Options

Happiness Bastards - The Black Crowes - March 15, 2024

bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,070

Album not announced but popping up on webs.

Word is Stern will debut single "Wanting and Waiting" today.

The Black Crowes are leaving the ******** in the past. 15 years after their last album of original music, the Robinson Brothers present 'Happiness Bastards'- their 10th studio album. Some may say the project has been several tumultuous years in the making, but we argue it's arriving at just the right time. Call it brotherly love or music destiny that brought them back together, the highly anticipated record consecrating the reunion of this legendary band just may be the thing that saves rock & roll. In a time where the art form is buried beneath the corporate sheen of its successors, The Black Crowes are biting back with the angst of words left unsaid penned on paper and electrified by guitar strings, revealing stripped, bare-boned rock & roll. No gloss, no glitter, just rhythm and blues at it's very best - gritty, loud, and in your face.

Since The Black Crowes reunited in 2019, they've made a triumphant return to form with over 150 shows spanning 20 countries worldwide, celebrating the 30th anniversary of 'Shake Your Money Maker', the album that put them on the map. Upon their return from the road, they knew they needed something new to show for their lost time. The Robinson Brothers and longtime bassist Sven Pipien headed to the studio with producer Jay Joyce in early 2023 and the experiences of years past transcribed themself through the music as the band found their way back to their roots. And it's finally here - 'Happiness Bastards' is out March 15, 2024.

Tracklisting

Side 1
1. Bedside Manners
2. Rats and Clowns
3. Cross Your Fingers
4. Wanting and Waiting
5. Wilted Rose f/ Lainey Wilson

Side 2
1. Dirty Cold Sun
2. Bleed It Dry
3. Flesh Wound
4. Follow the Moon
5. Kindred Friend

Comments

• Options
    clayton12clayton12 Athens, GA Posts: 322
    Hell yes.
  • Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,658
    Nice 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,081
    Cautiously optimistic about the album. Really just want smaller venues and more reasonable prices on the tour that follows.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    Cautiously optimistic about the album. Really just want smaller venues and more reasonable prices on the tour that follows.
    The clip I heard from Stern sounded strong. Wanting and Waiting is supposed to be single. Also heard announcement may be this Friday.
  • Options
    edited January 10
    Album art is interesting if that is it. It's literally the Southern Harmony cover painted over with new album title.  oh my.
    IMG
    Post edited by bobasfeet on
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,853
    Great news. Thanks @bobasfeet ! :sunglasses:
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 615
    I’m looking for a clip of what Stern played on Monday. Can’t find anything. Supposedly the song drops on Friday. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    The snippet of the new song sounds good but this whole campaign around covering up albums that I love leaves me feeling bad about the whole thing 
  • Options
    Like I get the Robinson Bros want to put a lot of things in the past but as a fan I was there and it was pretty fucking good for us
  • Options
    Yeah, the line about leaving the bullshit in the past was unnecessary for me considering the biggest source of that bullshit was Chris. 
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889
    New single sounds great, I like it.
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,951
    Attaway77 said:
    New single sounds great, I like it.

yeah i'm not a huge Black Crowes fan but this sounded pretty decent.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Nothing mind blowing but it’s solid. 
  • Options
    Big Crowes fan here and loving the new single. Guitar riff rawks :rock_on:
  • Options
    ZoSoTim said:
    Yeah, the line about leaving the bullshit in the past was unnecessary for me considering the biggest source of that bullshit was Chris. 
    IMO.. that line is about the feud with the brothers other than a dig at old bandmates. Any management would tell them it was a bad look otherwise.
  • Options
    bobasfeet said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    IMO.. that line is about the feud with the brothers other than a dig at old bandmates. Any management would tell them it was a bad look otherwise.
    It doesn't help when the marketing campaign revolves around papering over their old album covers 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    bobasfeet said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    It doesn't help when the marketing campaign revolves around papering over their old album covers 
    I can see how some people might see it that way. I think this is supposed to represent a clean slate and restarting in a more rock n roll direction. Maybe that's just an excuse though. I would think their real beef would just be with Gorman and vice versa,
  • Options
    bobasfeet said:
    pjl44 said:
    bobasfeet said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    I can see how some people might see it that way. I think this is supposed to represent a clean slate and restarting in a more rock n roll direction. Maybe that's just an excuse though. I would think their real beef would just be with Gorman and vice versa,
    That's the thing at least for me. If there's a band that I loved for 30ish years and they're coming out minus some key members talking about clean slates and new directions that's very much not what I'm looking for.

New song is good enough so we'll see what all this actually means.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    bobasfeet said:
    pjl44 said:
    bobasfeet said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    That's the thing at least for me. If there's a band that I loved for 30ish years and they're coming out minus some key members talking about clean slates and new directions that's very much not what I'm looking for.

New song is good enough so we'll see what all this actually means.
    Yeah it's weird when a band doesn't realize it's strengths.
  • Options
    bobasfeet said:
    pjl44 said:
    bobasfeet said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    I'm in agreement w/ @bobasfeet....the 'no more BS' comment was most likely a nod to a fresh start and in-fighting days being over. If that''s the case then it's shortsighted and lacks self-awareness on the Crowes' part since it could so easily be taken out of context (conversely, if it is a dig at Gorman and company the the 'no more BS' is simply...well...more BS). Fo reals, why paste over so many great albums?? IMO, less than stellar Crowes' marketing (which is par for their course) backing up top shelf rock 'n roll.
  • Options
    jjflash said:
    bobasfeet said:
    pjl44 said:
    bobasfeet said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    I'm in agreement w/ @bobasfeet....the 'no more BS' comment was most likely a nod to a fresh start and in-fighting days being over. If that''s the case then it's shortsighted and lacks self-awareness on the Crowes' part since it could so easily be taken out of context (conversely, if it is a dig at Gorman and company the the 'no more BS' is simply...well...more BS). Fo reals, why paste over so many great albums?? IMO, less than stellar Crowes' marketing (which is par for their course) backing up top shelf rock 'n roll.
    I agree it could easily be taken out of context. It feels a bit like band revisionist history. The fact that they can't see that is pretty typical Robinson bros. The fact their management can't see that....well....
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,501
    ZoSoTim said:
    VERY solid.

unlike another band that’s been around for 30+ years, chris and rich aren’t trying to reinvent the wheel. that other band did and it’s resulted in three consecutive shit albums.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    New single is awesome, now this I am excited for! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 328
    Wobbie said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    VERY solid.

unlike another band that’s been around for 30+ years, chris and rich aren’t trying to reinvent the wheel. that other band did and it’s resulted in three consecutive shit albums.
    Green Day? 🤔🤔🤔
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,501
    Haijay said:
    Wobbie said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    VERY solid.

Green Day? 🤔🤔🤔
    guess again.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13