Options

Vancouver N1 and N2 - Thread

Comments

• Options
    ekwiptekwipt Vancouver Posts: 381
    ekwipt said:
    Vancouver is a bucket list location for my wife and I, we’re really excited to be there.  Is there things outside of the city that are must see like hikes or something, or should we just focus our attention on in city things?
    Beaches, mountains, fine dining at Michelin star restaurants & international cuisine from just about anywhere you can imagine. Pretty much anything you feel like doing Vancouver has to offer. 
    Almost like an affordable Seattle ☺️
    Unless you want to buy or rent real estate 😣 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654
    ekwipt said:
    Vancouver is a bucket list location for my wife and I, we’re really excited to be there.  Is there things outside of the city that are must see like hikes or something, or should we just focus our attention on in city things?
    Beaches, mountains, fine dining at Michelin star restaurants & international cuisine from just about anywhere you can imagine. Pretty much anything you feel like doing Vancouver has to offer. 

Bahahaha! Don't we wish! I know Seattle is way too expensive, bu Vancouver ranks as the most expensive city in Canada, and the 3rd most unaffordable city in North America, based on all relevant metrics. Seattle isn't even top 10 apparently.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 640
    ekwipt said:
    ekwipt said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    ekwipt said:

Bahahaha! Don't we wish! I know Seattle is way too expensive, bu Vancouver ranks as the most expensive city in Canada, and the 3rd most unaffordable city in North America, based on all relevant metrics. Seattle isn't even top 10 apparently.
    So true about the real estate and don"t forget the price of alcohol lol. Well at least at the wholesale level. That said I would think right now the cost of dining and drinking  and hotels in a large US city especially left coast or northeast the prices are similar but in USD. That said our guests from south of the 49th Parallel are packing USD that exchanges at about !.32. I believe the tickets are cheaper in VCR. when you do the conversion.

Oh and 49th Parallel is also a pretty good microbrewery  in East Van.
  • Options
    edited February 24
    DJ253147 said:
    ekwipt said:
    ekwipt said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    ekwipt said:

So true about the real estate and don"t forget the price of alcohol lol. Well at least at the wholesale level. That said I would think right now the cost of dining and drinking  and hotels in a large US city especially left coast or northeast the prices are similar but in USD. That said our guests from south of the 49th Parallel are packing USD that exchanges at about !.32. I believe the tickets are cheaper in VCR. when you do the conversion.

Oh and 49th Parallel is also a pretty good microbrewery  in East Van.
    A major factor is average salaries. Affordability relies on that metric more than any other, and Vancouver salaries are far lower than Seattle salaries.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,521
    DJ253147 said:
    If you’re lookin for stuff to do in the days between shows, consider visiting the Museum of Anthropology at the University of British Columbia. Bill Reid’s sculpture is astounding, as are other works. You can get an insight into his work right at the Airport. Here is an article:
    https://bcheritagefairsalumni.wordpress.com/2017/07/15/bill-reid/ 
    I'm local (well out in the valley) and definitely need to check this out. I've driven by the Museum Of Anthropology enough times. It's a spectacular setting too as is the UBC campus and surrounding area. The adjacent Pacific Spirit Park is amazing, miles of hiking and biking trails.you'll  feel like you're  miles from the big city. Poke your head out of the forest and check the stunning views of the northshore mountains, English Bay and a get completely different view of the downtown skyline just 10 km or so to east. Not too surprising you can drop $60,000,000 CDN on a mansion right in this area.
    Sorry to be a downer, but Museum of Anthropology has been closed for Seismic upgrades for a year or so and unfortunately doesn’t open until June 2024. For me it’s a can’t miss (I live 5 mins away and have been eager to take my 6 year old again). If you’re up in that neighborhood, the Nitobe Japanese garden is nice, as are the beaches along Spanish Banks (or Wreck Beach if the weather’s nice and you’re feeling adventurous). 
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    ekwipt said:

The exchange rate to USD is what kills us Canadians when visiting the states. So for me Vancouver is cheaper. I secured an affordable Airbnb near the downtown area for the 4 nights. Will be nice to enjoy some alone time and Pearl Jam!!!!! 🤘
    "This melody, inside of me, still searches for a solution."
  • Options
    DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 640
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:
    and they just dropped all the front rows of the upper level.  That was dirty, sell the worse tickets first.

Yeah, that sucks.

So the Monday show is selling well?

I am kinda bummed there will be no fans behind the stage. :( Plus it's another reason the tickets are more expensive.
    It's dissapointing to see there's no backstage tix being sold. Section 120 and Section 103 have some really good seats and after being backstage in Denver 2014 I'd waaaay rather be there than on the Floor behind the Pit. or the nosebleeds.

Plus it's a blast to be looking into the Pit.
    Oh and of course it only props up the value of the rest of the tickets.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,320
    DJ253147 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:
    and they just dropped all the front rows of the upper level.  That was dirty, sell the worse tickets first.

Yeah, that sucks.

I am kinda bummed there will be no fans behind the stage. :( Plus it's another reason the tickets are more expensive.
    It's dissapointing to see there's no backstage tix being sold. Section 120 and Section 103 have some really good seats and after being backstage in Denver 2014 I'd waaaay rather be there than on the Floor behind the Pit. or the nosebleeds.

I love side stage, but I've only been behind stage once.  I think we just had bad luck.  Our seats were almost parallel with the lighting rig and metal bird on the 2013 tour.  The blocked out most of the stage.  Couldn't see very much :(

but yah back of floor isn't some of the worst tickets in a venue.   You either need to be in GA or the first few rows in GA, otherwise it's hard to see anything.

I wonder why they haven't sold in the round?  Must have something that blocks the view from the back on this tour?
  • Options
    johnny__utahjohnny__utah New Brunswick, Canada Posts: 195
    edited February 25
    edit - found answer
    Post edited by johnny__utah on
  • Options
    nc_jammer1nc_jammer1 Posts: 546
    blairs1 said:
    I booked at YWCA Hotel Vancouver - no clue - seemed the most reasonable downtown and semi close.  Hope it's a safe area and decent enough spot.
    I almost booked that - but looks like shared bathrooms?
    I had a room that says private bathroom - only reason i bit on it. But they did have rooms that were cheaper but no private br. 

Next important topic...best Canadian beer not named Labatt's or Molson!
    Black Horse! (I kid as a Newfie)
    Blue Star for me !😁
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 580
    DJ253147 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

Yeah, that sucks.

I was lucky enough to be in that pit.  It was huge.  Half the floor.  Behind that on the floor was not great.  
  • Options
    edited February 25
    Zod said:
    DJ253147 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

Yeah, that sucks.

I love side stage, but I've only been behind stage once.  I think we just had bad luck.  Our seats were almost parallel with the lighting rig and metal bird on the 2013 tour.  The blocked out most of the stage.  Couldn't see very much :(

but yah back of floor isn't some of the worst tickets in a venue.   You either need to be in GA or the first few rows in GA, otherwise it's hard to see anything.

I wonder why they haven't sold in the round?  Must have something that blocks the view from the back on this tour?

Metal bird? I remember calling it the trash pile. :lol: Wasn't it just a mess of crap that looked vaguely like a bird's nest? I hated that thing!!

I am assuming they have a backdrop screen for this tour. :(
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,584
    Anyone else staying at the Holiday Inn Downtown?
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    diamond_marmaladediamond_marmalade Posts: 418
    edited February 26
    Number 336***

1st night Floor Row 18 Seat 45/46. 2nd Night GA.
    2007 London
    2009 Manchester
    2010 Dublin / London
    2012 Manchester I & II / Berlin I & II / EV: Manchester
    2014 Amsterdam I & II / Vienna / Berlin / Leeds
  • Options
    Good call out on the marathon. So if I'm staying at the Douglas, am I stuck there if I don't get out by 8:30 am? lol
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,689
    edited February 26
    100 Pacer said:
    Anyone else staying at the Holiday Inn Downtown?
    No. It's a little sketchy. mighta stayed there once and thought never again.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    e360727e360727 Posts: 76
    Sadly my ticket buddy is not going to be able to attend either of the shows with me (I'm travelling  from Cincinnati). Currently I have middle of the road Floor tickets. If any of you wonderful people with great Floor seats or GA need a ticket friend who is VERY generous with buying cocktails, please let me know.  See you all soon:).  
  • Options
    ekwiptekwipt Vancouver Posts: 381
    Good call out on the marathon. So if I'm staying at the Douglas, am I stuck there if I don't get out by 8:30 am? lol
    https://bmovanmarathon.ca/detours
  • Options
    I've planned yearly craft brewery walking tours for my family for the past 6 years. If you have any questions or want any ideas for good breweries to visit, hit me up. I'd be happy to help.
    2011: Vancouver
    2013: LA 1 & LA 2, Vancouver
    2018: Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
    2022: LA 1 & LA 2
    2024: Vancouver 1 & Vancouver 2, Portland, Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,859
    Number 336***

1st night Floor Row 18 Seat 45/46. 2nd Night GA.
    Those GA sound awful. As a random act of kindness, I will offer you my night 2 Row 18 seats for your night 2 GA seats.  ;)
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    I've planned yearly craft brewery walking tours for my family for the past 6 years. If you have any questions or want any ideas for good breweries to visit, hit me up. I'd be happy to help.
    Post away with the brewery recommendations! We are staying at Blue Horizon in the Coal Harbour area (I think that's what it is called) and no GA, so bathroom use is okay.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    I logged into Ticketmaster just now to see if I could get better seats than what I got through Ten Club, yeah right!  We are in Section 109 Row 11.  Those same tickets are almost $900 each on TM right.  YIKES!!!!
    Calgary, Alberta (1993) / Missoula, Montana (2003) / Calgary, Alberta (2005) / Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (2005) /Chicago, Illinois (2007) / Calgary, Alberta, (2009) / Calgary, Alberta (2011) / Calgary, AB (2013) / Missoula, Montana (2018) / Vancouver, BC (2024)
  • Options
    sometimesicringesometimesicringe Vancouver, BC Posts: 86
    ekwipt said:
    https://bmovanmarathon.ca/detours
    Half marathon starts at 730 am, roads will be shut down before 5am - and the half is the run that goes near that area of town.
    It's not too bad though, will just be a bit slower getting around - mid day will likely be the worst time.
    But might be tricky out the Douglas if you're driving!

You can get out of the city to the North Shore mountains through Stanley Park causeway, or by heading east and over the Iron Workers bridge - likely the best option for anyone on the east side of downtown.
  • Options
    Post away with the brewery recommendations! We are staying at Blue Horizon in the Coal Harbour area (I think that's what it is called) and no GA, so bathroom use is okay.
    Brassneck on Main Street and Parallel 49 in East Van have been my personal favorites over the years.  I've lived here for 15 years now, so watched a lot the breweries grow up!

Port Moody does have a few decent breweries, but its a bit of a journey to get out there.
  • Options
    Brassneck on Main Street and Parallel 49 in East Van have been my personal favorites over the years.  I've lived here for 15 years now, so watched a lot the breweries grow up!

Port Moody does have a few decent breweries, but its a bit of a journey to get out there.
    Thanks for the ideas!
  • Options
    Sea to Sky gondola near Squamish is nice - wouldn't recommend going the day of a show though, as accidents can shut the highway down for 4-6 hours at times.  Doesn't happen often, but often enough that I wouldn't risk it!

Grouse mountain is nice, as you get a view of the whole lower mainland.
    Hikes are usually not good that time of year in the mountains as there is usually still a lot of snow pack, but this year we don't have much yet - so might be ok.  I can definitely give recommendations closer depending on conditions, as my wife and I have done a lot of them multiple times.

In general, if you are on the other side of the bridges the day of either show, give yourself plenty of time to get back - the bridges can be a real bottleneck.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,689
    edited February 27

Ha! If you're not drinkin' in the Balmoral and the IvanHoe, then you're not drinkin' in Vancouver. Craft breweries - hahaha!  This is a rock n roll forum, eh! Play your cards right, Vancouver PD might even put you up for the night, for free!!!
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    ekwipt said:

Seattle looks cheap compared to this place
    Our friend is leaving here moving down to Seattle with her husband, who is from there - we are considering following as its a financial no brainer!
  • Options
    Original_ShiftyOriginal_Shifty Posts: 244
    edited February 27

Brassneck on Main Street would be my go to in the Mount Pleasant area. Also, 33 Acres. The great thing about 33 Acres is they have one side of their building serving their standard beer, while right next door (33 Brewing Experiment) they have their experimental beer if you are into checking out some non-standard styles and flavours. Although not the best beer, check out Electric Bicycle for one of the most interesting brewery in the area. And finally, Brewhall is a good place to watch sports. It's a big place, and their beer is really good.

East Vancouver is probably the best area for craft brews, but this post would go on and on and on if I start writing about those. LOL

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Brassneck+Brewery,+2148+Main+St,+Vancouver,+BC+V5T+3C5/33+Acres+Brewing+Company,+West+8th+Avenue,+Vancouver,+BC/33+Brewing+Experiment,+West+8th+Avenue,+Vancouver,+BC/Electric+Bicycle+Brewing,+East+4th+Avenue,+Vancouver,+BC/BREWHALL,+East+2nd+Avenue,+Vancouver,+BC/@49.2664883,-123.105352,17z/data=!3m1!5s0x548673e05fde3feb:0xc1b66f0b0428d7e7!4m32!4m31!1m5!1m1!1s0x5486715feb069287:0xc647d70dba856a0b!2m2!1d-123.100621!2d49.2657682!1m5!1m1!1s0x548673e0f573eff3:0x3c7dc8f4944356ac!2m2!1d-123.1053205!2d49.2638926!1m5!1m1!1s0x548673fcd61c7c0d:0x2424737996fc9373!2m2!1d-123.1055096!2d49.2639351!1m5!1m1!1s0x5486716018a6236f:0xc6605bf1ca50c74d!2m2!1d-123.1042675!2d49.2672785!1m5!1m1!1s0x54867161af2b21a1:0xa306c3fdbc75e233!2m2!1d-123.1035175!2d49.2694506!3e2?hl=en&entry=ttu
    Post edited by Original_Shifty on
    2011: Vancouver
    2013: LA 1 & LA 2, Vancouver
    2018: Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
    2022: LA 1 & LA 2
    2024: Vancouver 1 & Vancouver 2, Portland, Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892
    edited April 24
    Vancouver Pair Trade:
    <Trade Made>
    Post edited by given2fly23 on
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale