Options

Matt drumming on Foo Fighters tour?

Comments

• Options
    Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,105
    Jimmy Chamberlin is the best rock drummer since Bonham and nobody can change my mind. He’s absolutely unbelievable. 
  • Options
    Its_ImbasIts_Imbas Posts: 15
    Take it from a drummer and music fan... As far as skills go... Josh Freese is arguably one of the best alternative rock drummers in the world. Could be the most underrated. The only drummer to come close to the level of skill and musicianship in this musical genre is Matt Cameron. IMO Josh Freese makes a ton of sense to play with the Foos. All others mentioned either don't have the skills or like Matt are taken. 

Here are my personal top 11 most skilled modern, alternative, and progressive rock drummers in the past 30 years and in no particular order:

Matt Cameron
    Josh Freese
    Jimmy Chamberlin
    Danny Carey
    Dominic Howard
    Dave Grohl 
    Jon Theodore
    Dave Abruzzese
    Chad Smith
    Travis Barker
    Taylor Hawkins

He will never make lists but the drummer for Primus, Tim Alexander, is a fantastic drummer
    Take it from a drummer and music fan... As far as skills go... Josh Freese is arguably one of the best alternative rock drummers in the world. Could be the most underrated. The only drummer to come close to the level of skill and musicianship in this musical genre is Matt Cameron. IMO Josh Freese makes a ton of sense to play with the Foos. All others mentioned either don't have the skills or like Matt are taken. 

Here are my personal top 11 most skilled modern, alternative, and progressive rock drummers in the past 30 years and in no particular order:

Matt Cameron
    Josh Freese
    Jimmy Chamberlin
    Danny Carey
    Dominic Howard
    Dave Grohl 
    Jon Theodore
    Dave Abruzzese
    Chad Smith
    Travis Barker
    Taylor Hawkins

He will never make lists but the drummer for Primus, Tim Alexander, is a fantastic drummer
    tylermoore said: Tim “Herb” Alexander definitely definitely deserves a mention here he’s an absolute beast. Love his drumming!

Matt Cameron
    Josh Freese
    Jimmy Chamberlin
    Danny Carey
    Dominic Howard
    Dave Grohl 
    Jon Theodore
    Dave Abruzzese
    Chad Smith
    Travis Barker
    Taylor Hawkins

• Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 810
    Brandon Pertzborn just got named as the new Offspring drummer. Frees up Josh even more.

For those interested in alternative rock drum wankery Gavin Harrison from Porcupine Tree is goddamn ridiculous and should be on anyone's list.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    KM73780KM73780 Posts: 1,035
    Jimmy Chamberlin is the best rock drummer since Bonham and nobody can change my mind. He’s absolutely unbelievable. 
    Chamberlain is so good that he looks positively bored out of his mind while playing incredible drum parts 
  • Options
    logan5ivelogan5ive Dallas, TX Posts: 453
    Looks like we'll finally see who's drumming this Sunday...

FREE GLOBAL STREAMING EVENT

SUNDAY, MAY 21
    8PM BST | 3PM EST | 12PM PST

DEBUT PERFORMANCES OF NEW SONGS, BEHIND-THE-SCENES FOOTAGE & A FEW SURPRISES STRAIGHT FROM 606

WATCH LIVE AND ON-DEMAND AT FOOFIGHTERS.VEEPS.COM
    1993 - Dallas
    1995 - Red Rocks I & II | Austin
    1998 - St Louis | Kansas City | Dallas | Raleigh | Atlanta | Birmingham | Greenville | Knoxville | Virginia Beach
    2000 - New Orleans | Memphis | Nashville | Noblesville | Cincinnati | Columbus | Houston I & II | Dallas | Las Vegas | LA | San Diego | San Bernardino | Sacramento | San Francisco
    2003 - OKC | San Antonio | Houston | Dallas | Little Rock | Camden I & II | MSG I & II
    2004 - Boston I & II | St Louis
    2005 - Gorge | Vancouver | Kitchener | London | Hamilton
    2006 - Las Vegas | Gorge I & II | Honolulu
    2008 - MSG I & II
    2009 - Seattle I & II | Vancouver | Portland | ACL | Philly I-IV
    2010 - Kansas City | St Louis
    2011 - PJ20 I & II
    2013 - Wrigley | Dallas | OKC
    2014 - ACL I | Tulsa | Moline | St Paul | Milwaukee | Denver
    2022 - OKC
    2023 - FW I & II | Austin I & II
    2024* - Seattle I & II
    [80*]
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,715
    Can’t wait for this. Thanks for posting. 
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,158
    I'm on Daylight Time, so I don't know when I'm supposed to tune in.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Naked JohnNaked John Posts: 276
    Did you ever pick up The Jimmy Chamberlin Complex records “Life Begins Again” and “The Parable”?
  • Options
    Naked JohnNaked John Posts: 276

Am I correct in my recollection that the excessive drinking was one of the reasons they took a break in '02 when Dave did QOTSA? 

Maybe I imagined it, but I seem to recall hearing Dave say in an interview about those days that one shot before taking the stage became several shots and then the whole bottle.

I could be way off though. 
    That was true.it was a bottle a night.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,853
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 585
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,317
    It's Matt disguised as Josh Freese
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    JABKJABK Finland Posts: 299
    Right choice...Josh is one of the best rock drummers out there and a punk rocker by heart.
    Being a drummer myself, now I'll have two of my top 3 drummers in the same band ✌️
  • Options
    Ha. My number one was grooming poodles.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    JT167846 said:
    I love how all 3 visitors had their drumsticks in hand. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,715
    JT167846 said:
    I love how all 3 visitors had their drumsticks in hand. 
    It was the most Foo Fighter way to announce Josh. Well done and an incredible performance. 
  • Options
    JT167846 said:
    I didn't realise it at first but my Holy Trinity of drummers were in the same room for a minute there: Dave, Danny and Josh!
  • Options
    I see pics of my favourite drummers hanging out together and it warms my heart. Great to see there is a community vibe. I'm sure Taylor was such a big part of it.

My holy trinity is Danny, Jimmy Chamberlin and Gavin Harrison-all of whom I'm sure would have done something similar had Dave asked them.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    Also happy to see Tommy sporting a Vandals shirt ✌️
  • Options
    JABK said:
    Also happy to see Tommy sporting a Vandals shirt ✌️
    All three drummers had hints it was Josh. He owns a white Mercedes that was blocking Chad in, he loves PF Changs which Tommy brought in (plus the Vandals shirt obviously) and the poodles Danny had are his. I'm sure the guys who know him had a good laugh. Was expecting it to be him-the PF Changs reference gave it away for me. 

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    edited May 2023
    Should have been Tommy Lee, Chad Smith and Peter Criss in makeup (or a de-aged Dave Grohl Nirvana era for a surrealist touch). Nothing against Danny Carey, but he isn't recognizable. Did he even work on Terminator 2?

And nothing against Josh Freese (his NIN drumming is mjaaau), but building something up using SUPER FAMOUS Tommy Lee and Chad Smith and then landing on a reveal  of "who's this guy?". Weird build up for the "I LOVE FOO FIGHTERS AND THEIR FUNLOVING MTV VIDEOS AND CHAD SMITH AND WILL FERRELL LOOKS LIKE THE SAME PERSON" crowd .

(but I have also not seen the Foo Fighters horrorcomedymovie... so maybe my thoughts on comedy and the Foo's diverged post the Dave Grohl Jack Black motel video)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Adam worked on T2. So guess Danny's not recognisable...

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    JT167846 said:
    Adam worked on T2. So guess Danny's not recognisable...
    DAMN STRAIGHT

SHES NOT MY MOTHER TODD
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

They could have had Dave A, I'm sure he's free. 
  • Options
    Should have been Tommy Lee, Chad Smith and Peter Criss in makeup (or a de-aged Dave Grohl Nirvana era for a surrealist touch). Nothing against Danny Carey, but he isn't recognizable. Did he even work on Terminator 2?

And nothing against Josh Freese (his NIN drumming is mjaaau), but building something up using SUPER FAMOUS Tommy Lee and Chad Smith and then landing on a reveal  of "who's this guy?". Weird build up for the "I LOVE FOO FIGHTERS AND THEIR FUNLOVING MTV VIDEOS AND CHAD SMITH AND WILL FERRELL LOOKS LIKE THE SAME PERSON" crowd .

(but I have also not seen the Foo Fighters horrorcomedymovie... so maybe my thoughts on comedy and the Foo's diverged post the Dave Grohl Jack Black motel video)
    That's why he had on a name tag. :)
  • Options
    Oh, Studio 666 is incredible and I'm not even a horror movie fan.
  • Options
    ZoSoTim said:

That's why he had on a name tag. :)
    He also stood out at both Hawkins tributes... the guy's far from an unknown.
  • Options
    Ringo Starr is another one that would have been fun. 

MORE DRUMMER SKITS