Single Video Theory Reissue - Ten Club Exclusive Blu-ray

Comments

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    I'm probably asking the same question as "will it be in Dolby Atmos?", but will "uprezzing" (didn't know that was even a word) improve the sound quality?  Not spending $25+ for just a better pic.  Thanks
    $35 after shipping & tax.....I did order, but feel silly after most of the time

• ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    Zod said:
    Uprezzed suggests to me that you'd likely get a similar picture quality by having your Blu-ray player upscale your DVD.  
    Is the DVD even anamorphic? It was an early DVD release, being released in 98. So I imagine it is 4:3 letterboxed.

That makes this pretty "big" upgrade. 

Not big enough ofc. Because they should have gone back to the 16mm film elements @Santos L. Halper One shouldn't cheap out on these things.

The 1080p version that stream on vimeo wasn't anamorphic :(  It had the bars on the left and right because it was designed for vhs and 4:3 tv's, then it had bars at the top bottom, because it was widescreen.

Hopefully the bluray fixes that, and at least makes it anamorphic :)
    Anamorphic isn't a factor post DVD. Bluray is natively a widescreen format.

So, going from a single-layered, non anamorphic DVD to a Bluray is a step up.

The interesting question, with the film being in 1.66 is if they allow it to be slightly pillar-boxed or if they will zoom the image and loose some of the top and bottom.

But it has to be stressed -- they should go back to camera negative (if available). And If I were in @Rubysdad and @Santos L. Halper shoes I would stop this at once, discard of these discs and demand that the job is done proper (if possible). Make whoever is responsible for this not cheap out on the jamily with the shortsightedness of ugly "upprezzing". 

I mean, that's technically true, but there's also nothing stopping them from encoding the black bars in the video file (like the HD streaming version of single video theory).  Fingers cross they do it right.  
    on2legs said:
    Do people still have blu-ray players? 
    Yes.   I was a big fan of bluray when it was the best format.   For most of that era I was using gaming consoles to play the blurays.  Then a year and a half ago I went 4k, and the gaming consoles don't support all the HDR formats, so for the first time in 15 years I bought a standalone player that did.

I really built up my bluray collection, probably because when I started it, streaming wasn't that big yet.   I find my adoption rate for 4k blurays to be substantially less.  Probably because of how much they cost, and that for the first time I find that 4k streaming is pretty much good enough (unless it's from Canada's Crave service which is rubbish).    Basically I've been buying the odd new release on 4k bluray, and some of my favourite classics, but I doubt I'll mass a collection of them like I did bluray.  

I feel like optical media has it's followers, just like with music, vinyl has it's followers.   Vinyl isn't nearly as popular as when it peaked, and neither is optical media, but they both have diehard followings.
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,805
    Any idea how long this will be available on the site?

Want to purchase, but have put out a lot of money this month due to vacation, car, and kid stuff.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,339
    on2legs said:
    Yes. There are probably more Americans with Blu-ray players than with turntables.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,339
    drfox said:
    on2legs said:
    Yes. In my view Blu Rays are still great. It’s really the only way to have a permanent physical copy that you can watch at any time. You get the situation where streaming services just remove content from their platforms, making it impossible to watch a movie/programme (without finding an illegal download)
    But streaming services own content doesn't exist on physical media (in 2023) to begin with..?

And most other stuff one can rent. 

But everyone collecting physical films is a friend of mine. 

Miau:

Plenty of streaming content gets released on disc. I watched all of "Stranger Things" on DVDs, for example. Nearly all of the Oscar-nominated films produced by streamers have had physical releases (with a notable exception of the Best Picture-winning "CODA"). There are Criterion Collection Blu-ray releases of "The Power of the Dog," "Roma" and "The Irishman" (to name a few Netflix titles) and "Sound of Metal" (Amazon).
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,808
    pjl44 said:
    on2legs said:
    Yes. They're not expensive and there are certain movies and concert videos I want hard copies of.

Exactly.

Just because something is streaming doesn't necessarily mean it'll be there when I want to watch it.

You also have situations like the Michael Jackson Simpsons episode. I'm lucky enough to own that on DVD. Plus, I also own the 2004-era Star Wars DVDs that include the original (GOUT) editions of the movies.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,930
    BF25394 said:
    on2legs said:
    Yes. There are probably more Americans with Blu-ray players than with turntables.
    I used to buy my favorite movies on DVD in the 90s into the mid 2000s but never really watched them too much.  For some reason I prefer spontaneously stumbling across a movie favorite playing on tv to choosing one from the collection.  From there the only movies we bought on dvd were Disney movies when the kids were little because there was so much repeat viewing of those movies and streaming didn’t exist.  I completely bypassed a blu-Ray player when they came out for the same reasons and never really paid attention to the format especially when streaming became so ubiquitous.  Had no idea it was still a widespread thing.  👍🏻
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,178
    Any idea how long this will be available on the site?

Want to purchase, but have put out a lot of money this month due to vacation, car, and kid stuff.

It doesn't say limited edition so you should be fine, for a few days. 
  • kathynekkathynek Posts: 59
    It most likely will look like the videos they posted recently on YouTube. Those don’t have the bars on the sides OR on top/bottom. I think those are also somewhere in our tenclub accounts. 

I also noticed there is a “digital” copy available at places like iTunes https://tv.apple.com/us/movie/pearl-jam-single-video-theory/umc.cmc.605tebxpkxnx4wrhedq6i727m
    * St. Louis, MO - 02 July 1998 * Chicago, IL - 09 Oct 2000 * St. Louis, MO - 11 Oct 2000
    * Champaign, IL - 23 April 2003 * Las Vegas, NV - 06 June 2003 * Kansas City, KS - 12 June 2003
    * Chicago, IL - 18 June 2003 * St. Louis, MO - 05 Oct 2004 * Chicago, IL - 16 May 2006
    * Milwaukee, WI - 29 June 2006 * Chicago, IL - 05 Aug 2007 * Chicago, IL - 24 Aug 2008
    * Nashville, TN - 17 June 2009 * Nashville, TN - 18 June 2009 * Chicago, IL - 23 Aug 2009
    * St. Louis, MO - 04 May 2010 * Chicago, IL - 28 June 2011 * St. Louis, MO - 01 July 2011
    * East Troy, WI - 03 Sept 2011 * East Troy, WI - 04 Sept 2011 * Chicago, IL - 19 July 2013
    * Chicago, IL - 09 July 2015  * Chicago, IL 20 Aug 2016  * Chicago, IL - 18 Aug 2018 
    * Chicago, IL - 20 Aug 2018  * 2020 NO LUCK! :(
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,759
    kathynek said:
    It most likely will look like the videos they posted recently on YouTube. Those don’t have the bars on the sides OR on top/bottom. I think those are also somewhere in our tenclub accounts. 

I also noticed there is a “digital” copy available at places like iTunes https://tv.apple.com/us/movie/pearl-jam-single-video-theory/umc.cmc.605tebxpkxnx4wrhedq6i727m
    Digital copies have been available for awhile but not in HD 
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    kathynek said:

not entirely true, vimeo has it, and it's "HD" but sourced from SD.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,086
    edited July 2023
    This new version will be sourced from SD also. He he he.

Shot on 16mm, but Pearl Jam doesn't seem to be into film preservation. Or will you pump the brakes and fix this @Rubysdad @Santos L. Halper

Nirvana seemed to have been into keeping things in order. This is 16mm. Obviously youtube compressed which doesn't like grain. 

https://youtu.be/tGc8jL4dzao

yummyyummuymmY

https://youtu.be/MS91knuzoOA
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited July 2023
    I'm probably asking the same question as "will it be in Dolby Atmos?", but will "uprezzing" (didn't know that was even a word) improve the sound quality?  Not spending $25+ for just a better pic.  Thanks

I wonder if Josh Evans is behind the audio remix of this Single Video Theory reissue release. If so, I hope he does use Dolby Atmos.

im happy with the better quality, but there shouldve been an expanded version with some more footage/ adds
  • AA295481AA295481 Posts: 108
    pjl44 said:
    on2legs said:
    Yes. They're not expensive and there are certain movies and concert videos I want hard copies of.

Exactly.

Just because something is streaming doesn't necessarily mean it'll be there when I want to watch it.

You also have situations like the Michael Jackson Simpsons episode. I'm lucky enough to own that on DVD. Plus, I also own the 2004-era Star Wars DVDs that include the original (GOUT) editions of the movies.
    I have the original Star Wars on VHS, not sure if I can convert them to DVD, I want to see Han Shoot Greedo first
    AA295481 said:
    pjl44 said:
    on2legs said:

Exactly.

I have the original Star Wars on VHS, not sure if I can convert them to DVD, I want to see Han Shoot Greedo first
    There's better ways to watch that.  There's some pretty dedicated Star Wars fans that have restored the original trilogy in it's original form, editing together video from the blurays and original film stock, to create theatrical versions of the movies.  It's pretty amazing.

ps.  There is an existing DVD of the theatrical versions, they were included as bonus discs on one of the special edition dvd releases :)
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,808
    Zod said:
    AA295481 said:
    pjl44 said:
    on2legs said:

Exactly.

There's better ways to watch that.  There's some pretty dedicated Star Wars fans that have restored the original trilogy in it's original form, editing together video from the blurays and original film stock, to create theatrical versions of the movies.  It's pretty amazing.

ps.  There is an existing DVD of the theatrical versions, they were included as bonus discs on one of the special edition dvd releases :)

I'm not a Star Wars super fan by any stretch of the imagination, but it's my understanding the GOUT editions are fairly close to the original. The only disappointment (IMO), is that they're 4x3 widescreen. When I watch them, I have black bars on all sides of the TV.

And yeah, I have that existing DVD. It came out circa 2004 as a double DVD. The first/main DVD is the 2004 edition that airs on TNT with Greedo shooting, Hayden Christensen during the ROTJ funeral scene, etc. The second DVD of each box is the OGs.

I heard these originals(?) or something close to them were released on Blu-Ray a few years ago, but you need to look for a certain packaging. It's easy to get confused and buy updated versions. I thought I heard these were out of print and extremely expensive.

As for what you're mentioning, I've heard of that. Legally, you're supposed to buy the Blu-Ray and then download these fan edits, from what I understand. I guess I don't care that much.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,759
    Zod said:
    igotid88 said:
    kathynek said:

I've seen that one 
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 said:
    Zod said:
    igotid88 said:
    kathynek said:

I've seen that one 
    That’s what she said 
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,550
    edited July 2023
    Zod said:
    AA295481 said:
    pjl44 said:
    on2legs said:

Exactly.

I'm not a Star Wars super fan by any stretch of the imagination, but it's my understanding the GOUT editions are fairly close to the original. The only disappointment (IMO), is that they're 4x3 widescreen. When I watch them, I have black bars on all sides of the TV.

And yeah, I have that existing DVD. It came out circa 2004 as a double DVD. The first/main DVD is the 2004 edition that airs on TNT with Greedo shooting, Hayden Christensen during the ROTJ funeral scene, etc. The second DVD of each box is the OGs.

I heard these originals(?) or something close to them were released on Blu-Ray a few years ago, but you need to look for a certain packaging. It's easy to get confused and buy updated versions. I thought I heard these were out of print and extremely expensive.

As for what you're mentioning, I've heard of that. Legally, you're supposed to buy the Blu-Ray and then download these fan edits, from what I understand. I guess I don't care that much.

The 2006 DVD versions are transferred from the LaserDisc versions and that's why they're not anamorphic.
    Post edited by darthvedder on
    Zod said:
    AA295481 said:
    pjl44 said:
    on2legs said:

Exactly.

Yes there was a DVD release. Picked up the set at good old Future Shop. I miss that store.

demetrios said:
    Zod said:
    AA295481 said:
    pjl44 said:
    on2legs said:

Exactly.

Yes there was a DVD release. Picked up the set at good old Future Shop. I miss that store.

I also miss Future Shop.  I still like to buy optical media, but it's pretty much just Amazon now :(
  • my_wavemy_wave Posts: 346
    This reminds me of when Darth Vedder said "Impressive"... not sure what show that's from or what he's referencing but I have it on an old bootleg... also at night 2 in West Palm Beach in 98 they had a ping pong tournament on stage and played the Star Wars theme while it happened, it was badass!
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12

Todd McFarlane & Pearl Jam Release Special Gift For 25th Anniversary Of Music Video

https://screenrant.com/todd-mcfarlane-pearl-jam-25th-anniversary-music-video/

This Friday release date. :)

Todd McFarlane recalls almost making Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder pass out while playing catch #toddmcfarlane #pearljam #dotheevolution #eddievedder #sdcc #sdcc2023 #interview #shorts

is this shipping out soon?