Mrs Mills
    Long Way

Shitty Sound
    Power of Right
    Good and Evil
    Rose of Jericho
    Try
    Picture

For me the harder songs sound like Noise, Im sure Dark Matter wil be better in that regard, one can hope
    Post edited by CROJAM95 on
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    edited March 20
    I always thought Alice in Chains records had the best production out of the Seattle scene.  Had more polish to them.  Don't mind seeing what Watt will bring to the table.  It will be a jolt I'm sure from the minimalist approach we are used to. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    edited March 20
    If Andrew Watt is "super polished" and before has been a "minimalist approach". Then I'm lost. Because I don't hear much being minimalist about the last releases, or most stuff PJ have released. Sounds like stuff has been tinkered with and sculpted a bunch.

I think Nirvana had the best production out of Seattle, in that the albums feel very live and direct. But not sloppy or lo-fi ofc. Bit I respect the artistic throughline sonically of Ten. Everything is soaked in the same vibe and atmosphere. Like a wave you follow through the whole album.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • BH76306BH76306 Posts: 96
    Here's what Stone had to say re: "Running" in the Spin interview...

On ‘Running,’ it’s rare to hear a Pearl Jam song with this chant-y, gang vocal chorus. It just sounds like fun.

Jeff had the main parts for that one, and we worked it over as a band. I love the bridge. I don’t know what the hell those chords are that Mike’s playing, but it sounds original. It’s one of the last ones we recorded at Shangri-La, and it was fun to come up with one more uptempo song. Ed’s vocal dexterity here and on a few other spots on the album is just stunning. Same thing goes with that second verse of ‘React, Respond’ where he’s almost frickin’ rapping.

• dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 387
    so no clip today? bummer...
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319
    CROJAM95 said:
    Rick Passed away correct? 

My Take on Earthling

Produced well
    Invincible
    Brother the Cloud
    Fallout Today
    The Dark
    Mrs Mills
    Long Way

Shitty Sound
    Power of Right
    Good and Evil
    Rose of Jericho
    Try
    Picture

For me the harder songs sound like Noise, Im sure Dark Matter wil be better in that regard, one can hope
    Yes, Rick died in 2014. He not only produced Ten, which is one of my eleven favorite Pearl Jam albums, but he also produced Blind Melon, which is probably one of my three favorite albums by any artist. Rest in peace, Rick.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,641
    Even more important than production imo is song order. Pearl Jam always starts with a rocker, then mid tempo by song 3, crappier songs in 9/10 spot and slow end song. Was hoping this would break that pattern….
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,154
    Vedd Hedd said:
    deb1211 said:
    I love how this sounds

• kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 722
    BF25394 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    Rick Passed away correct? 

My Take on Earthling

Produced well
    Invincible
    Brother the Cloud
    Fallout Today
    The Dark
    Mrs Mills
    Long Way

Shitty Sound
    Power of Right
    Good and Evil
    Rose of Jericho
    Try
    Picture

Yes, Rick died in 2014. He not only produced Ten, which is one of my eleven favorite Pearl Jam albums, but he also produced Blind Melon, which is probably one of my three favorite albums by any artist. Rest in peace, Rick.
    He also produced Temple
    Even more important than production imo is song order. Pearl Jam always starts with a rocker, then mid tempo by song 3, crappier songs in 9/10 spot and slow end song. Was hoping this would break that pattern….
    You can play the songs in whichever order you like, but you can't undo the production.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,432
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    I pointed my flip phone at the sky and it played all 48 minutes of the album. Thanks, Pearl Jam, for continuing to embrace old-school technology.
    I bet your arm is tired and your battery is shot.
    Are you kidding? The battery lasts forever on that thing.
    That's what she said.

• spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,747
    Spunkie said:
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    I pointed my flip phone at the sky and it played all 48 minutes of the album. Thanks, Pearl Jam, for continuing to embrace old-school technology.
    I bet your arm is tired and your battery is shot.
    Are you kidding? The battery lasts forever on that thing.
    That's what she said.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
    The Dark Matter Observer

The Dark Matter Observer

Experience elements of Dark Matter by using this app to observe the sky with your phone’s camera. Directions can be found here.
    OBSERVE NOW (MOBILE ONLY)
    So, when will the next new song go up?
    It’s odd that it’s been over a week with no follow up clips. 

What a sputter
  • Sirens4Sirens4 Posts: 590
    They should do at least one a week since the album is 3 weeks away!
    Springfield 94 hartford 96,98,06,08 xl center 2010,2013 boston 06,2010 mansfield ma 1998,2000,2003,2008
    Sirens4 said:
    They should do at least one a week since the album is 3 weeks away!
    We are three weeks out from the album being widely listened to (theaters). 3 per week with 9 songs to go, you would think. Who knows. The promotion for this record, thus far, has not seemed to have any real strategy. Maybe they’re thinking they’ll do most of the heavy lifting after it’s out?
    They're enjoying their biggest hit in 18 years. They're doing something right.
    BF25394 said:
    The music is the hit. It sells itself.  A completely separate idea from what I'm addressing, which is a deliberate marketing strategy for the record.

Don't conflate the two - distinct concepts.
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    The music is the hit. It sells itself.  A completely separate idea from what I'm addressing, which is a deliberate marketing strategy for the record.

Thanks for educating me about the music business.
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 722
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:

If the music sells itself why is there a need to market the record? It sells itself.
    BF25394 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:

I expressed an opinion about the way the record is being promoted (lack of clear strategy in my view). You diverted and made a comment about DM’s success (I assume) on charts (ha) so far. 

These are separate concepts, so it’s not an education about the music biz you may need, but rather, an education in staying on topic. Or, you can read my opinion, disagree, and move on. 

Another group think foot soldier in this message board who just can’t stand an alternate opinion. 
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    edited March 26
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:

I expressed an opinion about the way the record is being promoted (lack of clear strategy in my view). You diverted and made a comment about DM’s success (I assume) on charts (ha) so far. 

These are separate concepts, so it’s not an education about the music biz you may need, but rather, an education in staying on topic. Or, you can read my opinion, disagree, and move on. 

Another group think foot soldier in this message board who just can’t stand an alternate opinion. 
    They released Dark Matter.

They did the visual dark matter finder.

A vinyl single for Dark Matter.

Several clips on march madness and nhl tv.

They have 12 variants of the record, based on regions for Record Store Day. In addition to several regular variants now available in the store, and the original record store day version.

They have a one night only showing of the album in theaters just before the album drops.

They released Running.

They have had several listening parties.

Oh, and they have a world tour with more shows than any recent tour set up for May-September.

Radio has been playing the 2 songs that are out.

What exactly are they leaving out?

And its still 3-4 weeks away from being released.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,959
    Got me to bite
  • I always thought Alice in Chains records had the best production out of the Seattle scene.  Had more polish to them.  Don't mind seeing what Watt will bring to the table.  It will be a jolt I'm sure from the minimalist approach we are used to. 
    I agree and I would say that Jar Of Flies is probably my favorite sounding album of all time. It's perfect in my opinion. 
    " Things were different then, all is different now "

Seattle 09-16-96, Vancouver 07-19-98, Seattle 11-05-00, Seattle 12-09-02, Vancouver 05-30-03, Vancouver 09-02-05, Gorge 07-23-06, Seattle 09-21-09, Seattle 09-22-09, Vancouver 09-25-09
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    I always thought Alice in Chains records had the best production out of the Seattle scene.  Had more polish to them.  Don't mind seeing what Watt will bring to the table.  It will be a jolt I'm sure from the minimalist approach we are used to. 
    I agree and I would say that Jar Of Flies is probably my favorite sounding album of all time. It's perfect in my opinion. 
    I would agree with both of those statements.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • bootlegbootleg Posts: 674
    I still think that REMs Automatic For the People is one of the best sounding albums of all time.
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:

Just stop. Please.
    Vedd Hedd said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:

They released Dark Matter.

They did the visual dark matter finder.

A vinyl single for Dark Matter.

Several clips on march madness and nhl tv.

They have 12 variants of the record, based on regions for Record Store Day. In addition to several regular variants now available in the store, and the original record store day version.

They have a one night only showing of the album in theaters just before the album drops.

They released Running.

They have had several listening parties.

Oh, and they have a world tour with more shows than any recent tour set up for May-September.

Radio has been playing the 2 songs that are out.

What exactly are they leaving out?

And it’s still 3-4 weeks away from being released.
    So a lot of this in my opinion is gimmicky re tread.

12 variants of the same record? Why?

radio playing the two songs - has nothing to do with their promotional activities.

People buy “singles”? Why? 

I think you get where I’m headed. This is all extremely old school and very gimmicky, not to mention expensive haha. Again maybe the bulk of the promotion will come after the release. That’s fine I suppose. But as long as your realize there is no real effort involved in almost all of that line item list you spelled out. Again it’s mostly re tread for profit and hey, I’m all in favor of capitalism so if folks are willing to bite is see why they’re doing it!

just wondering out loud (is that still acceptable?) whether there will be more original substance to come. Examples would be:

more snippets from rest of album
    (what happened to the DM site?)

vignettes from band members about making the record (from official sources not media)

is there a DM video like with DoTC?

Etc, etc 

it’s ok to wonder and ask questions.