span. The week before release I expect more activity. Prob get more clips then.  I would expect the 3rd single to be available just before release, or up to a couple of weeks after release. 

Back in the day, hype would have to build, things get sent out, etc. With instant downloads/streaming, a lot less people are buying physical copies of stuff, so they let the fan club know about it early cause we buy the multiple copies of things. Then a big push the week before and the week during release. I would think there might also be a 4th single released sometime during the tour.
    Referring to fans or the band?

"I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
    mpedone said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    dwjmu84 said:

Referring to fans or the band?

Neither, explicitly.  More just life today. The build up used to be a real slow burn, with radio and media occurring sooner. I think those things still happen, but more closer to the release of the album so people don't forget about it.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
    And still nothing new on this?

Man. Would have been fun to digest/discuss clips over the past couple weeks. There’s still time but with the record store preview we are only talking about a week until the masses hear this and it leaks since they are getting digital copies. 
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,154
    dwjmu84 said:

Maybe new stuff added next week.
    *crossing fingers 
    demetrios said:
    dwjmu84 said:

Maybe new stuff added next week.
    *crossing fingers 
    Very puzzling. Was pretty excited about clips rolling out periodically when they posted running, and then nothing.

now I don’t even care w the release so close. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,425
    Something Special? 

Cant get the volume to work on mine
  • Sirens4Sirens4 Posts: 590
    Still Running 
    Springfield 94 hartford 96,98,06,08 xl center 2010,2013 boston 06,2010 mansfield ma 1998,2000,2003,2008
    mine is something special. make sure your ringer is on or it wont play 
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
  • Sirens4Sirens4 Posts: 590
    Yes it’s Something Special now
    Springfield 94 hartford 96,98,06,08 xl center 2010,2013 boston 06,2010 mansfield ma 1998,2000,2003,2008
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,154
    Sirens4 said:
    Yes it’s Something Special now

Wonderful!
  • brookelilybrookelily Bethel Park, PA Posts: 238
    Nice little chugging bass line from JA
    8/16/92
    9/24/96, 9/28/96
    8/25/98, 9/18/98
    9/5/00
    4/26/03
    6/23/06
    10/28/09
    10/11/13, 10/12/13
    10/1/14
    9/2/18, 9/4/18
    9/18/21
    i like it, even if it is a little cheesy 
  • just_onejust_one Posts: 2,114
    cant do the site now , is something special out now?