Options

Matt drumming on Foo Fighters tour?

Comments

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,532
    edited March 2023
    Foo's catalog in the last 2 decades doesn't appeal to me as much as the earlier stuff which is fine; as a live show... 1 show every few years is more than enough for me. 

Grohl has built up so much good will with me over the years that it would take 1 hell of a heel turn for me to not love the guy, but Foo Fighters doesn't come close to cracking my list of favorite bands. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    Zod said:
    I like some Foos songs but (my opinion) the SG catalog is far superior. The Badmotorfinger/Superunknown/Down on the Upside run was amazing.

Plus they won two grammys
    For my money there's no debate between the two.

SG >>> Foo.
    same....I hate to diss the Foos but I saw them live twice about 9 months apart and it was the same fucking show even down to the jokes they told between songs.

I mean that's more the normal (Same sets every night).  Bands that do something different every night is fairly rare :(   It's why when I go to see many bands I'm ok dipping in and out every couple of tours, opposed to a few times on a single tour.
    Yeah I totally get and understand that. It's just the jokes that really got me. It was like a high school musical. Everyone has the same bit every night.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,472
    I like some Foos songs but (my opinion) the SG catalog is far superior. The Badmotorfinger/Superunknown/Down on the Upside run was amazing.

Foos have like 15. Hard to believe they have more than our guys and SG combined. Probably more than the big 4
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,029
    trees said:
    mace1229 said:
    verceman said:
    Was just thinking how insane it would be to be the drummer for the Foo Fighters and it is only the third best band you played for.
    Depends on how you define or measure "best." I bet more people out there would consider FF better than SG. I would disagree, but I think we're in the minority on that.
    But yes, I see your point. Fortunate to be a part of so many great bands, regardless of the order.
    SoundGarden was a legend of a band  
    Absolutely. But FF was more commercially succesful, and more people could name more FF songs than SG. I prefer SG to FF and realize they are a legend of a band. But more people would probably say that about FF. So it just depends how you define or measure best.
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,152
    I agree with all who say they're good guys, and that their early stuff is superior, AND that most bands keep the same setlists rolling for a whole tour. I just feel like their sets could vary more from tour to tour. Also, crowd interactions shouldn't be scripted. You can be a showman without insulting the audience's intelligence. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    3days said:
    I agree with all who say they're good guys, and that their early stuff is superior, AND that most bands keep the same setlists rolling for a whole tour. I just feel like their sets could vary more from tour to tour. Also, crowd interactions shouldn't be scripted. You can be a showman without insulting the audience's intelligence. 
    yep....and I wasn't really shocked at the setlist being mostly the same, it probably had a few differences, it was just the banter. I couldn't believe it. How does a band follow a script every night? Fuck that.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Matt's post reminded me of anohter post on FB I saw. someone posted a picture of Pj from around 92 and asked who the guy in the background was. Some said , Dave A or Krusen, some said Chamberlin. Some had really random suggestions. But there were several who were just adamant it was not Dave A. Dave A himself joined the thread and commented several times that it was in, and these people would argue with Dave saying its not Dave A. It was pretty funny.
  • Options
    theebradnesstheebradness Quincy, IL originally from Weymouth, MA Posts: 278
    I'm thinking the Foos drummer will be announced this week. Looks like Matt could still be in the running, at least for some touring gigs.
    Lollapalooza 1992 Mansfield MA
    STL 2014
    Wrigley Aug 20th 2016
    St Louis 2022

I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I'm thinking the Foos drummer will be announced this week. Looks like Matt could still be in the running, at least for some touring gigs.
    You think he was bullshitting when he shot down the rumor?
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    yeah, I don't think Matt is playing with them.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,163
    I wouldn't say he definitively shot it down. He just said he did not join the Foo Fighters. Don't have to be an official member to sit in for a couple shows. ;)
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,412
    I wouldn't say he definitively shot it down. He just said he did not join the Foo Fighters. Don't have to be an official member to sit in for a couple shows. ;)
    I think you’re correct.  Husband heard he may be doing some festivals.  
  • Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 351
    Well, Maybe Matt likes to tour and we know the Foo Fighters like to tour. None of them are getting younger so do it while they can.

Pearl jam as a band doesn't seem to like to tour as much. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I’m hard pressed to think they’ll ask whomever is drumming with them for the year to sit out the occasional show so MC can jump in, but I have no insight so your guess is as good as mine. 
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 766

SG >>> Foo.
    Nobody is really taking the other side of this debate, are they? The Foo Fighters are cool (enough) because Dave was in Nirvana and they have managed to continue grunge a few more decades and Dave is the nicest guy in the world. But nothing they have done is anywhere close to Superunknown.
  • Options
    aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,163
    I’m hard pressed to think they’ll ask whomever is drumming with them for the year to sit out the occasional show so MC can jump in, but I have no insight so your guess is as good as mine. 
    Yeah, I have no insight either. I'm just saying, it's not completely impossible.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. I honestly thought I'd never go to another FF show again when Taylor died. Matt sitting in for the first few would certainly help make the transition easier.
  • Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 351
    kaw753 said:

SG >>> Foo.
    Nobody is really taking the other side of this debate, are they? The Foo Fighters are cool (enough) because Dave was in Nirvana and they have managed to continue grunge a few more decades and Dave is the nicest guy in the world. But nothing they have done is anywhere close to Superunknown.
    The only time I saw the Foos live was back in the late nineties when they opened for the RHCP. The energy they put into that set was second to none that I've seen. The Peppers set seemed boring after that. I never liked the Foos until then. Shame on me for not seeing them live since. God knows they make it easy to do so with the variety of locations they play and free access to presale codes.

Dave seems like a normal, everyday person from afar.  

• Options
    smile6680 said:
    kaw753 said:

SG >>> Foo.
    The only time I saw the Foos live was back in the late nineties when they opened for the RHCP. The energy they put into that set was second to none that I've seen. The Peppers set seemed boring after that. I never liked the Foos until then. Shame on me for not seeing them live since. God knows they make it easy to do so with the variety of locations they play and free access to presale codes.

I couldn’t believe how much the Foo blew RHCP out of the water when they played Umass in 2000. Peppers would have been embarrassed if they weren’t so far up their own asses. 
  • Options
    EMiznerEMizner Posts: 94
    smile6680 said:
    kaw753 said:

SG >>> Foo.

I couldn’t believe how much the Foo blew RHCP out of the water when they played Umass in 2000. Peppers would have been embarrassed if they weren’t so far up their own asses. 
    I also saw that RHCP tour in 2000 with Foo Fighters and Muse opening for them. The day before the show the Foos did an acoustic set at a Best Buy here. Went to the RHCP show specifically for the Foos and Muse. I agree RHCP was boring after seeing the other two. Just saw RHCP last week though and they were incredible this time. Getting better with age apparently
    Pearl Jam
    Minneapolis, MN - June 30, 1998
    St. Paul, MN - June 16, 2003
    PJ20 - Alpine Valley - East Troy, WI - September 3, 2011
    PJ20 - Alpine Valley - East Troy, WI - September 4, 2011
    St. Paul, MN - August 31, 2023
    St. Paul, MN - September 2, 2023
    Austin, TX - September 18, 2023
    Austin, TX - September 19, 2023
    Las Vegas, NV - May 16, 2024
    Las Vegas, NV - May 18, 2024

Eddie Vedder
    Las Vegas, NV - October 7, 2022
    Innings Festival - Tempe, AZ - February 26, 2023
    Ohana Festival - Dana Point, CA - September 30, 2023
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 766
    EMizner said:
    smile6680 said:
    kaw753 said:

SG >>> Foo.

I also saw that RHCP tour in 2000 with Foo Fighters and Muse opening for them. The day before the show the Foos did an acoustic set at a Best Buy here. Went to the RHCP show specifically for the Foos and Muse. I agree RHCP was boring after seeing the other two. Just saw RHCP last week though and they were incredible this time. Getting better with age apparently
    Did you leave that show thinking all 3 bands would be playing football stadium tours 23 years later?

• Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 888
    EMizner said:
    smile6680 said:
    kaw753 said:

SG >>> Foo.

I don’t think it’s better with age. I think it really depends on when and where you catch them on their tour cycle. They run themselves into the ground and if you catch them in a deep run of shows you can tell they just get tired because they put a lot into their shows. Seems like they learned to only a handful of shows at a time then take a month or two off 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    EMizner said:
    smile6680 said:
    kaw753 said:

SG >>> Foo.

I also think you have to be clever at choosing your opener.   I also saw the FF/RHCP tour, and the FF style of music (at least the albums to that point) rocked so much harder than RHCPS genre of Funk/Rock music.    Friend of mine couldn't make that show and caught a later date in Seattle which was STP/RHCP.

You can't choose an opener that outrocks you :)    On the flip side a few months later I saw RHCP open for PJ in Seattle for two nights, and they were amazing in their 60 minute opener slot.

I suppose 3 out of 4 isn't bad (we had also driven down to LA for the new years even 1999 shows were 311 opened for RHCP and that show was pretty good too).    I haven't seen RHCP since those PJ shows so it's been a while.  A stadium show doesn't really draw me in to go.
  • Options
    I'm stunned by people's perspectives on the FF/RHCP tour. I went mainly for the Foos. RHCP were more of a rap/rock curiosity to me at the time.

Madison, WI 2000. I thought FF were not great. They sounded like they were struggling, out of whack, and bored. Loud? Sure. Dave was sick, which might explain the whole thing. 20ish years later, an acquaintance of mine revealed that he had attended the same show. His first recollection was that FF "sucked" that night. Perhaps that show was just a bad night for them. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    3days said:
    I'm stunned by people's perspectives on the FF/RHCP tour. I went mainly for the Foos. RHCP were more of a rap/rock curiosity to me at the time.

Madison, WI 2000. I thought FF were not great. They sounded like they were struggling, out of whack, and bored. Loud? Sure. Dave was sick, which might explain the whole thing. 20ish years later, an acquaintance of mine revealed that he had attended the same show. His first recollection was that FF "sucked" that night. Perhaps that show was just a bad night for them. 
    Why are you stunned? If Grohl was sick that would seem to explain why they had a bad night. 

I can guarantee you, that band was anything but bored when they played Umass.

They tore the roof off the place and the connection between Grohl & Hawkins was on full display; every time DG pulled away from the mic he was up on Hawkins' drum riser head banging and shredding. The energy was off the charts. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    3days said:

Why are you stunned? If Grohl was sick that would seem to explain why they had a bad night. 

They tore the roof off the place and the connection between Grohl & Hawkins was on full display; every time DG pulled away from the mic he was up on Hawkins' drum riser head banging and shredding. The energy was off the charts. 

It was the same in Vancouver.  FF tore the roof down, and then RHCP had to follow.   Dave Grohl took his guitar (must of been hooked up wirelessly) on a tour of the arena.  The whole crowd was on fire.    RHCP struggled to follow it up.

Kind of like that time I saw Hole open for Marilyn Manson.   It was mostly a grunge/Hole crowed that showed up for the show.   The Hole set was really good, but Marilyn Manson completely struggled to win over the crowd.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    3days said:

It was the same in Vancouver.  FF tore the roof down, and then RHCP had to follow.   Dave Grohl took his guitar (must of been hooked up wirelessly) on a tour of the arena.  The whole crowd was on fire.    RHCP struggled to follow it up.

Kind of like that time I saw Hole open for Marilyn Manson.   It was mostly a grunge/Hole crowed that showed up for the show.   The Hole set was really good, but Marilyn Manson completely struggled to win over the crowd.
    Yup

https://www.mtv.com/news/9fg641/foo-fighters-tough-act-to-follow-for-chili-peppers 

"MADISON, Wis. — Funk-rockers the Red Hot Chili Peppers were ragged but energetic Saturday, during the second show of their 54-date North American tour, while openers Foo Fighters offered a tight, powerful hour of melodic rock for nearly 10,000 fans.

If the mosh pit was any indication, the Chili Peppers might want to think about trading spots with the Foo Fighters. The crowd on the floor of the sold-out Dane County Expo Center ebbed and flowed in front of the stage for the duration of Foo Fighters' set, but it took the Chili Peppers a few songs and some crowd-baiting to get a mosh pit of their own going..." 

• Options
    3days said:

Because it's like the Twilight Zone. I'm living in a different dimension from most other people.

Perhaps the folly is in my perception. Especially at the time, I had really high expectations of the Foos. The memory I have was the crowd gamely singing and pogoing to a band that was just going through the motions. They didn't even sound good to me. I wonder if my expectations were just too high. Although it gets weirder... The person I attended the show with thought FF were "just okay". 20 years later, someone else (who attends FF concerts now) recalled the Foos were bad that night. BUT now someone has found an article suggesting that FF were the better act that night... Beats me.

My memory of RHCP was also different. The audience exploded and bounced with the opening 1-2 punch of "Around the World" and "Give It Away". After which, 3 of the Chilis sprinted off stage, leaving only John. He lead a playfully weird, yet joyful seismic singalong of Elton John's "Your Song". Immediately afterward, the other Chilis ran back out and started rocking again.... and the audience went bananas. Lots of other fun moments that night, including the rabid crowd participation during "Sir Psycho Sexy" and a ferocious cover of "Search and Destroy". But none of my fun memories involve Dave and co. 

As far as Dave being sick - Sure, I'm willing to believe it could've stifled the performance. But it seems odd that his voice or performance would've only been affected that one night.

I didn't attend the Massachusetts show, so I can't speak to that one. Madison may have had more moshing during the Foos (I honestly don't recall), but I'm not sure that early mosh pit activity is necessarily the best indicator of overall performance, or even crowd enthusiasm.
  • Options
    I guess that is true. Didn't Matt wait until after the 98 tour to join Pearl Jam? I think I remember PJ even announcing he wasn't a member, just the tour drummer at that point.
    But if you're right, I don't see it being more than a few shows or festivals. 
  • Options
    3days said:
    3days said:

Because it's like the Twilight Zone. I'm living in a different dimension from most other people.

Perhaps the folly is in my perception. Especially at the time, I had really high expectations of the Foos. The memory I have was the crowd gamely singing and pogoing to a band that was just going through the motions. They didn't even sound good to me. I wonder if my expectations were just too high. Although it gets weirder... The person I attended the show with thought FF were "just okay". 20 years later, someone else (who attends FF concerts now) recalled the Foos were bad that night. BUT now someone has found an article suggesting that FF were the better act that night... Beats me.

My memory of RHCP was also different. The audience exploded and bounced with the opening 1-2 punch of "Around the World" and "Give It Away". After which, 3 of the Chilis sprinted off stage, leaving only John. He lead a playfully weird, yet joyful seismic singalong of Elton John's "Your Song". Immediately afterward, the other Chilis ran back out and started rocking again.... and the audience went bananas. Lots of other fun moments that night, including the rabid crowd participation during "Sir Psycho Sexy" and a ferocious cover of "Search and Destroy". But none of my fun memories involve Dave and co. 

As far as Dave being sick - Sure, I'm willing to believe it could've stifled the performance. But it seems odd that his voice or performance would've only been affected that one night.

I didn't attend the Massachusetts show, so I can't speak to that one. Madison may have had more moshing during the Foos (I honestly don't recall), but I'm not sure that early mosh pit activity is necessarily the best indicator of overall performance, or even crowd enthusiasm.

Likewise, I can only speak of the UMASS show & none others. That was me that posted the Madison article, and it wasn't mean as a gotcha (I think they played Madison a couple times that year, I legit thought that article might have been from the other show based on your review). 

We base our opinions on our own experiences, I get it. I had high expectations for both bands. Foo exceeded those expectations by a wide margin, Chili's fell way short by a similar margin. Foo's energy was off the charts... meanwhile I remember Flea putting on a sweater & complaining about how cold it was in the arena & Anthony Kiedis referring to Zeppelin as 'Top 40 shit". The performances were complete polar opposites. 

& who's to say DG's illness didn't impact him for more than that one show? They could have had a bad run of shows until he recovered. 

Appreciate your perspective regardless. 
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,351
    Zod said:
    3days said:

Yup

https://www.mtv.com/news/9fg641/foo-fighters-tough-act-to-follow-for-chili-peppers 

"MADISON, Wis. — Funk-rockers the Red Hot Chili Peppers were ragged but energetic Saturday, during the second show of their 54-date North American tour, while openers Foo Fighters offered a tight, powerful hour of melodic rock for nearly 10,000 fans.

If the mosh pit was any indication, the Chili Peppers might want to think about trading spots with the Foo Fighters. The crowd on the floor of the sold-out Dane County Expo Center ebbed and flowed in front of the stage for the duration of Foo Fighters' set, but it took the Chili Peppers a few songs and some crowd-baiting to get a mosh pit of their own going..." 

I attended a RHCP show back in the day at the Dane county coliseum but I totally don't remember the foo opening for them!  I know it was the Californication tour but don't remember the year.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09