Gigaton revisited

Comments

• Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,167
    bobasfeet said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    7??? 4 man
    Typo. Fixed. My bad.
    all good, i thought i bumped my head and ended up in 2027, was nervous I missed Dark Matter & all the shows 
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,066
    CROJAM95 said:
    bobasfeet said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    7??? 4 man
    Typo. Fixed. My bad.
    all good, i thought i bumped my head and ended up in 2027, was nervous I missed Dark Matter & all the shows 
    lol. that would suck.
  • Options
    deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,097

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    PJNB said:
    River Cross is def the one that dropped off the most for me especially live. 7oclock as well just keeps going and going and is pretty boring imo. 

Whoever Said 
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde

Are really the only songs I care to hear live again if at all.  

Agree with you bud.  I feel like retrograde could really go places if they continue to play it live.  Quick escape is definitely good live but for me it sounds a little thin at times (if that makes sense).  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,297
    PJNB said:
    River Cross is def the one that dropped off the most for me especially live. 7oclock as well just keeps going and going and is pretty boring imo. 

Whoever Said 
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde

I actually love how "Seven O'Clock" builds and builds, finally reaching an emotional crescendo with the "much to be done" refrain. I thought it was very powerful live as well.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    bobasfeet said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    bobasfeet said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    7??? 4 man
    Typo. Fixed. My bad.
    lol. that would suck.
    It's a tradeoff. There could be some things yet to come in 2024 that will be worth missing.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    bobasfeet said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    bobasfeet said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    7??? 4 man
    Typo. Fixed. My bad.
    lol. that would suck.
    It's a tradeoff. There could be some things yet to come in 2024 that will be worth missing.
    Covid and renovations kept me from Baltimore show and I am pumped for this tour.
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 456
    I still listen to at least part of it daily.

Seven O'clock and Retrograde have moved into my Top 15 PJ songs.

When it's all said and done, I will have listed to Gigaton more than anything, at minimum proportionally to how long it's existed, at maximum actual listens.
    If not for love, I would be drowning.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,067
    4 years later I feel like it’s a solid PJ effort but I don’t love it as much as I initially thought I did. 

These are outstanding tracks for me:
    Retrograde
    Quick Escape
    Dance
    River Cross

I like:
    Alright
    Who Ever Said
    SBWM

These are fine in the context of the album but I definitely don’t seek them out and don’t really care to see them live:
    7:00
    Take the Long Way
    Never Destination 
    Comes and Goes

One of the worst PJ songs ever (maybe the worst for me)
    Buckle Up
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,760
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:

Whoever Said 
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde

I actually love how "Seven O'Clock" builds and builds, finally reaching an emotional crescendo with the "much to be done" refrain. I thought it was very powerful live as well.
    Songs that build and have a great payoff at the end are some of my favourites.

Present Tense, Inside Job, Parting Ways and Immortality for example. I am not expecting it to be that good just saying what I enjoy 

This song just comes off as too much of a word salad and a verse too long for me.  When it finally does kick in mostly everyone in the crowd has lost interest and it just falls flat.  
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,167
    BF25394 said:
    bobasfeet said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    bobasfeet said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    7??? 4 man
    Typo. Fixed. My bad.
    lol. that would suck.
    I was gonna say that, didnt wanna make someone butt hurt that I wasnt down for COUP PT 2
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:

Whoever Said 
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde

Songs that build and have a great payoff at the end are some of my favourites.

Present Tense, Inside Job, Parting Ways and Immortality for example. I am not expecting it to be that good just saying what I enjoy 

This song just comes off as too much of a word salad and a verse too long for me.  When it finally does kick in mostly everyone in the crowd has lost interest and it just falls flat.  
    It probably would be better if it lost a verse. Same goes for "Never Destination," and it should be the verse referencing Sean Penn's Bob Honey. I cringe at that line every time.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    still a huge fan of river cross and especially so live

SBWM too which is massively better live than on the record. 

Quick escape is a top tune, whoever said too and 7 0 clock.....

TBH the rest isnt listened to often at all but i think overall its a really good record.  

• Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 604
    I still like it but I never listen to it anymore. It was a constant companion at work at the hospital in 2020 but it takes me back a li’l too much sometimes. 
    My hot take on it is that for all the hate Buckle Up gets the actual worst PJ album track (non-Stupid Mop division) is Alright. 
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,509
    For me at least, there were a number of songs that I didn't really care for on the record, but were better live. 7:00, Retrograde and River Cross probably the most. I would still love to hear Comes Then Goes live. And I am one of an apparent handful who likes Buckle Up.  
  • Options
    I really like Alright, however, once again those pandemic vibes.  :s
     "It's alright to be alone" sounds reassuring and was meant to be, but so many people were. It still reminds me of being alone, scared, and helpless.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,760
    I think these songs would come off better live with longer sets. With shorter sets my mind wonders a bit thinking that it took the spot of a better song and is a bit of a set killer. 

I realize that could be just me and how I enjoy shows but if they keep Gigaton in heavy rotation (dont expect this) and have the new songs and the hits played at most shows this year the sets will suffer a lot imo. 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,893
    I have such explicit memories of this album. When everything shut down I would listen to it on my runs. That is how I learned the songs. The streets were so empty and I could run on the street, with barely any cars coming. I have had to change my route since then due to construction. But to this day when I listen to Gigaton I remember where on my running route I was when each song came on. I usually finished my run right before River Cross - so didn't listen to that one as much back then. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,181
    I feel like that album is ok, and has a few great tracks. I  seem to be contrarian as 7' oclock is one of my favourite songs on the album. I also love Dance of the Clairvoyants. I'm still bummed I didn't really get to hear many gigaton songs on the gigaton tour due to Oakland having to sub in other drummers.

I feel about the same with gigaton and lightning bolt. They both have a handful of songs I quite like, and then some other songs :) 
  • Options
    maverickmaverick Posts: 1,184
    Love this album and it has aged well in 4 years. 

Really hope the band plays a couple of these songs nightly and rotate them as most fans haven’t heard all of them live.  

River Cross and Retrograde are among my favorite songs from the band since Yield. 
    Alright sounded amazing live as did Who Ever Said. 

Hoping to hear Take The Long Way, Super Blood Wolf Moon, and Never Destination in NY/Philly this fall.  
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,225
    Personal Top 3 favorites live looking back and wouldn't mind hearing 1 of any given show...
    Who Ever Said
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde

Really enjoyed them live a lot more then I thought I would but indifferent if I ever hear them again. Candidates for deep cuts/rare plays once per tour:
    Never Destination
    Buckle Up (I know unpopular opinion but i think it's so great to my ears for some reason and I don't even know why)
    Take the Long Way
    Alright

SBWM, DOTC, River Cross, and 7 O'clock can never again be played and that is cool by me. 

And then obviously hard to formulate an opinion on CTG due to never being played - maybe 5/18 Vegas it will see its time in the spotlight and it would be awesome just because of the day.  Outside of that don't care if it's ever played and I never go back and listen to this track.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,552
    bobasfeet said:

First off, I love this album, but does anyone have a tough time listening to it sometimes? Specifically, in reference to the timing of its release around the pandemic. When the shit was hitting the fan, I was glad to have to have a new PJ record. During the lockdowns, I spent a lot of time alone listening to help take my mind off things. It felt like the soundtrack to the pandemic, eerily prophetic. Now when I listen, the music sometimes conjures up difficult memories and old feelings of the confusion and fear of the unknowns we were facing.

For me, some of this stuff reminded me of 2002 notebooks, so it brings that back, not when it was a final released 'notagig' product.
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 912
    It’s my favourite album since Binaural and is in rotation far more than Riot Act through Lightning Bolt for me. 

I like that it’s wordy in places even if couple of the lyrics come off a bit clumsy on occasion. “Trump hadn’t…” would have worked better as “That wasn’t..,” for me. It would be more universal but I understand and agree with the sentiment of the lyric.

I was “fortunate” enough to have to go to the lab every day almost like normal during the pandemic, as much as it could be anyway, so I don’t have the same pandemic vibes associated with it that a lot of people seem to be describing. The album was well and truly blasted in the lab for the limited colleagues and myself who were on site. I know that helped as it was “normal” even though it was anything but.

I really like Buckle Up. 
  • Options
    bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 713
    Gigaton is one of my favorite albums. Period. Absolutely love it from start to finish - even after 4 years. 
  • Options
    Love the album. Listened to it two days ago. But the specter of the pandemic and the dislocation and anxiety it caused still lingers over it. In the spring of 2020, with even hiking trails closed here, I would regularly go and visit the grave of my pet, which is located fifteen minutes from my house when there's no traffic (and there was never any traffic in the spring of 2020). I did this regularly under normal circumstances (and still do; alas, both of my pets now rest there), but there were a few extra visits in that period because it is a beautiful, outdoor spot where people are few and far between, and it was one of the few options for getting out of the house safely. Anyway, I was always playing Gigaton in my car at that time, starting at the beginning, which meant that every time I pulled into the parking lot at the cemetery, it was usually either at the end of "Quick Escape" or the beginning of "Alright," so those two songs in particular have this added weight. No matter where I am when those songs come on, I get a feeling like I'm arriving at the cemetery.
  • Options
    TA243471TA243471 The Great Northwest Posts: 1,144
    Never really loved most of the songs on this one, until seeing them live.  I've seen all of them but Alright and Comes then Goes live at least once.  Hated River Cross the 1st time, and really took to it after seeing it in Denver.  After seeing Retrograde in San Diego, it became one of my favorites on any of the albums. I like Take the Long Way a whole lot more after the live version.  Will probably never like Buckle Up.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
  • Options
    HK103094HK103094 Posts: 24
    edited March 27
    Still thinks this is their strongest record since Riot Act. Some really good songs that sounded great live. 

After 4 years, this is how I rank the songs today:

1 Dance of the clairvoyants: might be their strongest song since 2002. A lot of creativity in that song, great lyrics and overall it still feels fresh. And it was cool that they took the chance to flirt with electronic music.

2 Who ever said: the second part of the song is fantastic. Got that present tense leap forward in the second part of the song.

3 Retrograde: simalar feel as Who ever said. Really cool outro in the end. 

4 River cross: Stong final song. And it was touching to hear that song live in both Frankfurt and Krakow with all the madness that was and still is going on in Ukraine.

5 Quick escape: Strong melody. Feels overwhelming in a good way.

6 Comes then goes: Classic Eddie song. In a good way

7 7 a clock: Good song, but liked it better when the album was released than today. Today it feels like it lacks some muscles.

8 Superblood wolfmoon: Still would not mind to hear this live again, but not a PJ classic.

9 Take the long way: Decent rock song.

10 Alright: Believe they could have used a litte more time to have rearranged this song. But decent slow song.

11: Never destination: Lightening bolt sound. And from the weaker parts of LB.

12: Buckle up: By far, the worst song of the record.

Post edited by HK103094 on
    2000 Oslo
    2007 Venezia
    2010 London
    2012 Oslo
    2014 Milano
    2018 Milano
    2018 Krakow
    2019 Barolo (Ed)
    2022 Berlin
    2022 Frankfurt
    2022 Krakow

• Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,139
    Love this record top to bottom.
  • Options
    smagnus1smagnus1 Atlanta Posts: 30
    First PJ album I bought since Vitalogy and do not regret it. Lost the band to make the family and glad this is the one to bring me back to them. Love the loose “jangly” feel of Who Ever Said. But it was DOTC that first hooked me. Something about the bass riff. Buckle up has grown and grown and grown becoming one of my favs off the album. 
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 500
    rw160510 said:
    It’s my favourite album since Binaural and is in rotation far more than Riot Act through Lightning Bolt for me. 

I like that it’s wordy in places even if couple of the lyrics come off a bit clumsy on occasion. “Trump hadn’t…” would have worked better as “That wasn’t..,” for me. It would be more universal but I understand and agree with the sentiment of the lyric.

I was “fortunate” enough to have to go to the lab every day almost like normal during the pandemic, as much as it could be anyway, so I don’t have the same pandemic vibes associated with it that a lot of people seem to be describing. The album was well and truly blasted in the lab for the limited colleagues and myself who were on site. I know that helped as it was “normal” even though it was anything but.

I really like Buckle Up. 
    Said the same thing at the time about putting Trump directly in the lyrics even though I agreed with the sentiment.  Had a theater class in college and we had to read a poem in class.  I asked if we could use a song instead of a poem and he agreed but only if the lyrics were timeless.  I read GTF and he loved it, but I always remembered that comment about making sure that the lyrics were timeless.