Sincere question on recently closed threads

JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
edited May 2023 in The Porch
I've been away from the board and just read several threads very upset about the ticket prices, PJ Premium tix, etc.  Most people are just telling their experiences and their opinions on it. Yes, many are upset, but hardly anyone is being rude or abusive.

Of all bands I'm really surprised that those threads are closed without any reason stated or which forum rule they violated explained. Kat and Sea when you close threads don't you usually say why you're closing them?  I don't understand why fans sharing sincere concerns, opinions, and experiences with recent ticket onsales are censored here, on PJ's discussion forum.  Does the band not want to know what fans think?

Sincere question, why are these discussions getting shut down?
Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    1 or 2 threads to commiserate is enough wouldn’t you say? Do we need 20 individual threads all about the same experience crowding out other non-ticket related discussions? 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    1 or 2 threads to commiserate is enough wouldn’t you say? Do we need 20 individual threads all about the same experience crowding out other non-ticket related discussions? 
    It's a REALLY big issue. A pretty big departure (not this tour & prices alone, but recent ones). Maybe merge them into one or two threads, but shutting them down with no comment? That is not how it usually happens here.
  • CO278952CO278952 Posts: 1,346
    There is an almost insurmountable level of bitching I think they are just trying to keep the forum organized as 2 feigns stated above. 
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden 07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa 5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin 9.3.24 MSG 9.4.24 MSG Fenway 9.15.24 Fenway 9.17.24
  • patkelly12patkelly12 Posts: 361
    Censorship is cool again. Try and be more progressive.
  • OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 769
    They didn't keep anyone from posting. That would be censorship. They just said go post on the thread that's already open, rather than starting a new one about the same thing.
  • patkelly12patkelly12 Posts: 361
    They didn't keep anyone from posting. That would be censorship. They just said go post on the thread that's already open, rather than starting a new one about the same thing.

Perhaps you would be so kind to point out the thread that was already "open" that would correspond to

What's the difference between Pearl Jam and a Scalper?

• tylermooretylermoore Posts: 921

Perhaps you would be so kind to point out the thread that was already "open" that would correspond to

What's the difference between Pearl Jam and a Scalper?

Yeesh 🙄 
    kick rocks 
  • andrew68andrew68 Posts: 1,803
    edited April 2023
    i had a thread closed

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/297896/verified-fans-tickets-getting-more-tickets-in-the-hands-of-fans#latest

not sure what rules where broken....i pointed out TM's and the band's insane prices....was I sarcastic ?  absolutely 

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines#latest

expressing one's frustration about the band's TM hypocrisy  etc seems to be a non starter.

if it's not censorship i'm not sure what is

Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...
    andrew68 said:
    i had a thread closed

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/297896/verified-fans-tickets-getting-more-tickets-in-the-hands-of-fans#latest

not sure what rules where broken....i pointed out TM's and the band's insane prices....was I sarcastic ?  absolutely 

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines#latest

expressing one's frustration about the band's TM hypocrisy  etc seems to be a non starter.

Since the webcrawler days back when I used to listen to No Code on a Panasonic disc man I am pretty sure moderators of internet discussion boards / forums have discouraged users creating multiple threads about the same subject 
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden 07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa 5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin 9.3.24 MSG 9.4.24 MSG Fenway 9.15.24 Fenway 9.17.24
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    IBTL

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    CO278952 said:
    andrew68 said:
    i had a thread closed

Since the webcrawler days back when I used to listen to No Code on a Panasonic disc man I am pretty sure moderators of internet discussion boards / forums have discouraged users creating multiple threads about the same subject 
    at THEIR discretion... I see multiple posts about the same thing with positive, pro band opinions, experiences etc

it's the negative ones that get closed 

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    More threads about the same thing get made when you don’t want to sift through the 20 existing threads. Thread control friends. Thread control. ❤️
    www.cluthelee.com
    One of these things is not like the others,
    One of these things just doesn't belong,
    Can you tell which thing is not like the others
    By the time I finish my song?

Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
    Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?
    If you guessed this one is not like the others,
    Then you're absolutely...right!

• KM73780KM73780 Posts: 1,110
    andrew68 said:
    One of these things is not like the others,
    One of these things just doesn't belong,
    Can you tell which thing is not like the others
    By the time I finish my song?

Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
    Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?
    If you guessed this one is not like the others,
    Then you're absolutely...right!

Haha. Exactly. 
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,247
    This☝️
  • RP112579RP112579 Posts: 3,380
    edited April 2023
    People like to start their own thread because they think their own comments about tickets are special and unique. They don't want their comments to get lost in the shuffle of the other comments in the main thread about tickets. It's basically a "LOOK AT ME" thing. Then when it gets closed or merged, they get mad and cry about being censored because they are fragile as fuck.
    Post edited by RP112579 on
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    8/29/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/31/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,755
    RP112579 said:
    People like to start their own thread because they think their own comments about tickets are special and unique. They don't want their comments to get lost in the shuffle of the other comments in the main thread about tickets. It's basically a "LOOK AT ME" thing. Then when it gets closer or merged, they get mad and cry about being censored because they are fragile as fuck.
    Bingo. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • smile6680smile6680 Posts: 378
    Unfortunately, you may be correct. People don't like to be criticized. China, Russia and any other entity that has the power to shut down something they don't like being said about them.
    RP112579 said:
    People like to start their own thread because they think their own comments about tickets are special and unique. They don't want their comments to get lost in the shuffle of the other comments in the main thread about tickets. It's basically a "LOOK AT ME" thing. Then when it gets closed or merged, they get mad and cry about being censored because they are fragile as fuck.
    perhaps you're right...could also be they (me) think they have something valid to share 

fwiw...i got the pair of GA I wanted in the 10C lotto, Stoked ... my motivation is to point out the hypocrisy of pearl jam the corporation...also, consider this...if a thread is closed down due to criticism of 10C/PJ....who's the fragile one?
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,931
    edited April 2023
    If it was censorship wouldn’t they be deleting individual critical comments from the main threads on this topic?   Get a grip people.  They’re just deleting duplicate threads as per the forum guidelines.  No different than every other moderated discussion board on the internet. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

I've read everyone's comments. First let me be clear, what I'm about to say is not targeting Kat or Sea or any other moderators here.  One never knows what one is asked to do or does on their own or how things happen here.

That said, what felt very different to me is almost every time I've seen a thread closed here, whoever closes it gives a reason.  "Other discussions already about this" or if it broke a rule, naming what rule it broke.

I've hardly been here for the last few months, but was similarly disappointed when I looked at ticket prices and what I noticed in actually trying to buy them about HOW they seemed to be priced.  Then I come here for the first time in awhile and see a lot of discussion about it, and I agree that the "What's the difference between PJ & a Scalper?" thread did bring in some new questions and information. So to me, not the exact same discussion others were having, though the complaining about prices certainly was a consistent theme.

I guess as someone who first joined the Tenclub in '93 (but sadly a few lapses mean my number is way high now), but who's been actively reading & sometimes posting over the years, I would just hope a band that is as committed to free speech and questioning authority as they've always been, would continue to allow or explain what the offense was on their official discussion board when fans raise concerns or questions about how even they do things.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,341
    The Ten Club is not the government. It is a private organization that set up a private message board for its members. It can place parameters on the board that it provides and maintains. Analogies to China are way off-base. In China, there would be no message board.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,664
    BF25394 said:
    The Ten Club is not the government. It is a private organization that set up a private message board for its members. It can place parameters on the board that it provides and maintains. Analogies to China are way off-base. In China, there would be no message board.
    Truth
  • OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 769
    BF25394 said:
    Exactly.
    BF25394 said:
    You are responding to...what? I said nothing about China. I also said nothing about not wanting parameters. What I DID talk about is norms that have existed the entire time I've been here (which is decades for the most part) that I didn't see in place here. Norms including when someone violates the parameters, a statement being made about which parameter was violated.

Are you really trying to say that even asking the question = comparing the board to China and complaining that there are any parameters?
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Think of this place like a bar. You pay to drink/post, but management is free to warn you or ask you to leave if it thinks you have gotten out of line. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."

JimmyV said:
    Think of this place like a bar. You pay to drink/post, but management is free to warn you or ask you to leave if it thinks you have gotten out of line. 
    Nothing in my post indicates that that is a question for me. And management should have the power to warn you or ask you to leave.  It's the "Getting shut off of buying drinks" without being drunk, disorderly, or being told any other reason for it that I have a question about. Management can still cut you off from buying drinks without giving a reason, but if a reason is usually given, it's fair to ask why this is different.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    I’m glad they’re closed.
    No explanation needed. There’s already multiple ticket threads. Many of us are in the same boat. Paying more for tickets. Not sure where our seats are. 
    We don’t need 100 individual threads for each person who isn’t happy with the outcome so far. Post a comment in one of the already existing threads and move on. 
  • RansomPTDRansomPTD Posts: 297
    My fear with all these threads complaining about things is that the Ten Club will start charging us to use the forum.  
This discussion has been closed.