Options

Gigaton revisited

13»

Comments

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,293
    I liked the more oblique reference in "Seven O'Clock" to "Sitting Bullshit as our sitting president," although it's a bit of a tongue-twister and easy to end up singing "our shitting president."
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,891
    I still think this is their strongest work since yield.   
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    mcgruff10 said:
    I still think this is their strongest work since yield.   
    For sure. Best overall album they've put out front to back in a while. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752
    edited March 28
    DotC was the pandemic. That song was a mindfuck. Listen to the words and remember what you were doing in late March 2020. Great album, great lyrics and music 

Expecting perfection
    Leaves a lot to endure
    When the past is the present
    And the future's no more
    When every tomorrow
    Is the same as before
    Numbers keep falling off the calendar's floor
    We're stuck in our boxes
    Windows open no more
    Collecting up the forget-me-nots
    Not recalling what they're for

Those 10 lines were Covid. I went through all my old shit in the garage, throwing shit out I had keep for year. Days just fading away, barely leaving the house. That song was creepy af 

I feel like Retrograde was my big win for the album, that’s the one I go back too constantly. Love the build 
    Post edited by Foriginal Sin on
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,064
    The climax of Retrograde is fucking phenomenal. Especially live. 
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,939
    It will always be the Pandemic album for me, but in a good way. It was my pandemic soundtrack. I was listening to this album again this past week, the first time in a while, and I still think it’s one of PJs better albums since Yield. 
    There’s only one or two misfires and even then, there’s not a song I don’t like. Buckle Up is at the bottom of my rankings but it’s not because I don’t like it, It’s just the rest are better. 
    In my opinion WES, DotC, Quick Escape, Alright, 7, Take the Long Way and Retrograde are all really good songs. I’m going to both Melbourne shows later in the year and I’m really hoping to hear a couple of Gigaton songs per show as they haven’t toured here since 2014. Mainly hoping to hear QE, Retrograde, Dance and WES. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,802

In my opinion WES, DotC, Quick Escape, Alright, 7, Take the Long Way and Retrograde are all really good songs. I’m going to both Melbourne shows later in the year and I’m really hoping to hear a couple of Gigaton songs per show as they haven’t toured here since 2014. Mainly hoping to hear QE, Retrograde, Dance and WES. 
    The ones you name here are all of my favorites from that album too.  Quick Escape is their best song since Riot Act, maybe even Binaural. 
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,066
    edited March 28
    DotC was the pandemic. That song was a mindfuck. Listen to the words and remember what you were doing in late March 2020. Great album, great lyrics and music 

Expecting perfection
    Leaves a lot to endure
    And the future's no more
    When every tomorrow
    Is the same as before
    We're stuck in our boxes
    Windows open no more

Those 10 lines were Covid. I went through all my old shit in the garage, throwing shit out I had keep for year. Days just fading away, barely leaving the house. That song was creepy af 

I feel like Retrograde was my big win for the album, that’s the one I go back too constantly. Love the build 
    Yep. These lyrics from different tracks are out of context obviously but when I would hear them, it was so eerie.

Don't allow for hopelessness, focus on your focusness
    I've been hoping that our hope does last

And we think about the old days
    Of green grass, sky and red wine
    Should've known, so fragile

It's alright, to shut it down
    Disappear in thin air, it's your home
    It's alright, to be alone
    To listen for a heartbeat, it's your own

For this is no time for depression or self-indulgent hesitance
    This fucked-up situation calls for all hands on deck

Feels like illusion... This taking place?
    Disease of confusion... Stripped of our grace

Don't wanna believe it... These endless miles

Never destination, just more denial

Forever futures fading out
    Feel the retrograde all around

It's gonna take much more time than ordinary love
    To lift this up

Can't spot a figure on dry land
    And afterthoughts of safety
    When in truth, none to be had...
    None to be had
    Post edited by bobasfeet on
  • Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 671
    Retrograde is one of my favourite pearl jam songs ever.

Love this album, reminds me of home schooling my daughter while I was furloughed from work, taking long walks around the lakes with her, while my wife was working extra hours we made sure we took good care her while she was home.

My daughter who is now 8 still calls this the lockdown record.

• Options
    KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,237

Expecting perfection
    Leaves a lot to endure
    And the future's no more
    We're stuck in our boxes
    Windows open no more

The lyrics are so eerie without even knowing it at the time.

When every tomorrow
    Is the same as before
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,678
    Great album. WES, DOC, Quick escape, Alright, retrograde, River cross are my favs. River Cross in Denver was incredible. Gigaton was and is a solid album. Excited for DM