Single Video Theory Reissue - Ten Club Exclusive Blu-ray

1235»

Comments

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,339
    I finally got around to watching this the other night and I honestly don't think it looks all that different from the VHS version.

The audio sounded quite good, but I can't say that it sounded any better than the DVD version.

I feel dumb for buying this.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • When I worked in TV they the number one cardinal rule was never use red font. It has never looked good!
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011); Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 04, 2011); Deluna Fest Pensacola, FL (September 21, 2012); Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013); Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014); Wrigley Field I (August 20, 2016); Wrigley Field II (August 22, 2016); Home Shows Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018), Home Shows Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018), Apollo Theater (September 10, 2022), Madison Square Garden (September 11, 2022), Bourbon & Beyond Louisville (September 17th, 2022). 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,086
    edited August 2023
    When I worked in TV they the number one cardinal rule was never use red font. It has never looked good!

Made for the cinema. But still.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited August 2023
    DL40241 said:
    I read through the thread and even after that I was still disappointed when I checked mine out this morning.

As noted, they upscaled the DVD video, which was already a not-great transfer. So things that were red flags 25 years ago (like red chroma blocking and dot crawl) are now upscaled! These are direct screenshots from the blu-ray

Also worth noting the DVD had Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and this Blu-Ray only has PCM Stereo. I don't remember if it the 5.1 mix on the DVD was any good, so the stereo is probably the better track. But (1) the DVD had 5.1 audio and (2) the blu-ray packaging and disc have the Dolby Digital logo, but there's no Dolby Digital here. Dolby Labs could probably fine them for misusing the mark.

-leehro
    They didn't keep the surround track?

And also, I can't find a reason to why they would have upscaled the DVD... and not have a HQ master to upscale. But your screenshots do look like ass.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • DL40241DL40241 Posts: 5

Made for the cinema. But still.

These problems don't exist with film. There were limitations of analog video (for TV, VHS, LaserDisc and analog connections) and for compressed digital formats like DVD. So no, it wasn't going to stop filmmakers. Look up dot crawl or chroma subsampling.

And also, I can't find a reason to why they would have upscaled the DVD... and not have a HQ master to upscale. But your screenshots do look like ass.
    No they didn't keep the surround track. The reason for the upscale is most likely cost. Upscaling a DVD is far cheaper. One could do it in an afternoon with free software. Working with film is far more costly, and I have no idea how this was edited originally. So I'm sure it would have been a lot more work to do it right, but I think the audience is here and would pay a premium for a deluxe treatment, so why not try? It seems like they gave up doing anything but the bare minimum for reissues/remasters after the vs/vitalogy reissue. It is a shame, because the footage from these sessions used in PJ20 looks great. That's obviously a clean transfer from the film and not an upscale, but PJ20 was a feature film project with a budget.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    DL40241 said:
    I read through the thread and even after that I was still disappointed when I checked mine out this morning.

As noted, they upscaled the DVD video, which was already a not-great transfer. So things that were red flags 25 years ago (like red chroma blocking and dot crawl) are now upscaled! These are direct screenshots from the blu-ray

Also worth noting the DVD had Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and this Blu-Ray only has PCM Stereo. I don't remember if it the 5.1 mix on the DVD was any good, so the stereo is probably the better track. But (1) the DVD had 5.1 audio and (2) the blu-ray packaging and disc have the Dolby Digital logo, but there's no Dolby Digital here. Dolby Labs could probably fine them for misusing the mark.

-leehro

It was a little common in the videotape area, for things shot on film, to edit them on video tape.  The master could be videotape, and to get a true HD version they might have to get the original film elements, and reedit it on film :(    or they lost it, or it got damaged :(
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,178
    https://www.instagram dot com/p/CxJNdZmNq4I/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

edited September 2023
    Zod said:
    DL40241 said:

-leehro

It was a little common in the videotape area, for things shot on film, to edit them on video tape.  The master could be videotape, and to get a true HD version they might have to get the original film elements, and reedit it on film :(    or they lost it, or it got damaged :(
    Yes. But there is a difference in having a HQ master even in SD, and upscaling the compressed-for-DVD mpeg2 file. Or who knows, ripping the video off a pressed DVD copy and upscaling that. As the poster I quoted alluded to