Options

Happiness Bastards - The Black Crowes - March 15, 2024

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,496
    edited March 24
    It sounds great. Wish PJs new or next stuff sounds a bit like this. And less ”dense”/maxed out. 

Liked it a lot. 

BUT ITS NOT BLACK CROWES WITHOUT GORMAN
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 732
    brianlux said:
    Black Crowes fans, Chris Robinson is in this excellent documentary.  Don't miss it!
    The Dream Syndicate How Did We Find Ourselves Here 2022 - IMDb
    Can you maybe provide some info as to where this can be seen?
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 1,996
    It sounds great. Wish PJs new or next stuff sounds a bit like this. And less ”dense”/maxed out. 

Liked it a lot. 

Do tell…..who are they then?
    The band has moved on, why can’t you?
    Would it make you happier if they called themselves The Robinson Brothers featuring Sven? 
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,410

Liked it a lot. 

Would it make you happier if they called themselves The Robinson Brothers featuring Sven? 
    I think his position is a reasonable one to take. Who's drumming now? Wikipedia says Cully Symington. That right? I'd feel good about that.
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,082
    I really dig the album. My biggest problem is it's too short. 
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,082
    edited March 24
    ZoSoTim said:
    brianlux said:
    Black Crowes fans, Chris Robinson is in this excellent documentary.  Don't miss it!
    I recently met Steve Wynn with Baseball Project. Super nice chatty dude. Got to meet some REM heroes (Buck and Mills) too.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,496

Liked it a lot. 

Sure. Ask them to change it. 

Thank you
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

Liked it a lot. 

Sure. Ask them to change it. 

Thank you
    😂🤣😂
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • Options
    Count me in the group that misses Gorman. Wish they got him and Marc Ford back. They’ve cycled through 3 sets of drummers/keyboardists/lead guitarists since 2022. It’s dumb. Yeah they sound good but it could be so much better. That’s what frustrates a lot of us. 
  • Options
    ZoSoTim said:
    Count me in the group that misses Gorman. Wish they got him and Marc Ford back. They’ve cycled through 3 sets of drummers/keyboardists/lead guitarists since 2022. It’s dumb. Yeah they sound good but it could be so much better. That’s what frustrates a lot of us. 
    I get it. I’m personally just extremely happy they’re making, and playing music again. 
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,945
    edited March 25
    ZoSoTim said:
    brianlux said:

As far as I know, just these two ways for now. Either buy it here:
    or rent it on Amazon here:

Here's a trailer that includes a very brief clip with Chris in it.

I bought the two LP soundtrack that includes the DVD disc of the documentary.  Nice set! 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,357

Liked it a lot. 

PJ isnt PJ without Krusen.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,410
    Listening on Tidal and I went to Credits > Info. There's an album review which is not terribly controversial but seems to be an interesting choice to appear in what is essentially the liner notes on a streaming service.

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,664
    ZoSoTim said:
    count me in, too. I loved any of their “other” guitar players….marc, luther, jackie.

it’s interesting you called them “lead guitarists”….I was never sure if that moniker should go to them or Rich. it probably doesn’t matter. what I’ve always liked is that Rich doesn’t seem to mind sharing. IMHO, Rich is a pretty badass player in his own right.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    edited March 26
    brianlux said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    brianlux said:

I bought the two LP soundtrack that includes the DVD disc of the documentary.  Nice set! 

I don’t really knew dream syndicate :tired_face:

what was interesting in that clip was guys from green on red and the long ryders weighed in….two (what I thought obscure) bands I listened to quite a bit

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    count me in, too. I loved any of their “other” guitar players….marc, luther, jackie.

it’s interesting you called them “lead guitarists”….I was never sure if that moniker should go to them or Rich. it probably doesn’t matter. what I’ve always liked is that Rich doesn’t seem to mind sharing. IMHO, Rich is a pretty badass player in his own right.
    Rich is one of the best rhythm guitarists in the business and an incredible songwriter. Not saying he can’t solo but there’s a reason those were generally left up to Ford/Luther/et al. 
  • Options
    ZoSoTim said:
    Wobbie said:
    ZoSoTim said:

Rich is one of the best rhythm guitarists in the business and an incredible songwriter. Not saying he can’t solo but there’s a reason those were generally left up to Ford/Luther/et al. 
    I just never knew who was who.

I do know that in one of my all time favorite jams, Wiser Time, I always liked it more when Rich “got going” than whatever the other guys were playing.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,945
    Wobbie said:
    brianlux said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    brianlux said:

I don’t really knew dream syndicate :tired_face:

what was interesting in that clip was guys from green on red and the long ryders weighed in….two (what I thought obscure) bands I listened to quite a bit

If you're Green on Red and Long Ryders fan, you'll probably dig The Dream Syndicate! 
    Also, other than the first cut that doesn't do it for me, I think this is great as well.  "Danny" is Dan Stuart from Green on Red and "Dusty" is Steve Wynn from The Dream Syndicate (also feature some other guys from the "Paisley Underground" scene):

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Wobbie said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    Wobbie said:
    ZoSoTim said:

I do know that in one of my all time favorite jams, Wiser Time, I always liked it more when Rich “got going” than whatever the other guys were playing.
    One of my favorite things about seeing the Crowes in their prime was watching Rich conduct the band through long jams with nothing more than a nod or a look. It was mind blowing to me how locked in those guys were. Unfortunately that version of the band is dead and gone. For one they’re trying to be more commercial so the jams will be minimal. Secondly they change musicians so often now there’s no way they can ever build up that musical bond. Not to mention no one they bring in now can match abilities with guys like Gorman/Ford/Harsch/etc. 
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,028
    Chris has a recent interview on the Kyle Meredith With Podcast that's really good. I listened to it this morning. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    ZoSoTim said:
    Wobbie said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    Wobbie said:
    ZoSoTim said:

One of my favorite things about seeing the Crowes in their prime was watching Rich conduct the band through long jams with nothing more than a nod or a look. It was mind blowing to me how locked in those guys were. Unfortunately that version of the band is dead and gone. For one they’re trying to be more commercial so the jams will be minimal. Secondly they change musicians so often now there’s no way they can ever build up that musical bond. Not to mention no one they bring in now can match abilities with guys like Gorman/Ford/Harsch/etc. 
    the last “real” Crowes show I saw (I also saw the Shake tour) was right before the breakup (jackie green)…they did 20 minute versions of both thorn in my pride and wiser time….I was losing my mind.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,364
    I don’t really pay attention to drummers so I guess I don’t really miss Steve Gorman. The most important thing for me - with any band - is the singer and the guitar sound. With that in mind, Chris sounds really good on the new record, and the guitars are spot on.

Also, I put it to the rest on a long drive on Tuesday night… this is a great driving album!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    great stern interview
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Chris said on Stern that they’re putting out a Jimmy Page/Black Crowes box set next year. Super stoked about that but I still need an Amorica box set too. 
  • Options
    ZoSoTim said:
    Chris said on Stern that they’re putting out a Jimmy Page/Black Crowes box set next year. Super stoked about that but I still need an Amorica box set too. 

Yep. 25th Anniversary to include the BC cuts played but not on og recording...

• Options
    joe159joe159 Decatur, IL. Posts: 308
    Just got around to listening to the new album. Did not expect to like it as much as I do, very solid album.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,143
    Really liking this album....
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,876
    LukinFan said:
    Chris has a recent interview on the Kyle Meredith With Podcast that's really good. I listened to it this morning. 
    Thanks for the heads-up. Short-ish interview yet really good.
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,876
    I'm really digging the new album which seems to get better and better with each listen. Bedside Manners and Bleed It Dry were the only weak links thru my first few listens. Last week while on a plane I had a chance to go full immersion via headphones and from first to last notes the whole thing rocks. It's concise and focused and left me wishing for another song or three. Chris mentioned in the Kyle Meredith interview that there isn't as much "atmospheric" music (i.e. Thorn In My Pride) as their other albums aside from SYMM. It's undoubtedly an unapologetic, straight forward rock 'n roll album, yet within it Jay Joyce does a terrific job of peppering many of the songs with nuanced psychedelic sounds layered subtly enough that the songs continue to unfold after multiple listens. 
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,660

Last nights show at the Opry in Nashville was great. They sounded well rehearsed and the new material fit right in. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2