Options

Time For A Proper Canadian Tour (like 2005/2011)

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,945
    Zod said:
    Zod said:
    If they're going to play St. John then it would be amazing to see a show on the complete opposite side of the country in Victoria.

I still think we're too small market for it to happen, but I would crap my pants if they played here.  I think our Arena only holds about 7000 people if you sell the entire floor and side/behind stage tickets.

With a band that plays small tours.. I'm not sure what the odds are of them play a venue that small.

I still haven't gotten over the fact Foo Fighters were booked to play here before Taylor Hawkins passed away.   I never expected them to play our small Arena, I was so stoked we were getting a show here, and we had floor tickets.   Then the double whammy of him passing away, and the show getting cancelled :(

you never know. The Hip could sell out $15,000 seaters and they played there. 
    That's true, but the hip had limited options. They weren't that big outside Canada, so playing a 7000 seat Arena in Victoria was better than playing a theatre in Seattle or a bar in Illinois :) If they stuck to 15000+ seaters they would of only every played Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Kingston, Montreal, and Quebec City?  They sort of had to go smaller to have some other places to play.  PJ doesn't really need to do that, they can play venues that size in North America, Europe, Australia, South America, even bigger venues in many of those places.

In regards to PJ, and the slim chance they play here one day, I used to think we'd make a good warm up show city.  Sort of like the London 2013 show. We're 130km/80miles from Seattle, it's nice here, our Arena is small but decent, and we love a good live show :)  It's too bad they don't really do warmup shows anymore :(

FAN CLUB SHOW IN VICTORIA!!!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Was it 05 they played st.john?
    Yup! The only reason I went to only two shows is the fact that I was a broke student at the time lol. I would have gone to those St. John's shows in a second if it would have been a possibility :)

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,356

• Options
    It was St. John’s Newfoundland in 05.
    St. John is in New Brunswick. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,005
    It was St. John’s Newfoundland in 05.
    St. John is in New Brunswick. 
    Saint John :wink:
  • Options

• Options
    😂 yeah I know they spell it out. Named after the river I think 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,984
    St. John's
    Quebec City
    Montreal
    Ottawa
    Toronto x2
    Thunder Bay
    Regina/Saskatoon
    Calgary
    Edmonton
    Vancouver x2

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Dream the Canadian Dream!!!

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    St. John's
    Quebec City
    Montreal
    Ottawa
    Toronto x2
    Thunder Bay
    Regina/Saskatoon
    Calgary
    Edmonton
    Vancouver x2

you did that on purpose, didn't you?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    St. John's
    Quebec City
    Montreal
    Ottawa
    Toronto x2
    Thunder Bay
    Regina/Saskatoon
    Calgary
    Edmonton
    Vancouver x2

you did that on purpose, didn't you?

You should be impressed I didn't try to sneak in a few New England shows.

• Options
    obviously WINNIPEG, where Neil Young spent his formative years, MUST BE INCLUDED. BLASPHEMY JIMMY V
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    obviously WINNIPEG, where Neil Young spent his formative years, MUST BE INCLUDED. BLASPHEMY JIMMY V

OOF! You are right, my bad.

St. John's
    Quebec City
    Montreal
    Ottawa
    Toronto x2
    Thunder Bay
    Regina/Saskatoon WINNIPEG
    Calgary
    Edmonton
    Vancouver x2

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited September 2023
    Thunder Bay and not Kelowna and Penticton is just wrong. I’d put Sudbury ahead of Thunder Bay… 

can’t eliminate the Paris of the prairies either 
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

St. John's
    Quebec City
    Montreal
    Ottawa
    Toronto x2
    Thunder Bay
    Calgary
    Edmonton
    Vancouver x2

ya gotta keep Saskatoon on there. 

and add Victoria for a Fan Club acoustic show!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,356
    JimmyV said:

St. John's
    Charlottetown
    Halifax x2
    Moncton
    Quebec City
    Montreal
    Ottawa
    Toronto x2
    Thunder Bay
    Calgary
    Edmonton
    Vancouver x2

Fixed

• Options
    Thunder Bay and not Kelowna and Penticton is just wrong. I’d put Sudbury ahead of Thunder Bay… 

can’t eliminate the Paris of the prairies either 

Thunder Bay is the only one I've even remotely heard of, but Hugh makes a good case for Saskatoon.

St. John's
    Quebec City
    Montreal
    Ottawa
    Toronto x2
    Winnipeg
    Saskatoon
    Calgary
    Edmonton
    Vancouver x2

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,985
    We need Pearl Jam to do an Under Great White Northern Lights part two.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,355
    edited September 2023
    JimmyV said:

St. John's
    Quebec City
    Montreal
    Ottawa
    Toronto x2
    Thunder Bay
    Calgary
    Edmonton
    Vancouver x2

Thanks, why do people keep forgetting about Victoria?  We're bigger than St. John's, St. John, Halifax, Moncton, Thunder Bay, Saskatoon and Regina.  I always felt like 2005 might of been our best bet at getting show as we're bigger than the capital cities of the Atlantic provinces :)

Also, to be unbiased I would add Halifax onto the list.  St John's on the edge of Canada.  It's a long way to go without doing another show in Atlantic Canada.

I think feasibly I'd do:

St. John's,
    Halifax
    Quebec City
    Montreal
    Ottawa
    Torontox2
    Winnipeg
    Saskatoon (it's bigger than Regina)
    Edmonton (Has a nicer arena than Calgary)
    Vancouver
    Victoria.

Didn't put St. John, Thunder Bay or Penticton on my list because they have less than 100k people :)  If New Brunswick needs representation, maybe Moncton, but Moncton isn't that big  :)

• Options
    Kelowna is bigger than 100,000 and deserves a show. Tool is playing there soon, but I skipped it because of the ticket prices 
  • Options
    Kelowna is bigger than 100,000 and deserves a show. Tool is playing there soon, but I skipped it because of the ticket prices 
    You should take another look.  Ticket prices for Calgary have completely collapsed and they're slowly but surely releasing the ridiculous VIP seats for normal (not Platinum) pricing (snagged 4th row floor last night after realizing it and it looks to be happening for Kelowna too).  Sorry to side track things.  Except screw Edmonton (and if PJ is going to schlep all the way up there, there's no reason not to do a Calgary show since they need to pass through either way).
  • Options
    rmwigham said:
    You should take another look.  Ticket prices for Calgary have completely collapsed and they're slowly but surely releasing the ridiculous VIP seats for normal (not Platinum) pricing (snagged 4th row floor last night after realizing it and it looks to be happening for Kelowna too).  Sorry to side track things.  Except screw Edmonton (and if PJ is going to schlep all the way up there, there's no reason not to do a Calgary show since they need to pass through either way).
    I grew up in central Alberta (near Jasper) and still say fuck Edmonton lol.  The Saddledumb is a horrible venue, it’s gawd awful. 

Thanks for the heads up! I’m going to take a look at the Tool tickets for Kelowna and see if I can grab a few. They were outlandish when I saw the announcement 
  • Options
    Zod said:
    JimmyV said:

St. John's
    Quebec City
    Montreal
    Ottawa
    Toronto x2
    Thunder Bay
    Calgary
    Edmonton
    Vancouver x2

Thanks, why do people keep forgetting about Victoria?  We're bigger than St. John's, St. John, Halifax, Moncton, Thunder Bay, Saskatoon and Regina.  I always felt like 2005 might of been our best bet at getting show as we're bigger than the capital cities of the Atlantic provinces :)

Also, to be unbiased I would add Halifax onto the list.  St John's on the edge of Canada.  It's a long way to go without doing another show in Atlantic Canada.

I think feasibly I'd do:

St. John's,
    Halifax
    Quebec City
    Montreal
    Ottawa
    Torontox2
    Winnipeg
    Vancouver
    Victoria.

Didn't put St. John, Thunder Bay or Penticton on my list because they have less than 100k people :)  If New Brunswick needs representation, maybe Moncton, but Moncton isn't that big  :)

I think "forgetting about Victoria" is just a fact of being so close to Vancouver. People just assume Victorians would just head to Van for the show. Big bands rarely hit Regina either because it's so close to Saskatoon. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I'd love to Via Rail around the country and see as many shows as possible, if not all, this would be awesome!
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 824
    Would just like to point out that Thunder Bay a, is the greatest city in the world, and b, once hosted a Pearl Jam concert. I'm sitting next to the poster, and every so often I look at it and remind myself, "They really did play the arena where you learned how to skate."
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    I really wish I had done a few dates on both the 2005/2011 tours. 2011 I had two very young children, but 2005 I was childless. Should have really done at least 4 shows or so. All I did was Winnipeg. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 558
    NWOntario said:
    Would just like to point out that Thunder Bay a, is the greatest city in the world, and b, once hosted a Pearl Jam concert. I'm sitting next to the poster, and every so often I look at it and remind myself, "They really did play the arena where you learned how to skate."
    I concur, but we really do need a new arena/convention center to draw more shows.
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    2024: Vancouver I, Vancouver II
  • Options
    Zod said:
    JimmyV said:

St. John's
    Quebec City
    Montreal
    Ottawa
    Toronto x2
    Thunder Bay
    Calgary
    Edmonton
    Vancouver x2

I think feasibly I'd do:

St. John's,
    Halifax
    Quebec City
    Montreal
    Ottawa
    Torontox2
    Winnipeg
    Vancouver
    Victoria.

I think "forgetting about Victoria" is just a fact of being so close to Vancouver. People just assume Victorians would just head to Van for the show. Big bands rarely hit Regina either because it's so close to Saskatoon. 
    I do, but a local show would be amazing.  When you think about it, it's about a 3.5 hour trip from Victoria to Vancouver or 5-6 hours to Seattle to see big shows.   The 5 hour drive from Saskatoon to Edmonton isn't that much different, if we use the, there's something close argument :)

The only time I've ever slept in my own bed after a PJ show was Calgary 2009.  I was living in Edmonton at the time, so we drove the 3 hours back after the show.    Not an option when you live on an Island :(
  • Options
    Kelowna is just over 100,000, kind of like Nanaimo here on Vancouver Island.  That's not a super big market.  When I was working on my list, I was mostly trying to think of places that have over 250,000 people.

It's all moot though, because so much of Canada is small market. There's a reason most bands dip in from US tours to play the bigger markets only :(
  • Options
    RyanRyan Posts: 1,030
    edited September 2023
    When they’re only playing 9-12 dates over a three week leg, you’re never going to see a tour like 2005 again.  A 2005 itinerary now would take like two months for the band to complete with how many days off they take (one between each show, at least one or two days off between cities).  In 2005 they play six shows in seven nights going from Saskatoon to southern Ontario.  That would never happen now.

I think the itinerary we saw in 2011 is best-case, but as I mentioned before, Canadian dates sprinkled in with US dates, like 2013, 2016, 2022 is most likely. 
    Post edited by Ryan on
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago