Harry Styles, PJ MSG

Comments

• JP218404JP218404 Posts: 1,402
    sgtppr67 said:
    A couple of relevant questions:

1) What year did Phish do 13 nights? Was every night sold out?

2) What evidence is there Phish would sell out 13 nights at MSG in 2022?

2017, not only did they sell it out they didn't repeat a song over the entire run with each nights setlist being themed to the doughnut they gave out at the door. I bet given enough advertisement and media coverage and they could do it again Hippies are crazy
    They 100% can do it again. And don’t forget after the 13 then came back for New Years and did 4 more (which they do every year include this New Years)

Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited September 2022
    sgtppr67 said:

2017, not only did they sell it out they didn't repeat a song over the entire run with each nights setlist being themed to the doughnut they gave out at the door. I bet given enough advertisement and media coverage and they could do it again Hippies are crazy
    I don't even like Phish and I'd go to at least 2 shows just to get the donut and then see what musically happened because of the donut. I absolutley love that idea and posted upthread about how fun PJ taking a similar approach with different mystery guests each night and all could be.  Also referenced the Taylor Hawkins celebrations and how it really takes someone widely loved and respected in music communities to pull off what Grohl has with all those epic classic bands and also newer artists all playing classic music together... PJ's extended circle is a bit different probably but they have SO many talented friends, a different theme and surprise guests each time & also no repeats or maybe a few but a promise to play the ENTIRE PJ catalogue plus covers across all the nights would definitely make it worth it for many people to go to multiple shows.

The donut thing kills me! Anyone know, was it Krispy Kreme (which is in Penn Station below MSG), or Dunkin, or who provided the donuts?   20,000 donuts each night for 13 nights brings a whole new meaning to "TIme to make the donuts..." =)
    Post edited by JH6056 on
    edited September 2022
    JH6056 said:
    sgtppr67 said:

I don't even like Phish and I'd go to at least 2 shows just to get the donut and then see what musically happened because of the donut. I absolutley love that idea and posted upthread about how fun PJ taking a similar approach with different mystery guests each night and all could be.  Also referenced the Taylor Hawkins celebrations and how it really takes someone widely loved and respected in music communities to pull off what Grohl has with all those epic classic bands and also newer artists all playing classic music together... PJ's extended circle is a bit different probably but they have SO many talented friends, a different theme and surprise guests each time & also no repeats or maybe a few but a promise to play the ENTIRE PJ catalogue plus covers across all the nights would definitely make it worth it for many people to go to multiple shows.

The donut thing kills me! Anyone know, was it Krispy Kreme (which is in Penn Station below MSG), or Dunkin, or who provided the donuts?   20,000 donuts each night for 13 nights brings a whole new meaning to "TIme to make the donuts..." =)
    I don’t like phish either. Friend dragged me to one show. Was jam donuts.  Ya can guess what the show was. They were from federal donuts in Philly 
    Post edited by JP218404 on
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,933
    Federal Donuts are legit. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,768
    So for the 2018 stadium tour they played to 352,841 people. A lot came from other states and countries.
    I miss igotid88
    edited September 2022
    igotid88 said:
    So for the 2018 stadium tour they played to 352,841 people. A lot came from other states and countries.
    Yes, but that was 7 shows total, in 4 different cities, with no more than 2 shows in any one city; and with one city on west coast, one mid-country, and one east coast (+ Missoula) so covering at least the northern thirds of US. There was 7 or more days break between each city; and those were the ONLY shows that were happening in the US for 2 years (other than Rock Hall of Fame one-off show).  

So many differences between that and a 15 night stand in NYC (without feather boas or different donut themes every night).
    Post edited by JH6056 on
    on2legs said:
    Federal Donuts are legit. 
    I don't know them, but I'm gonna fix that next time in Philly...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Has pj every played more than four times in a spot?  The only places I can think of is spectrum and la in 09.  Spectrum night one wasn’t sold
    Out and neither were the la shows. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • You can’t compare what Phish does with their sets to what Pearl Jam does. The amount of thought and creativity that goes into the Phish sets is truly unparalleled, particularly with the NYE and Halloween shows (look up some of the stories behind what Trey does…you’ll be amazed). They are at the top of the list when it comes to the uniqueness of their sets. That said, Phish sets are seemingly catered to the hardcore fan only. Before the mob starts throwing stones at me (how dare another band be better at anything than Pearl Jam!) I’d rather see PJ 11 times out of 10 over Phish. I much prefer how Pearl Jam’s sets are 75% a mix and 25% staples…like Springsteen, they do an unbelievable job of catering to both hardcore and casual fans alike.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,768
    edited September 2022
    mcgruff10 said:
    Has pj every played more than four times in a spot?  The only places I can think of is spectrum and la in 09.  Spectrum night one wasn’t sold
    Wasn't sold out because there were empty seats? Sometimes those are still considered sold out. But I think the point is whether they can do 15 shows at MSG. I believe they can sell most if not all of the 20,000 seats. If they sell 18,000 on some that's not nothing. 
    For example Phish's Baker' Dozen show only sold 227,000 tickets
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
    edited September 2022
    You can’t compare what Phish does with their sets to what Pearl Jam does. The amount of thought and creativity that goes into the Phish sets is truly unparalleled, particularly with the NYE and Halloween shows (look up some of the stories behind what Trey does…you’ll be amazed). They are at the top of the list when it comes to the uniqueness of their sets. That said, Phish sets are seemingly catered to the hardcore fan only. Before the mob starts throwing stones at me (how dare another band be better at anything than Pearl Jam!) I’d rather see PJ 11 times out of 10 over Phish. I much prefer how Pearl Jam’s sets are 75% a mix and 25% staples…like Springsteen, they do an unbelievable job of catering to both hardcore and casual fans alike.
    I agree, I think it's so different. Phish caters to the hardcore fan, but just like the hardcore Grateful Dead fans would see EVERY SHOW they could because every show was different, there was evidence from Phish ticket sales that that idea of changing donuts & themes would work in one place for was it 13 nights?  That wasn't some wild gamble. There was a calculated risk based on demand evidence that showed it would work.

I don't know what they do on NYE and Halloween, but I believe you that to Phish fans it's incredible. Like you, I'd much rather see PJ than Phish but to mcgruff10's point, PJ has only played the same venue 3/4 times twice EVER, and it's unclear even all those shows sold out and those were still closer to more "active" touring. Still no real evidence of 15 shows even selling "well" never mind sold out totally (although the original theory was that this would be a guaranteed sell out, which, no, nothing really indicating that is likely at all.
  • JH6056 said:
    You can’t compare what Phish does with their sets to what Pearl Jam does. The amount of thought and creativity that goes into the Phish sets is truly unparalleled, particularly with the NYE and Halloween shows (look up some of the stories behind what Trey does…you’ll be amazed). They are at the top of the list when it comes to the uniqueness of their sets. That said, Phish sets are seemingly catered to the hardcore fan only. Before the mob starts throwing stones at me (how dare another band be better at anything than Pearl Jam!) I’d rather see PJ 11 times out of 10 over Phish. I much prefer how Pearl Jam’s sets are 75% a mix and 25% staples…like Springsteen, they do an unbelievable job of catering to both hardcore and casual fans alike.
    I agree, I think it's so different. Phish caters to the hardcore fan, but just like the hardcore Grateful Dead fans would see EVERY SHOW they could because every show was different, there was evidence from Phish ticket sales that that idea of changing donuts & themes would work in one place for was it 13 nights?  That wasn't some wild gamble. There was a calculated risk based on demand evidence that showed it would work.

I don't know what they do on NYE and Halloween, but I believe you that to Phish fans it's incredible. Like you, I'd much rather see PJ than Phish but to mcgruff10's point, PJ has only played the same venue 3/4 times twice EVER, and it's unclear even all those shows sold out and those were still closer to more "active" touring. Still no real evidence of 15 shows even selling "well" never mind sold out totally (although the original theory was that this would be a guaranteed sell out, which, no, nothing really indicating that is likely at all.
    Yup. Agree with your points above. I’m in the camp that I don’t necessarily think PJ could sell out 15 straight nights at MSG.
    JH6056 said:

Yup. Agree with your points above. I’m in the camp that I don’t necessarily think PJ could sell out 15 straight nights at MSG.
    15 straight nights? Harry Styles is playing 15 shows over a month long period.  Not 15 straight nights.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    igotid88 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Wasn't sold out because there were empty seats? Sometimes those are still considered sold out. But I think the point is whether they can do 15 shows at MSG. I believe they can sell most if not all of the 20,000 seats. If they sell 18,000 on some that's not nothing. 
    For example Phish's Baker' Dozen show only sold 227,000 tickets
    spectrum night 1 upper levels didn't sell, tons of tickets available.  pretty sure they tarped the whole upper section off.  There were also plenty of tickets available for all the la shows.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited September 2022
    on2legs said:
    JH6056 said:

15 straight nights? Harry Styles is playing 15 shows over a month long period.  Not 15 straight nights.  
    He sold out all these shows in like 2 hours.  If the garden wasn’t booked he could have done them all in a row. 

PJ couldn’t do it.  
    Post edited by JP218404 on
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • danofundanofun Posts: 985
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:
    Selling out MSG has to be the easiest arena in the world to sell out.  
    Bands who are selling out arenas all over on their current tours, no one should be surprised they sell out MSG. Most arenas are about the same size, 20,000 people.  So when you say "MSG has to be the easiest arena in the world to sell out", what do you mean? Sure everyone wants to play it, it's literally the most famous arena in the world. But you also usually only get booked there when promoters & bookers believe you have that much demand that it will sell well if not sell out.

To me your comment only makes sense if bands who otherwise are NOT selling out arenas on the rest of their tour, regularly sell out MSG. Do you have examples of that, or what are you basing "easiest arena to sell out" on? 
    I believe he means that the New York area has a lot of people.

I don't think KISS sold out MSG now on the End of the Road tour. Ace joked about it.
    It's true, it does have a lot of people, but I'm a New Yorker and the other side of that coin is that New Yorkers are also spoiled as hell. Many bands make multiple runs through NYC on the same tour, and we also have ridiculous amount of choices for who we see in that NYC is one city just about EVERY band wants to play. Nothing about that makes MSG particularly "easy" to sell out, and since in the greater NYC area we also have whatever the Meadowlands is called now in NJ and Barclay's Center in Brooklyn, there are also 3 immediate area arenas for bands to play.

MSG is only easy to sell out if you're a band in high demand, and if you are, you're likely selling out most other arenas on your tour as well. So still curious what makes MSG "the easiest in the world to sell out" as compared to any others.

MSG PJ is by far the toughest ticket I have ever experienced here in NY, and the band has never come close to matching demand here with shows. The last multi night NYC stop at MSG was 2016, and odds to get TC tix were in the single digits.

To this day I can’t recall ever seeing a “blue dot” on the TM for sale page for a PJ show, nor heard a TM phone operator say “sure we have plenty of PJ tix to choose from, would you like a pair in 107.” Neither has ever happened. 

So before saying it’s not possible, why don’t we wait for the day you can buy an MSG ticket at face without beating the five percent odds on TC? That day will probably never come

Would love to see them try, but better yet, how about a full US tour can be done in about 25 shows, when they are ready, and it’s been 11 years since the NE saw a full run of shows outside of a small handful in 2016. 
    Have to agree. Is there a more difficult MSG ticket to acquire anywhere near face than PJ?
    danofun said:
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:
    Bands who are selling out arenas all over on their current tours, no one should be surprised they sell out MSG. Most arenas are about the same size, 20,000 people.  So when you say "MSG has to be the easiest arena in the world to sell out", what do you mean? Sure everyone wants to play it, it's literally the most famous arena in the world. But you also usually only get booked there when promoters & bookers believe you have that much demand that it will sell well if not sell out.

To me your comment only makes sense if bands who otherwise are NOT selling out arenas on the rest of their tour, regularly sell out MSG. Do you have examples of that, or what are you basing "easiest arena to sell out" on? 

I don't think KISS sold out MSG now on the End of the Road tour. Ace joked about it.
    It's true, it does have a lot of people, but I'm a New Yorker and the other side of that coin is that New Yorkers are also spoiled as hell. Many bands make multiple runs through NYC on the same tour, and we also have ridiculous amount of choices for who we see in that NYC is one city just about EVERY band wants to play. Nothing about that makes MSG particularly "easy" to sell out, and since in the greater NYC area we also have whatever the Meadowlands is called now in NJ and Barclay's Center in Brooklyn, there are also 3 immediate area arenas for bands to play.

MSG is only easy to sell out if you're a band in high demand, and if you are, you're likely selling out most other arenas on your tour as well. So still curious what makes MSG "the easiest in the world to sell out" as compared to any others.

MSG PJ is by far the toughest ticket I have ever experienced here in NY, and the band has never come close to matching demand here with shows. The last multi night NYC stop at MSG was 2016, and odds to get TC tix were in the single digits.

To this day I can’t recall ever seeing a “blue dot” on the TM for sale page for a PJ show, nor heard a TM phone operator say “sure we have plenty of PJ tix to choose from, would you like a pair in 107.” Neither has ever happened. 

So before saying it’s not possible, why don’t we wait for the day you can buy an MSG ticket at face without beating the five percent odds on TC? That day will probably never come

Would love to see them try, but better yet, how about a full US tour can be done in about 25 shows, when they are ready, and it’s been 11 years since the NE saw a full run of shows outside of a small handful in 2016. 
    Have to agree. Is there a more difficult MSG ticket to acquire anywhere near face than PJ?
    Yeah. Harry Styles. I got my wife tix for face $200. Day of show on Stub Hub same section two rows up was going for $1200 a piece 
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
    JP218404 said:
    on2legs said:
    JH6056 said:

He sold out all these shows in like 2 hours.  If the garden wasn’t booked he could have done them all in a row. 

PJ couldn’t do it.  
    But 15 straight nights wasn’t the question.  You sorta came up with that on your own.  

The question was could they sell out 15 shows like Harry Styles which took place over a month.  With the amount of tourists in NYC and the way the fan base travels, it’s definitely doable.  People could travel in and see two or three shows. That’s exactly what PJ fans love to do. 

danofun said:
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:

Agreed.  You’re not getting a face value ticket for PJ at MSG.  

on2legs said:
    JP218404 said:
    on2legs said:
    JH6056 said:

PJ couldn’t do it.  
    But 15 straight nights wasn’t the question.  You sorta came up with that on your own.  

The question was could they sell out 15 shows like Harry Styles which took place over a month.  With the amount of tourists in NYC and the way the fan base travels, it’s definitely doable.  People could travel in and see two or three shows. That’s exactly what PJ fans love to do. 
    I’ve said I don’t think they can do it at all 
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
    JP218404 said:
    on2legs said:
    JP218404 said:
    on2legs said:
    JH6056 said:

PJ couldn’t do it.  

Could be.  

I’d love to see them try!

on2legs said:
    JP218404 said:
    on2legs said:
    JP218404 said:
    on2legs said:
    JH6056 said:

PJ couldn’t do it.  

Could be.  

I’d love to see them try!
    Only way it maybe could happen is they say the 15 shows are the only shows for the year and no tour. 15 Garden shows.  No where else 
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
    edited September 2022
    on2legs said:
    danofun said:
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:

You guys are totally missing JP218404's points:

1. Harry Styles' original price tix were ALL more expensive right out the gate than PJ. "Face value" for Styles in any section you name was absurdly more expensive than PJ tix face value, and many of us had sticker shock at how expensive PJ's tix were. I know about original prices for both shows because I paid face for my PJ ticket (thanks to the person here who helped me out!) and I got "suddenly released Production Hold" tix for Styles just weeks before the show, that were cheaper than similar tix in other sections but still way more than PJ tix for the same section. Don't even think about comparing floor GA tix original prices, which for both shows were waaaaay out of my price range even if I'd been able to get my hands on one.

Also FYI on the "production hold release" tix, I only got the notice they were up because I'd tried to do verified fan for Styles. So suddenly I got a text and a code and when I looked at the tix for only a show I'd said I could go to (they didn't offer you tix for any other shows), the tix I could see with the code weren't even visible at all when I went into TM and looked without the code. And tix I saw for sale on regular TM were all resale tix. So they were able to be that selective, wasn't even like they just put those tix up for anyone who wanted them, they gave fans who'd been shut out the first chance and all the tix disappeared when I looked a couple hours later.

2. Styles sold out 15 damn nights at the Garden in hours. Period. Has ANYONE ever done that before? 

3. On the days of the shows, while PJ tix not only held their values but were still I think cheapest at $400 on StubHub (so definitely more than face), Styles tix were cheapest like $800 and mostly over $1,000. Day of show.  For MSG.  When he was playing 15 nights.

And make fun of me if you like, I'm not a Styles' fan (my kid is), but this thread made me look him up in terms of sales (ticket & album) and if we're going to talk about things that don't seem to have been done before ever, Every. Single. Song. on his current album was in the Billboard top 100 at some point recently. EVERY SONG.  I don't even like a lot of the songs I heard, and PJ blows him away obviously, but it's those stats that make the probability of selling out 15 nights at MSG make sense, or not make sense.

I got shut out of MSG completely for PJ when I tried, both when they originally went onsale and the 2nd time. I also got shut out of Styles when I tried to buy a ticket - shut out of verified fan and if I'm not mistaken, ALL the tix for those 15 nights sold out to verified fans, I don't think there was even a regular public onsale.  So yes, those PJ tix were incredibly hard to get, and I'm not surprised the demand for PJ was like that. It doesn't mean 15 nights would come even close to selling out.

At the end of all this I'm just glad all signs point to 15 nights at MSG not being anything PJ would ever be likely to even WANT to do. Ever.

Post edited by JH6056 on
  • igotid88 said:
    I was at 4 of those so i am a repeat customer but I was out of state for each one.
  • JH6056 said:
    on2legs said:
    danofun said:
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:

1. Harry Styles' original price tix were ALL more expensive right out the gate than PJ. "Face value" for Styles in any section you name was absurdly more expensive than PJ tix face value, and many of us had sticker shock at how expensive PJ's tix were. I know about original prices for both shows because I paid face for my PJ ticket (thanks to the person here who helped me out!) and I got "suddenly released Production Hold" tix for Styles just weeks before the show, that were cheaper than similar tix in other sections but still way more than PJ tix for the same section. Don't even think about comparing floor GA tix original prices, which for both shows were waaaaay out of my price range even if I'd been able to get my hands on one.

2. Styles sold out 15 damn nights at the Garden in hours. Period. Has ANYONE ever done that before? 

3. On the days of the shows, while PJ tix not only held their values but were still I think cheapest at $400 on StubHub (so definitely more than face), Styles tix were cheapest like $800 and mostly over $1,000. Day of show.  For MSG.  When he was playing 15 nights.

And make fun of my if you like, I'm not a Styles' fan (my kid is), but this thread made me look him up in terms of sales (ticket & album) and if we're going to talk about things that don't seem to have been done before ever, Every. Single. Song. on his current album was in the Billboard top 100 at some point recently. EVERY SONG.  I don't even like a lot of the songs I heard, and PJ blows him away obviously, but it's those stats that make the probability of selling out 15 nights at MSG make sense, or not make sense.

I got shut out of MSG completely for PJ when I tried, both when they originally went onsale and the 2nd time. I also got shut out of Styles when I tried to buy a ticket - shut out of verified fan and if I'm not mistaken, ALL the tix for those 15 nights sold out to verified fans, I don't think there was even a regular public onsale.  So yes, those PJ tix were incredibly hard to get, and I'm not surprised the demand for PJ was like that. It doesn't mean 15 nights would come even close to selling out.

At the end of all this I'm just glad all signs point to 15 nights at MSG not being anything PJ would ever be likely to even WANT to do. Ever.
    LCD soundsystem sold out the Garden in minutes and wasn't expecting that.  Why?  Scalping is legal in NY.  The brokers buy up tons of tickets and resell.

LCD said F U to scalpers and did a 12 day run of shows in BK to make up for anyone whom was missing out.

Mr Styles though is the hottest young star out there right now and I expect him to sell out shows like this.  He could do a residency a residency at Citi Field and sell out.  Younger artists have that appeal, they just do.

As for PJ doing a residency at MSG?  It could work sans they don't tour anywhere else.  I could see that happening.
    edited September 2022
    JH6056 said:
    on2legs said:
    danofun said:
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:

And make fun of my if you like, I'm not a Styles' fan (my kid is), but this thread made me look him up in terms of sales (ticket & album) and if we're going to talk about things that don't seem to have been done before ever, Every. Single. Song. on his current album was in the Billboard top 100 at some point recently. EVERY SONG.  I don't even like a lot of the songs I heard, and PJ blows him away obviously, but it's those stats that make the probability of selling out 15 nights at MSG make sense, or not make sense.

LCD soundsystem sold out the Garden in minutes and wasn't expecting that.  Why?  Scalping is legal in NY.  The brokers buy up tons of tickets and resell.

LCD said F U to scalpers and did a 12 day run of shows in BK to make up for anyone whom was missing out.

Mr Styles though is the hottest young star out there right now and I expect him to sell out shows like this.  He could do a residency a residency at Citi Field and sell out.  Younger artists have that appeal, they just do.

As for PJ doing a residency at MSG?  It could work sans they don't tour anywhere else.  I could see that happening.
    Great point about the scalpers. Which is why Styles' selling out 15 shows in minutes is even more remarkable - it was ALL through ONLY verified fan.  Of course scalpers can have multiple emails, phone #s and verified fan accounts too, but it's a lot more work and definitely can't be scammed at the same level as a regular public onsale.  So to sell out all 15 shows in hours only through verified fan is that much more remarkable.  AND you had to pick your shows in advance, so that verified fan code you got was for a specific show, not any of the 15.

Tempo did you go to the BK show of LCD? LCD opened a venue in DC, Anthem with 3 sold out shows (6,500 capacity) and we went to one, it was fantastic!
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,086
    edited September 2022
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:
    on2legs said:
    danofun said:
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:

Great point about the scalpers. Which is why Styles' selling out 15 shows in minutes is even more remarkable - it was ALL through ONLY verified fan.  Of course scalpers can have multiple emails, phone #s and verified fan accounts too, but it's a lot more work and definitely can't be scammed at the same level as a regular public onsale.  So to sell out all 15 shows in hours only through verified fan is that much more remarkable.  AND you had to pick your shows in advance, so that verified fan code you got was for a specific show, not any of the 15.

Tempo did you go to the BK show of LCD? LCD opened a venue in DC, Anthem with 3 sold out shows (6,500 capacity) and we went to one, it was fantastic!
    I went to the MSG show.  Got subbed down at the Garden by the staff, never saw that before.  My GF and I are in the movie as we were quite close on the wing.  No to the BK shows as they ended up becoming a nightmare to get too, lol. Looked for that orange poster for 3 years before I finally got it...

Edit: We went to 2 of the BK shows post retirement, when they came back.  It was at Brooklyn Steel.  I hate that venue.

So with the "dynamic pricing" there are a bunch of tickets that are not verified fan.  Verified fan are the tickets that you and I compete for.  The others go directly to brokers.  That is what happens.  Someone explained it and there was a great article on it.  The scalping and sell out helps create demand which is great for the dynamic pricing or whatever the hell it's called. This is why you saw 5k PJ tickets for sale on TM.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
    Harry Styles is certainly pretty popular right now… I tried 2 or 3 times over the last couple years to get tickets for my daughter before succeeding on this latest tour.  But let’s not write off the old guys just yet. 

Bruce sold 450,000 tickets to his Broadway show over 250+ dates.   Which wasn’t even an actual concert.  All of them sold out.  

Billy Joel has sold out MSG every month since 2014. 

With enough notice for fans to make travel plans I’m confident they could sell out 15 dates over a month.  

“The one constant through all the years has been Pearl Jam. 

America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But Pearl Jam has marked the time.

This band, this arena -- it's a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again.

Ohhhhhhhh, people will come.  People will most definitely come.”

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,783
    on2legs said:
    danofun said:
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:

Simply not true. Yes, two weeks before the concert tix were impossible to find and resale prices were insane.  24 hours before the show face value and 10C tix could be found with a little bit of effort.  TM also dropped great FACE VALUE seats the day of the show for verified fans. I do not recall ever seeing that for an act in high demand.  If you really wanted to go, it was not as hard as the last time they came around even though there was only one show. So many out of towners buy tix only to realize it will cost $1,000 in airfare and hotel to attend. Would there be 15x more demand for a residency than this time around?  I highly doubt it. It would be great for fans though, especially if they bundled posters and merchandise with each ticket.  ;) 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    Get_Right said:
    People have been speculating, discussing, and suggesting an NYC residency for years given the high demand for past shows. 15 MSG shows is roughly 300,000 tickets. That might be exactly what it takes to get tickets in the hands of real fans at "face value" or at a reasonable price for verified sales or premium. The more interesting question is could the 10C sell out its allotment of tickets for 15 nights at MSG.  Is there 15x the demand as there was for a single show? We know that TM/LN will deploy their usual tactics with any remaining seats. Given the fact that it was not as hard to get MSG tickets day of, and that TM in fact sold good, verified fan face value seats day of, (I am not sure I have seen this before with an act in high demand), I think the answer is most likely no unless the band promised something limited and special like no other shows for two years, acoustic sets or no repeats. But that is all just masturbatory speculation.  =)

Where is this coming from, that it was not hard to get tickets to msg the day of? There were a few TM drops in ones and twos, but they were always gone instantly. I tried often, did not get close. Stub hub prices were mostly over $600 with the occasional 300/400 section ticket falling to the “affordable “ range of $450. That’s not an easy ticket.