Harry Styles, PJ MSG

1235»

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    The balloon culture that surrounds Phish would not improve my opinion of Midtown. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    They should try. They might need to put themselves out there a little more for the casual fan. But you will get tourists coming to the shows. 
    pjl44 said:
    I think they should try. Test it out at the TD Garden first.
    I took my 13yr old daughter to a Harry Styles MSG show, then saw PJ there 2 weeks later. As much as I love PJ and have loved them for 29 yrs, there is no way they'd sell out a 15 night residency at MSG. As @RiotZact said, Harry Styles played pretty much the exact same show every night for 15 nights (with few days off), with only changes in outfits & maybe just the tiniest bit of unpredictability in the banter. And this was only 1 of 3 US cities he did it in, and all following the release of a commercially-uber-successful album.  I love Gigaton but what's the highest the album or any 1 single went in the charts? How high did Styles album & singles so far get?  Be clear, I am not a Styles fan (though I admit he's a very good performer). I'd take PJ every time if given a choice between them & HS.  But demand & live music "style" dictates feasibility all the way.  

Also PJ is not a "play the same set every night" band, and playing 15 different sets and really giving it your all for 15 nights in same city would be brutal on the band & crew in a different way than HS & his band & crew. Also MSG seats 20,000 people, so Styles sold out 300,000 tix for ONE setlist, ONE show, 90 min each show at most & average cost of tix about $400 (and YES at least my show was completely sold out, no noticeable empty seats at all).

And as much s**t as PJ gets for the towns, states & COUNTRIES they do NOT play, the hate from fans for playing 15 shows in any one place would be immense.  And why would they do that anyway?  What would be in it for them when they could do 15 shows in different cities and give more fans a chance since NOT EVERYONE has the money & time off & ability to travel to NYC or any one city for a show.  Never mind for 15.
    People know more Pearl Jam songs than Phish songs. And Phish did 13 shows with no repeats. Pearl Jam has fans that will go to multiple like Phish fans. You have the casual fan. The tourists. Harry has a few hits and he has the One Direction fans plus his cougar fan base.  Most people don't know that Pearl Jam changes setlists. Also some artists/bands block the back of the stage seats and those shows are considered sellouts.  Pearl Jam packed the whole arena
    A couple of relevant questions:

1) What year did Phish do 13 nights? Was every night sold out?

2) What evidence is there Phish would sell out 13 nights at MSG in 2022?

3) We all know that whether an album or songs is great or not has little to do with the charts. But the Billboard charts are still absolutely an indicator of sales and demand, so for a question like this there is some relevance. Gigaton did debut at #1 on the Billboard Rock chart, and got to #2 on the Billboard overall album charts and was on that chart for 8 weeks.  You said "Harry has a few hits"... But not only has Harry's House his album debuted at #1 in US, Styles broke records buy having his album & his single "As It Was" both debut at #1 simutaneously in ALL of these countries: US, UK, Canada, Germany, Australia, Netherlands, Italy, Ireland, New Zealand, Switzerland, and Belgium. AND every single one of the 13 songs on that album charted, which is highly unusual.  The single is still #1 now, so #1 for 14 weeks straight.

Say all that to say, again, I've been a PJ fan for 29 yrs, think they're better than almost any other artist out there before and now, and would always choose PJ anything over Styles. But gotta ask, given that it's pretty obvious how/why Styles was able to sell out 15 nights at MSG and almost as many in LA and Chicago each I think, what do you base your certainty PJ could sell out 15 nights at MSG on other than more people knowing PJ songs than Phish songs? 

Btw everything I just said about charts I just looked up. I don't follow them. Wild to see that Ozzy Ozborne has #1 album right now, and Kate Bush is still in top 10 singles with Runnin' Up That Hill thanks to Stranger Things!
    Phish plays 8 songs during a single concert and just jams. Of course they didn’t repeat a song for 13 shows. 
    237 unique songs during the 13 shows...

Pearl Jam just did 100 unique songs in 11 shows this September in comparison. 

It is not even close really. 

• JimmyV said:
    The balloon culture that surrounds Phish would not improve my opinion of Midtown. 
    On Earth day this year, they littered the ground with those damn things.

A bunch of 40 and 50YO's huffing nitrous... 
  • JimmyV said:
    Nitrous Mafia definitely in full effect on tour with them.  Very captive audience for that kind of thing.  Dozens of nitrous tanks outside their shows at the Mann in Philly this summer.  Even when Trey Anastasio played Carnegie Hall in 2019 dozens of "vendors" right outside in plain site in Midtown.
    TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22, MSG I,II '24, Philly I,II '24
  • JP218404JP218404 Posts: 1,402
    kosteva2 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Nitrous Mafia definitely in full effect on tour with them.  Very captive audience for that kind of thing.  Dozens of nitrous tanks outside their shows at the Mann in Philly this summer.  Even when Trey Anastasio played Carnegie Hall in 2019 dozens of "vendors" right outside in plain site in Midtown.
    Citi field for dead and company the mafia is out in full force using mopeds for delivery service 
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • kosteva2 said:
    JimmyV said:
    JP218404 said:
    kosteva2 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Citi field for dead and company the mafia is out in full force using mopeds for delivery service 
    So I hear people calling it "the mafia" but is it an actual squad setting up and selling or random people?  At Jones Beach it looked like random people not connected.  Those people make bank though.
    kosteva2 said:
    JimmyV said:
    JP218404 said:
    kosteva2 said:
    JimmyV said:
    So I hear people calling it "the mafia" but is it an actual squad setting up and selling or random people?  At Jones Beach it looked like random people not connected.  Those people make bank though.
    All connected. The mopeds going to different guys for new balloons to drive around the lot. Unless ya get it out of a van from a hippie , it’s a squad 
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    JP218404 said:
    kosteva2 said:
    JimmyV said:
    I didn't see as much of it at Gillette for Dead & Co., but I'm sure it was there. For a solo Trey show earlier this year it was everywhere. We stepped over multiple people in line on the way in. Not my scene. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • AlaGAlaG Posts: 976
    kosteva2 said:
    JimmyV said:
    JP218404 said:
    kosteva2 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Actual group of people that will use violent force to maintain their monopoly on the sale of nitrous at shows. Village Voice did a good article about it a couple years back.

https://www.villagevoice.com/2021/07/22/inside-the-nitrous-mafia-an-east-coast-hippie-crack-ring/
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I had no idea nitrous was still a thing, thought it died in the 90s. Doesn't continued use kill some crazy amount of brain cells over not too long a time, in a pretty noticeable way?  
    JH6056 said:
    I had no idea nitrous was still a thing, thought it died in the 90s. Doesn't continued use kill some crazy amount of brain cells over not too long a time, in a pretty noticeable way?  
    No it’s organic now 😂😂😂. I kid I kid 
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited September 2022
    JP218404 said:
    JH6056 said:
    No it’s organic now 😂😂😂. I kid I kid 
    I think a giant donut-shaped balloon filled with raspberry jam & nitrous is what I'll be selling at the next shows. Just let those moped jamband mafia-wannabe types try to stop me...
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,767
    Technically sold out doesn't have to be all 20-21k seats. Artists have played to 15,000 because of the stage setup or whatever and it's considered a sold out show
    I miss igotid88
  • JimmyV said:

ICE COLD FATTIES HERE!!!
  • AlaG said:
    kosteva2 said:
    JimmyV said:
    JP218404 said:
    kosteva2 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Actual group of people that will use violent force to maintain their monopoly on the sale of nitrous at shows. Village Voice did a good article about it a couple years back.

https://www.villagevoice.com/2021/07/22/inside-the-nitrous-mafia-an-east-coast-hippie-crack-ring/
    My friend and I did the internet deep dive on the Nitrous Mafia after the Phish shows this summer and came across this article too.  
    Pretty much couple of cartels that follow these jam bands along their Northeast tours selling in the parking lots.
    Philly has pretty big nitrous cartel.  Will see it at Eagles games as well.  Honestly was surprised didn't see a single vendor at Camden.
    TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22, MSG I,II '24, Philly I,II '24
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,933
    JimmyV said:

ICE COLD FATTIES HERE!!!
    Must be related to the ice cold water guy at Wrigley.  😂
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• JimmyV said:

ICE COLD FATTIES HERE!!!
    Definitely screws with your head when you see it around at all these shows.

Walking to the Apollo show saw a woman walking down 125th with a fist full of balloons.  Waiting for her to start calling out "ice cold fatties.  1 for $5, 4 for $20."  Then noticed the Party City store half a block away and realized she was probably just prepping for a birthday party.
  • AlaGAlaG Posts: 976
    kosteva2 said:
    AlaG said:
    kosteva2 said:
    JimmyV said:
    JP218404 said:
    kosteva2 said:
    JimmyV said:

My friend and I did the internet deep dive on the Nitrous Mafia after the Phish shows this summer and came across this article too.  
    Pretty much couple of cartels that follow these jam bands along their Northeast tours selling in the parking lots.
    Philly has pretty big nitrous cartel.  Will see it at Eagles games as well.  Honestly was surprised didn't see a single vendor at Camden.
    Went to Bonnaroo with a couple friends in 2012 and my buddy was doing whipits the whole time using shit he had from working at Starbucks.

We’re freshmen in college at the time. Can’t judge him too harshly for it. Anyways…some random sketchy dude spotted him doing whipits in his car, pulled a knife on him, took the CO2 canisters or whatever the hell they are from him, and threatened bad shit would happen to him if he had any more or was selling them. Allegedly. I can’t corroborate this firsthand because I was actually out watching Calexico and Glen Hansard lol.

Didn’t think to report it to festival management because we were kids and also had other shit in the car that wasn’t technically legal for us to have. All the usual stuff one brings to a music festival. My buddy couldn’t sleep the entire rest of the time we were there so I have to imagine he wasn’t full of shit.
  • AlaG said:
    kosteva2 said:
    JimmyV said:
    JP218404 said:
    kosteva2 said:
    JimmyV said:

Great article but old.  All this talk and not one mention of the word "Wook"?!?