Options

Something Special - small clip released

245

Comments

  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,193
    edited March 18
    Could be great and sounds a bit sweet. But a lot of genre-hopping is often a bad sign, for an album feeling like someones random playlist more than an album with a strong production focus an vision.

    Earthling felt a bit like that. A wide array of random songs.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,153
    edited March 18
    Good explanation . 
    It got me thinking, this is the exact problem ive had with backspacer. L.B.  type of genre hopping is a great description because my fav pj albums are of the same pattern all the way through i feel.
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

    this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,601
    Reminds me a bit of Horse from Live’s Throwing Copper.
    https://youtu.be/475osA3duFo?si=l0Es56xnFZL9_oFv
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    tylerjtylerj Indiana Posts: 289
    BF25394 said:
    tylerj said:
    I don't mind it except for the "woah" part.  Sounds forced.

    If you are looking for music to wow you, I wouldn't be looking towards a band that has been around for 30+ years.
    My expectations nowadays is 2-3 good songs an album. 
    Why do you pay to belong to their fan club if you have such a low opinion of them?
    I don't have a low opinion of them. I think the band's output from Ten to Avocado is generally amazing to above average, give or it take a few songs.

    The last 3 albums? There's maybe a few songs per album I'd regularly listen to. I didn't think that's a minority opinion here or all that crazy. 
    Chicago, Aug 24, 2009 
    Noblesville, May 7, 2010
    PJ20 Night 1, 2011
    Cincinnati, Oct. 1, 2014
    Milwaukee, Oct. 20, 2014
    Wrigley Field, Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field, Aug 22, 2016
    Wrigley Field, Aug 18, 2018
    Wrigley Field, Aug 20, 2018
    St. Louis, Sept. 18, 2022
    Chicago, Sept. 5, 2023
    Chicago, Sept. 7, 2023

  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,737
    Very tough to judge that song off that tiny snippet.......the sound quality is pretty shit too
  • Options
    TinaETinaE Germany Posts: 1,296
    pdalowsky said:
    Very tough to judge that song off that tiny snippet.......the sound quality is pretty shit too
    Agree!
    Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."
  • Options
    matt84matt84 Posts: 605
    igotid88 said:
    tylerj said:
    I don't mind it except for the "woah" part.  Sounds forced.

    If you are looking for music to wow you, I wouldn't be looking towards a band that has been around for 30+ years.
    My expectations nowadays is 2-3 good songs an album. 
    They definitely have more than that per album
    Gigaton had about 3 good songs. Backspacer and Lightning Bolt had about 4-5.
  • Options
    OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 666
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,487
    I don’t mind genre hopping as long as it’s done well.  I like, maybe not love, what I hear from the snippet but gotta hear the whole thing to know for sure.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore


  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,954
    @mcgruff10 right in your wheel house
    Not a fan from what I heard.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    DissidentRival74DissidentRival74 Six One Five Posts: 150
    I don't hate it, but it's hard to judge based on such a small snippet.  I will say it does make me want to hear the whole song, though, so that's a good thing...
    "I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,666
    tylerj said:
    BF25394 said:
    tylerj said:
    I don't mind it except for the "woah" part.  Sounds forced.

    If you are looking for music to wow you, I wouldn't be looking towards a band that has been around for 30+ years.
    My expectations nowadays is 2-3 good songs an album. 
    Why do you pay to belong to their fan club if you have such a low opinion of them?
    I don't have a low opinion of them. I think the band's output from Ten to Avocado is generally amazing to above average, give or it take a few songs.

    The last 3 albums? There's maybe a few songs per album I'd regularly listen to. I didn't think that's a minority opinion here or all that crazy. 
    Co-sign this take. 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

  • Options
    mckaymckay Posts: 162
    0 for 2 for me so far...not digging these new tunes at all.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,583
    I don't hate it, but it's hard to judge based on such a small snippet.  I will say it does make me want to hear the whole song, though, so that's a good thing...
    Agreed..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

    I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,571
    mckay said:
    0 for 2 for me so far...not digging these new tunes at all.
    I don't expect to be in love with any of the songs because Pearl Jam is not the style of music I listen to anymore and hasn't been for a long time. Love the live shows.  The travel.  The McCready solos.   
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,932
    These songs sound like a continuation of Earthling.  Especially this one.  
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,104
    I don’t really like the clip (as other people have highlighted sounds similar style to Let the Records Play which is one of my least favourite PJ songs). Looking forward to hearing the full song though, given this is only a snippet.

    I’m wondering if we will get another single this week? Most bands seem to release around 3-4 songs prior to album release so timing is right for a second single to be released. Wondering if they will tie something in with the London listening party.
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,545
    bbiggs said:
    These songs sound like a continuation of Earthling.  Especially this one.  
    When I listened to it, I thought the same thing, at least Something Special. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,178
    Sounds awesome! Love the range and the change from Dark Matter. This album is gonna be AWESOME! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,999
    Im optimistic based on this clip
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,280
    bbiggs said:
    These songs sound like a continuation of Earthling.  Especially this one.  
    When I listened to it, I thought the same thing, at least Something Special. 
    Hmm, I'm picking up on this too. Earthling was an ok album, but very disjointed in the song styles/sound.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,722
    edited March 19
    This is the one about parenting, yes? 

    "Every setback now is but a chance to grow.
    Something Something dreams Something Something know?
    You better believe that you were something special
    Whoa"

    Any translators out there?
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,545
    edited March 18
    tbergs said:
    bbiggs said:
    These songs sound like a continuation of Earthling.  Especially this one.  
    When I listened to it, I thought the same thing, at least Something Special. 
    Hmm, I'm picking up on this too. Earthling was an ok album, but very disjointed in the song styles/sound.
    I wonder though, if I feel this way because I know Andrew Watt produced both albums, so maybe it is influencing my thoughts on the sound. I really like Dark Matter, Something Special is interesting, I want to hear the whole thing before I judge it too much. 
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
  • Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 360
    Spunkie said:
    This is the one for EV's girls right?

    "Every setback now is but a chance to grow.
    Something Something dreams Something Something know?
    You better believe that you were something special
    Whoa"

    Any translators out there?
    And every setback now
    a chance to grow
    and further proof that you’re phenomenal
    You better believe it that you are something special 
     
  • Options
    js87130js87130 Posts: 88
    yosi said:
    tylerj said:
    BF25394 said:
    tylerj said:
    I don't mind it except for the "woah" part.  Sounds forced.

    If you are looking for music to wow you, I wouldn't be looking towards a band that has been around for 30+ years.
    My expectations nowadays is 2-3 good songs an album. 
    Why do you pay to belong to their fan club if you have such a low opinion of them?
    I don't have a low opinion of them. I think the band's output from Ten to Avocado is generally amazing to above average, give or it take a few songs.

    The last 3 albums? There's maybe a few songs per album I'd regularly listen to. I didn't think that's a minority opinion here or all that crazy. 
    Co-sign this take. 
    Absolutely.  Perfectly stated.  I bet most fans would agree with it.
  • Options
    Sounds great!  Very melodic which is a good thing imo.
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 604
    js87130 said:
    yosi said:
    tylerj said:
    BF25394 said:
    tylerj said:
    I don't mind it except for the "woah" part.  Sounds forced.

    If you are looking for music to wow you, I wouldn't be looking towards a band that has been around for 30+ years.
    My expectations nowadays is 2-3 good songs an album. 
    Why do you pay to belong to their fan club if you have such a low opinion of them?
    I don't have a low opinion of them. I think the band's output from Ten to Avocado is generally amazing to above average, give or it take a few songs.

    The last 3 albums? There's maybe a few songs per album I'd regularly listen to. I didn't think that's a minority opinion here or all that crazy. 
    Co-sign this take. 
    Absolutely.  Perfectly stated.  I bet most fans would agree with it.
    I’m a big fan of Gigaton, so I disagree, but generally had this opinion of post-Riot Act albums. 
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    Some strong conclusions being drawn based on a 10 second clip.....
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 604
    se7v7en said:
    Some strong conclusions being drawn based on a 10 second clip.....
    It is 20 seconds, and I’d say I have more of a strong reaction. Hope the rest of the song offers more than this schmaltzy clip. 
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,855
    Zzzzzzzz
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

    you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

    The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
Sign In or Register to comment.