Options

The Official 2024 TOUR Thread

Comments

• Options
    Williston said:
    pjl44 said:
    Someone is gonna log on at 6:00, see 125 new messages, get excited, then get treated to 5 pages of monologues about regional chain restaurants 
    Lol
    That was me 
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,509
    Spunkie said:
    Spunkie said:
    Sorry to go off the food topic, but random tour question...

What's the closest anyone has cut it from landing in a city -> in your seat(pit) at the show?

Like, all assumptions aside like: I have a ticket, I have a flight, flight is on time, deboarding is smooth, ubers are fast... Is 1 hour enough to get from Las Vegas airport to a ~9PM show start at MGM Grand Arena?

Bonus question, in this scenario, what have you done with your bag given not enough time to check into a hotel to drop it off? Find a locker?
    I might try to land in Auckland and hit the show that night if my airline doesn't bump my flight (switch to earlier arrival). I will have time to ditch my bag though. Sometimes with jet lag, there's that long time after being on a plane energy just to get out and move - were here tired excitement sooooo... 

I did Dana Point -> arrive -> ditch bags -> hit show. Early start day!! Pipsqeuak hung in there :) Change your hotel to something on route to ditch your bag if you don't want to backtrack to the airport locker? Sometimes there was lockers on grounds like at Dana Point? Put spare undies in pocket? Travel with ID credit card? Go commando next day?
    That's rough with jet lag to NZ. Doing it in same time zone (to Ohana) not as unusual. Even if you sleep on plane it's really rough...
    Ya, we board in the evening and arrive 11am. I'm getting some anti-anxiety pills to help me sleep. Cheaper than signature class, haha. Although those lie flat seats are tempting enough to put a last minute bid in. 🤔  

We can settle into our beautiful digs, dine and refresh, and if we have catch that evening show then at least we won't go to bed in the middle of the day!  That might help us sleep at the end of the night and start our mornings properly next day.

I really didn't plan anything else except for a bungy and ferry ride for those first few days. Just beautiful waves sounds and PJ ❤️ 
    I live on west coast...I have same time zone changes...4 times I've headed west across Pacific and jet lag always hits hard after being there a few hours. Even the times I've flown over with lie flat. Good luck
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,941
    ^ Good to know. Thanks. Sound like we'd be better off enjoying the second show in New Zealand, rather than the first. 
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,924
    So, we're flying into Bellingham on the 3rd and crossing into BC on the 4th. Any recommendations on:
    1. Which border crossing to use
    2. Things to do during a half day in Bellingham 
    3. Things to do in Vancouver between the shows. I REALLY want to hit up Vancouver Island, but I know just 1 day is not enough. Was contemplating a day trip up to Whistler. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,659
    So, we're flying into Bellingham on the 3rd and crossing into BC on the 4th. Any recommendations on:
    3. Things to do in Vancouver between the shows. I REALLY want to hit up Vancouver Island, but I know just 1 day is not enough. Was contemplating a day trip up to Whistler. 
    @Zod
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,396
    edited February 10
    1) Generally you would use the peace arch.  I don't think May is in Peak season yet.  The last time I crossed the lineups were to go into the US , not into Canada :)   This crossing connects the I5 in the US with highway 99 in Canada which is the route you want to go to get to Vancouver.

There is a 2nd border crossing called the "Truck crossing" that's on a parallel road to the peace arch. They have overhead signs with the wait times.  If the lineup is long sometimes you can save a few minutes going over to the truck crossing.  The truck crossing also accept regular vehicles.

2) I'm not sure. We usually hit up Bellingham to do a costco run or stock up on things that are either cheaper or that we don't have in Canada.  I've never done much in Bellingham other than buy stuff.   We have gone over and wandered around anacortes because there used to be a ferry there that went to Vancouver Island.  If had time to kill in Bellingham, I think It'd go over and check out Mount Baker :)   I've spent my whole life staring at that thing from across the water, and it would be cool to check it out up close one day.

3) I was thinking of doing a hike on the off day in Vancouver if my wife doesn't mind me vanishing for a bit (I always seem to want to go up something).  I've been wanting to do the St. Mark's Summit.   I did Lynn Peak after the pumpkins show in 2022.

Vancouver Island is doable.   The Nanaimo Ferry (Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay) is closer to Downtown than the ferry to where i live (Victoria). The problem is you end up in Nanaimo :)   I guess if I had to land in Nanaimo, I would check out some stuff north of Nanaimo like the Rathrevor Beach (near Parksville), Englishman River falls, maybe little Qualicum falls.    Totally doable in a day if you take an early ferry over and an evening ferry back.   You could also do the new passenger ferry, but you end up not close to much, and have no vehicle to explore.

Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    Spunkie said:
    Spunkie said:

What's the closest anyone has cut it from landing in a city -> in your seat(pit) at the show?

Like, all assumptions aside like: I have a ticket, I have a flight, flight is on time, deboarding is smooth, ubers are fast... Is 1 hour enough to get from Las Vegas airport to a ~9PM show start at MGM Grand Arena?

Bonus question, in this scenario, what have you done with your bag given not enough time to check into a hotel to drop it off? Find a locker?
    I might try to land in Auckland and hit the show that night if my airline doesn't bump my flight (switch to earlier arrival). I will have time to ditch my bag though. Sometimes with jet lag, there's that long time after being on a plane energy just to get out and move - were here tired excitement sooooo... 

I did Dana Point -> arrive -> ditch bags -> hit show. Early start day!! Pipsqeuak hung in there :) Change your hotel to something on route to ditch your bag if you don't want to backtrack to the airport locker? Sometimes there was lockers on grounds like at Dana Point? Put spare undies in pocket? Travel with ID credit card? Go commando next day?
    That's rough with jet lag to NZ. Doing it in same time zone (to Ohana) not as unusual. Even if you sleep on plane it's really rough...
    Ya, we board in the evening and arrive 11am. I'm getting some anti-anxiety pills to help me sleep. Cheaper than signature class, haha. Although those lie flat seats are tempting enough to put a last minute bid in. 🤔  

We can settle into our beautiful digs, dine and refresh, and if we have catch that evening show then at least we won't go to bed in the middle of the day!  That might help us sleep at the end of the night and start our mornings properly next day.

I really didn't plan anything else except for a bungy and ferry ride for those first few days. Just beautiful waves sounds and PJ ❤️ 
    I live on west coast...I have same time zone changes...4 times I've headed west across Pacific and jet lag always hits hard after being there a few hours. Even the times I've flown over with lie flat. Good luck
    That's interesting. I can handle going west as I gain hours, it's going East that always gives me jet lag. I'm always exhausted when I lose hours :)
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,509
    Zod said:
    Spunkie said:
    Spunkie said:

That's interesting. I can handle going west as I gain hours, it's going East that always gives me jet lag. I'm always exhausted when I lose hours :)
    Crossing that date line screws it up.. you get there 2 days later.  If I leave Nov 5th late PM get there early AM of the 7th
  • Options
    julieferjuliefer New Westminster, BC Posts: 395
    1. Like Zod said, there is a wait time sign over the I-5 as you get closer, just pick the shorter line, Peace Arch or truck crossing
    2. Old Fairhaven is a cute little area with lots of restaurants and shops and things. You could easily wander around there for a few hours.
    3. You could squeeze in an island visit but the ferries and waiting will eat up quite a bit of time. Is there something in particular you want to see there? Maybe we can come up with a similar alternative option on the mainland.
  • Options
    Original_ShiftyOriginal_Shifty Great White North Posts: 290
    edited February 10
    2. I was going to recommend dropping by Everyday Music but damn if they haven't closed. Bummer. Not much else to do in Bellingham. 
    Post edited by Original_Shifty on
    2011: Vancouver
    2013: LA 1 & LA 2, Vancouver
    2018: Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
    2022: LA 1 & LA 2
    2024: Vancouver 1 & Vancouver 2, Portland, Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
  • Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions. 

@Zod @juliefer For Vancouver Island, the major "wants" are to head up near/to Tofino. Also check out the plane crash site south of there. Mostly, probably things outside of Victoria. The videos I've seen have just depicted Vancouver Island as the most beautiful place!

We enjoy hiking quite a bit. We are also planning on going to the Portland show and may try getting to some of the National Parks in Washington if weather permits. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 821
    A cool thing to do between shows is maybe check out Main Street in Vancouver. There are 2 great record stores (Neptoon Records, and Redcat Records) and other shops, as well one of my favourite restaurants (Burgoo). There are also plenty of places to grab coffee and/or beers.
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
  • Options
    iammine16 said:
    A cool thing to do between shows is maybe check out Main Street in Vancouver. There are 2 great record stores (Neptoon Records, and Redcat Records) and other shops, as well one of my favourite restaurants (Burgoo). There are also plenty of places to grab coffee and/or beers.
    If I'm not hiking somewhere, then yes, somewhere to grab beers and foods is paramount!!! 
  • Options
    EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    I'm from Chicago and I over did Culvers that I don't go very often anymore,  Their burgers are kind of crispy and not a lot of flavor. I love the curds and custard.  I always liked In-N-Out Burger but it might be association for being on vacation in Vegas.  If you are staying by Paris or the Horseshoe you need to stop by Ellis Island on Koval (about 2 blocks off the street).  They have a good BBQ restaurant and an actually decent steak special for less than $20 (I think you can get $5 off even that if you get a card and play $20 in slots/Video Poker).  It used to be a local's secret years ago.  
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,941
    edited February 10
    iammine16 said:
    If I'm not hiking somewhere, then yes, somewhere to grab beers and foods is paramount!!! 
    On the way to dine in Whistler you can work up an appetite hiking The Chief, the largest granite monolith rock in Squamish. 
  • Options
    Spunkie said:
    iammine16 said:
    On the way to dine in Whistler you can work up an appetite hiking The Chief, the largest granite monolith rock in Squamish. 
    Now that sounds intriguing, and Canadian asf! Heading to Google now.
  • Options

@Zod @juliefer For Vancouver Island, the major "wants" are to head up near/to Tofino. Also check out the plane crash site south of there. Mostly, probably things outside of Victoria. The videos I've seen have just depicted Vancouver Island as the most beautiful place!

We enjoy hiking quite a bit. We are also planning on going to the Portland show and may try getting to some of the National Parks in Washington if weather permits. 

I was hiking out at the crash site last may long, it was pretty fun.   Pacific Rim National Park is 4.5 hours from victoria, so it must be 3 from Nanaimo.   Technically doable on a day trip if you took the first and last ferry over, you'd have some hours there :)

This place is pretty amazing. Didn't realize it until I moved away once upon a time.
  • Options
    MattayMattay Posts: 35
    Can’t Deep Fry Me 
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 767
    There is a rumor that it has been leaked! 

AlternativeNation.net  · Follow

· 
    Pearl Jam's 2024 tour announcement date is rumored to have leaked!
    A user on the Ten Club board has stated that February 13th will see the announcement of Pearl Jam's 2024 tour and new album, with new music being released as well.
  • Options
    njhaley1njhaley1 Valley of the Sun Posts: 304
    For those of you familiar with the MGM venue, what's the easiest, most affordable approach to parking? We'll be heading up from Phoenix and crashing outside of town Saturday night before heading home Sunday morning. 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,594
    kaw753 said:

· 
    A user on the Ten Club board has stated that February 13th will see the announcement of Pearl Jam's 2024 tour and new album, with new music being released as well.
    That site is trash
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 859
    Yeah I used to follow it until I saw the light. Then I posted on Facebook a few times whatever one line of news it really was and if it was already recycled and Brett blocked me. Felt like I achieved something. Makes the Blabbermouth team look like an army of David Frickes 😂
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,745
    kaw753 said:

· 
    That site is trash Can't believe it's taken them so long to post this
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    steven87steven87 Posts: 1,329
    edited February 10
    Kearn5y said:
    kaw753 said:

· 
    That site is trash

Since AlternativeNation simply seems to recycle information posted by other users on this board, I’m almost expecting the next headline on AlternativeNation to be: “Ten Club board users state AlternativeNation is trash” 🤣 
    Post edited by steven87 on
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,745
    steven87 said:
    Kearn5y said:
    kaw753 said:

· 
    That site is trash

Since AlternativeNation simply seems to recycle information posted by other users on this board, I’m almost expecting the next headline on AlternativeNation to be: “Ten Club board users state AlternativeNation is trash” 🤣  But everyone knows that, so it's not news. Think some of the posts got mixed up by the way. 
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 859
    Hope Brett got them mixed up too. Knob.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 675
    edited February 10
    kaw753 said:

· 
    They are literally getting their info from this thread
    Post edited by kmcmanus on
  • Options
    deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,263
    Maybe alt nation will list the lost dogs 2 album next containing new food theme versions of PJs best songs
  • Options
    Zod said:

I was hiking out at the crash site last may long, it was pretty fun.   Pacific Rim National Park is 4.5 hours from victoria, so it must be 3 from Nanaimo.   Technically doable on a day trip if you took the first and last ferry over, you'd have some hours there :)

This place is pretty amazing. Didn't realize it until I moved away once upon a time.
    It is good to know that May is a good month to visit for hiking. We prefer to try most of our travels while schools are still in session. Far fewer people out there exploring during those times.
  • Options
    Spunkie said:
    iammine16 said:
    Thanks @Spunkie - this seems like a real possibility for us!

Which is to say those 2 SEA dates probably now end up being split up. 1 show being at the Gorge just before Missoula. In which case I would HAVE to pivot from Vancouver and hit up the Gorge/Missoula prior to Indy & Chicago.
This discussion has been closed.