Options

Vancouver N1 and N2 - Thread

Comments

• Options
    Totally agree with a lot of people that say stay out of Vancouver to bring your costs down a bit and use the Skytrain as it goes literally across the street from Rogers Arena. 

Here is an example..

This Holiday Inn Express at Metrotown mall is across the street from Skytrain and is only about a 25 minute train ride into downtown. It's $269 a night on Expedia right now..

http://tinyurl.com/yu5t9jun
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,552
    edited February 19
    ^ Yes, and the Marriot Civic Autograph Collection at Surrey central skytrain has a nice rooftop pool.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254
    Thanks for starting this thread. Never been to the city before and excited to check it out between shows. Should be fun navigating the Marathon on the 5th. Anyone know if it goes through the downtown area?
    Yes, marathon does shut down alot of the streets around Vancouver on the 5th
    Also the seawall around Stanley Park will be shut down that day
    I am probably running the Marathon that morning, despite the show the night before!

I just saw this, said, "Oh! I had no idea!" and now my husband, who has a bum knee, is saying, oh, we could run it! Do you want to? That sort of runs counter to my idea of a romantic long weekend, but it would be a far more "us" thing to do.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,181
    Oh crap, I was thinking of trying to drive out of vancouver and hike st. mark's summit on the off day. Is it going to be a complete shitshow trying to get in/out of downtown that day?
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,225
    I booked at YWCA Hotel Vancouver - no clue - seemed the most reasonable downtown and semi close.  Hope it's a safe area and decent enough spot.
  • Options
    blairs1blairs1 Ontario, Canada Posts: 146
    I booked at YWCA Hotel Vancouver - no clue - seemed the most reasonable downtown and semi close.  Hope it's a safe area and decent enough spot.
    I almost booked that - but looks like shared bathrooms?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    edited February 20
    Any hotel in downtown Vancouver will work for you the downtown core isn't that huge, and no matter where are you in it you can either walk or hop on a bus or the skytrain easily and take a really quick ride to get close to or all the way to the arena. And like someone said, any hotel on the skytrain lines (the Millenium, Expo, Canada, and Evergreen lines) will be pretty convenient too, so that opens up Burnaby, Richmond, Coquitlam, all of Vancouver, and Surrey. Your options are almost infinite! :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    blairs1blairs1 Ontario, Canada Posts: 146
    easiest way to get to/from airport if staying near arena.
    especially for an early flight after a show?
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    Great location and a block from the venue. 
  • Options
    edited February 20
    blairs1 said:
    easiest way to get to/from airport if staying near arena.
    especially for an early flight after a show?

Uber. Don't rely on the skytrain at hours like that. It doesn't run through the night. I think it stops running at like 1am, and starts up again at maybe 5:30am. 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ekwiptekwipt Vancouver Posts: 318
    For those visiting Vancouver I highly, highly recommend getting a sandwich at the Downlow Chicken Shack. It’s outside the downtown core but you won’t regret it. 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,552
    My PJ gf stays there. Insists it's nice after recent reno.
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 550
    It's nice to be able to exhale.  I got a great deal on a round trip non-refundable flight 7 weeks ago from NM and booked a wonderful AirBNB a couple of weeks ago.
    Thankfully I got seats today although I would have preferred to stand. 
    I assume that an AirBNB staying with someone in their home is the good kind, right?
  • Options
    edited February 20
    YAKIMATSU said:
    It's nice to be able to exhale.  I got a great deal on a round trip non-refundable flight 7 weeks ago from NM and booked a wonderful AirBNB a couple of weeks ago.
    I assume that an AirBNB staying with someone in their home is the good kind, right?

AirBnBs in someone's home is the only legal kind of AirBnB allowed in Vancouver now, since the full property ones were hurting our housing market. So I guess if I were you I'd find comfort in the fact that you'll be staying with an owner who follows the rules, lol.
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 550
    PJ_Soul said:
    YAKIMATSU said:

AirBnBs in someone's home is the only legal kind of AirBnB allowed in Vancouver now, since the full property ones were hurting our housing market. So I guess if I were you I'd find comfort in the fact that you'll be staying with an owner who follows the rules, lol.
    Thank you.  1st time for me but I'm trying to save money for a home.
  • Options
    If you’re lookin for stuff to do in the days between shows, consider visiting the Museum of Anthropology at the University of British Columbia. Bill Reid’s sculpture is astounding, as are other works. You can get an insight into his work right at the Airport. Here is an article:
    https://bcheritagefairsalumni.wordpress.com/2017/07/15/bill-reid/ 
    "If you hate somethin, don't you do it too!"

"Then I get to thinkin -- I don't wanna think; I wanna feel."
  • Options
    DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 611
    edited February 20
    If you’re lookin for stuff to do in the days between shows, consider visiting the Museum of Anthropology at the University of British Columbia. Bill Reid’s sculpture is astounding, as are other works. You can get an insight into his work right at the Airport. Here is an article:
    https://bcheritagefairsalumni.wordpress.com/2017/07/15/bill-reid/ 
    I'm local (well out in the valley) and definitely need to check this out. I've driven by the Museum Of Anthropology enough times. It's a spectacular setting too as is the UBC campus and surrounding area. The adjacent Pacific Spirit Park is amazing, miles of hiking and biking trails.you'll  feel like you're  miles from the big city. Poke your head out of the forest and check the stunning views of the northshore mountains, English Bay and a get completely different view of the downtown skyline just 10 km or so to east. Not too surprising you can drop $60,000,000 CDN on a mansion right in this area.
    Post edited by DJ253147 on
  • Options
    steven87steven87 Posts: 1,241
    edited February 20
    Hi all! I’m looking for one or two GAs for either show if anyone happens to have any extras available. I also have reserved pairs to trade if anyone would prefer to have seats. Additionally, I have a P1 reserved pair for Philly N2 that I’d potentially be open to trading for a Vancouver GA pair as well. Thanks! And looking forward to seeing you all at the shows!
    Post edited by steven87 on
  • Options
    Anyone lined up for N1 yet? 🤣

Can't wait for N1!
  • Options
    steven87steven87 Posts: 1,241
    Anyone lined up for N1 yet? 🤣

Can't wait for N1!
    Yeah I just lined up this morning and I don’t even have a GA ticket yet. Also, there are about 100 people in front of me 🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    kmcdonaghkmcdonagh Toronto Posts: 7
    edited February 20
    Got pair GA for Van 2 May 6. Anyone get GA for Van 1 May 4 and want to be +1 each night ? not looking for seat trades thanks
  • Options
    Booked L'Hermitage yesterday using CC points.  It's about 6 blocks away and looks pretty nice!  Taking the train up from the Seattle area so it will be nice to not have to deal with a border crossing, etc.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,525
    100 Pacer said:
    Seeking a single GA for Vancouver 1.

Trading a single GA for Vancouver 2.

Let me know if interested.

Trade has been initiated.
    Thank you.

To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    My wife and I booked the Sandman just before the announcement.  Great hotel and close to the venue.  We stayed there a couple of years ago when we went to see The National.  We're coming from Calgary for night 1 only.

If you like seafood I highly recommend the Fanny Bay Oyster Company.  Two minutes from the hotel.
    http://www.fannybayoysters.com/location/oyster-bar--shellfish-market
    Calgary, Alberta (1993) / Missoula, Montana (2003) / Calgary, Alberta (2005) / Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (2005) /Chicago, Illinois (2007) / Calgary, Alberta, (2009) / Calgary, Alberta (2011) / Calgary, AB (2013) / Missoula, Montana (2018) / Vancouver, BC (2024)
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,232
    edited February 20
    Looking for single GA for both nights, have P1 if interested.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,225
    edited February 21
    blairs1 said:
    I had a room that says private bathroom - only reason i bit on it. But they did have rooms that were cheaper but no private br. 

Next important topic...best Canadian beer not named Labatt's or Molson!
    Post edited by jimjam1982 on
  • Options
    ekwiptekwipt Vancouver Posts: 318
    blairs1 said:
    I had a room that says private bathroom - only reason i bit on it. But they did have rooms that were cheaper but no private br. 

Four Winds gets my vote!
  • Options
    Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 253
    blairs1 said:

Kokanee
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Portland 5-10-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • Options
    blairs1 said:

PHILLIPS!

Calgary, Alberta (1993) / Missoula, Montana (2003) / Calgary, Alberta (2005) / Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (2005) /Chicago, Illinois (2007) / Calgary, Alberta, (2009) / Calgary, Alberta (2011) / Calgary, AB (2013) / Missoula, Montana (2018) / Vancouver, BC (2024)
  • Options
    blairs1 said:

Black Horse! (I kid as a Newfie)